PDA

View Full Version : Info on CAPPA

buddha
02-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Does anyone have any info on CAPPA? I am interested in taking the course at SAIT, but I was wondering is there any jobs? What is the pay? For 1st year? For 2nd year? Is this course worth it? Do real accountants look down on CAPPAS?

Shaolin
02-14-2005, 01:31 AM
look up production accountant.

abyss
02-14-2005, 10:14 AM
I am currently enrolled in CAPPA (correspondence), I'm starting my second semester now. Yes, regular accountants look down on us, but they also look down on eachother, CAPPA is not "real" accounting as far as they're concerned, as soon as you come to terms with that, you'll be fine. It's too specified to be considered with regular accounting. I hope there will be lots of jobs, I've been told it's a pretty big market. It's been fairly easy for me so far and I will be excited to finish to see which company I can get on with. You can PM me if you'd like, I'll give you as much info as I know.

Shaolin
02-14-2005, 11:55 AM
i got a buddy that finished his cappa.. makes 60Gs a year doing production accounting.. there's a shortage of them right now that they're gettin the JVs to help out.. so yeah, there will be jobs out there for you.

I'm thinkin about doing it after I get my accounting designation.

abyss
02-14-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
i got a buddy that finished his cappa.. makes 60Gs a year doing production accounting.. there's a shortage of them right now that they're gettin the JVs to help out.. so yeah, there will be jobs out there for you.

I'm thinkin about doing it after I get my accounting designation.

Where does your buddy work, I'd be interested to see what options are available for me in a year. :D

Shaolin
02-14-2005, 12:21 PM
He just left Apache.. I don't remember who he's working for right now though.

abyss
02-14-2005, 12:24 PM
thanks!

silvercivicsir
02-15-2005, 04:17 PM
I hear it's not that easy to get into a oil company being a PA unless you know somebody, or unless your parents work there [gotta love that napatism]!

They want you to have experience but they aren't usually willing to hire a person to give them that experience. [ i guess when your dealing with that kind of money they don't want just anybody]

From what I"ve heard even if you take the cappa classes [which are a Joke] your going to have a hard time getting a Job since you will be against Students with Accounting degrees.

But good luck with it.

abyss
02-15-2005, 06:14 PM
I don't know about that....I've checked a couple websites and some jobs prefer CAPPA. I was lucky in that I am already involved in the accounting process in my company and while it may not be oil and gas, that plus CAPPA should guarantee me at least a decent job within an oil company, and there's always the option to go on to become a CMA or otherwise.

Shaolin
02-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Production Accounting prefers CAPPA, because that's what it's for. My buddy Ryan isn't done with his Accounting degree yet.. He got into JV because his parents and relatives were in the industry, did it for a couple of years, did his CAPPA, got in with Apache. He did his time there, went across the street because they weren't paying him enough and now he's makin around 60k. Network yourself, I can't emphasize how important that is. You'll beat people to jobs if you can network yourself.

abyss
02-16-2005, 09:06 AM
thank you very much for the tip! :D I will try and see what I can do.

celica girl
03-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
I hear it's not that easy to get into a oil company being a PA unless you know somebody, or unless your parents work there [gotta love that napatism]!

They want you to have experience but they aren't usually willing to hire a person to give them that experience. [ i guess when your dealing with that kind of money they don't want just anybody]

From what I"ve heard even if you take the cappa classes [which are a Joke] your going to have a hard time getting a Job since you will be against Students with Accounting degrees.

But good luck with it.

100% Correct. I have been doing production accouting since 2001. I know a lot of people who have taken CAPPA and have not been able to get jobs. My advice. If you really want to be a PA get in with an oil company at any level you can (doing data entry or something like that). Build a good relationship with them and have them pay for you to take CAPPA.