PDA

View Full Version : Importing cars and inspection

Ghettobaby
02-10-2005, 07:38 PM
For all you guys out there who have imported cars from places such as japan, what forms have you needed in order to get an inspection done on your cars and where have you taken your cars?

TypeS
02-10-2005, 11:21 PM
All I needed was the "Form 1" that customs issues when they have inspected/cleared your car. Took this to the registry with the bill of sale, got my OoP forms, got them passed, took my OoP certificate to my insurance etc. You got a form 1 right?!?

Ghettobaby
02-11-2005, 12:06 AM
Yeah I got the form 1, where did you get your out of province/out of country inspection done. I've been on the phone all day and am consistently being told that I needed the recall letter.

Altezza
02-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Ghettobaby
Yeah I got the form 1, where did you get your out of province/out of country inspection done. I've been on the phone all day and am consistently being told that I needed the recall letter.

Call the manufacturer for the recall clearance letter.

Out of country inspections are contracted by RIV to Canadian Tire. You can get a provincial inspection from almost anywhere. Canadian Tire can also do the provincial inspection if you want.

Ghettobaby
02-11-2005, 12:37 AM
I did contact Toyota Canada after going to Charlesglen, Heninger and Country Hills Toyota, and all of them said that i would need to get in touch with Toyota Japan for the recall letter due to the fact that there is no international tracking system for safety failures. But I have not been able to get throught to anybody at Toyota Japan cuz they don't understand english and i don't speak japanese.
Is there any other place to get the inspection done, alot of people say that they have not needed the recall letter but CT won't do the inspection unless you can provide them with the letter.

Phuqu
02-11-2005, 02:37 AM
I have the Japan address for Toyota Motors if you need it. Toyota Canada or Toyota US will not be able to assist you.

As for the recall letter. I was under the assumption Customs was to request the letter and wouldn't give out a Form 1 without it. I got my Form 1 without them asking for my recall letter. I had requested my recall letter weeks in advance just to make sure.

I don't have my Form 1 in front of me. If you do re-read that part to see if Customs overlooked it and you may not need it anymore.

As for inspections, anyplace that does out of province can do the inspection. You only need Crappy Tire if your vehicle is registered in the RIV program.

If it's 15 years old it's not in the RIV and it will say that right on your Form 1.

Go4Long
02-11-2005, 09:49 AM
like he said...take your form 1 and bill of sale to a registry, get a Request for out of province inspection done, take that with you to an out of province certified shop(I recommend kensington automotive on kensington road just east of crowchild, they were the cheapest I found) tell them you want an oop, they will do the oop, give you a form, and then you can take that back to the registry and register the car...you do NOT need a recall letter.

TypeS
02-11-2005, 10:55 AM
dude I dont know whats going on.....but I got my OoP done at crappy tire....and I've never even heard of a recall letter:dunno:
which CT are you going to? I had mine done at the shawnessey location because its a first come first serve style auto-service center....so you will almost always get your car in the day you give it to them, and get it back that night or the next morning.

Ghettobaby
02-11-2005, 11:14 AM
I went to the one by silver city and the one at dalhousie. I even had my form one with me when i went. At first i tried to tell them that i didn't need a recall letter and then the got there manager to come talk to me and he kept telling me that i do need it and that they wouldn't even touch my car unless i brought them the form 1 with the recall letter.

Ghettobaby
02-11-2005, 11:16 AM
But today i'm just going to try kensington automotive, and hopefully get this car registered and insured soon so i can drive it in this nice weather.

TypeS
02-11-2005, 04:28 PM
you dont bring the form 1 to canadian tire dude, you bring it to the registry with a bill of sale....you need an OoP inspection form before you can ask someone to inspect it for you....is this your problem?:dunno: