PDA

View Full Version : Ever Notice these things before?

SpeedStar
02-10-2005, 04:23 PM
http://picturemessaging.rogers.com/mi/3592089_12149806_0.jpeg

Spotted on 64th Ave & Center St North. The Blue Light above pedestrian lights. It came on during the"Walk" & on while the "Red Hand" was flashing. Just wondering if anyone has noticed these before or what they're for.

Dope Dealer
02-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Image doesnt load for me.

thinmyster
02-10-2005, 04:29 PM
where it counts down how much time you have to walk????
they have them all over banff but apparently it doesnt mean anything cause eveyone there just walks where they want to when they want to :banghead: :banghead:

bspot
02-10-2005, 04:31 PM
I thought it was for the firestation near by so they can turn the lights green :dunno:

BigBearWest
02-10-2005, 04:34 PM
I thought they were for ppl with seeing problems

izzoblitzo
02-10-2005, 04:42 PM
I believe those are sensors for emergency vehicles.

I remember being at a light in signal hill, and it had one of those blue lights mounted to the side... when the ambulance approached (sirens and lights going off), the traffic lights seemed to have changed a lot quicker.. the intersecting traffic got the yellow light almost instantly.

I cant confirm, and it coulda just been a coincidence, but it seems logical for it's purpose.

BlackArcher101
02-10-2005, 04:59 PM
The traffic signals along Centre Street North are equipped with a feature
called transit priority. This system permits transit buses to turn the
north/south signal green a few seconds early, or hold it green a few seconds
later, than would normally be the case. The objective is to reduce delays
for buses using the corridor. A bus places a call to the traffic signal with
a strobe light that is mounted on the bus. A detector at the signal receives
the call and causes the transit priority feature to be activated. The blue
light that you have seen at the intersections on Centre Street is a
confirmation light to indicate to transit operators that they have placed a
transit priority call to the traffic signal controller at the intersection
and that it will be serviced.

Should you require further information on this system please contact:

Pat Grisak, P.Eng.
Senior Traffic Signals Engineer
Signals Division
Calgary Roads Business Unit
Voice (403) 268-2513 Fax (403) 268-5850
E-mail: [email protected]
Municipal Building 7B8, Mail Code: 8190

SpeedStar
02-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Sorry if it didn;t load.... I attached it this time

BlackArcher101

Thanks, that makes sense.

BumpinTalon
02-10-2005, 07:17 PM
there are also the same things on fire trucks and ambulances, they will give them right of way immediately, and they are all over the city, not just on Center Street.

thinmyster
02-10-2005, 08:12 PM
is it true that if you flash your high beams and honk your horn to immitate a emerg vehicle that it will turn quicker for yah. Iknow they have weight sensors to do this in slow intersections right?

ramminghard
02-10-2005, 08:40 PM
i had been wondering about those too. They just seemed to come on and off randomly.

BlackArcher101
02-10-2005, 10:18 PM
These are not the same as the emergency vehicle priority detectors. An emergency vehicle will change the light immediately while these will just lengthen the time the light stays green.

And no, you can't imitate an emergency vehicle. You need a strobe light that flashes at the correct rate.

Vick7
02-12-2005, 08:51 AM
whatever happend to eveyone just gettin the fack oudda the way when u c the emergency vechicles comin toward u:nut: .
and 4 the buses they should wait their turn..we should create a blue light and we all shold have a strob so when we get to the lights they hcange for all beyond membes:D

Kyle

Barking_Spidre
02-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
[B]is it true that if you flash your high beams and honk your horn to immitate a emerg vehicle that it will turn quicker for yah. [B]

I highly doubt it's cause of the sound the ambulance or fire truck makes. I bet they emit a signal, or have a button to push... or something along those lines.