PDA

View Full Version : Celi GT-S to GT-4 conversion?

CryoCarnage
02-12-2005, 09:04 PM
has anyone eer doen this? I mean like take a normal Celica GT-S for 94 and swap most of the parts out for an ALL-Trac also does anyone know by chance how muc ha shell of a 92 Celica cost? THX.

CelicaST-162
02-12-2005, 09:07 PM
yes it has been done, the engine swap i assume you are talking about

big_k
02-12-2005, 09:08 PM
yeah, the swap would not be a problem, not to sure about the all wheel drive though, i'm assuming you could do it, but i'm sure the entire rear suspension would be different aswell, it would be a big job. not worth it imo, you could just buy a GT-4

CryoCarnage
02-12-2005, 09:39 PM
no shell costs anyone?

Toms-SC
02-12-2005, 09:47 PM
My lord

You have done threads about Turbos, NOS, MR2 Engines, And newer Celica engines.
Why don't you sell what you have, and get a friggin GT-4?

Toms-SC
02-12-2005, 09:54 PM
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?adID=7138196&pgno=4

There

Godfuader
02-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
has anyone eer doen this? I mean like take a normal Celica GT-S for 94 and swap most of the parts out for an ALL-Trac also does anyone know by chance how muc ha shell of a 92 Celica cost? THX.

Yeah, the engine swap has been done lots of times. If you are looking to buy a '92 (Gen. 5) to swap into...Dont! its not worth the time and money to start from scratch. Rather just get an All-trac. You live in Ontario and you should be able to find one from time to time. If you are a bit adventerous, then just import a RHD one...Cheaper and more powerful.

Now if you are looking at a '94 (Gen. 6) then it would be worth it to find a shell and start from scratch. The '94 is way lighter (2560lbs vs. 2943lbs) BUT if you are lookin for the complete package with the 4WD conversion, which i have been contemplating for a while, the price tends to get very high due to extensive and expensive fabrication. In ontario finding a JDM 3S-GTE should not be too difficult. Good luck anyways and hope you get something going :thumbsup:

http://toyotacelicaonline.com/celica1/3sgteswap.htm

Redlyne_mr2
02-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Ive done the swap its pretty easy, just makes sure you have a front clip rather than just the engine. There is a bunch of stuff you need off the clip including the hood.

frozenrice
02-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Not to whore this thread, but since you're on the topic of Toyota FWD to AWD conversions, has anyone ever tried to covert a V6 Camry wagon to ALL-TRAC? Was the Camry All-Trac available only on the 4cyl?

CelicaST-162
02-13-2005, 08:01 PM
I am pretty sure the all trac camrys never came V6

big_k
02-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Not to whore this thread, but since you're on the topic of Toyota FWD to AWD conversions, has anyone ever tried to covert a V6 Camry wagon to ALL-TRAC? Was the Camry All-Trac available only on the 4cyl?

You cannot convert the V-6 Wagon to all trac, simple as that. First off, the wagon is much longer, therefor, you could not use the same drive shaft as the sedan. If you were going from a sedan FWD, to AWD, then yes you can, but very difficuly, and not worth it IMO. You have to replace the entire rear assembly, such as suspension, brakes and what not. AND, the all tracs are 4 cyl only, no v-6 all tracs out there.

If you want the all trac camry, and in calgary, be prepared to wait, its very hard to find one in good condition anywhere close. Trust me, I have looked. I have seen two or three around town, non looked to be in good shape.

If you do find an all trac camry though, a killer swap is the 3SGTE, it would be an awsome sleeper IMO.

schmooot
02-14-2005, 04:12 PM
the alltrac has a completely different frame design for one. The body is designed with different structural integrity. You could easily swap an alltrac motor into a gts but it would take a completely rebuilt frme from the ground up to mate the alltrac components. And why would you want to? The best thing about the swap is now you have a turbo motor built to drive a heavier car and all 4 wheels, now only driving 2 wheels and a lighter car. Which equals much more power to the ground if not the loss of quite a bit of traction

frozenrice
02-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks. I was just wondering if it was at all possible. Not that I'd seriously consider it or anything. If I ever want to get an all-wheel drive wagon I'll look at the Subies. Legacy GT of course....the Outbacks are too common.