PDA

View Full Version : Attn. Tradespeople.....

CalgarySS
02-12-2005, 07:29 PM
I found this link on another local site. The following is a simple quote and does not necessarily reflect my opinion....

"As you may or may not know, our government is bringing in 18 000 "Replacement Workers" to take our jobs!! This means, Welders, Pipefitters, Plumbers, Electricians, Labour, etc.
This is an issue that effects both Union and Non-Union workers.
What will happen?
By allowing our government to bring these workers over it WILL lower our wages, lower our standard of living, put more Canadians on the Unemployment list, Over tax our health care, and none of the money they make will stay in Canada.

WE NEED TO MAKE A STAND!!! Let's send them a message!"

http://www.albertabuildingtrades.com/mla_intro.asp

http://www.dragnflycustoms.com/forum/uploads/post-13-1108131670.gif

rmk
02-12-2005, 08:00 PM
non-alberta workers have been making their way into the province for the last 5-10 yrs significantly. bc, sask, man, on, nb, ns, etc. taking "our" jobs, homes, etc. why all the fuss now?

imo, we need to be competitive, but also get used to the fact that we live in the best province in canada. who can blame people for not wanting the "alberta advantage?"?

flamesuit now on!

redblack
02-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by rmk
non-alberta workers have been making their way into the province for the last 5-10 yrs significantly. bc, sask, man, on, nb, ns, etc. taking "our" jobs, homes, etc. why all the fuss now?

The fuss is , when the start flooding the work force with foriegn workers they will cause the wages to go down significantly. when other workers come other provinces they get payed the same wages as per the unions collective agreement. overseas workers are ready and willing to take a huge pay cut, stay here and work a bit take all there money home. Me personally would have to money go to canadain workers and there family.

CalgarySS
02-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by CalgarySS
I found this link on another local site. The following is a simple quote and does not necessarily reflect my opinion....

"As you may or may not know, our government is bringing in 18 000 "Replacement Workers" to take our jobs!! This means, Welders, Pipefitters, Plumbers, Electricians, Labour, etc.
This is an issue that effects both Union and Non-Union workers.
What will happen?
By allowing our government to bring these workers over it WILL lower our wages, lower our standard of living, put more Canadians on the Unemployment list, Over tax our health care, and none of the money they make will stay in Canada.

WE NEED TO MAKE A STAND!!! Let's send them a message!"

http://www.albertabuildingtrades.com/mla_intro.asp

http://www.dragnflycustoms.com/forum/uploads/post-13-1108131670.gif

Please read the letter. The author actually encourages the use of other Canadian workers.

CokerRat
02-12-2005, 11:14 PM
The fact is that if companies are looking abroad for tradesmen (and technical people for that matter), it is because there are not enough readily available in Canada to fill that demand. There are lots of tradesmen working in Alberta from other provinces right now and the fact is there just aren't enough.

zoorocz
02-13-2005, 02:14 PM
who cares let them come they aren't gona last long any way i just wana see them working in -30 degree wather :rofl: .
And all the major oil companes are are gona find out the hard way 1st of how are they gona comunicate i dought that they all speek english 2nd saftey pepole are gona drope like flyes heck even we have accidents at work and we have bin doing this for years and 3rd is the quality of the work and production, they think they are going to come here from Mexico and are going to know every thing about ther trade some body is going to have to train these pepole probabley with our TAX money.

ninspeed
02-13-2005, 06:34 PM
as long as the people come here to work, and not mooch off our social programs thats fine. They should be taxed like any other canadian, and not get any tax breaks. As long as they are working, and contributing to our economy, they should be welcomed here. (dont forget, they still need to spend money to live here)

frostyda9
02-15-2005, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about an influx of non Alberta workers. It would be hypocritical of me to say anything on the subject, seeing as I came from BC myslef. I would say close to half of the people I met at work originated from provinces other than Alberta. Also, with the dwindling attractiveness of the trades for most young people these days, and the fact that a large percentage of the workforce is within 5 years of retirement, there will continue to be a strong demand for qualified workers for some time.