PDA

View Full Version : Expensive beef. Why ??

fast95pony
02-13-2005, 03:51 PM
I enjoyed a nice New York Steak at the Keg on Friday. The steak was expensive. With farmers having problems selling their beef ,why does beef still cost so much ?? Who is jacking up the price ?? Why is the government giving hand-outs to the farmers when we still have to pay so much for beef ??

Something doesn't add up !!

Skylinelover
02-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Meat packers, they pay less and then sell for more.

Weapon_R
02-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Restaurants...

They aren't going to change their menus every time the price of meat fluctuates.

benyl
02-13-2005, 08:00 PM
the price of beef is higher than it was before the BSE crisis. Something is fuxored with the market.

The Restaurants are just passing on the extra cost to the consumer.

When beef goes on sale... I get to go shopping...

hockeybronx
02-14-2005, 01:20 PM
The costs don't really seem to phase me at all. When I go shopping, I look for what kind of meat I want, then I find the variation of the meat and then I just grab it. I don't really look at the price.:confused:

There are tons of other less useful things that we all waste our money on, so why worry?

legendboy
02-14-2005, 02:00 PM
obviously resturants are taking advantage of the situation and raising their prices since they can blame it on the bse situation.

its the same as chocolate and flower prices doubling on valentines day :D

fast95pony
02-14-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm not worried about the actual price. The only reason I went to The Keg was because I had a $100 gift certificate from work :) .
I normally eat very little meat because I'm trying to loose weight still.

What bothers me is that the farmers are going broke because they cannot sell their cows ,or are selling them at very low prices.However by the time the beef reaches the consumer the price is still high.

So some one (I'm guessing the American-owned packers ) is making a LOT of money by buying low and selling high.

In addition, our tax money is being used to bail out the farmers..

That doesn't sit well with me.

'93 SR-V
02-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Everybody has to take their cut. The ranchers are being forced to sell at a low price, but there are still the meat packers, distributors, and retailers that have to make a profit.

You also have to consider that food costs generally only account for 25-30% of the menu price at a restaurant, and a place like the keg would be using premium product (Well aged AAA cuts). So a plate that sells for $30 would actually really have around $8 worth of product. Take a look at the price of a nice steak the next time you are shopping, and you have your explanation.