PDA

View Full Version : Red or White wine

Boost Infested
02-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Any good red/white wine that you can get from a local Liquor store?

brand, color and price please and than you.

2002civic
02-10-2005, 12:17 AM
wow im guessing you have no clue about wine, possibly for valentine's day? You might wanna post a limit because you can go from 6-200+ in a moment

Gondi Stylez
02-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Austrialian Shiraz Rosemont (red)
$15

I also like rosets but i dont know if that suits ur palatte? if so, pick one up, any zinefindel ($15-25)

Boost Infested
02-10-2005, 12:34 AM
nope, you are right i have no clue about wine. thanks Gondi, i needed some thing within $30 limit.

abyss
02-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
Austrialian Shiraz Rosemont (red)
$15

I also like rosets but i dont know if that suits ur palatte? if so, pick one up, any zinefindel ($15-25)

The Austrailian Shiraz is Hampstor's favorite as well for a cheaply priced red wine, I'm not a wine drinker myself so I can't offer any personal suggestions.

2002civic
02-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Wolf Blass Yellow Label, number 1 selling wine in Canada for the past couple years, its an australian red, cabernet i believe, its 35/bottle where i work so im sure its cheaper in stores, excellent with steak/other red meat

Weapon_R
02-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Franzia is very nice

QuasarCav
02-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Piat D'or = A nice bottle of 9 dollar white wine. It comes in red too and doesn't have an offensive taste. It's light and fruity!

jdmakkord
02-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Jack, hit me up on MSN if you need some wine. Asking here wont get you the "right bottle."

sputnik
02-10-2005, 11:39 AM
There is really no need to spend $30/bottle to share with or give to someone that isnt a wine expert. Pick up 2-3 bottles at $10-12/each instead

What are you going to be eating when the wine is being served? Here are my picks for a good simple table wine that arent too expensive.

Red
--
Ernest and Julio Gallo "Turning Leaf" Cabernet Sauvignon (USA)
Yellow Tail Merlot (Australia)

White
--
Mission Hill Family Reserve Sauvignon Blanc (Canada)

sputnik
02-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by 2002civic
Wolf Blass Yellow Label, number 1 selling wine in Canada for the past couple years, its an australian red, cabernet i believe, its 35/bottle where i work so im sure its cheaper in stores, excellent with steak/other red meat

$35/bottle at a restaurant usually works out to be no more than $15/bottle at a store

1badPT
02-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Summerhill Ehrenfelser - Best White for under $40 (if you can find it - Willow Park Liquor store usually has it) ~$25

Its appealing for new people to wines because its sweet and easy on the palate, almost like an ice wine but not as sickly sweet.

Black Tower Rivaner - Surprisingly good quality white wine for a very low price, find it in the German section of pretty much any good wine shop - ~$10

Its light and sweet as well but isn't quite as good as the Ehrenfelser.

Chateau de la Gardine - Best red for about $40 (you can find this everywhere that has a good wine selection). Find it in the French wine section.

Its pretty smooth and soft on the palate, unlike most other dry reds which tend to be harsh for people new to wine.

I would recommend staying away from Shiraz's - although they are among my favourite wines, someone new to wine would find them harsh.

roopi
02-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic

Yeah just around $15 in the store. Not bad for the price at all.

bspot
02-10-2005, 02:14 PM
I've heard of a way to get action on Valentines that is alot cheaper than a fancy dinner.

Can anyone tell me how to get roofies into a bottle of wine without making it look like the cork was disturbed?

Ben
02-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by bspot
I've heard of a way to get action on Valentines that is alot cheaper than a fancy dinner.

Can anyone tell me how to get roofies into a bottle of wine without making it look like the cork was disturbed?

Ask your dad, obviously worked for him.

rofl, just jokes, haha, couldn't resist.

jdmakkord has an extremely extremely good knowledge of wines. Whatever he suggests WILL be well liked.

Dave P
02-10-2005, 03:20 PM
http://www.thelittlepenguin.com/

About 13 bucks a bottle

I really enjoy the white

ramminghard
02-10-2005, 04:22 PM
fat bastard

jjjheimer
02-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Dont' buy canadian wine - its garbage no matter what anyone tells you. Its important to display some level of snobbishness when drinking wine.

Here's two great full body reds for the money at Superstore both Austalian

1995 (yes '95) Capogreco Shiraz - $17
2002 Peter Lehman Barossa Shiraz - $18

missblondie
02-10-2005, 11:27 PM
yellow label is my favorite as well, great price and very nice flavor

Super_Geo
02-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by bspot

You fucker.

I nearly choked on my drink I was laughing so hard! :rofl:

300rwhp
02-13-2005, 07:42 PM
canadians make the best dessert wine in the world hands down as for wines go for a south african one actually second though canadian selection of sa wine is shit peter lehman is okay but rather go for the penfolds st henri

JordanLotoski
02-13-2005, 07:50 PM
1997-98 far neinte cab...think its like 65 a bottle, resturants over 100

bksze
02-13-2005, 07:56 PM
should check out Khvanchkara, it's a Georgian red wine that is made in clay barrels rather than oak barrels. Very sweet wine. $23.99 at Franklin Liquor Stop (<--- insert shameless plug)

A good white wine is the Mark Tempe Gewurtzaminer, had it at the belvedere and could never find it anywhere. Mind you, I didn't really look too hard but it's a good bed if you see it.

jdmakkord
02-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
canadians make the best dessert wine in the world hands down as for wines go for a south african one actually second though canadian selection of sa wine is shit peter lehman is okay but rather go for the penfolds st henri

Canadians make the best icewines, and peter lehman is aussie, as is penfolds.

1badPT
02-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by bksze
should check out Khvanchkara, it's a Georgian red wine that is made in clay barrels rather than oak barrels. Very sweet wine. $23.99 at Franklin Liquor Stop (&lt;--- insert shameless plug)

A good white wine is the Mark Tempe Gewurtzaminer, had it at the belvedere and could never find it anywhere. Mind you, I didn't really look too hard but it's a good bed if you see it.

I've had Khvanchkara (I have one of the special edition clay bottles :) ) and its good stuff, and it would be a great choice for someone new to wine. :thumbsup:

Juicy
02-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Go to www.poppingcorks.com there's tons of wine reviews.

takunpho
03-07-2005, 04:52 PM
here are my recomemdations:

italian reds

-Castellare 2001, chianti. let it beath for about 2hrs ($22)

-BAdia a coltibuono 1999, chianti. let it breath for at least 4hrs ($24)

goes good with pizza, pasta, anything ltalian.

Austrian reds

-wynns coonawarra state, 1999, cab/sauvignon,shiraz/merlo ($18), let it breath for about 2hrs. this one's got really mature tannins which gives the depth to the wine, also lots of body and carries a bit of chocolately flavor.

-cape mentelle, cab, 1998, let it breath for 2hrs. ($39), one of the best autralian cab ia have ever purchased. lovely nose, slight licorisce in its nose and body, very earthy!

these goes really good with beef dish!

french reds

-Domaine de la rejarde, 2001, grenache/syra/insault. let it breath for 20 min. ($19).

-chateduneuf pape, year less, let it breath for 20min, ($30). spices bursts at first then followed by butterly finish. its got mouthwatering velvetty texture and it slides on back of mouth.

these french reds goes well with lamb meats, steaks, and heavy meats.

these are some of my recomendations. if you ask the worker at a wine shop, they should be able to make to suggestions as well. i think its important to consider what is the wine going to be served with. heavy full body wine should be paired with heavy meats, lighter ones should be paired up with light meats like checken and pork. the reason fo this is to have balance, if the wine is too heavy for meal, then it will overpower the food, and if the food is too heavy for the wine, then the wine's taste is pushed to the side.

hampstor
04-03-2005, 04:46 PM
I love this desert one from Tappen BC. It's from the Recline Ridge vineyard. It cant remember the name, but it comes in a tall, skinny dark blue bottle.

I've recently become addicted to this really nice white wine. It's really inexpensive (9 dollars at the co-op liquor store). It's Two Oceans from South Africa. I've found that it's harder to find though (for some reason).. it's got a really really soft fruit flavour to it.

Impreza
04-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Has anyone tried the Blackstone Merlot or Shiraz? Both are VERY good imo...

Rockski
04-04-2005, 04:24 PM
wolfblast shiraz

Tyler883
04-14-2005, 02:44 PM
If you are trying to impress a lady......don't buy anything that comes in a magnum sized bottle.

:rofl:

DonJuan
04-14-2005, 03:25 PM
I dont' usually drink wine (gives me a headache) but when I do I like the yellow label as mentioned as well as Blouberg (yes it's spelled correctly) it's a white wine from South africa and $12, which your supposed to keep in the fridge. I also liked a red wine that tasted nice and fruity, cant remember what it was but it was apparently a Jewish table wine.