PDA

View Full Version : Solid gold car?

Carfanman
02-13-2005, 10:59 PM
After reading the "Most Expensive car in the world" thread this question accured to me.
Would a car built from sold gold (body, engine, ect...) run well? Could it even be built?

BerserkerCatSplat
02-13-2005, 11:22 PM
It would be insanely heavy, to begin with. Built from solid gold, it would probably weigh more than a tank!

TypeS
02-13-2005, 11:37 PM
gold is really really soft....so wear your seatbelt:thumbsup:
I don't think it could be done, and internal combustion engine needs stronger materials to operate. Gold is great with heat, infact its one of the best heat shields out there (space shuttles, Mclaren F1) but unless you've created some crazy titanium/gold alloy....your shit out of luck building a car with it:nut:

JordanLotoski
02-13-2005, 11:49 PM
LOL......gold....who needs gold...how about a car made out of diamonds, anyone know if this can be done...LOL

GTS Jeff
02-14-2005, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
LOL......gold....who needs gold...how about a car made out of diamonds, anyone know if this can be done...LOL no, cuz u cant really shape diamonds properly.

and the gold thing wouldnt work either cuz gold is too soft. same reason u cant build a bike out of cardboard.

EK 2.0
02-14-2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
same reason u cant build a bike out of cardboard.

pfffffftt...says you homie...;)

Phats
02-14-2005, 01:53 AM
the problem with a diamond car would be that, diamonds burn, wouldn't work too well for an engine

Police
02-14-2005, 02:13 AM
WTF gold car what a stupid question???ohh this coming carfanman NO WONDER haha go back to school and take some chemistry 20. Or do they not teach chemistry in the states?

GTS Jeff
02-14-2005, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Police
WTF gold car what a stupid question???ohh this coming carfanman NO WONDER haha go back to school and take some chemistry 20. :rofl: :rofl: pwned!!!

definitive proof that high school is better than running off your mouth with bs

Barking_Spidre
02-14-2005, 09:39 AM
It wouldn't run at all. Gold is waaay too soft. As mentioned above.

abyss
02-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Carfanman
After reading the "Most Expensive car in the world" thread this question accured to me.
Would a car built from sold gold (body, engine, ect...) run well? Could it even be built?

He didn't say SOLID gold......:rofl: :drama: I'm sure a SOLD gold car would run MUCH better.:devil: That's as bad as your codnom comment in the other thread. :rofl:

Phy
02-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Barking_Spidre
It wouldn't run at all. Gold is waaay too soft. As mentioned above.

As in, if you bite a piece of gold, you'll leave teeth marks in it. Your pistons and cylinder walls would end up looking like balloons.

If your engine was steel or aluminum, but the frame was all gold, your car would probably droop on its weak golden axles.

If the mechanical and structural bits were all made of structural metal, but the body panels were gold, your car'd still need shocks off a open-pit mine haul truck.

Now, what you want, is a car made out of glassy metal (http://www.liquidmetal.com/index/default.asp) . Stronger than God, I tell you what.

Wildcat
02-14-2005, 11:00 AM
christ... it doesnt take an architect to answer this one... :rofl:

Mad$ella
02-14-2005, 03:23 PM
I am pretty sure Bill Gates has a Solid Gold Benzo...
Some one look it up, I am sure he has a completely gold car though

sputnik
02-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

he said solid gold CAR... not solid gold HOUSE :rofl: :rofl:

Skylinelover
02-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Could you make a turbo out of recycled chinese newspaper?

bspot
02-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Skylinelover
Could you make a turbo out of recycled chinese newspaper?

Yes, you just need a kickass intercooler so it doesn't burn.

DUBBED
02-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

ROFL!!!

hollywood_35
02-14-2005, 05:59 PM
who says it needs to be an internal combustion engine?

googe
02-14-2005, 06:30 PM
carfanman, it is better to remain silent and have everyone think you are an idiot, than to start a thread like this and remove all doubt. ;)

Phy
02-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by hollywood_35
who says it needs to be an internal combustion engine?

Well, it could be an external combustion engine. Light a bunch of peons on fire and get them to push it for you.

ricebowl
02-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by googe
carfanman, it is better to remain silent and have everyone think you are an idiot, than to start a thread like this and remove all doubt. ;)

I thought it was an interesting question.

Originally posted by CycloneAWD

HAHAHA.. great stuff.

240droptop
02-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman

If you read the thread a bit closer its a platted gold not solid gold

Idratherbsidewayz
02-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Yes, you just need a kickass intercooler so it doesn't burn.

Intercooler's cool the air going into the engine, not the turbo...

JordanLotoski
02-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

why would an architect answer this one though.....id think an engineer!:rofl:

http://img54.exs.cx/img54/5245/phez9pj.png

Police
02-15-2005, 08:27 PM
^HAHA

NickGT
02-15-2005, 09:18 PM

http://img54.exs.cx/img54/5245/phez9pj.png

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That's what I was thinking

90Tegra
02-15-2005, 10:04 PM
:drama: lol hahaha that is some fucked up question. yo next time control your curiousity.

Wildcat
02-15-2005, 11:22 PM

thanks tips, but i was referring to the other thread about him not going to school and wanting to become a rich architect by doing jack shit. but thanks for distinguishing an engineer from an architect captain obvious, you saved the day on this one.

ricebowl
02-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Architectural engineer anyone? haha... I'm majoring in that, hopefully.

nanohurtz
09-19-2005, 03:49 PM
o.k. this particular thread sparked my curiosity in passing. However, it would seem that some (not all) of the slightly misinformed comments provided served to either insult or inhibit Carfanman's innocent curiosity.

Is a "solid" (24K) gold car construction conceivable? No.

Gold is a transition metal which makes it a highly pliable (can be shaped or molded) and conductive (can transport electrons, wiring) material. Therefore construction would simply be impossible to achieve due to weight constriants across the automobiles design parameters (i.e. axis, framebody, etc).

The melting point of pure gold is 1064.43 C or 1947.9741 F. The exit temperature of a combustian engine is around 1700 C or 3100 F. At these temperatures the engine would simply melt upon ignition.

Exhibit 1: Composition of Gold http://www.chemicalelements.com/elements/au.html

There have been numerous attempts with varied results on constructing a gold car under the following premise.

1. A functional combustian or ottoman design can not conceivably function as a viable means of transportation. Therefore said car would be merely serve as a presentational model.

2. Various materials would need to be introduced along with gold to feasibly complete the overall construct of a full size automobile (i.e. materials for its interior furnishings, tires, frame body, engine...etc..etc)

3. The only exception being miniatures

Interestingly enough there does a exist a one of a kind collection of 100 solid 24K gold miniature automoblies under lock and key at the franklin institute. Said to have been donated to the U.S. by a former sultan of the middle east, the collection includes an exact replica (8 x 3 x 3) model of a rolls royce with diamond encrusted wheels and head lights.

Exhibit 2: 24K Delorian
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-76649.html

I do apologize for the age of the samples provided from the internet search results. However, I do hope this answers your question.

lastprodigy
09-19-2005, 04:44 PM
lol carfanmans sheer idiocy shines through yet again ...... they should make an island for ppl like you

other potential "exile" island candidates:

Madsella
scurchill39

DJ Lazy
09-19-2005, 06:48 PM
This thread is 7 months old... close it!! :rofl: :closed:

streetarab
09-19-2005, 07:25 PM
^^:werd: :drama: :whocares:

:repost: :repost: :repost: :repost:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76649

is this a pimple or a boil? :hijack: