PDA

View Full Version : correct me if im wrong but...in school it is not allowed to force somone to

Pages : [1] 2

TomTom
02-09-2005, 04:58 PM
I thought I remember something 1/2 way during highschool about the school/goverment no longer being able to force a student to go up infront of the glass and give oral reports if they did not feel comfortable in doing it, thus failing some students that just could not get up and do it due to various reasons.

Now did I just make this up in my head at the time or is this real? and if so where can I get information on it, it has become a major problem with somone that I would like to help. if its true where can i get the real info on it? thanks

DayGlow
02-09-2005, 05:08 PM
no idea, but they should get used to doing it. LIfe ain't easy and if they fold on every challange, they are only letting themselves down.

School seems to coddle people way too much these days.

abyss
02-09-2005, 05:09 PM
http://www.cbe.ab.ca/contactus/

Why don't you call them and ask, I'm sure they could answer or find someone that could answer your question.

Ben
02-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
no idea, but they should get used to doing it. LIfe ain't easy and if they fold on every challange, they are only letting themselves down.

I agree.

I think the beatings from the early 1900's need to be reinstated.

TomTom
02-09-2005, 05:21 PM
if my teacher beat me i would of smashed his face off his desk untill he was outcold.(laugh if you want, say im talking shit but there are so many students if you treat like that you are going to end up sorry)

but i know i was not fored too do it and did not get introuble when i refused so i dont know if i was allowed to do that due to other reasons or what but i think it was for everyone.

thanks for the link..

Melinda
02-09-2005, 05:26 PM
I think it only applies if the subject of the presentation is enough to distress someone. For instance, the teacher asks a student to write about the worst thing to ever happen to them and they write about losing a parent or something. Either that or perhaps an opinionated piece that would potentially have other students turning against the presenter just based on what he/she said.

You cant just refuse to do it because you dont like public speaking, you have to have a really good reason/excuse. And most of the time, teachers tell you well in advance if an oral presentation is going to happen, don't they?

Wildcat
02-09-2005, 05:30 PM
if you dont want to do it, your shooting yourself in the foot. you have to do a shitload of presentations in university, so get used to it. and no i dont think ther is any bylaw stating that.

however there is a bylaw for students who do not want to do disections in highschool or university. if they dont feel comfortable doing it they can contact their prof who has to assign an alternative assignment/r written report and it will be marked without predjudice.

Talies R
02-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by TomTom
if my teacher beat me i would of smashed his face off his desk untill he was outcold.(laugh if you want, say im talking shit but there are so many students if you treat like that you are going to end up sorry)

You should learn some respect. I didn't laugh, I just thought you sounded like dumb high school student.

If you think oral presentations are tough in high school, wait until you move on into the real world where your success depends on giving a good presentation. I would tell your friend to suck it up and use this as good practise.

sputnik
02-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Sorry dude. But if you are too scared to give an oral presentation, you might as well drop out now and start collecting welfare.

Life is full of oral presentations. How do you expect to get a job if you are too scared to get interviewed? If you dont learn now, you never will.

What is it with schools/teachers being such pansies these days. I remember even when I was in elementary school getting grabbed by a teacher and dragged out of class for goofing off. If that rule is in fact true... it looks like my generation will be supporting those older and younger than me.

Weapon_R
02-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Sorry dude. But if you are too scared to give an oral presentation, you might as well drop out now and start collecting welfare.

haha or take engineering.

sputnik
02-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Talies R

You should learn some respect. I didn't laugh, I just thought you sounded like dumb high school student.

:werd:

TomTom you need to get a reality check. What happens when your boss does something you dont agree with? Gonna "smash his face" too?

I hate to say it, but with your lack of respect to authority and your apparent attempt at using a technicality to get out of something you dont want to do, you are probably going to be someone that isnt going to be looked to highly at by many employers.

streetarab
02-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
HA! im takin engineering, of the mechanical sort, no presentations? or not many?

Weapon_R
02-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by streetarab

HA! im takin engineering, of the mechanical sort, no presentations? or not many?

Are you asking me? Because I have no clue. I was just playing off the standard stereotype that all engineers have no confidence and shy away from public

sputnik
02-09-2005, 05:56 PM

Are you asking me? Because I have no clue. I was just playing off the standard stereotype that all engineers have no confidence and shy away from public

They just shy away from females. However, the last time I checked, most women dont appreciate guys that dont like giving "oral presentations".

:poosie:

TomTom
02-09-2005, 06:02 PM
I finished school a couple years ago but i can remember excally, i can do an interview fine, i can public speak i have been in a job where i need to tell groups of people what to do and have had no problem, in school i did, i need a reality check? do you even begin to even have a clue as to how many people are just like me? prob 3 out of the 5 you sat around in class and didnt even know it. and ya if my teacher hit me i would do it right back i never said i would just do it at random. my lack of respect? lol good thing you dont need to have any University to joing the CPS hey, ya for me, and I allready make alot more than any teacher that made me do that stuff infront of classs and forced me to feel like shit.

school is not real life, and the way I acted in highscool in no way reflects the way I act in my current life, Nothing they did affected me and if anything it set me behind cause there idea of the real world they are preping you for and the actual real world are of two complete opposites.

i asked a simple question, i get this...this is actually a very good topic to talk about theres alot of good points here.

Wildcat
02-09-2005, 06:10 PM
hah, those crazy engineer geeks :rofl:

kelly
02-09-2005, 06:10 PM
fuck school who cares school is a prison. We are been held at school for no reason why waste a quatre of our life? But its sad because in todays society we have to go to school to get jobs etc. Life is horrible now its like freaking slavery because you have to work if you don't you will die. Well their is things like wildfair but now of days people have to work and go to school its a god damn prison. Life shouldn't be like that. When you think about it time and money are the key things in life and they were also inveted by man. Why do we need money and time people would be so much more relaxed and not stressed if they were gone. I feel bad for people who are poor especially because of todays set standards which have been brought to you by the media. Kids should have to go to school worrying what they look like. Kids today are in bad condition they spend a lot of their time in front of the tv. And tv is a horrible it's almost like herroin its so addictive and bad for you. When you wacht tv you don't use your brain you just see images that take away from the world and it's problems. Kind a like a junky away from the world. In a recent study it's shows that alot of kids now can't make their own personallity they just steel it form tv.I often ask myself what would a kid be like if he grew up without media would their even be words like ugly or cool would he judge people or would he see everybody as the same I can't beleive how fucked the world is yah sure in school they teach us about the problems but never will ever change. I read on the internet their was this teacher who had been a teacher for like 50 years and he had won a lot of awards and he finally figured it out. School is just to prepaire for salvary. In school they teache us to listen, they tell us that we need a job, even the teachers get severely depressed in us when we don't do an assignement... well it's hard to explain but i will find the link and you can read it for yourselves

kelly
02-09-2005, 06:11 PM
sorry for the mistakes i was in a hurry

GTS Jeff
02-09-2005, 06:26 PM

:rofl:

Originally posted by TomTom
and I allready make alot more than any teacher that made me do that stuff infront of classs and forced me to feel like shit.

wow so heres the source of all this anger

Originally posted by kelly
fuck school who cares school is a prison. We are been held at school for no reason why waste a quatre of our life? But its sad because in todays society we have to go to school to get jobs etc. Life is horrible now its like freaking slavery because you have to work if you don't you will die. Well their is things like wildfair but now of days people have to work and go to school its a god damn prison. Life shouldn't be like that. When you think about it time and money are the key things in life and they were also inveted by man. Why do we need money and time people would be so much more relaxed and not stressed if they were gone. I feel bad for people who are poor especially because of todays set standards which have been brought to you by the media. Kids should have to go to school worrying what they look like. Kids today are in bad condition they spend a lot of their time in front of the tv. And tv is a horrible it's almost like herroin its so addictive and bad for you. When you wacht tv you don't use your brain you just see images that take away from the world and it's problems. Kind a like a junky away from the world. In a recent study it's shows that alot of kids now can't make their own personallity they just steel it form tv.I often ask myself what would a kid be like if he grew up without media would their even be words like ugly or cool would he judge people or would he see everybody as the same I can't beleive how fucked the world is yah sure in school they teach us about the problems but never will ever change. I read on the internet their was this teacher who had been a teacher for like 50 years and he had won a lot of awards and he finally figured it out. School is just to prepaire for salvary. In school they teache us to listen, they tell us that we need a job, even the teachers get severely depressed in us when we don't do an assignement... well it's hard to explain but i will find the link and you can read it for yourselves

lol! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: this is what happens when u dont go to school kids! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TomTom
02-09-2005, 06:30 PM
lol alot of anger? not really sure if thats it, it was an experience thats forsure, and all experiences good and bad help you learn alot about yourself in life, its all about how you take them and learn from them, some people choose bad things from it and some make good from them. most people wouldnt even belive me if i told them about what happened my time in highschool, i respected a couple of my teachers very much as a person and as a teacher, but theres always some....if anything them being dickheads made me want better than what they would expect, and i have it.

for the record i loved highschool i had way too much fun.

Superesc
02-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Talies R

If you think oral presentations are tough in high school, wait until you move on into the real world where your success depends on giving a good presentation. I would tell your friend to suck it up and use this as good practise.

My thoughts exactly. School is forgiving if you screw up, it's a good place to practice. It's not as forgiving when you screw up doing a presentation to a client...

Skyline_Addict
02-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

lol! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: this is what happens when u dont go to school kids! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

my thoughts exactly.

Aye Heit Skoul!

kelly
02-09-2005, 07:03 PM
oh their is no anger it's just the truth about society and "go to school kids" they don't teach you that stuff in school cause they don't want you to find out you retard

Super_Geo
02-09-2005, 07:14 PM

oh their is no anger it's just the truth about society and "go to school kids" they don't teach you that stuff in school cause they don't want you to find out you retard

How old are you?

Moonracer
02-09-2005, 07:15 PM
I always refused to do oral presentations in school and I turned out alright. I grew out of my shell and now you can't shut me up at times.

Melinda
02-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
How old are you?
Profile says he was born in 1988...not even out of school yet.

Give it a few more years kelly, you'll see the bigger picture...did your teacher hurt your feelings or yell at you for skipping class? Grow up a little and you'll get it

Skyline_Addict
02-09-2005, 07:28 PM

learn to :english: before you call others a retard. that way you will be able to present an argument/opinion that:

a) people can read!
b) people can respect.
c) and something MAYBE people can agree with.

your lashing out in grade one english only shows your lack of refinement in an area you may not have as much knowledge about as you might think. i know you're angry, and yeah, school sucks....but could you say it in english please? writing/presenting your knowledge properly is important in any language - it conveys idealogies, facts, etc. in a way whic his understandable and agreeable.

kelly
02-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Oh i know my english I'm just a bad typer because i don't sit on the computer all day i'm surprised you guys took my opinion so seriously

kelly
02-09-2005, 07:40 PM
i never said you have to agree with it

Skyline_Addict
02-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Oh i know my english I'm just a bad typer because i don't sit on the computer all day i'm surprised you guys took my opinion so seriously

the ". , - : ;" are all on the keyboard too.....
so you're basically saying that you wasted your time (and our time) typing all that verbal diarrhea because you weren't serious? what're you trying to prove? that "you fucking hate school teachers suck i hate them they just tell us what to do" but at the same time you're just kidding?

hmmm...
anyways, i don't think anyone here is taking you seriously...so don't worry about that.

R-Audi
02-09-2005, 07:43 PM
I find it funny that both people complaining can't properly
A. Spell; or
B. Use proper grammar

Maybe if you listened and actually did your work you wouldnt been in this situation. I may be wrong but isn't it legal to drop out at the age of 16? If you think you can do better on your own (like some can...see thread: School vs No School) Then Do it! Dont come on here complaining about your High School or teachers disrespecting you. Ever heard of getting back what you put in?

If you can't handle an Oral presentation, dont take classes that require them! (Stay away from Business!!)
And as far as I know, you can choose to complete whichever assignments you wish, but dont be suprised if you fail the ones you don't do!

Skyline_Addict
02-09-2005, 07:44 PM
i never said you have to agree with it

i'm not saying people have to agree with your opinions or idealogies....i'm saying that if you put some more effort into constructing a feasible argument, then people will agree with your right to say what you're saying!

Singel
02-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Teachers are horrible people, they're soul purpose in life is to ruin their students lives. Why else would they get into the profession:dunno:

WhiteNikes
02-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Maybe they's someone who ain't really undastand slavery. Slavery ain't workin' 8 hrs wit 15 min breaks. Slavery ain't lunch time. slavery ain't gettin' an education t' do what you wanna do in life. Slavery ain't gettin' paid. slavery ain't goin home t' yo family. You could do all them things if got a JOB. Ain't no one in slavery got none a that. Maybe you ain't neva met someone that likes they job, but they's nuff cats that do. I'd rather be workin' at McDonalds than pickin' cot dyam cotton' for someone who'd work me till I can't stand erry day till I die. Someone could get by wit no $$ 'n' no job, they could go ahead. I got a pretty good idea that goin' t' school be pretty safe. 'For you start comlainin' bout how things is bad 'n' how we got 'slavery' here, please believe, they's millions of cats in Africa that'd give erry thing they got t' be where you at RIGH NOW.

As far as not giving presentations goes. You gotta learn sometime 'n' seems like school be a good time t' learn things.

Barking_Spidre
02-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
I find it funny that both people complaining can't properly
A. Spell; or
B. Use proper grammer

Just thought I'd let you know. its grammar, with an "a", not an "e".
Way to self own yourself. :rofl:

I hated speaking up in front of the class, I have my reason.

R-Audi
02-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Barking_Spidre

Just thought I'd let you know. its grammar, with an "a", not an "e".
Way to self own yourself. :rofl:

I hated speaking up in front of the class, I have my reason.

Burn!
Ah well, I'm not a english major, I was a business student!

(I did edit it however, Thanks!)

Charon
02-09-2005, 09:32 PM

Its too bad humans are a slave to food and shelter. Well if you want you can be a bush man and go live off the land. Only that would have taken years of teaching from parents. Live a life where you work hard every day to simply survive and have a luxury called food. Or slave to our society where you can have something called free time and not a huge worry about how you will find food to survive. Yea a job sounds terrible as opposed to starving to death. With that kind of attitude you will probably end up working in a trendy coffee shop and be the guru of what is life........ with all of your life experiances......

Carfanman
02-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Kelly, I felt just like you and I left school, legally. PM me for details.

tomtom wasnt talking about smashing the teachers face for making him give a presentation, he said hed do it if the teacher beat him. That crap about not smashing your bosses face for doing something you dont want, If he hits you you have every right to fight back. I would have hurt my teachers to if he hits me too. Most of the ppl who says kids should be beat seem to feel that kids arent as human and dont have the same rights to respect as adults. Thats fuking bull.

I guess my post is going to get ignored and my grammar will be flammed because the flammers dont agree with me and want to find some way to make me look bad because I was touch typing fast and this isnt a fuking essay for me to go proof read.

[/ semi-rant]

R-Audi
02-09-2005, 10:08 PM
I am not here to flame people for dropping out. If you dont like it, do something about it, which some people have. Just don't come on here complaining about it. If its that bad, do something about it!

Carfanman:
If droppping out of hghschool has worked for you, kudos BUT you are not in the majority. School can be hard work, and it can suck. Just think what is says about you to a future employer....School was hard so I droppped out....I didnt like it!
Do you think you will be working great easy jobs without a highschool dilpoma (if not more)??? I am not saying that education is the best route for everyone, but I would think at least getting your highschool diploma is worth while......

Singel
02-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman
Kelly, I felt just like you and I left school, legally. PM me for details.

tomtom wasnt talking about smashing the teachers face for making him give a presentation, he said hed do it if the teacher beat him. That crap about not smashing your bosses face for doing something you dont want, If he hits you you have every right to fight back. I would have hurt my teachers to if he hits me too. Most of the ppl who says kids should be beat seem to feel that kids arent as human and dont have the same rights to respect as adults. Thats fuking bull.

I guess my post is going to get ignored and my grammar will be flammed because the flammers dont agree with me and want to find some way to make me look bad because I was touch typing fast and this isnt a fuking essay for me to go proof read.

[/ semi-rant]

wasn't he'd fucking flamed flamers isn't fucking :D

I didn't notice the brilliant irony of comparing one of our greatest privileges/rights that we have in free education to slavery during black history month. Brilliant. Maybe on April 7th (Off the top of my head I think thats the right date)you can compare your tragic life to getting killed by an atomic bomb. I'm sure the Japanese specifically will be very sympathetic.:drama:

Carfanman
02-09-2005, 10:31 PM
^Thing is, if people werent so used to it, and used to being given work without using their imagination, then it would be right for more people. I know alot of people are going to disagree on that one, but contary to popular belief, human are not so stupid that they need to be have knowledge forced into them. Think about when you were a baby and a toddler. You were interested in everything around you, and learned alot, including how to walk and talk, without anyone forcing you to. Then a few years later you went to school nad slowly your desire to learn was gone. And thats why now alot of people couldnt quit school and still have good lives.

You dont say to your employer, I quit school cuz I didnt like it, you say, I didnt feel that traditional schooling was good for me, Instead I learned based on my interest, (then you name your interests and things you have accomplished by following them). As for the diploma, the GED is equivalent and takes about 30 days of studying, not 4 years. I read somewhere that the average person who got a highschool diploma couldnt pass it.

Charon
02-09-2005, 10:39 PM
I say let them think however they want. It is a right.... and we all need someone to bag my groceries! (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=dumbassjocks)

WhiteNikes
02-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Singel

I didn't notice the brilliant irony of comparing one of our greatest privileges/rights that we have in free education to slavery during black history month. Brilliant.
At first i were wonderin' what he were thinkin', but then I realized he prolly ain't even know.

cycosis
02-09-2005, 11:04 PM

well, im going to school cause i want to be able to afford "toys" down the road such as cars and a decent home. immature people like yourself ned to stop thinking a month in advacne and up to 10 years or even more. its people like u that will end up as hobos wiht your "i dont give a fuck, fuck authority" attitude. all i can say is, when your asking me for chnage, ill give u the royal salute. good day sir

Singel
02-09-2005, 11:14 PM
^Thing is, if people werent so used to it, and used to being given work without using their imagination, then it would be right for more people. I know alot of people are going to disagree on that one, but contary to popular belief, human are not so stupid that they need to be have knowledge forced into them. Think about when you were a baby and a toddler. You were interested in everything around you, and learned alot, including how to walk and talk, without anyone forcing you to. Then a few years later you went to school nad slowly your desire to learn was gone. And thats why now alot of people couldnt quit school and still have good lives.

You dont say to your employer, I quit school cuz I didnt like it, you say, I didnt feel that traditional schooling was good for me, Instead I learned based on my interest, (then you name your interests and things you have accomplished by following them). As for the diploma, the GED is equivalent and takes about 30 days of studying, not 4 years. I read somewhere that the average person who got a highschool diploma couldnt pass it.

As toddlers we are educated to do all of those things by our parents. The education process doesn't just happen on its own, you need to learn how to learn. That's what school's all about, it may be a pointless process considering we don't really use many of the specifics learned in school, but its all based on perspective.

"And thats why now alot of people couldnt quit school and still have good lives."
:confused:

As far as he GED goes that is probably true. Someone with their GED also probably couldn't pass SAT's or our diplomas...A PhD in philosophy probly couldn't pass a first year astro-physics exam, that doesn't make someone with 1 year of astrophysics any more or less intelligent than the philosopher and vice-versa. You can't compare apples and oranges.

So how long ago did you withdraw or whatever the term is, and what are you up to know/planning for the future? Ialways hear about the major success stories, but never the day to day road to getting there. Like where are you working, etc. and if you've faced any major troubles or anything yet...

Carfanman
02-10-2005, 11:35 AM
I remember last time I got into this discussion on beyond, my posts got deleted, so I just want to make clear that Im not flaming, and Im not trying to start a fight, Im just looking to have a civil discussion.

I think the people who are saying that people who dont go to school are going to be (low-paying job here), are thinking of the steriotypicall (sp?) drop-out, who gets high and hangs out infront of the bar during the day. There are so many people who learn based on thier interests, get thier ged, get exepted to ivy league universitys because they have many accomplishments, and get great jobs. One of the things school teaches you to do is to slave a way at a 9-5 job, get paid whatever salary you can, and if your lucky, make alot of money, although scince you never learnt how to manage money in school (Besides learning how to balance a checkbook), people just keep digging themselves deeper into debt treating every $100000 they get like $200000 or more (no, not everyone, but most people who make a six figure income, and even some who dont). What I plan to do is make my money flipping real estate (which, contrary to what the media makes you think, is not illegal), create a business system that doesnt require my constant supervision, and invest int the stock market. I also plan to get a job using my interests, such as architecture and computers, although I want the job because I enjoy it, not becuase I'll starve otherwise.
School teaches you to be the employee, I want to learn how to be the owner.

Im not saying everyone has to do that, but even if you dont, there are plenty of homeschoolers (or actually unschoolers) who get good high paying jobs.

BTW, I left in october of this year.

If anyone is interested, a great book that got me started, is "The Teenage Liberation Handbook" which is on amazon.

Im sorry if I offended anyone, I dont expect most people to agree with me, what im saying goes against what most people have been told scince the day they were born

sputnik
02-10-2005, 11:54 AM
What I plan to do is make my money flipping real estate (which, contrary to what the media makes you think, is not illegal), create a business system that doesnt require my constant supervision, and invest int the stock market. I also plan to get a job using my interests, such as architecture and computers, although I want the job because I enjoy it, not becuase I'll starve otherwise.

BTW, I left in october of this year.

So how do you expect to be an architect without any education? Last time I checked, all architects had a degree in architecture (who would have though?).

How do you plan to get the money required to buy houses to flip without a good job and a big downpayment? No steady income = no mortgage. The media doesnt say that flipping real estate is illegal, not paying the capital gains tax on the sale IS illegal though.

Where are you planning to get enough money together to be able to make a living investing in the stock market?

R-Audi
02-10-2005, 12:10 PM

Since I have recently graduated from University with a degree in Business, I think I am fairly competent in arguing against your comment.

From the schooling I have received, the major focus has been teaching you how to use certain skills that you have acquired, (through schooling) and most of all to think independantly. This has nothing to do with being the employer or the employee. The main thing that seperates the two is drive. If you work your ass off in any job, there is typically always room for advancement. If you want to be your own boss, thats up to you. Some people are quite happy working their 9-5 job, and having a steady paycheck. Once you have a family, Its tough to take risks with money that your family is depending on.

I think thats great that you have a plan set out for yourself, and hopefully you also have a plan to get that stuff done. If you can be succesful without feeling the need for education kudos for you.

The main thing I got from the last thread was that in order to be succesful in life you DO need some sort of education, whether it being in a formal setting like highschool/University or a self taught (computers etc) And the people that are successful in life are the ones driven to gain more knowledge about their particualr interests, not being content with status quo.

Carfanman
02-10-2005, 12:28 PM
I want to make clear that I am not against university, although I dont think that everyone has to go, I feel that the way they teach there is very different and much more free than elementery or high school.
Therefore,

sputnik: I would go to school for architecture.

and
R-Audi: I understand that college teaches you business skills, but not highschool.

Also, I just came back from a seminar on how to flip real estate without spending anymoney before you make money. Im not going to explain how to do it now, because that a whole seperate topic, but it is possible.
Then with the money from that, id invest in the stock market, After reading books on how to invest wisely.

I think that the main reason most highschool dropouts ruin thier life and dont learn on thier own is because, they hated school, and to them learning is school, so theres no way they want to learn on thier own, because that to them means more boring work. people who never went to school dont associate it with learing though.
Another thing, although I went to school to long to vouch for this, is that I read that people who never went to school, never went through that stage of rebelling against authority, because they have alot more freedom, and authority isnt that bad to them.

I think thats great that you have a plan set out for yourself, and hopefully you also have a plan to get that stuff done. If you can be succesful without feeling the need for education kudos for you.

Thank you.

Aleks
02-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Just want to quickly jump in and say that in Engineering you have LOTS of presentations! And now that Im working there is even more. Basically anything that you do, you end up having to present it to someone in the company...

Also not all engineers are dorks...I myself am one of them Cool KATZ :poosie:

Singel
02-10-2005, 01:31 PM
So how old are you? Are still still living at home and how do your parents feel about your decision. Are you currently working anywhere? Not trying to criticize or anything, just curious for more of a background to your situation

Aleks
02-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Singel
So how old are you? Are still still living at home and how do your parents feel about your decision. Are you currently working anywhere? Not trying to criticize or anything, just curious for more of a background to your situation

Are you asking me?

Singel
02-10-2005, 02:18 PM
No, Carfanman. Sorry for confusion

sputnik
02-10-2005, 02:24 PM
sputnik: I would go to school for architecture.

and
R-Audi: I understand that college teaches you business skills, but not highschool.

Also, I just came back from a seminar on how to flip real estate without spending anymoney before you make money. Im not going to explain how to do it now, because that a whole seperate topic, but it is possible.
Then with the money from that, id invest in the stock market, After reading books on how to invest wisely.

How do you expect to get into (or complete) an architecture degree program if you cant even complete the simple task of high school?

Please start a new thread about your real estate skills. I am VERY interested in hearing how you can buy houses without any money.

Carfanman
02-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Singel: Im 14, My parents are very supportive and are thinking about taking my little sister out of school to. They told me they never liked the education I was getting but they didnt know there was another way. Right now my only job is walking someones dog, but Im mostly keeping that job because I like dogs but cant have one in my apartment, I might quit my job soon. I also plan to help my dad with some of the real estate stuff because Im to young to sign a contract and most people wouldnt feel comfortable doing business with a 14 year old anyway.

sputnik: Just because I chose to leave highschool doesnt mean Im incapable of finishing it, I just chose to leave because it wasnt good for me.
Architecture is something I enjoy and even when parts of it get boring, I choose to take it on and learn it, so I will.

As for the real estate. Im not saying I have "skills". First of all I havent done anything yet and second of all anyone can do it if they want to learn how.
Im not going to start a thread but if you want to start one Ill post in it. I expect a lot of critizism because it goes against all conventional wisdom.

TomTom
02-10-2005, 02:49 PM
R-Audi i was not complaining i was asking for a friend of mine i am out of school, i really do not care how i type or spell on the internet if i dont make my i i i i I capitals it really dosnt matter, i dont know about most peoples schools but you wouldnt belive how many people fail, our school had a 54% graduating class i belive it was, the next 2 years after wern't that much better, im on my 3rd car and 1st truck and i will be buying my first house in october, im 21 havnt gone to school after highschool dont really want to theres nothing there that interests me.

i was asking for the into because i know someone that has to write about an obituary and read it infront of the class when somone they know has just hung themself about 5 days ago, sorry if this makes them wussys or whatever the words used were, noone in this hole thread took the time to find out why i was asking just assumed it was cause somone wanted to get out of there work just cause they dont want to suck it up.

R-Audi
02-10-2005, 03:20 PM
TomTom,
Get your friend to go and talk to the teacher. I have a feeling that hearing about his circumstances, they would be more then willing to change his assignment, and work something out.

All the prior shit was more so everyone going off on a tangent, not really following the original post. If the pass rate is 54%, then either the teachers are terrible, or the students aren't that bright. I dont think that is a normal rate.

Wildcat
02-10-2005, 03:27 PM
im sure you can drop out of highschool and still get a good job just as im sure that you can jump off a building and still live. so why the fuck would you do it?

its a good analogy, cause in both cases you run a good chance of fucking yourself up for life :rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
02-10-2005, 03:52 PM

:rofl: I wish we didn't have to!

All engineering students at the UofC are required to take COMS 363, which is around 50% *gasp* ORAL PRESENTATIONS!

Well, I'm not really complaining. It's not too bad of a class, and it's something we have to learn sooner or later.

Carfanman
02-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
you run a good chance of fuking yourself up for life :rofl:

Thats totall bullsht. Your saying that but you dont know wtf your talking about. Do you know anyone who never went to school and had a family that cared about them? Have you read about anyone like that? Im willing to bet not, and if you have and they fuked up thier life, they are the exeption and not the rule.

abyss
02-10-2005, 04:04 PM

Thats totall bullsht. Your saying that but you dont know wtf your talking about. Do you know anyone who never went to school and had a family that cared about them? Have you read about anyone like that? Im willing to bet not, and if you have and they fuked up thier life, they are the exeption and not the rule.

Sorry to bust all in on your argument, but I know someone who is an "exception" He has a family that cares about him but he still was too lazy to finish high school, he has successfully become a psychotic stalker and has tried to take his own life on many occasions.

R-Audi
02-10-2005, 04:27 PM

No offense personally, but its hard to take someone serious that is 14 dealing with future job prospects and life.......

You are way to young to have even half the life experiences needed to make most of these decisions, or even come close to giving advice. Your right, no one will want to deal with a 14 year old for real estate, hell, you cant even drive!
How good will that look pulling up to a house on your bike!

Shampoo Suicide
02-10-2005, 04:31 PM
I thought this thread was suppose to be about oral presentations.

But since it has turned to something else, this is the mistake everyone is making. Your saying that ALL dropouts/high school grads are failures and ALL people with post secondary experience are gonna be rich and successful. This is definitely not the case, and why people are getting mad.

Z_Fan
02-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Well, I think oral presentations should be required in school. Although I also think there could be situations which may exclude certain individuals depending on the subject.

Eventually, in life, you're probably going to have to speak in front of a group of people. So hey, it's not like it won't be a useful skill.

NOW...

Carfanman,

I am in total agreement with you that education is not an absolute necessity required before success can be had in life. So, I'm definitely not going to preach about how everyone needs to be educated. For some that is simply not the case.

However, you are fourteen years old, and therefore would be reasonably close to finishing off school. (A couple or few years to go!) I suggest you take the next couple of years easy, finish school while developing a solid plan for your future. Perhaps take a little time to enjoy your life as a teenager before you rush out into the real world. There is no need to hurry into adult life - the time you have as a teenager is priceless, and you can't get it back once it is gone. Don't waste it leaping unnecessarily and prematurely into the real world.

Get your diploma! Even if it does not become a tool or a building block for your future success. No one will be able to take it away from you - so at the very least, it is an accomplishment. Despite its trivial nature you might find it handy down the road, and if you don't, well, that's alright too. In fifteen years from now, you may just want to become an architect and you might just require a high school diploma as a pre-requisite.

It is a good thing your parents are supportive. You at least have that going for you. I'd stick that ace in your pocket for later use. It will likely come in handy.

If you just have senior high school left - which is what I would be guessing - then get it done! You have the luxurious opportunity for a *THREE YEAR VACATION*.

Trust me, once you get out into the real world in pursuit of your goals, you'll very likely never find yourself in a position to simply take a three year holiday from 'real life'! So, take it while you have the opportunity! You see, what I am really getting at here is that it's not important whether or not you can succeed on your own at an early age. If you are so certain of this, then I assure you that you will succeed when you are 18 or 20 or 25, etc. So, pack your bags and take that vacation I was telling you about.

Real Estate and the concepts of buying and selling, renovating and flipping, etc. - has been in use for a very long time, and its not going to disappear. The very same techniques applied today will be waiting for you in three more years. It can (and will) wait.

Personally, I'd take the three year vacation - finish school.

Singel
02-10-2005, 06:48 PM
TomTom,
Get your friend to go and talk to the teacher. I have a feeling that hearing about his circumstances, they would be more then willing to change his assignment, and work something out.

All the prior shit was more so everyone going off on a tangent, not really following the original post. If the pass rate is 54%, then either the teachers are terrible, or the students aren't that bright. I dont think that is a normal rate.

:werd: about just going to see your teacher. In extenuating circumstances like this they will most likely be very reasonable about it. In the highly unlikely event they won't change for some reason, then go to your guidance councellor, then principal if still necessary. I can't ever see all three forcing a situation like this, but if it were then you can go higher to look at laws, etc.

Going to see their teacher is actually just as good practise as an oral presentation, most people will likely have to deal with a delicate situation with their boss (time off, raise, etc.). Luckily teachers are generally very understanding and kind people, despite what we may think when we're their students;)

54% isn't that far off from the Alberta avg. of 65%...

Originally posted by Shampoo Suicide
I thought this thread was suppose to be about oral presentations.

But since it has turned to something else, this is the mistake everyone is making. Your saying that ALL dropouts/high school grads are failures and ALL people with post secondary experience are gonna be rich and successful. This is definitely not the case, and why people are getting mad.

Who's been saying that?

Carfan, You are missing out! I thought u were atleast 16 or 17, you haven't even started to experience high school yet. The mistake people make is thinking its worthless because you will likely never use trigonometric identites, etc. You will miss many useful experiences, both socially and academically (for instance oral presentations [/ontopic] and the pressure of taking tests, etc.)

I know I probably won't change your mind, and am not necessarily trying to, but i think you should reconsider even more. I'm sure you took many of these things into account, but do you really understand their importance?

I'd be curious to hear a) what's a typical day for you like? and b) what particularily about school did you hate so much, especially from only being in senior high for 1 month?

GTS Jeff
02-10-2005, 07:14 PM
carfanman, what u say is correct. schools do only teach u to be an employee. however, if u cant even handle being an employee, wtf makes u think ure good enough to be the owner?

RiCE-DaDDy
02-10-2005, 07:27 PM
^ wow jeff when did u get smart?? haha jk

carfan, school brainwashing kids is legit idea but i think all u guys need stop thinking about the institutions and outside forces. It all boils down to yourself. Drop-out, school whatever its up to the individual. Exceptional individuals won't let something like school diminish their ambitions.

Anyways, i'm sure most the richest people, most of the business owners have an education

Tyler883
02-10-2005, 08:00 PM
nope, they can't force you to give the presentation

...and you can't force them to give you a passing grade for wimping out.

suck it up, man,

the worse that can happen it you screw up royally and everyone laughs at you, and they won't stop laughing for many years. All these people that you don't really give a shit about, might be judgng you harshly....oh well!!!

Wildcat
02-10-2005, 08:16 PM

you know who doesnt know wtf they are talking about? you and your parents for agreeing with you. if my 14 year old kid told me he was dropping out of jr high id laugh my ass off and then once finished wiping my tears away id feed him the back of my hand.

yes i am talking down to you, and for good reason. your in no position to question your education at this point. i dont blame you, i blame your parents.

kelly
02-10-2005, 09:09 PM
I would never drop out of school you can't cause you need to survive in this world all i was trying to say is that the system of life right is pretty shitty. And it's not like i don't work i also have a job right now. I don't need one yet cause i live with my parents and i don't have to pay for life's necessity's. But doesn't it seem so obscene that we have to work just to survive and that their are people in third world country's that are dying just cause they don't have jobs and can't afford food. Even people in canada can't get a job and can't afford life's neccesity's. Life would be better without rich or poor, people should be equal! Why do we even have money I wouldn't be surprised to find out that money is one of the world's biggest problems. But whatever thats just my opinion and i'm only 16. I would appreciate it if you guys wouldn't bomb my thread in a rude fashion it's not my fault i'm poor at english.

Carfanman
02-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Z_Fan- I dont consider highschool a vacation. You talk about living my teenage life, sitting in a hard chair with a text book infront of me, isnt the ideal way to spend it.
I'm developing a plan for my future right now, Im learing about things that interest me and thinking about how I would like to make my living. It's just not the way most people make a living. As for the dimploma, employers and colleges have to exept a GED and Ive never heard of it presenting a problem to anyone.

Singel- from what my friends say, Im not missing out on anything.

A typical day for me, is get up 9:00, nice, long breakfast, unlike most teenagers who have very little and then run out the door, go on the computer and go to sites about computers, electrical engineering, the universe, or whatever I feel like going to, then read a book or magazine about money, architecture, computers, ect..., go dog walking, watch a little tv, go to karate, go on the computer again, tv, sleep. (somewhere in there is snack, lunch, snack, dinner). Its alot more interesting than sitting in classes about something I couldnt care less about, and daydreaming or playing on my cellphone.

What I didnt like about school- it wasnt just highschool, I just didnt find a way to leave until them.
I dont like how school is very bureacratic, everyone for the most part has the same schedule, learns the same things, ect.
Then after schools over and you think you can relax, guess what, you cant cuz u have a ton of homework, unless you did most of it during class.
I had no freedom to do what I enjoyed, if I would rather do a little more math and a little less social studies, to bad.
If it was a beautiful day I still had school.
I was sometimes told I couldnt go to the bathroom because some prick felt his boring lesson was more important than me taking care of nature. Especially when It was the class right after lunch, "you should have gone during lunch", but these "smart" teachers dont realize food takes time to digest, so really the teacher after lunch should have been the least strict about going to the bathroom.
I've only began to touch on what bothers me about school.

GTS Jeff- being an employee and being an owner are two totally different things requiring two totally different sets of skills. The reason I cant handle being an employee is because I dont like have my schedule and paycheck set by someone else.

RiCE-DaDDy- hell yes they have an education, but schooling and education are two different things.

Wildcat- I dont know what to say to this other than I feel sorry for your kids if they ever decide to do something that *g-d forbid* is a very different way of thinking.

kelly
02-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Good site about cool topics like this www.deoxy.org

cityhunter2501
02-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow

I read on the papers a couple of days ago where Ontario si doing a survey on its schools asking teachers how many of them have been abused by the parents.

apparently parents dont ask anymore what did their kids do wrong but rather ask what the teachers do to them.

R-Audi
02-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Carfanman:
Honestly I think you are a lost and clueless 14 year old KID. You dont have the experience or the knowledge to properly make decisions like these, and seem not to be smart enough to figure this out. You may think you have the master plan but honestly, your 14!
If you cant even make it through High School, how the hell do you think you could run a business..... Life experiences cannot be read about in a magazine, or from looking at internet sites all day. Your days seem like a giant waste of life. If you are not going to be held in school, do something useful!

You talk about wanting to be an architect. Do you have any frickin clue what it takes to be one? After Highschool you have to get your degree, then move on for another three years for your masters in architecture. Thats close to 9 years of schooling, (6-7 past highschool) How ya going to deal with that? You cant handle being in school from 8-4, what are you going to do when your final three years consist of a minimum of 10-12 hour days?
(And these numbers are correct, my cousin is currently in the program!)

I dont even know why I even bother reply to these, kid you are living in a dream world, and one day you will have a rude awakening!

Carfanman
02-10-2005, 09:38 PM
You say Im living in a dream world, yet there are thousands of kids doing what I am and thousands more adults who did what I'm doing when they were kids. And most of them were very succesfull and equal to if not smarter then thier schooled counterparts.

thich
02-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Let me add also that beyond the architecture degree you still have to be EMPLOYED by someone else before you can even come close to owning your own firm.

do you think any company will hire a no-name no-reputation graduate who has no real world experience beyond the classroom to design and build a building by himself? I doubt it... i HIGHLY doubt it.

GTS Jeff- being an employee and being an owner are two totally different things requiring two totally different sets of skills. The reason I cant handle being an employee is because I dont like have my schedule and paycheck set by someone else.

how would you kno being an employee and an owner requires two totally different sets of skills?
you can hardly be an owner without having to understand the fundamentals of customer service and sales that THE EMPLOYEES know.
Being self-employed is one thing, but don't go and assume being an employer doesn't require having good skills that you learn from the bottom-up.

--

it's too bad you don't give the education system a try - you say that you don't like social studies, how do you think you'll make it in the real world without getting acquainted with current events, economics, politics?

I've been in school since i was 3 yrs old (born in HK) and now i'm finishing my last year of university - i never once regretted having gone to school... having said that, i know a number of ppl who aren't school material, but they still finished their high school diplomas.

You say Im living in a dream world, yet there are thousands of kids doing what I am and thousands more adults who did what I'm doing when they were kids. And most of them were very succesfull and equal to if not smarter then thier schooled counterparts.

how many of those thousands are making it somewhere? i find it VERY difficult to believe that a 14 year old can make it in North America without a background in education.

you also can't just compare the adults that DID what you are DOING ; do you realize the dynamics of the world, the economy and the political arena are MUCH DIFFERENT than 20-30 years ago?
sometimes u get lucky - but luck isn't always your friend.

Wildcat
02-10-2005, 09:41 PM
if my parents supported every decision i made when i was a kid id still be living in the sewers with the rest of the ninja turtles. :rofl:

abyss
02-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Carfanman, I know nothing about you but looking at it, I'd say that you are too young to be making those kinds of decisions for yourself, HOWEVER, the fact that you've taken MANY, MANY threads bashing your judment and still you hold your ground, I'd say that you're at least serious about this. Also, the fact that your parents support you in this is great, I really hope everything works out for you and you have someone's face to rub it all into later. Remember, success is the ultimate revenge! I agree that you don't necessarily need to go to high school to get an education, just make sure you do get your GED, and study hard, you'll have no one to help you through it. Good luck in all your future endeavors.

Carfanman
02-10-2005, 10:22 PM
thich-
Who said I wouldnt have any real world experience? You think I wont get a degree first?
Yes thier are some things you need to learn from being employed, but If I have to be employed, I plan to work till I learn what I need from the job, and then move on to the next. I dont want to become dependent on my employer to decide how I can afford to live. If I fuk up, Id rather fuk up because I made a mistake, not because my employer did and now my paycheck got cut, its alot easier to learn from and fix my mistakes than my employers.

What do you mean about not giving the educational system a try? I gave it a try for over 8 years, with a small amount of good memories and a ton of bad ones. And although I dont like social studies when Im being forced to have a test on it while I cant ride my bike, Im very interested in it sometimes, especially politics, I was following the election very closely, even voiced my opinions on beyond. By the way what I said about social studies was just an example.

how many of those thousands are making it somewhere? i find it VERY difficult to believe that a 14 year old can make it in North America without a background in education.

you also can't just compare the adults that DID what you are DOING ; do you realize the dynamics of the world, the economy and the political arena are MUCH DIFFERENT than 20-30 years ago?
sometimes u get lucky - but luck isn't always your friend.
They are very succesfull. If you find it hard to believe, fine, that doesnt make you right, alot of people find it hard to believe. And 20-30 years ago, people also said school was the only way. BTW, for some of them, it was only 5-10 years ago.

abyss- lol, thanks for your support.

I dont expect anyone here to agree with me and Im not trying to win anyone to my way of thinking. Im going against what most have been told scince they were born.
I hope I havent offended anyone, even when the discussion got a bit heated. I dont see anyone winning, and I think we should just leave it. I mean, if anyone still wants to disscuss it, Ill respond, but I jsut dont see this going anywhere, Im happier than Ive ever been, and Im not going back.

kelly
02-10-2005, 10:23 PM
i can't believe you guys are still arguyinglol:drama:

Z_Fan
02-10-2005, 10:32 PM
I dont consider highschool a vacation.

Well, hey, you're young - you've got a lot to learn. But trust me, high school is a complete vacation. You do a little work, get a free ride, hit a few hot chicks on the way...and you have no real pressure to earn a living. That's a pretty serious holiday if you ask me. All you have to do is show up - someone with your level of intelligence will breeze through school...it is a cake walk.

[B]A typical day for me, is get up 9:00, nice, long breakfast, unlike most teenagers who have very little and then run out the door, go on the computer and go to sites about computers, electrical engineering, the universe, or whatever I feel like going to, then read a book or magazine about money, architecture, computers, ect..., go dog walking, watch a little tv, go to karate, go on the computer again, tv, sleep. (somewhere in there is snack, lunch, snack, dinner). [B]

So basically, you pound the pooch all day. :thumbsup:

Which I'm not saying is bad. I do the very same.

The difference is you are doing it expecting that the world will come to you. (The American Dream as you might call it.) While I actually went out and respected reality and made it happen over a number of years. So, well, there is the difference.

ANYHOW - your day sounds pretty damn unproductive to me. We'll see where you're at in say 2 years time. I'll be around - as will many others on the forum, so you can keep us all updated on your progress. You will have had two full years to put into force your master plan, which you have developed from your solid grasp on the world and bountiful experiences in life.

You need to pick up a copy of a play called "Death of a Salesmen." It is by Arthur Miller. You give that a good read in all your spare time. Because I have to admit, you and Willy Loman have stunning similarities. You both live in a dream world expecting good things to fall in your lap. Or at least, that is how it would seem on the surface of things...

[B]GTS Jeff- being an employee and being an owner are two totally different things requiring two totally different sets of skills. The reason I cant handle being an employee is because I dont like have my schedule and paycheck set by someone else.[B]

Here is a newsflash for you. You have just clearly identified a pretty large character flaw in your person. You lack discipline and don't respect authority. In general, those who start up companies have more discipline than any of the employees they might ever hope to hire. Owners of small businesses often ARE employees. In these cases, the skillsets required for ownership completely encompass those of the employee as well as the managerial aspects of day to day operations within the company. Unless you're starting a multi-million dollar company with magic money growing on the trees in your back yard, I'd suggest you rethink your views on starting up a company which you intend to run. Until you reach an operational condition whereby you have hired educated individuals (likely with degrees) to see to your companies operation, you will be participating. I suggest this could be a long ways off. Initially, you will be an employee of your own company...so you might want to consider getting a grasp on the requirements that entails.

In any case, I'm still in total agreement with the notion that education is not a requirement. Yet I have to point out some of your ideas are simply...well...misguided.

There is also one thing I have to give you - you have conviction. And trust me, you're going to need it.

Carfanman
02-10-2005, 10:43 PM
By being a business owner, I want to build a system that doesnt require my constant supervision, and yes, my ultimate goal is to build a multi-million dollar business, but little by little, at first I expect to do alot of work, but Im desiding to do the work, not my boss or my teacher.

WhiteNikes
02-11-2005, 12:05 AM
Hype. Mad hype. I ain't wanna take a grade 8 social test cause I wanna ride my bike. I ain't wanna do no job where some otha cat tell me when I gotta work. I ain't tryin' to have no one pay me neither. I surf all cot dyam day on the cot dyam internet. I's gon be rich to. Know how? I'mma git me a bit-niz where I ain't even gotta be there.

Hype. Mad Hype.

GingeRRRBeef
02-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Carfanboy

Look, I know you think you're right. I'm sure that I can really say anything that already hasn't been said. But I think that not everyone can be so lucky to be successful without education. I know that an education does not guarantee anything but since when does anything life guarantee anything?

Both Kelly and you have a pessimistic view of the educational system. Instead of thinking it as slavery, think of it as a competition. How can you be success if you can't compete? If you want to win, someone's got to lose. School is basically a game. It trains you for competition. It teaches you to win without the dire side effects of losing. Ask yourself how you can get good at something. The answer is experience. If you're as smart as you think you are. You can extrapolate from what I said and come up with the rest yourself.

Kelly

You know what ... you should shut your whining. You should consider yourself lucky with what you have. Have you ever thought about kids in the 3rd world countries who would give anything to have what you have. It's sad that little ungrateful bastards like you take everything for granted.

thich
02-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Z_Fan

You need to pick up a copy of a play called "Death of a Salesmen." It is by Arthur Miller. You give that a good read in all your spare time. Because I have to admit, you and Willy Loman have stunning similarities. You both live in a dream world expecting good things to fall in your lap. Or at least, that is how it would seem on the surface of things...

I read that in grade 12... one of the most depressing plays i've ever come across :thumbsdow
good read tho

--

By being a business owner, I want to build a system that doesnt require my constant supervision, and yes, my ultimate goal is to build a multi-million dollar business, but little by little, at first I expect to do alot of work, but Im desiding to do the work, not my boss or my teacher.

i sure hope you are thinking of a really good business plan and at the very least an industry to jump into.
it takes a lot of hardwork and sweat to make a multi-million dollar business - and then when you get ur multi-million dollar business, who's going to be running it if you aren't "constantly" supervising it?
you going to hire managers who might be looking out for themselves? you going to offer an IPO to make it a million dollar biz (and then lose control and possibly ownership of the biz?)
there's no such thing as a multi-million dollar biz that you can just leave and reap the rewards from it unless you forfeit some level of control and ownership.

you're still SO young - you're still a baby in this world man.

Singel
02-11-2005, 12:25 AM

Singel- from what my friends say, Im not missing out on anything.

Your friends might not think so now, but the general feeling from everyone here myself included after going through it seems to be that high school was a valuable experience. I probly didn't think I'd be missing very much in high school either, but I knew deep down that I'd be missing out and would regret it later on.

The opportunity cost of this decision just doesn't make sense to me. I understand and respect the concept of not going to university, and have considered that it may be a better decision. For me I still believe that university is the better path for me, especially seeing as I'm currently contemplating changing into a double degree in a new field that I'm really enjoying right now. That discussion has been gone over several times here, but both sides have very valid arguments.

Dropping out of high school to me closes a lot of doors without opening nearly as many windows. You're giving up 3 FREE years of education and important experiences that are nearly impossible to recreate. Any adult can go back and get their diploma, but they'll be missing the most important things IMO which are social learning experiences...Same thing applies to not going to university, but the university lifestyle is easier to replicate and experience afterwards if you so choose.

You are gaining very little right now, not even the 3 years of earning/work experience which would seem to be the primary advantage IMO. If you're not in school you should really look at getting some sort of a job, even just part time. If I'm an employer looking at someone with a College degree + very little experience vs. Diploma +4 years of succesful Experience vs. Dropout +7-8 years of very successful experience they're all looking equal before an interview. I wouldn't even talk to a drop out with no more experience than someone with their diploma...It'ss your biggest advantage as I see it, and its never too early to start.

If I already new I had a specific interest in those fields and was as ambitious as you claim to be I'd stay in high school AND pursue the interests on those fields on the side, while perhaps taking drafting options and stuff. If ur reasonably smart then just sleep through social, or do ur math homework during social, you should still do fine, and you'd have a leg up on everyone else specifically in those fields.

lol thats a pretty long post, probly said something stupid or didn't explain something clearly but im far too lazy to read it over.

Good luck, keep us posted with what's going on, I know I'm curious to hear how it works out...

Carfanman
02-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Well, there isnt much to say because Ive already voiced my opinions, and I dont want to repeat myself more than I have.

What you guys are saying about me being really young and everything, I understand and I dont think of myself as an adult, but I have started thinking about what I want, my nature is not to blindly accept what people are telling me, I like to take control of my own life, and obviously thats going to involve obeying someone else even if its a customer, or the law, or my wife and kids, but I dont want to spend my life like (almost) everyone else who goes to school and gets a regular job. I also plan to start my life as soon as Im 18, so this isnt to early to think about how.

As for the part time job, when I start working with my dad on the real estate stuff (and Im helping my mom start a website that sells books on health) I will be learning a lot more than flipping burgers, or working a cash register, like most teens. I will also learn for apprenticing which I hope to do, for an architect, maybe someone in the computer field, ect.

Im not against education, but Im against the way schools try to force you to be educated in things you may not want to be educated in at the time. I can appreciate that there are some things I really should learn, but If Im not interested in world history now, does that mean I cant learn it in a few years from now? Just because I dont want to know something know doesnt mean Ill never want to know it. My interests change.
I think a big problem in school is your learing social studies, science, math, and english every year. I think that it doesnt make sence to learn the same things everyyear. Its obvious people will get bored of it and then they do bad and get bad grades and their selfesteem goes down and they do bad in all their classes, and on and on. That was a bit of an exxageration, but over time that happenes to alot of students.

Super_Geo
02-11-2005, 10:00 AM
I will also learn for apprenticing which I hope to do, for an architect, maybe someone in the computer field, ect.

But why would these people choose you to be their apprentice when you will have no education?

The computer field especially... what would you be? Definately not a programmer if you don't like school. With the market as over-saturated as it is, why would they take some kid without even his high school diploma when there are hundreds of fully qualified, educated and experienced programmers out there without jobs?

My point is this: learning later will be one hell of a lot harder than learning now. Trust me, you don't want to be that 30 year old guy in the back of the lecture hall full of 18-19 year old kids.

High school and university can be some of the best times of your life just because of the people you meet. Why would you want to miss out on that only to do it later by yourself?

Carfanman
02-11-2005, 10:07 AM
^im going to university.

Also, if I learnt a little on my own, why wouldnt an architect or a computer builder/programmer take me as an apprentice, most highschool age kids dont know that stuff at all, me knowing it a little puts me at an advantage. You have to realize that not every one will be as critical as you guys (not that Im complaining, I like a good argument) and some people will hear my side, say thats very nice, and forget about it, and think of me just like theyd think of anyone else of me, Ive even found that some people respect my independence.

thich
02-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Im not against education, but Im against the way schools try to force you to be educated in things you may not want to be educated in at the time. I can appreciate that there are some things I really should learn, but If Im not interested in world history now, does that mean I cant learn it in a few years from now? Just because I dont want to know something know doesnt mean Ill never want to know it. My interests change.
I think a big problem in school is your learing social studies, science, math, and english every year. I think that it doesnt make sence to learn the same things everyyear. Its obvious people will get bored of it and then they do bad and get bad grades and their selfesteem goes down and they do bad in all their classes, and on and on. That was a bit of an exxageration, but over time that happenes to alot of students.

i can see why you have a disposition towards schooling but it doesn't mean what they're teaching you is useless.
i was told by my gr. 11 math teacher that all the real math you will ever need in life you would've learned by gr. 4 - but it doesn't mean the rest that you learn is useless.
Math helps you become more analytical and helps with your problem solving ability.
Social Studies gives you an appreciation for history, philosophy and culture - if you become uninterested in social studies at an early age, i dun see what would make you want to become interested in it later. (altho i guess it can happen)
science = you need to know this in life (if they're teaching you THE SAME THING every year, i suggest you move to a new school. I've never learned the same thing twice in science)
English = contrary to how silly this may seem, English does help you become a proper speaker/writer which is very important especially if you want to become a business owner and have to do business plans/proposals/presentations.

I don't see how you can get bored of all these classes when they don't teach "the same thing" every year. It's all different. if you're 14 that means you dropped out in jr. high and you haven't even tasted high school yet. Junior High is MUCH DIFFERENT than high school is.
and if you want a head start in computers and architecture and so on, why not go to high school? You get FREE basic education in C++, autocad and a whack of other programs that you'd pay $300-$500 a class for outside of the public system.

If you're finding normal schooling boring, then go and challenge yourself and do IB or something - knowledge is power and the more training and education you have, the better your chances are at being better than someone else.

---

i agree with Super_Geo, you NEED education (or a heck of a background + skills) to differentiate yourself in this world.

Carfanman
02-11-2005, 10:16 AM
^in the states, 9th grade is highschool, its 1-5 elementry (sp?), 6-8 middle school/jrhigh (theyre both the same) then 9-12 you are in highschool in a different building having classes with 10th graders in some schools.

Social studies-- Im not saying its worthless, but does that mean I have to learn it every year? I know that they dont teach the same thing, but history in general or foreign politics arent always that facinating. Its not like I even get to choose whether I learn about native americans or the czech republic, I have to learn whatever the teacher wants, regardless of how boring it is.

Science-- when I say the same thing, I mean the same general subjects, yes, I learn different parts of science, but maybe one year Id like to not learn any science, that one year of science I dont get is probably not going to ruin my life.

Math- I actually enjoy math, but not always the way its taught, all my teacher have made it take so much longer then it has to. The way its taught, its broken down into lessons, the teachers take a whole period or so to teach a lesson, I can read it and understand it in 5 minutes (usually) and then of course I have to do 50 problems at least, if I get 15 right and I know how I got that answer, I think the other 35 problems are just a waste of time.

English-- English is another thing I enjoy, I always liked reading, went ahead in all the books that we read during class, got the highest possible grade on my english tests, and I was so bored because I could go at a much faster rate than most of my classmates (Im not trying at all to brag, thats just the way I was in english).

i agree with Super_Geo, you NEED education (or a heck of a background + skills) to differentiate yourself in this world.
What are you talking about??? how am I differentiating myself if I have something that almost everyone else has?? people will be alot more impressed if I didnt go to school and still have a lot of skills and accomplishments.

abyss
02-11-2005, 10:20 AM
okay, maybe I'm not the one understanding it right, but from Carfanman's posts I've gotten that he is going to get a GED (similer to a high school education) and he IS going to go to University....All you people saying he's not going to get an education, he never said that. He merely stated that instead of spending 3 years in high school like everyone else, he is going to get his GED instead. I don't see how that's any less of an education, except maybe when it comes to social interaction. Carfanman, please let me know if I'm wrong so I can flame you like everyone else. :D ;)

sputnik
02-11-2005, 10:21 AM
im going to university.

Also, if I learnt a little on my own, why wouldnt an architect or a computer builder/programmer take me as an apprentice, most highschool age kids dont know that stuff at all, me knowing it a little puts me at an advantage.

How do you expect to get into university with a grade 8 education? NEWSFLASH! In university you will be required to take courses that you may not be interested in, and courses that wont be anywhere close to related to the degree you will be trying to get. Even if you do get in, there is NO WAY that you have the skills to be able to write detailed papers. You cant even argue a simple debate here well. Without highschool you are setting yourself up for failure at the university level.

Also, you cannot become an architect by apprenticing, you need a degree. At best you will become a draftsman that makes about $15/hr. Even so, you will still require a number of classes to be a good one.

kelly
02-11-2005, 10:49 AM
you guys are still fighting omg:eek:

Carfanman
02-11-2005, 10:52 AM
abyss- your right.

sputnik-- I have to say what bothered me most about you post was "You cant even argue a simple debate here well." Ive always been told I was good at debating, so I want to know what's wrong.

with a GED I can get into colleges as long as I have good accomplishments.

Someone wrote a letter to some colleges, asking them if they would accept someone who had little or no formal schooling, but did have a ged and had a lot of good accomplishments.

All responses were positive, a few were sceptical though, and some actually said they had already done it.

Who says I cant right a good paper? My spelling and grammar is bad here, but if it was a college essay id proof read it and be alot more careful, this is an internet forum so I dont have to be as careful.

I know I cant become an architect by apprenticeing, I just want to apprentice so I can learn some basics before getting my degree.

D. Dub
02-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Z_A typical day for me, is get up 9:00, nice, long breakfast, unlike most teenagers who have very little and then run out the door, go on the computer and go to sites about computers, electrical engineering, the universe, or whatever I feel like going to, then read a book or magazine about money, architecture, computers, ect..., go dog walking, watch a little tv, go to karate, go on the computer again, tv, sleep. (somewhere in there is snack, lunch, snack, dinner). Its alot more interesting than sitting in classes about something I couldnt care less about, and daydreaming or playing on my cellphone.

Nice life...if you were my kid ..................I'd have my boot so far up your ass.......

The only reason you're living this life of leisure is that your parents don't have the balls to grab you by the ear and make you go to school.

BTW how can you be only 14 and not in school without running afoul of the truancy laws?!?!?!

D. Dub
02-11-2005, 11:13 AM
^im going to university.

Also, if I learnt a little on my own, why wouldnt an architect or a computer builder/programmer take me as an apprentice,

ummm...because you aren't educated in architecture or computer science :rolleyes:

reading a little about a topic between your nap and goofing off doesn't make you educated.

D. Dub
02-11-2005, 11:15 AM
I know I cant become an architect by apprenticeing, .

Umm........ no you can't.

Carfanman
02-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Umm........ no you can't.

You quoted me saying I cant and then you said I cant. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Nice life...if you were my kid ..................I'd have my boot so far up your ass.......

The only reason you're living this life of leisure is that your parents don't have the balls to grab you by the ear and make you go to school.

BTW how can you be only 14 and not in scholl without running afoul of the truance laws?!?!?!

I feel sorry for your kids, Thats messed up that you dont allow them to think differentely then you. Even if you said no, the way you say "I'd have my boot so far up your ass......." whether or not your seriouse shows that you are/would be a horrible parent because you say you'd hurt them for not thinking the way you do.

I guess it never accured to you that my parents might not think the same way as you either.

If you dont agree with me fine, but from your attitude it seems you look down on anyone who you dont agree with.

Im not truant Because Im staying within my states guidelines. They are very leniant but even if they weren't its still legal in all 50 states even though most ppl dont think so, Ill bet you can even do it in canada.

ummm...because you aren't educated in architecture or computer science

Thats how I plan to get educated. I thought that was obvious. People take on apprentices so that in exchange for teaching them, the apprentice will help out.

And reading a little about it would make me more knowledgeable about it then most highschool kids, so that doesnt help back up your argument that I should go to school.

Singel
02-11-2005, 11:36 AM
you guys are still fighting omg:eek:

die.

You're not going far in architecture without some more formal math. If you don't like the way its done in HS you're definately not going to like it any better in university. You will most likely fail your university english courses, you need to learn how to read and write, and you actually do that in high school through testing and essays. You're missing out on following a regular schedule with regular everyday stresses of upcoming tests and assignments. It won't be very easy to just jump into that life again after 3 years off in university when its twice as hard, or especially not into real life when its 10 times harder.

If you can't get up now to go and do "the same thing" over and over at school, how are you going to do that in real life when it really will be the exact same thing in real life when it is actually the same thing over and over every day?