PDA

View Full Version : so apparently, gaining muscle is 30% working out 70% diet

BumpinTalon
02-08-2005, 10:53 PM
here's what happened: I worked out for a year and only gained 10 pounds, from when I signed up to the gym to when I stopped going back in October. It was slow gaining, too, I put on 5 pounds instantly and then the last 5 were hard fought (maybe a pound every two months).
and now, I've been back at it since December and have tried three different workouts. the first one, drop sets, didn't work, pyramid didn't work, and for awhile my current one didn't work either. then I finally changed how I ate and all of the sudden I have put on ten pounds in three weeks and have actually benched more then I have ever in my life, finally.
turns out I just didn't eat enough to gain any real muscle.

so, to anybody who is going to start working out, I remember you drink enough milk to polish off a 4 liter jug in two days, just drinking it on your own. :) if you want to get a very good article describing how to gain 20 pounds of lean muscle in 12 weeks (what I'm aiming for), try to find the first Men's Health Muscle issue - it's the cover story - or search for it on the 'net, it might be available on their site now. he goes very in depth on how you should set up your diet, and he only mentions his workouts in passing.
just thought I share my success story now that I'm finally 162 pounds. still skinny though, I'm about 6 feet tall and my shorter friend who is only 5'7" and 145 looks a hell of a lot bigger then I do.

the workout looks like this:
SQUATS - 10, 8, 6 (increase weight between each set)
LEG CURLS - 10, 8, 6
BENCH PRESS - 10, 8, 6
BENT OVER ROWS - 10, 8, 6 (I use the same weight all three sets)
SHRUGS - 10, 8 (I use the same weight both sets)
LATERAL RAISES - 10, 8 (I never do these though, too lazy :D)
BICEP CURLS - supposed to be 10 but I do 8
TRICEP EXTENSIONS - supposed to be 10 but I do 8

The fundamental principal of the whole workout, is to get in and out of the gym in 45 minutes or so, before you body has exhausted its stores of energy. a lot of magazine workouts don't work because they wear your muscles out too quickly, and depend too much on isolation exercises.
bent over rows are probably better for your biceps then curls are. if you have proper form, on the last few reps you will really feel your biceps kicking it to help out and as well, you can notice that they seem and feel more pumped after a good set of bent over rows then they do after some curls.
on that same note, you could also replace the tricep extensions with bench dips. that would probably be better because not only are you getting your triceps, you are also working your upper back some more which will complement the rows quite nicely.
after I do the bench presses, I also do chest exercises using an exercise ball as well. they are hard to describe, but they help a fuckin lot. the first time I tried them I could only do four or five and I would wobble like madness but now I can do seven, rock solid, no problem and it has only been two weeks since I tried them first. if you have plateaued on bench, these will definitely help you.
1) assume a push up position with your hands on either side of an exercise ball, where is most comfortable. I try to keep them up top more, then on the sides. do a push up and touch your chest to the ball. return to the start position. you have to keep your calves, quads and glutes tight and stay on your tippy-toes. you have to concentrate on stability and touching your chest to the ball. try for three sets of eight immediately following your bench presses.
2) assume a push up position with your shins resting on the ball. make sure the ball is touching your feet (as far back as it will go). do a push up and try to touch your nose to the floor. you must concentrate, once again, on keeping your legs together and the ball immobile. three sets of eight.
there is a third one I haven't tried yet. you need two exercise balls of the same size. Put your feet on a bench, put one hand on either ball, and then do push-ups. it's probably hard as hell. three sets of eight.

the exercise ball thing is in the previous edition of men's health (december 2004).

...that's all I have to say for now :D

DUBBED
02-08-2005, 10:58 PM
holy christ you're 6' and 160?

I thought I was skinny and I'm 6'3" 210.

BumpinTalon
02-08-2005, 11:02 PM
haha I am just under 6' and just over 160 :D plus, it is even worse because I've only got something like 4% body fat. I am thin like madness, but also toned as hell.

mcshow
02-09-2005, 06:44 PM
yeah i have heard about a similar diet from one of my brothers buddies Ray Burton who is a personal trainer and he used to be 5'9" 5'10" or so and when he stared using basically this exact rutine he went from squating 90lbs to 405 in 3 months so 12 weeks

he said he put on crazy amounts of muscle and whenever he wants to gain muscle he will go back to full body workouts in the gym to gain size and strength

he also was a little more crazy though and would drink a 4 L jug of milk per day as well was taking tons amounts of protein and eating a lot, but it definately works but all depends on your level of dedication to teh program, because all you need is around 3 or 4 times per week at the gym for this routine

Fuji
02-09-2005, 08:09 PM
4% body fat? That is not much man. even 9% isn't much.

Chim
02-09-2005, 09:36 PM
The best exercise is the fork-to-mouth curl ;)

Charon
02-09-2005, 09:37 PM
I cant seem to find this Men's Health Muscle issue I would like to read it. Does anyone have a link ?

EnRich
02-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Whoever gets this article make sure you post it, kinda curious, wanna see it... Even though I want wanna gain anymore weight, I'd be interested to see how you build so much muscle at such a fast rate... Milk huh.....

BumpinTalon
02-09-2005, 11:09 PM
haha I have no scanner but I do have a digital camera. I'll put it on here if it is legible sometime tomorrow night.
basically he says what supplements do work/don't work, gives an in-depth explanation of his diet, good foods/bad foods, so on so forth. it's only around 6 pages I think.

Wildcat
02-09-2005, 11:46 PM
im familiar with it being 75% (3/4) diet, 25% (1/4) training. doesnt matter tho, same idea. since your still relativly small just think about eating as much as possible everyday (constantly eating till the brink of puking) and then when you go to the gym, fuck how much weight to reps ratios your doing. just give it 110% everytime you go, its the intensity of your workout thatll make you grow. ill bet the farm you will put on another 10lbs in less than a month. you can still capitalize on some newbie gains.

hell when i started lifting weights i was 6'3" <160lbs, lankyest mother fucker evvvar now im a cut 210lbs at the same height. and this is all over a year and a half or hard training.

cman
02-10-2005, 12:37 AM
i would be very interested in this article, please post.
im super skinny and super toned as well. i would like to become stronger and bigger though.

mix123
02-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Yeah get this up asap

hockeybronx
02-10-2005, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
fuck how much weight to reps ratios your doing. just give it 110% everytime you go, its the intensity of your workout thatll make you grow

If there is one statement that should summarize the health/fitness section it should be that one.

I hate the feeling when I get all swept up in "magical exercises", "supplementing", being paranoid about dieting... in the worst phases of my workout routines it seems I spend more time sitting at my computer researching workouts than actually workout.

Although it may be different if you are new to weight training or experienced, just pick up the weights and go for it... don't make it more complicated than it's supposed to be:thumbsup:

1badPT
02-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah I notice when I focus more on eating I get my most noticeable gains. I can give it at the gym as much as I want but the real gains are in the kitchen.

BumpinTalon
02-10-2005, 08:37 PM
so the digital camera thing didn't work out. I have to get off the computer at the moment, but I'll type it up a good summary later today.

mix123
02-11-2005, 10:35 AM
I look forward to it

EG STyLeZ
02-11-2005, 03:33 PM
you're forgetting one vital factor in gaining weight: REST. you can drink all the milk and workout all you want, but if you don't rest enough, then you're hooped.

badseed
02-12-2005, 09:50 AM
^ Rest is the most overlooked factor to effective resistance training. Anyone on regular resistance routines should ideally be gettin 7-8 hours sleep/day.

BumpinTalon
02-13-2005, 09:05 PM
alright so now I can't even find the magazine.
his diet wasn't rocket science though. his intro involved something to the effect of "it took a lot of effort. I did everything intense - I worked intense, ate in intense, even slept intense." uhh :D
calories: he aimed for around 2,700 or so per day based upon his body weight of about 160 pounds.
protein: 45% of his calories, he tossed around the figure 2.2-2.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight a day
carbs: 40% of his calories, to give him lots of energy to work out near his peak capacity (or at max intensity, whichever you prefer).
fat: 15% of his calories, to maintain a low body fat percentage throughout his massive gaining workout.

I'll try to find it. I'm goin to work oit at the moment though I'll have this for you guys sooner or later.