PDA

View Full Version : Good Indian Buffet?

Neil4Speed
02-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Hey guys!

A few friends were planning to go out for an indian buffet on either thursday or friday (teachers convention) for lunch. Do you have any good suggestions? Something cheap but good. If its able to be reached by LRT, Transit Easy it would be a major plus.

And before anyone asks: Yes, we are all massive fobs. :rolleyes:

Let me know!!
:D

PS. Statick, Turbotrip, your welcome to join us if you want

600cc's
02-09-2005, 07:31 PM
glory of india http://www.gloryofindia.com/ :drool:
namaskar on 16th ave by the brick

both amazzzzing:thumbsup:

BloodBaneZXY
02-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Yep, Glory of India has hands down the best indian food in the city, the service has been so-so a few times, but with a buffet it wouldn't be a big issue. The owner's a really good guy too!

tsi_neal
02-09-2005, 11:17 PM
My vote is the Tandori Hut. On 10th st. in kesington. BEST butter chicken ive ever had. Take out is 8 bucks i think dine in is slightly higher. but either way its good food and easy to get to.

jaysas_63
02-09-2005, 11:24 PM
well the only indian buffet i know of is taj mahal...now the fact that its good food is another question:rofl:

charizard
02-10-2005, 01:19 AM
whoa neil make sure u stay away from taj mahal

Godfuader
02-10-2005, 01:50 AM
Skylark on 17th SE used to have butter chicken on fridays as part of the buffet :drool:

badseed
02-10-2005, 02:12 AM
What about Moti Mahal's on 17th, wicked lunch buffet. I heard somewhere that Jarome Iginla eats there every week.

shakalaka
02-10-2005, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader
Skylark on 17th SE used to have butter chicken on fridays as part of the buffet :drool:

Word. I must say his food is pretty good. Whenever we have some kind of family function, where lots of people are invited, thats where our food comes from. And I must say, that happens a lot. I like thier food a lot. Its by the cheap grocery store on 17th Ave SE.

Godfuader
02-10-2005, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka

Word. I must say his food is pretty good. Whenever we have some kind of family function, where lots of people are invited, thats where our food comes from. And I must say, that happens a lot.

:werd: Seems like all desi parties are catered thru them. Wicked Butter chicken, and everything else!

/////AMG
02-10-2005, 04:32 AM
Mango Shiva, and the chef ain't even Indian, he's asian! lol

It's write by TD square like a street away.

ricosuave
02-11-2005, 08:29 AM
we went to a buffet at the samosa grill by sunridge, was very good, and they treated us like kings

rico

AcuraTl
02-11-2005, 09:00 AM
^^ course they treated you like kings... your white!!! haha jokes um try mango shiva as stated above i also heard good shit about a place called mongolia grill house...:confused: also you better find out if it servers HALAL meat cuz statick + turbotrip are islamic terrorists ;)

ricosuave
02-11-2005, 09:02 AM
^^ what makes you think i am white?

kevie88
02-11-2005, 09:19 AM
There's a new tiny little place on 17th ave sw and around 27th, it's called Moughal Mahal. It's my favorite kind of Indian restaraunt, small and family owned, so the food is very consistent and good. I've been there 3 times for Suicide Vindaloos in the last 3 weeks! Their Nan and basmati rice is awesome too. The Butter Chicken isn't the most amazing I've ever had, but i's more than passable.

I used to love Curry n' Hurry up 14th st past country hills blvd but my friends that used to own it sold out of it a few years ago, and I haven't been back in since.

Namskar is pretty damn good, but I find the food isn't that hot, and I love the spice :D

I have to agree that Glory of India downtown is by and far the best current Indian Buffet that I have tried in Calgary. I love the food there and the staff is great.

Has anyone tried the one on 17th ave and 5th street down by the ship and anchor (across the street)? I think it's Kashmir or something like that. I've been meaning to go there but haven't made it yet.

statick
02-11-2005, 09:32 AM
"calgary samosa grill" is pretty awsome (not "samsosa grill")
great ribs/butter chicken:thumbsup:

RiceCube
02-15-2005, 07:58 PM
PM me some directions :thumbsup:

Neil4Speed
02-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Looks like we are going to Tandoori Hut, $10.95 for lunch buffet, wicked

nismodrifter
02-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Went to Samosa grill last week and was half impressed. Service and everything was great but some of the food was lacking IMO. Majority of the customers at lunch time are white so I guess that is a factor in the way they make their food (if it's too spicy there will be caucasians fleeing the scene in a hurry :D)

- Butter Chicken: was not very creamy, had very little flavor/taste to it, might as well have eaten plain chicken.
- Tandoori Chicken: two thumbs up, tasted perfect
- Rice: They only had steamed rice (plain)....I dunno, some people probably love it...I hate it.
-Samosas: again, lacking any hint of spice and probably were the worst samosas I've ever eaten..
- Various Subjis: Again, no spice = no good
- Naan: at least these tasted good ahah
- Dessert: They had kheer (rice pudding) and fruits served in mango cream, also had Jalebis. Dessert was the best part, tasted so good, everything was perfect :drool:

I haven't really been to many of the other buffets so can't comment on how they compare, but overall I'd have to say that the lunch was really lacking in the taste department, they go way too easy on the spices IMO and it ruins it.

statick
02-23-2005, 01:03 PM
^how much did it cost? was it worth ur money ?

me, neil4speed and the gang all went to tandoori hut, and it was great, especially for only $10.95.

they had pretty much the same dessert as samosa grill, btu instead of jalebi there was gulab jamun.

butter chicken was awsome, tandoori chicken was awsome.
they had 2 different types of rice, pilau and some osrt of vegetable steamed rice. great naan, prety good vegetables. the only thing that i felt could have been better was the beef.

overall, i would definitily go again and reccomend to anyone.

nismodrifter
02-23-2005, 01:10 PM
It was like $13.XX.....definately NOT worth the money IMO. Sure the service and everything was great, very clean and nice environment but the food is just not that great.

statick
02-23-2005, 01:18 PM
yea, i hope u didnt go because of my suggestion (sry if i sound somewhat narssestic (sp?)), cuz the place i was talking about is actually "sweet house cafe and grill", not to be confused with "calgary sweet house".

AcuraTl
02-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by statick
yea, i hope u didnt go because of my suggestion (sry if i sound somewhat narssestic (sp?)), cuz the place i was talking about is actually "sweet house cafe and grill", not to be confused with "calgary sweet house".

is it halal?

statick
02-23-2005, 10:01 PM
haanjee

Katana13
03-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
Mango Shiva, and the chef ain't even Indian, he's asian! lol

It's write by TD square like a street away.

I also heard Mango Shiva is excellent, but you need to get there early otherwise they fill up fast.

If anyone's looking for more traditional, Taffin was highly recommended to me -- I think it's off of Memorial in the NE, North of the lights before 36th?

$uPeRrlcE()()()
03-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by statick
haanjee

haan jee wtf is that?

jdmakkord
03-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by $uPeRrlcE()()()

haan jee wtf is that?

STF NOOB!

/////AMG
03-06-2005, 03:48 AM
^^^ :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Katana13
I also heard Mango Shiva is excellent, but you need to get there early otherwise they fill up fast.

If anyone's looking for more traditional, Taffin was highly recommended to me -- I think it's off of Memorial in the NE, North of the lights before 36th?

Yea, just book a day in advance or something. I remember one time we booked a day in advance for table for 8 in the summer and they said fine, but then again maybe it's because we know the owners. But they have excellent food, cooked just right. Only wish I had gone more often. And the place looks amazing, it was recently renovated.

Neil4Speed
03-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG
^^^ :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

Yea, just book a day in advance or something. I remember one time we booked a day in advance for table for 8 in the summer and they said fine, but then again maybe it's because we know the owners. But they have excellent food, cooked just right. Only wish I had gone more often. And the place looks amazing, it was recently renovated.

I want to for sure check out this place. Is it a lunch or Dinner Buffet/or not one at all. You and others have said great things about it.

/////AMG
03-06-2005, 10:29 AM
I think it opens at 11am, for lunch then maybe till 2-3PM then closes for a few hours, then opens up for dinners. So it does do both, not sure about the hours.

/////AMG
03-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Mango Shiva - Indian Bistro & Chaibar
507 - 8 Ave SW
Business Phone: (403) 290-1644

From CalgarySun.com

MANGO SHIVA
Mango Shiva holiday gift

With the lucre flowing and materialism rampant, it was beginning to feel a lot like Christmas.

To fuel our shopping foray downtown, we couldn’t find a turkey Benedict with cranberries and all the trimmings.

So we figured Indian food was suitably festive — Santa in a sari and elves in safron with curried breath and all the traditional stuff.

Saturdays, (though, sadly, not Sundays), Mango Shiva in Penny Lane throws a brunch buffet, led off by a delicious marinated mushroom salad redolent with cilantro.

Alongside that was a pungent sweet potato salad rife with chutney; a bowl of spinach was laced with an ingenious stand-in for conventional croutons — shards of papadam or lentil wafters.

The buffet also featured a sprawling fresh fruit spread with its strawberries, oranges, grapes and pineapple.

A basmati rice with deep-fried onions and cloves offered itself as a base for many dishes, such as the channa masala, or chick pea and potato curry steeped in the common tomato and onion treatment.

An earthy spinach flavour oozed from the Punjabi mustard curry, accented with garlic and ginger.

The lentil curry, or Daal, was also loaded with ginger.

We couldn’t get enough of delectable mixed vegetable pakoras.

Flavoured almost like an exotic chile con carne was the keema masala, a luxuriously busy dish of minced beef and tomatoes, spiced with cloves, cumin and star anise.

There were few overlapping flavours in this rewarding smorg.

We ate our way through a vegetable masala, enroute to the butter chicken — the latter a velvety study in fragrant tenderness.

A dish we’d never seen in an Indian buffet proved another winner — the panang curry squid’s delicate ringlets were immersed in a Thai-style sauce of lemon grass and a shrimp base.

Mango Shiva’s rice pudding soothed palates, while the gulab jamun lent a syrupy sweetness to dessert.

For dessert, there was also carrot halva — a sweet concoction of carrots stewed in milk and sugar.

At Mango Shiva, we discovered a Saturday Indian buffet brunch with an upscale flavour.

We deemed it a pre-Christmas gastronomic gift to ourselves.

• • • • •

MANGO SHIVA
507 8 Ave. S.W.
PH: 290-1644

FOOD: 4 out of 5
AMBIENCE: 4 out of 5
SERVICE: 4 out of 5

Indian cuisine
RECOMMENDED: Panang curry squid
PRICE: Adults $14.99
CREDIT CARDS: All major credit cards accepted.
WHEELCHAIRS: Yes

2004-12-19

-----------------------------------

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: