PDA

View Full Version : Min wage up to $7.00 in Alberta

abyss
02-09-2005, 04:39 PM
It's been a little while since the last one right? How nice of Ralphie to raise it for Alberta's birthday. HAHA time to ask for a raise everyone! (unless you're on salary...too bad for guys like Hampstor! ;) )

Speed_69
02-09-2005, 04:42 PM
is this true? the new min wage?

garyb
02-09-2005, 04:42 PM
its up from 5.90? thats a pretty big jump

abyss
02-09-2005, 04:45 PM
http://www.gov.ab.ca/home/index.cfm

It's on the front page so I'm pretty sure it's true.....:dunno:

Kobe
02-09-2005, 04:46 PM
aww i make more then 7. 00 used to make $5.90 haha

Making 8:50 right now

RiceCube
02-09-2005, 04:47 PM
that owns :D

Ben
02-09-2005, 04:48 PM
I think having a low minimum wage is motivation to do more with ones life. Im biased however, never worked a job at less than 10 an hour, even through school.

What is Albertas minimum wage? 5.90?

That is pretty low tho...I think 7.00 is a huge jump

abyss
02-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
aww i make more then 7. 00 used to make $5.90 haha

Making 8:50 right now

What? you mean it doesn't work like you automatically get the same increase in your current wage? ;) :rofl: dammit, I was kinda hopin for that 22%.....:D I remember making $5.00 per hour......boo I'm old.

Aleks
02-09-2005, 04:49 PM
When I started working when I was 14 min wage was 4.50/hour hhahahaah. man I thought it was the best thing ever. Ah good old times :bigpimp:

QuasarCav
02-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
When I started working when I was 14 min wage was 4.50/hour hhahahaah. man I thought it was the best thing ever. Ah good old times :bigpimp:

:werd:

Flipping burgers for 36/day kicked ass. I miss those days, I wonder if my salary will go up now:dunno:

Speed_69
02-09-2005, 04:54 PM
i've worked two jobs making $5.90/hr + tips
job after that made $7.00/hr
now i make $9.00/hr

Wildcat
02-09-2005, 04:55 PM
this is a proposition, you still wont see an increase in your wage for a few months yet. from the calgary herald:

EDMONTON -- Minimum wage earners in Alberta are getting a raise but they won't see an increase in their paycheques right away.

The Klein government has announced that the wage will rise to seven-dollars and hour from the current level of five-dollars, 90-cents.

But the province says employers will be asked whether the increase should be introduced all at once or in stages.

Human Resources and Employment Minister Mike Cardinal says the economy is strong and can sustain an increase.

It's estimated that about 11-thousand workers in Alberta earn the minimum wage.

It was last increased in 1999 in three stages over a 12-month period.

The Alberta Federation of Labour has said that seven-dollars is the minimum that workers in the province should be paid.

It says the current rate is the lowest minimum wage in Canada.

sputnik
02-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Funny to hear this since most typical minimum wage employers (Fast Food, Gas Stations, Grocery Stores) are already paying $7/hr or more. So this change will do little for anyones salary. Its more a political move to stop the constant Liberal/NDP criticism.

Mad$ella
02-09-2005, 05:28 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOO RALPH:thumbsup:

he is just looking to leave a legacy...

djayz
02-09-2005, 05:55 PM
wow...now i wont feel as good knowing im making 50 cents more than someone earning minimum wage

ohh well just looks like everythings gonna get a lot more expensive

finboy
02-09-2005, 06:01 PM
7/hour is still kind of crappy imo :dunno:

ryder_23
02-09-2005, 06:33 PM
^
:werd:

i make 8.10/hr at one job 10$/hr at another

both is shitty pay imo, but money is money.

Dave P
02-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Salary Owns

?????
02-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Other provinces may have higher min. wage but we're lucky we only pay 1 sales tax for everything we buy.

sputnik
02-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by finboy
7/hour is still kind of crappy imo :dunno:

minimum wage is partly meant to be an insentive to get an education and a better job.

2002civic
02-09-2005, 08:11 PM
yaim happy being a server this is a lot better , now the pay cheque might actually have something in it besides relying on tips

JordanLotoski
02-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
Salary Owns

id take hourly over salary anyday..unlesss its salary plus commsission.

Toma
02-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Its simply supply and demand. When workers are few, then wages have to go up to get them. Minimum wage is only there when the economy sucks ass, and lots of unemploymnet, it prevents expolitation.... we have not had an economy that bad for 15 years or so....

Calgary's burger flippers have been getting over $7 per hour for 4 years now, so this minimum wage increase has no real affect.....

Just inteneded to make Ralph look good. Token gesture really.

Charon
02-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Yowch, minimum wage was what helped me get an education. Digging for contractors was crap. Less then $15 an hour I won’t even get out of bed.
But during/after high school you can learn allot in those first few jobs. Like why you don’t want to do them the rest of your life.
Flipping burgers is not degrading, its an opportunity. You have to start somewhere, unless you want a job with the least amount of responsibility. (See American Beauty)

Foreign1
02-09-2005, 09:58 PM
i make 14 at one job.. and work at honda for 8... but OH MAN ARE DEALS GOOD!

Weapon_R
02-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Contrary to popular belief, minimum wage is actually not a good thing for workers, and it's done solely as a political move for politicians to look good. It serves NO purpose in society as it creates a definite basis for employers to hire.

davidI
02-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Contrary to popular belief, minimum wage is actually not a good thing for workers, and it's done solely as a political move for politicians to look good. It serves NO purpose in society as it creates a definite basis for employers to hire.

Agreed! Holden ripped apart minimum wage laws in Economics and I look at it as a political ploy.

YCB
02-09-2005, 11:05 PM
minimum wage will increase to $7.00... McDonald meals will now be $6.95 at least...

abyss
02-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by davidI

Agreed! Holden ripped apart minimum wage laws in Economics and I look at it as a political ploy.

I've listened to Hampstor yabber about Economics long enough (sorry honey) to catch that with every raise in minimum wage, costs will just increase to match it anyways, no real net gain. However, since I've just passed my three month probation period with my new employer I figure it'll be a good conversation peice during the review. If I don't get a raise...whatever, I already make way too much money for what I do. :devil:

Ben
02-10-2005, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by abyss

... since I've just passed my three month probation period with my new employer I figure it'll be a good conversation peice during the review. If I don't get a raise...whatever, I already make way too much money for what I do. :devil:

Well if minimum wage is too much for what you already do...time to make some far larger goals. I personally would feel insulted. I know you're probably a student...but still. Why settle for less.

7thgenvic
02-10-2005, 03:22 AM
dammit i guess my sweatshop job may require me to ask my boss for a raise! that spells trouble!

JK

lastprodigy
02-10-2005, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by YCB
minimum wage will increase to $7.00... McDonald meals will now be $6.95 at least...

:drama: bc its 8.00 and mcdeal is still 399

/////AMG
02-10-2005, 04:30 AM
:eek: That is a massive jump.

Minimum wage in the UK is £4.85, over $10 CDN but shit is expensive here.

Would they start rasing prices over there???1

abyss
02-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Ben

Well if minimum wage is too much for what you already do...time to make some far larger goals. I personally would feel insulted. I know you're probably a student...but still. Why settle for less.

I never said that I make even close to minimum wage. I get paid more than double the new minimum wage limit to do something that a lot of people only get paid minimum wage to do. I do have higher goals, but they will have to wait another year until I finish school.

TrevorK
02-10-2005, 11:39 AM
It may not affect most employee's wages - but I wonder how many small businesses will use this as an excuse to raise prices....

sputnik
02-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Toma
Just inteneded to make Ralph look good. Token gesture really.

Ralph is damned if he does... and damned if he doesnt.

I hate this Liberal/NDP flip flopping.

Ben
02-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Ralph is damned if he does... and damned if he doesnt.

I hate this Liberal/NDP flip flopping.

Amen!

WWJAI
02-10-2005, 03:00 PM
there's gonna be INFLATION:thumbsdow

HillBilly
02-10-2005, 03:44 PM
i'm so glad my days of min wage are over. Scraping wax frames to extract honey from them for 10 hours a day...... at 5/hour under the table

Sure is good motivation though.... I now make well over 4 times min wage at 24 years old. I think everyone should work for min wage at least once in their life.

BumpinTalon
02-10-2005, 03:56 PM
I never worked for minimum wage before, but that's going to change. YAY! fuck I feel even poorer then I was a few days ago. I suck at finding jobs.

sputnik
02-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Amen!

Seriously though. The Liberal/NDP activists go on a rampage crying that our minimum wage is causing hundreds of thousands of people to live in poverty.

So Ralph increases the minimum wage and they call it a political popularity stunt because "pretty much everyone is already making $7/hr or more".

Will the left parties EVER have stance on something and stick with it? Looks like there is no pleasing them, they are like a bunch of spoiled kids who beg their parents for ice cream and when they get ice cream they complain because they REALLY wanted something else.

Toma
02-10-2005, 05:48 PM

Seriously though. The Liberal/NDP activists go on a rampage crying that our minimum wage is causing hundreds of thousands of people to live in poverty.

So Ralph increases the minimum wage and they call it a political popularity stunt because "pretty much everyone is already making $7/hr or more".

Will the left parties EVER have stance on something and stick with it? Looks like there is no pleasing them, they are like a bunch of spoiled kids who beg their parents for ice cream and when they get ice cream they complain because they REALLY wanted something else.
I never complained minimum wage was too low. If we were in a BAD economy, $5.95 is too low. We are the wealthiest province. So minimum wage is not normally a factor.

So, do you guys know ANYONE of legal working age making less then $7/hr now?

TrevorK
02-11-2005, 09:26 AM

I never complained minimum wage was too low. If we were in a BAD economy, $5.95 is too low. We are the wealthiest province. So minimum wage is not normally a factor.

So, do you guys know ANYONE of legal working age making less then $7/hr now?

Many stores, like DQ, etc.... all pay minimum wage.

Toma
02-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by TrevorK

No actually they do not.

Like I said, do you know ANYONE that actually makes minimum wage?

HillBilly
02-11-2005, 09:56 AM

let me guess.... you work at DQ for min wage right?

Toma
02-11-2005, 09:56 AM
LOL I take that back ;)

I sometimes forget that there are other cities in Alberta besides Calgary lol.

Yeah, I can see someone somehwere in some hick town making minimum wage :nut:

hjr
02-11-2005, 03:51 PM

Will the left parties EVER have stance on something and stick with it? Looks like there is no pleasing them, they are like a bunch of spoiled kids who beg their parents for ice cream and when they get ice cream they complain because they REALLY wanted something else. jesus, i hate it when people generalize like this. quite anoying.

anyways, the stats show that about 11 000 people make minimum wage in alberta, so they will be seeing a big increace. what percentage of the total workforce that is i dont know, but i wouldnt guess very much. This is probably why some individuals dont consider it a big issue (on all sides of the debate).

Tyler883
02-11-2005, 03:57 PM
11,000 people is not a large group of people.

This is a sign that the increase was long overdue, because most employers were already paying more.

GQBalla
02-11-2005, 04:29 PM
hmm so when does this new minimum wage increase??

abyss
02-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
hmm so when does this new minimum wage increase??

I believe it is already in effect, however I think businesses may have a whole year to implement it.

DayGlow
02-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by hjr
jesus, i hate it when people generalize like this. quite anoying.

anyways, the stats show that about 11 000 people make minimum wage in alberta, so they will be seeing a big increace. what percentage of the total workforce that is i dont know, but i wouldnt guess very much. This is probably why some individuals dont consider it a big issue (on all sides of the debate).

I'd love to see how many people of that 11,000 work at a job that makes tips. I worked at a minium wage job for 5 years serving tables and I never walked out of there with less than $100 in my pocket every night from tips. Hell I tipped out more during a pay period than I brought in with my pay cheque.

But according to the stats I was a grunt worker.

hjr
02-12-2005, 01:44 PM
probably a fair amount of them

Gondi Stylez
02-14-2005, 02:27 AM
LOL I take that back ;)

My brother worked at Wendys for 6.25 which is basically min. wage!

5.9 R/T
02-14-2005, 03:33 AM
I know lots of people who make minimum wage, they're all in the service industry. I also know people who are making 10-15 dollars an hour, and those people making minimum wage still take home more money, and depending on how much you declare around 50% of it is tax free. This raise won't mean much to those people working service though, since in an average 80hr/2week sched it doesn't even amount to 100 bucks more gross. But for those of us who get paid slightly better then minimum wage for good work/excellent service/more experience this increase in minimum wage means the lazy shitholes that we work with and are constantly picking up slack for are now making the same or slightly less then us.

TrevorK
02-14-2005, 10:03 AM

No actually they do not.

Like I said, do you know ANYONE that actually makes minimum wage?

Yes I do.

At DQ.

How do I know?

I used to be the one paying minimum wage.

TrevorK
02-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Stealth R/T

let me guess.... you work at DQ for min wage right?

I used to hire all the minimum wagers.

There's an unlimited supply of people willing to work for minimum wage - at least for high schoolers.

HillBilly
02-14-2005, 10:15 AM

I used to hire all the minimum wagers.

There's an unlimited supply of people willing to work for minimum wage - at least for high schoolers.

I bet they are a really dedicated employee too. Probably quit their job at the drop of a hat.

abyss
02-14-2005, 10:19 AM

I bet they are a really dedicated employee too. Probably quit their job at the drop of a hat.

That's the price of the retail/fast food industry. You have to expect that, plus you'll usually end up getting a few "lifers" that are really good and loyal...(me at Canadian Tire) stayed for 6 years.

TrevorK
02-14-2005, 10:33 AM

Absolutely - most quit within 6 months.

Any that stay, or show potential obviously got a raise. But there's no reason to pay someone more than minimum who you know is only there for a couple months or does an average job.

irfaan
02-18-2005, 02:00 AM
there's a whole bunch of you saying that the wage increase is nothing.. 'it wont make a difference', its 'not a big deal'. You're out of your minds!!

Why do we increase the wage? Just like one of you said on page one, simple supply/demand. We increase wage to increase the demand on the jobs less people want to work. But this is only positively effective on a FAILING economy employment wise.

Alberta has a booming economy, a monetary surplus and a very low unemployment rate. So why increase the wage? It will prove to be detremental to the albertan economy.

We increase wages, which reduces the supply of avaliable job spots. Fewer employers willing to higher people at the higher 'minimum' wage. Meaning more layoffs for those people these companies cant reasonably afford to keep. Less people are employed, therefore, unemployment goes up! scarcity economics comes into play, and its worse on the economy.

This is not helping to grow our economy. We didn't need hte wage increase. Things will be more expensive, and employment will go down.

irf.

Maxt
02-26-2005, 10:55 AM
LOL I take that back ;)

I live in "hickville" alberta.... My gf was working in the "foodservices" industry, and making 8.00/hr to start and its gone up since then, even the local greasey spoon here is advertising at 9.50 for "hostess"....
A friend of mine owns a powerdercoating business, he is looking for anyone to do a very simple task at his plant , currently he is offering 13.00.hr to start, he found no interested at 11.00/hr and yes its full time, its not the prettiest job, but even your average mustang owner could do it...:)...

yeahisaidit
03-02-2005, 04:45 PM
i make 17.12/h. So mhuaawww to all of you,lol :nut:

abyss
03-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by yeahisaidit
i make 17.12/h. So mhuaawww to all of you,lol :nut:

and yet you still drive around in a Cavalier..........;)

Speed_69
03-02-2005, 04:52 PM

:rofl:

yeahisaidit
03-02-2005, 05:18 PM

hahahah, i can thank my self for that, see here, lol

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78573