PDA

View Full Version : disobeying sign

lorenzo
02-14-2005, 10:12 PM
okay, i was waiting on a red light on the far left lane. it was a triple left turn to 9th avenue ( Gulf Canada Centre ) i always wait till the light turns green cuz you CAN'T turn left on a red, but this time i didnt wait and just made the turn.

i got pulled over by a cop a block away and issued me a $172 dollar ticket . does anybody know if im gonna get demerit points for this offense!? if i am, how many points will it be?

and is there any way i can extend my payment?! im hella broke and im supposed to pay by the 11th of March. mannn the guy didnt give me a full month. lol.
thanks guys

NickGT
02-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Click Here (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70789&highlight=traffic+fines)

This might help you man - it looks like 3 demerits

lorenzo
02-14-2005, 10:18 PM
:cry: 3 demerits...damn. i guess im gonna have to take an S endorsment class...

lorenzo
02-14-2005, 10:38 PM
is there any way that i will just pay the ticket but not get the demerits?! i guess i have to go see the judge and beg.lol :nut:

D. Dub
02-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Yikes!!!!

I sort of kind of assumed that it was possibly only semi-illegal to make those lefts downtown. :dunno:

Perhaps I'd best stop doing that now!!!!

lorenzo
02-14-2005, 10:52 PM
that's what i thought too...i guess i proved me wrong! lol

DuPont
02-14-2005, 11:12 PM
3 demerits... thats shitty bro.

I hate that intersection. The retards in the inside turn-lane always end up in the middle of 9th, and looking at you like YOU did something wrong.

lorenzo
02-14-2005, 11:22 PM
it does suck. now im just wondering how to get rid of the demerit points.i dont mind paying the fine, i just dont want the demerit points. does anybody know or any suggestion they could give me. any help would be appreciated.

i work as a part time bus driver :D and as much as possible i kinda want my record as clean as possible. i already have 2 to begin with, i just dont want another 3 added up...

Help!

DuPont
02-14-2005, 11:45 PM
I don't know about a "Failure to obey traffic control device" citation, but my last 2 speeding tickets would have been 4 or 5 demerits. If it weren't for these guys:http://www.atrafficticketdefense.com/ I'd be paying through the hoop to drive. Came away with no demerits, but payed about twice as much. Might be worth a call. :dunno:

Idratherbsidewayz
02-14-2005, 11:47 PM
Just go to the crown and talk to him. I have my court date for the exact same ticket tomorrow. Ive talked to them before, tell them you don't mind paying you just don't want demerits. If you're lucky, maybe you'll be ok.

lorenzo
02-14-2005, 11:52 PM
i'll give them a call, thanx!

?????
02-15-2005, 09:33 AM
I assume you were on center st.? I think you would of been safe if you were on a one-way far left lane turning onto another one-way unless otherwise posted. But goodluck!

lorenzo
02-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by ?????
I assume you were on center st.? I think you would of been safe if you were on a one-way far left lane turning onto another one-way unless otherwise posted. But goodluck!

you know what. i just looked at the map and it wasnt infront of the tower, cuz that would have been center st.
I actually turned left from barclay st sw which is a one way onto 9th ave. which is also a one way st. nonetheless i still was'nt allowed to make a left turn on a red. i still think the inner lane should be allowed. oh well...

?????
02-15-2005, 10:18 AM
I always thought that you could turn left from a one-way to a one-way if your in the inner lane (far left) just like a normal right turn on red. But only after a full stop. UNless they have a sign no turns on red or something. I guess they changed the laws recently? :dunno:

bspot
02-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Are you sure it wasn't 3rd St infront of Gulf Canada Square?

It IS legal, except they happen to have no left turn on red signs at that intersection.

Last time I got pulled over I asked the cop about double turns on the red and he confirmed they are legal.

lorenzo
02-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by bspot
Are you sure it wasn't 3rd St infront of Gulf Canada Square?

It IS legal, except they happen to have no left turn on red signs at that intersection.

Last time I got pulled over I asked the cop about double turns on the red and he confirmed they are legal.

yah i think so...3rd st (barclay street. thats exactly where i was making the turn from. and i was in the inner lane. if they are legal like you said. then how come this is happening to me?!:cry: lol btw when were you pulled over!? must have been a long time ago, theyve always had the no turning on red since i cant remember.

Zero102
02-15-2005, 11:07 AM
^^^ He said there is a no left turn on red sign there.

I always thought turns from a one-way to a one-way, in an explicit turn lane were legal on red lights, and now this thread has me wondering if they really are.
I'll check my driver's book at home I guess.

Lo)2enz0
02-15-2005, 11:09 AM
I knew this was illegal. My friend was telling me to do it and he pissed me off so bad that I did it before but I didn’t get pulled over for it. Ahh crap happens. And props on the sign in name…… lo)2enz0 = lorenzo

Kaos
02-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Alot of ppl make turns there on red.
There is a sign clearly posted up by the traffic lights stating that there are no turns on red.

I guess you were making a turn at the wrong time.
Good luck!!:thumbsup:

chris
02-17-2005, 02:26 AM
im pretty sure you can turn left onto a one way street when the light is red, unless otherwise posted

LUDELVR
02-17-2005, 03:05 AM
Yes it is legal to turn left on a red light, provided that:
1. It is from a one way to a one way
2. There are no "no turn on red light" signs.

If cars can make a left turn from your right, then yes , you're pretty much fucked. But if not, then you should be good to go.

Xtrema
02-17-2005, 07:21 AM
Crown usually don't give breaks to people who run red. Better talk to points.

Moonracer
02-17-2005, 10:09 AM
I'll post just to confirm what has been stated. As an ex driving instructor I can tell you that it certainly is legal to turn left on red one way to one way. And that is from any of the designated turning lanes. You don't have to be in the inside lane to be able to turn on red. As long as it has a turn sign in that lane then you can go on red. On a comical note though, don't forget to look first! :D

I believe the reason why there is a no left turn sign at 3st and 9ave. is because there is a small hill just before 3st so you can't see very well there. Often there is some bonehead bombing down 9ave. doing 70 coming up on 3st. and to have people turning on red there = bad news.

D. Dub
02-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer
I'll post just to confirm what has been stated. As an ex driving instructor I can tell you that it certainly is legal to turn left on red one way to one way. And that is from any of the designated turning lanes. You don't have to be in the inside lane to be able to turn on red. As long as it has a turn sign in that lane then you can go on red. On a comical note though, don't forget to look first! :D

I believe the reason why there is a no left turn sign at 3st and 9ave. is because there is a small hill just before 3st so you can't see very well there. Often there is some bonehead bombing down 9ave. doing 70 coming up on 3st. and to have people turning on red there = bad news.

thx for the clarification:thumbsup:

lorenzo
02-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Crown usually don't give breaks to people who run red. Better talk to points.

well i didnt exactly run the red or else the charges would have been worst ---> "Fail to stop at a red light - $287.00 - 3 Demerits"
but mine was only "fail to obey the traffic" which has the exact amount of demerits but lesser fine. it is somewhat running the red.
its pretty fukked up cuz b4 i would just do a rolling stop and then go, but this time i completely stop before i made the turn. i guess it could have been worst if i havent stop at all...
has anyone else got the exact same ticket and got the demerit points waived off by talking to the crown?!?! like i said before, i dont mind paying for the fine, as long as i get the demerits taken away!
thanks guys

asp integra
02-17-2005, 06:58 PM
im pretty sure u can turn, if its 1 way onto 1 way then u should fight it, cause i remember durring driving training i was told u can turn on a left if its red but only if its 1way to 1 way

lorenzo
02-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
im pretty sure u can turn, if its 1 way onto 1 way then u should fight it, cause i remember durring driving training i was told u can turn on a left if its red but only if its 1way to 1 way

yah only this time it's actually posted NO turn on red...

2.0turbo
02-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Does nobody know the rules? You CAN turn left from a one way street from the inside lane ONTO another one way on a red light unless otherwise posted. Just like you CAN turn right from the inside lane on a red. All this" I think you can" is kind of scary. If your driving, you should know the rules. I mean you do it every day.

Edit: I shouldn't say nobody knows the rules, but some of you should brush up.

Moonracer
02-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo
Does nobody know the rules? You CAN turn left from a one way street from the inside lane ONTO another one way on a red light unless otherwise posted. Just like you CAN turn right from the inside lane on a red. All this" I think you can" is kind of scary. If your driving, you should know the rules. I mean you do it every day.

Edit: I shouldn't say nobody knows the rules, but some of you should brush up.

Here's a brush up for you...lol Like I posted above, you can turn from ANY of the designated turn lanes and not just the inside lane!

Supa Dexta
02-19-2005, 08:10 PM
I've honestly not seen it before I came to calgary and I've drove across this entire country 3 times now... But I'm not claiming to know the laws, I've just not seen it.... But then again you guy's have a lot of one ways downtown and 10x more weirdo drivers around town to boot...

:)

asp integra
02-19-2005, 11:04 PM
well if its posted then u obiosly cant do it, but if its not posted then all the power too ya!

lorenzo
02-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by lorenzo
okay, i was waiting on a red light on the far left lane. it was a triple left turn to 9th avenue ( Gulf Canada Centre ) i always wait till the light turns green cuz you CAN'T turn left on a red, but this time i didnt wait and just made the turn.

i got pulled over by a cop a block away and issued me a $172 dollar ticket . does anybody know if im gonna get demerit points for this offense!? if i am, how many points will it be?

and is there any way i can extend my payment?! im hella broke and im supposed to pay by the 11th of March. mannn the guy didnt give me a full month. lol.
thanks guys

lol...this thread is going in the wrong direction...thanx guys for all the comment and suggeestions...:thumbsup:
i know i was NOt supposed to turn on the red...
like what i wrote down up top, ^^^ i just wanted to know if anyone knew how many demersit points i'll get. thanx NickGT for the info:thumbsup: and if there was any way i can extend the payment.

im just gonna go see the crown next week, and hope everythings works out...