PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes and supplements

blueripper6
02-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Ive searched and found many different answers on the web. And I dont know whats credible and such.. so I was wondering if anyone here that has diabetes is using supplements or ephedrine or anything of the such.

I am thinking about taking creatine and protien shakes but I have read a whole bunch of shit about it so I dunno. im lookin for people who have taken it and I want to know how it affects your diabetes.. thanks

hockeybronx
02-08-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm no scientist, but I would say 90% of the side affects associated with creatine or protein that you hear about are caused by malnutrition by the user rather than the supplement.

If you are going to take Creatine, you need to drink water consistantly... 3-5 litres per day. Also you need to think about proper nourishment from food as well. In my opinion Creatine and Protein are safe as long as you drink water and don't rely solely on those two supplements.

Depending if you are hypoglycemic or hyperglycemic the sugars in creatine may alter your blood sugar levels to a point of worry. As long as you monitor your BGL (blood glucose level) you should be fine to take creatine.

davidI
02-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Protein supps can contain a lot of sugars and a lot of post-workout mixes are developed to cause an insulin spike so you should be very careful about what you are taking. This is something I would consult a doctor or dietician about.

blueripper6
02-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Insulin spike? meaning insulin production goes up?? if so I have no problem with that cause im diabetic!!

1badPT
02-09-2005, 05:53 PM
What he's getting at is post workout shakes contain a lot of sugar so your blood glucose would go way up, which would obviously cause problems for you. Yeah you need to go to a doctor on this one dude.

blueripper6
02-10-2005, 12:39 AM
True, but protien shakes have the information on the tub. I can adjust insulin for the carbs in the shakes. Im trying to stay away from bars cause they have fat and shit in them, and im trying to loose weight/gain muslce:thumbsup:

1badPT
02-10-2005, 01:12 AM
muscle is heavier than fat, if you're putting muscle on your weight will likely go up. Fats are not necessarily a bad thing if you're bulking. Having said that though, I don't eat protein bars either - IMO you're far better off eating the protein in your normal diet than in a processed food bar.

blueripper6
02-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Oooo.. I ment to say im trying to loose fat haha

Stickspoon
02-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Consult a doctor..I think excessive protein loads can cause your kidneys to fail..and as a diabetic, you are prone to kidney problems.

T-Dubbs
02-14-2005, 06:55 PM
proteins dont affect your blood sugars........

but then again im a terrible diabetic
so ill guess and say they arnt affected