02-10-2005, 11:20 AM
What do you guys think ?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/02/10/nkorea.talks/index.html

finboy
02-10-2005, 11:27 AM
i think korea just got bumped up on america's list of "who to liberate"

sputnik
02-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Looks like a perfect opportunity for the UN to prove themselves as an organization that is actually useful.

However with their track records in Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan and Iraq. I think they may just fail (again).

Primer_Drift
02-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Tied to the tracks and the stupid train just kept runnin' over them..
What do they want to prove? The admission of guilt serves only to deepen the divide. Talk about instigating a conflict. They fired Pyongyang missiles over Japan about a year ago, proving they have the delivery systems. Now they say "I've got a nuke!" and run away from diplomatic talks. They claim the US is " threatening it with a nuclear stick", and in defense they threaten all their neighbours withen shooting distance.

Nuclear Score:
Russia - 11,000+
US - 10,455
China - 400
NK - 1
(source www.cdi.org (http://www.cdi.org/issues/nukef&f/database/nukearsenals.cfm))

awd
02-10-2005, 12:38 PM
"I have Arec Bawin"

ninjak84
02-10-2005, 02:57 PM
I think this could go very bad for Korea.....
I remember when it was first announced that they had nukes ( a long time ago ), I thought it was game over.

Not sure exactly what Korea has to gain, but we'll see how it plays out.

Weapon_R
02-10-2005, 03:02 PM
I think it's great - perhaps now you guys will realize who the real threat is, and see the responses by the U.S. when there aren't any gains to be extracted.

gran turismo
02-10-2005, 03:19 PM
I think N. Korea is applying a little leverage. What will other nations give up to bring N. Korea back to the bargaining table?

Primer_Drift
02-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah, the US isn't overly concerned with attacks directly against them. If anything Japan is in the worst spot. IMO they are walking on glass because of their pre WWII expansionist acts ( 1930 - 1945). Any direct retaliation (or pre-emptive strike) to a North Korean attack could ignite tensions between Japan and China. Japan is North Koreas prime target for any attack, because fighting the Red Army is not a good idea for either country.

legendboy
02-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I think it's great - perhaps now you guys will realize who the real threat is, and see the responses by the U.S. when there aren't any gains to be extracted.

More like when there would be real restance involved.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Its seems to me (and I could be completely wrong on this) that what North Korea really wants is South Korea. They want it from a historical perspective, and they want it from an economic perspective. (South Korea has quite a bit of money, at least in comparison to North Korea) So, what they're essentially doing is holding South Korea hostage. I expect North Korea to basically say "OK, let us take control of South Korea, or we nuke it." They may not have the capability of lobbing nukes at any other powerful nuclear nation (Other than China, who they have no reason to nuke anyway), but they can hold the other countries under threat to get their way.

PGTze
02-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

:werd:

Yeah the US governemnt went after a smaller threat like Iraq instead of NK because they thought Iraq would be a much easier country to take out. Too bad the US has failed terribly at 'fixing' Iraq, and it took them much longer then expected to defeat Hassam's troops.

The thought that a wild card like North Korea is building nukes is scary shit. But really who knows what exactly the Koreans have. Maybey they ain't got shit. The fear is really the fear of the unknown, which is why the US will probably invade NK and go looking for the nukes that may be non existent.

ninjak84
02-10-2005, 05:57 PM
I see what Weapon_R and PGTze are making a point of, but what North Korea is doing makes this a little different than Iraq. Korea is bending over backwards to foreshadow their nuclear power.
Maybe I'm just a victim of slanted journalism, but I've been following the story for a while now, and it looks like Korea's got something....

I sure hope the situation dissipates though.

Nuclear war probably blows.

el_fefes
02-10-2005, 11:31 PM
The US won't do shit, the UN won't do shit. The US won't do shit because there's nothing to exploit in that area, and they also have China near by and to invade N. Korea would likely mean war with the Chinese, and who the hell wants war with China? WWIII!

And if WWIII comes it will probably be short lived. Nukes will be flying. It would be interesting to see what Russia's position would be...they've got the most toys.

kaput
02-11-2005, 02:57 AM

Toms-SC
02-11-2005, 11:37 AM
To make matters worse the Russians are talking with Iran right now to help launch their nuclear program.

Zephyr
02-11-2005, 11:36 PM
As soon as you see Kim Jong-il holding a barrel of oil, thats when you see American troops storming in.

rmk
02-12-2005, 06:36 PM
The American government's attitude towards North Korea over the last 50 years has nothing to do with how their government treats its people, or how much of a threat they are to their neighbors, or to the United States, or to anyone. It has to do with the fact that they do not allow American corporations to go into the country and take control of their resources. That's it! No other reason at all. This is the same reason for their policies against Cuba. They do not give a crap about the people of these countries.

If they did actually care about how governments treat their people, we would have huge hostility towards countries like Burma, Niger, Saudi Arabia, Turkmenistan. I saw a documentary on PBS last week about Niger -- over 8% of their population are slaves and slavery is legal in that country. Same goes for Burma, where Burmese slaves are used by several American corporations to produce goods that are then imported back to the United States. Next time you go into a sporting goods store and see a Spaulding T-Shirt, remember how it was made. The people in these countries are far worse off than the North Korean people. But these government's allow their people to be exploited by foreign business, so they are all good as far as our government is concerned.

Taking action against a bad government is not enough here. It must be done with some level of consistancy and for the right reasons. In many similar cases in the past, they have toppled communist governments only to install a capitalist one that was even worse towards their people, the main difference being that they allowed American corporations in. See Iran (Shah), Chile (Pinochet), Panama (Noriega), etc.

my 2 rupees.