PDA

View Full Version : good back workout?

finboy
02-14-2005, 12:08 AM
anyone here have a really good back routine? i only know of a couple exercises for it.

BloodBaneZXY
02-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Deadlifts
BarBell Rows
Weighted pullups
Pulley Rows
Good mornings

Wildcat
02-14-2005, 12:14 AM
i just started a new back routine actually, i do a total change over every 2-3 months. here it is:

Back

- machine pulldowns, 2 warm up and 3 working sets 8-12 reps.
- 4 sets one arm rows (dumbell), 8-12 reps.
- 3 sets machine rows or smith machine rows, 8-12 reps.
- 3 sets full deadlifts, 12 reps.
- 3 sets close grip cable rows, to failure.

ive been doing it for the last 3 weeks, already my lats feel fuller than before.

DUBBED
02-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Seated Row (shoulder wide grip) - 30-15-12-10-8-6-30
Lat pull downs (shoulder wide grip) - 3x8-10
Close grip row - 3x8-10
Bent over DB Row - 3x8-10
Stiff armed pull downs - 3x8-10 (SLOW)

Stiff arm pull downs (for lack of better name), stand in front of the cable rack, and grab the handle. Now keep your arms straight and pull your hands down to your waist. Try to stay perfectly still and take about 3 seconds up 3 seconds down.

If your back isn't sore after that then workout harder. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I usually do deadlifts with legs.

finboy
02-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
i just started a new back routine actually, i do a total change over every 2-3 months. here it is:

Back

- machine pulldowns, 2 warm up and 3 working sets 8-12 reps.
- 4 sets one arm rows (dumbell), 8-12 reps.
- 3 sets machine rows or smith machine rows, 8-12 reps.
- 3 sets full deadlifts, 12 reps.
- 3 sets close grip cable rows, to failure.

hmm, any chance you can break that down into more simple terms? still new at this.

btw, whats the deal with doing reps as follows...
12 - 10 - 8 - 6 - 12 - 12

light to heavier then light again for the last 12

worthwhile or just stick to the 3 sets of 8-12?

Wildcat
02-14-2005, 12:40 AM
i dont mess around with my rep scheme. just pack on more weight if it feels to easy, i always try and shoot for the 8-12 rep range. if i cant reach those reps doing the exercise properly than thats a signal that im doing too much weight.

machine pulldowns are with the straight bar with curved ends that hangs on a pully above a seat. the seat has pads that go above the knees to hold you in place.

one arm rows with a dumbell is when you place your knee on a bench and plant your corresponding hand further down the bench (like half your body is on all fours). your other leg is extended to the ground for balance while your other coresponding arm lifts a dumbell from a fully extended position on the ground into a retracted rowing position.

machine rows are when you use that bench that is angled upwards, laying chest down on it. you raise the attached straight bar with curved ends in a rowing motion. the key to the exercise is being able to feel your shoulder blades pinch together.

deadlifts are self explanatory, its lifting a barbell. your legs are not locked in this case, bend them freely and extend upwards fully.

close grip cable rows is using the pully that is located infront of you with a small 2 pronged handle. your feet are planted infront of you, legs bent, and continue a rowing motion (really similar to olympic rowing posture) again focus on pinching your shoulder blades together.

i tried my best to explain them, i dont blame you for getting confused, i tried surfing for pics but i couldnt find any :dunno:

finboy
02-14-2005, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
i dont mess around with my rep scheme. just pack on more weight if it feels to easy, i always try and shoot for the 8-12 rep range. if i cant reach those reps doing the exercise properly than thats a signal that im doing too much weight.

machine pulldowns are with the straight bar with curved ends that hangs on a pully above a seat. the seat has pads that go above the knees to hold you in place.

one arm rows with a dumbell is when you place your knee on a bench and plant your corresponding hand further down the bench (like half your body is on all fours). your other leg is extended to the ground for balance while your other coresponding arm lifts a dumbell from a fully extended position on the ground into a retracted rowing position.

machine rows are when you use that bench that is angled upwards, laying chest down on it. you raise the attached straight bar with curved ends in a rowing motion. the key to the exercise is being able to feel your shoulder blades pinch together.

deadlifts are self explanatory, its lifting a barbell. your legs are not locked in this case, bend them freely and extend upwards fully.

close grip cable rows is using the pully that is located infront of you with a small 2 pronged handle. your feet are planted infront of you, legs bent, and continue a rowing motion (really similar to olympic rowing posture) again focus on pinching your shoulder blades together.

i tried my best to explain them, i dont blame you for getting confused, i tried surfing for pics but i couldnt find any :dunno:

ooookay, i know all those then, thanks man :thumbsup:

r7
02-14-2005, 01:48 AM
back is my favorite workout went like this today

deads 135x5, 225x3, 315x1, 405x1, 455x1, 470x1
bb rows 225x8 225x8, 245x6 (change your grip, wide, etc.)
seated rows 250x10 2x300x10 (300 was the highest it went, bah)
lat pull downs light 2xsomethingx10
shrugs 2x150x15

tried some chins @ the end... couldn't do many... lol

I train for power/strength.. so depends on what your goals are.

deadlifts are the best exercise i have ever done for stength and growth. They work sooo many muscles. lower back, middle back, traps, rear delts get hit, bi's get used, glutes, hams, quads... tons
!!

great for core strength.. when i started deadlifting ALL my other lifts went up

digi355
02-14-2005, 02:55 PM
if your just starting be carful. You can really fuck your self up if you go even a little to hard. start light, like 30 pounds light, see how it feels and move up from there. nothing worse than blowing your back