PDA

View Full Version : Prince Charles to marry former lover!!

/////AMG
02-10-2005, 04:04 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005
Prince Charles to marry lover Camilla Parker Bowles

LONDON (AP) - Prince Charles announced Thursday that he will marry his lover, Camilla Parker Bowles, putting an official seal on a romance kindled three decades ago that Diana, Princess of Wales, blamed for the breakdown of her tempestuous marriage to the heir to the throne.

The announcement ruled out the possibility that Parker Bowles would become Queen, however.

The Prince of Wales and Parker Bowles will marry on Friday, April 8, at Windsor Castle, said Clarence House, Charles' residence and office.

They will be married in a largely private civil ceremony at the palace, not in a Church of England service. "There will subsequently be a service of prayer and dedication in St. George's Chapel at which the Archbishop of Canterbury will preside," said Clarence House.

Prince William, 22, and Prince Harry, 20, the sons of Prince Charles and the late Diana, said they were "delighted" at the news that their father will marry Parker Bowles.

Neither Charles nor Parker Bowles have the star power of Diana, whose memory remains strong in Britain, but theirs has been a peculiarly deep love story - one that has endured time, scrutiny and such intense criticism that Parker Bowles was once regularly insulted in the street.

The decision on the type of service reflects the fact that both are divorcees, and that Parker Bowles' former husband is still living. In general, the Church of England, the legally established faith of the nation, disapproves of the remarriage of divorced people in church.

As Britain's monarch, Prince Charles would be the supreme governor of the Church of England. Some Anglicans could oppose him holding this role as a divorcee who remarried outside the church.

There is no Act of Parliament saying that the wife of a king should be queen, but it is a historic convention. However, when Charles accedes to the throne, his wife will instead be known as HRH (Her Royal Highness) Princess Consort. Charles' decision appeared to be a nod to public opinion, which has never warmed to Parker Bowles.

Clarence House said there is no legal reason Parker Bowles could not become Queen, saying the decision was made by the couple.

Prince Charles, in addition to being Prince of Wales, is Duke of Cornwall. After their marriage, Parker Bowles will not use the title Princess of Wales, but would like people to call her the Duchess of Cornwall, Clarence House said.

The wedding announcement received the blessing of the Queen, who said she was very happy that her son and Parker Bowles will marry. Prime Minister Tony Blair also said he was "delighted." A spokeswoman for Diana's brother Earl Spencer said he would be making no comment on the announcement.

Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, said the wedding service plans "have my strong support and are consistent with Church of England guidelines concerning remarriage."

The Queen and Blair held a regularly scheduled meeting Wednesday night and discussed Charles' wedding plans, officials said. Blair gave the Queen legal advice before she gave the wedding her royal consent, the officials said, refusing to discuss the advice.

On the streets of central London, many Britons welcomed Charles' announcement but said they may never love Parker Bowles as they had Diana.

"Diana is still in so many people's hearts," said Chris Morris, 54, a building engineer. "Queen Camilla wouldn't be so popular."

Charles, 56, divorced from Diana in 1996, a year before she was killed in a Paris car crash. Parker Bowles, 57, obtained her divorce from army officer Andrew Parker Bowles in 1995.

A police inquest is still being conducted into the 1997 Paris car crash, and the wedding will take place before its completion.

Charles, the eldest son of the Queen, first met Camilla Shand in the early 1970s and they had a brief romance which ended in late 1972 when the prince was called away on naval duties. Shand married Andrew Parker Bowles, a long-standing admirer, in 1973.

Throughout the late 1970s Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles kept up contact and became close friends again toward the end of the decade. They remained so after Charles' 1981 marriage to Diana.

In the early days of their romance, when Parker Bowles was still single, she reportedly told the prince: "My great-grandmother was your great-great-grandfather's mistress. So how about it?"

Diana blamed the friendship for the failure of her marriage to the Prince of Wales. "There were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded," Diana said in a 1995 TV interview.

While the saga of the disintegrating royal marriage played out publicly, Parker Bowles was often cast as the villain, the object both of invective for being a "marriage breaker" and of ridicule over tapes of intimate conversations between her and the prince that emerged in 1992.

In 1994, Prince Charles admitted in a TV documentary that he had strayed from his marriage vows but insisted the infidelity happened only after the marriage was "irretrievably broken down, us both having tried." It was widely assumed, but never confirmed, that Parker Bowles was the other woman.

Parker Bowles soon became a recognizable figure and in April 1997 took a tentative step into public life when she became patron of the National Osteoporosis Society. An official photograph was released to mark the occasion. In July that year, Charles hosted a party for her to celebrate her 50th birthday.

The couple appeared less frequently in public after Diana's death in August 1997, but in 1999 Parker Bowles met Charles' sons Prince William and Prince Harry for the first time.

In recent years, she has regularly accompanied Charles to galas and become accustomed to appearing in front of the media. She now lives with Charles at his Clarence House residence in central London.

Last year, a poll indicated that more Britons support Prince Charles marrying Parker Bowles than oppose it. Thirty-two per cent of respondents to the Populus poll said they would support Charles if he remarried, while 29 per cent were opposed. Thirty-eight per cent said they didn't care and two per cent had no opinion.

© The Canadian Press, 2005

QuasarCav
02-10-2005, 04:14 PM
I have to phone my granny, I bet this is all over the UK.

shakalaka
02-10-2005, 04:18 PM
I wish I was a Prince. That would be so sweet.

abyss
02-10-2005, 04:20 PM
I say good for him, it's about bloody time. They've "been together" more than long enough to warrant it, and if the princes are okay with it then it's good all around.

/////AMG
02-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
I have to phone my granny, I bet this is all over the UK.

:werd: Its everywhere. the papers will be on this and only this tomorrow.

I think hes an idiots. No point in marrying Diana if all he did was love this chick. He made a bad choice and made the paper and tabloids a lot of money in the last 20 years. I still feel sorry for Diana, even though shes dead.

Oh looky 10:30PM news is on, and guess who they're talking about.

Team_Mclaren
02-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG

I think hes an idiots. No point in marrying Diana if all he did was love this chick. He made a bad choice and made the paper and tabloids a lot of money in the last 20 years. I still feel sorry for Diana, even though shes dead.

:werd: who wouldnt feel sorry for her really and Charles is a tool, hope he never gets to be king.

/////AMG
02-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Of course he won't be king. man. The Queen is a bitch, she won't give her title up until she is dead, but then she'll probably come back to life and take it back then die again.
I want William or Harry to be King, haha actually Harry would be a good king. :nut: :thumbsup:

Team_Mclaren
02-10-2005, 05:22 PM
:rofl: as much as a bitch the queen is now, shes still better than charles..

/////AMG
02-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Ohhh, tough call man, tough call, ahh screw em both

Tyler883
02-10-2005, 07:37 PM
who cares!?!?!?!?!!?

:dunno:

cman
02-10-2005, 08:27 PM
haha jeeze, my mom and grandparents arnt to happy. im just glad its not on every page and every channel like it is there.

Charon
02-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Lets hope they have no children...... I dont think we have an ugly scale that long.

5abi
02-11-2005, 01:18 AM
she's obviously not his former lover, if they plan on getting married!:english:

kiwi
02-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Funny how they chose "Bride of Chucky" as the healine title in the paper today! lol

/////AMG
03-03-2005, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by 5abi
she's obviously not his former lover, if they plan on getting married!:english:

Just because they we're lovers doesn't mean they had to get married :rolleyes:

Prince Charles greeted by topless aboriginals
http://today.reuters.com/genImage.aspx?uri=mdf879384.jpg&resize=full

Topless Aboriginal dancers welcomed Britain's Prince Charles in Australia's outback on Wednesday, where locals were preparing to throw a bachelor party for the newly engaged royal. Charles, who is due to wed divorcee Camilla Parker-Bowles on April 8, was greeted in Alice Springs with a traditional indigenous dance to wish him a safe journey in Australia.

Locals at the outback town's Bojangles bar were preparing to party as the future king of Australia arrived. Australia is a former British colony which retains the British monarch as its head of state.

"We won't be shaving any eyebrows, no balls and chains, no gaffer-taping VB (beer) cans to anyone and putting them out in the park. It's a bit of wholesome fun with a bit of cheeky Australian humor," publican Chris Vaughan said.

Royal-watchers are aghast at the increasingly farcical preparations for his wedding, with the venue for the civil ceremony switched to a local town hall and Charles's mother Queen Elizabeth saying she will not attend.

The bachelor party organizers had received plenty of offers of entertainment for the event, including naked women jumping out of cakes. "Women want to do all sorts of things for Charlie," one of them said.

While in Alice Springs, where temperatures topped 38 degrees Celsius (100 Fahrenheit), Charles was due to visit the Royal Flying Doctors Service, an indigenous science and technology center, a desert park, and an Aboriginal art

---------------------------------------------

The look on his face hahaha:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

goldenrocket
03-03-2005, 08:29 AM
:barf: haha fat old sagging aboriginal women, who wouldnt want to mack it up

BokCh0y
03-03-2005, 09:36 AM
whatever turns his crank.

rmk
03-03-2005, 10:59 AM
they both need to treat themselves to some post-wedding plastic sugeries.:eek: