PDA

View Full Version : Car wash desires

student321
02-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a student at MRC and myself and a few colleagues are doing a business plan for car washes. We're basically taking some older ones and adding different things (still in decision mode) but I was hoping that you could tell me exactly what you guys look for in a car wash that would make you want to visit that specific one. Or, anything you had in mind that car washes should have. Thank you all for your help.

Lorne@UrbanX
02-15-2005, 04:15 PM
I like the ones with Crazy Crazy water pressure. To get all that dirt and grime off the car....
I like the on on 10th and 10th. Or the one in Thorncliff.
It reallys sucks when you want to wash your car and you hold the pressure gun and there is NO pressure........

And the one that are more roomier.. I hate the ones that have really small bays...

Lorne

sputnik
02-15-2005, 04:16 PM
for me its all about water pressure... everything else is just fluff

QuasarCav
02-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Have a timer so that I can plan my washing strategy. I hate it when you run out about 15 sec before you are done.

I also like the shorter nozzle so i can move it around the car better. CRAZY waterflow is a definate plus.

Ben
02-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Lorne@STRD
I like the ones with Crazy Crazy water pressure. To get all that dirt and grime off the car....
I like the on on 10th and 10th. Or the one in Thorncliff.
It reallys sucks when you want to wash your car and you hold the pressure gun and there is NO pressure........

And the one that are more roomier.. I hate the ones that have really small bays...

Lorne

I agree...that one on 10th and 10th has some good pressure.

The most powerful one I've found is the one beside South Center Fine Cars on McLeod Trail. MaD PoW3r!

The Car Wash at Douglasdale is decent too.

Delta
02-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Yeah, if they had a big timer on the wall so u could see how much time u have left that would be sick.

A790
02-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Water pressure, timer, wheel scrubber. I love the one on Glenmore leaving calgary in the NE. You pay once you're finished, lots of space.

Also, windows would be nice so you could see the car in natural light while you are washing it.

GTS Jeff
02-15-2005, 05:12 PM
in the winter, warmth is a must for carwashes, as well as being able to take as long as u want in the stall without feeling pressured to move along by other people.

Gspotracer
02-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Open 24hrs, I like to wash my car when ever I want

also heated but well ventilated so that it doesn't get all humid and foggy inside, I hate it when you get condensation on the inside of your car just from opening the door:thumbsdow

streetarab
02-15-2005, 05:25 PM
good light or natural light, most car washes (at night) are very dim at best and that sucks, a wheel scrubber, high pr3ssur3, big timer, machines that will give coinage back that dont suck balls, if you could make them heated, that would help the drying process a bit

menace3
02-15-2005, 05:55 PM
have u guys tried the one on heritage and fairmount drive its pretty decent too. good water pressure and you have a lot of room

G
02-16-2005, 10:29 AM
I like Mile Wide Car Wash on 17th SW. I don't like 10th and 10th because of the way they designed the bays. I really hate it when I'm the first car and the second car behind me is done way before me and sits in his car giving me the evil eye. Or vice versa when I'm done and the car ahead sprays all his shit on my clean car.

GT2NV
02-16-2005, 03:11 PM
brushes that dont swirl the shit outta your paint:banghead: :guns: :guns: and if there is a foam brush alot of foam has to come out... not just in drips..
DONT GO TO SHELL AVENIDA there brushes swirl the hell out of your paint

ondubs
02-17-2005, 04:09 PM
I don't like how the cords attached to the washing tool(scrubbers, pressure washer etc) always slap into your truck, during washing. I like to give my truck a good scrub with the foam brush, which requires two hands, so I can't hold the cord and it slaps against the paint. Someone should make those cords retrackable or holding clips or something to keep them off the paint when you need to use two hands.

I would also agree with the other comments regarding, ample spaced bays, pressure and light. The digital timer is also a great idea.

I use the big bucket in crowfoot and I pretty happy with that for the most part. I like to take my time washing and then dry and quick detail outside. The service is good and the people are friendly. The downside if any, it's normally pretty busy.

nismodrifter
02-17-2005, 04:26 PM
I can't think of any coin car wash place that would put a timer on their washes.....that kind of defeats the whole purpose of running the business...

izzoblitzo
02-17-2005, 04:35 PM
I definately like the idea of having a large timer somewhere so you know how much time you got left.. sometimes, you take your time.. and your just about done, but you run out of time.. so you have to enter another buck just go get off a little bit of soap etc.

Also the design of the bays are important. Some places have the vacums setup right in front of each bay door, and sometimes, the guy is there to just vacum his car, and no car can get in to wash.

GTS Jeff
02-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
I can't think of any coin car wash place that would put a timer on their washes.....that kind of defeats the whole purpose of running the business... most of the newer machines have a timer right on the machine. at first thought, it does seem like a timer would lose u business, but if u tihnk about it, it would probably help u gain business. heres an exercise:

would u, as a customer, rather go to a carwash that has timers or not, all other things being equal?

pshhhh...im guessing u arent a business man :D :D :D

futurecivic
02-17-2005, 04:37 PM
the one down the hill fome mcleod and cant remember the street right by heritage station has a timer.
1. water pressure
2. 24 hours
3. spot free
4. big bays
5. no ramps i hate scrapping going into these car washes flat entrance/ exist

old&slow
02-17-2005, 06:08 PM
One thing I really hate about car washes....you puts in your dollar...then you piss away 20 seconds of it waiting for the line to cycle thru to the rinse or wash or whatever was last in use....Gawd do I hate that fucken bulllshit!!!

Other issues:

LED readout!
Pressure!
Clean bays(not full of mud)
Wands that actually work!!!!
Ramps are bad.

pyro
02-17-2005, 09:24 PM
the one in highriver has a washer when ur entering that sprays up when entering the car wash, so it washes the undercarriage. it would also be nice to set the diffrent pressure types so if ur trying to get mud off u can set it higher then if ur just washing the body

ZorroAMG
02-18-2005, 10:13 AM
All good points except ya'll forgot the COOLEST thing at any car wash that all places should have: Air compressor to dry off the car. Nooks and crannies that leak water way after you've dried it off are a Pain in the ASS!

Oh and notes to 10th and 10th: Get the air compressor and HURRY UP WITH THE DAMN REPAVING. I hate going through the mud filled craters after a nice wash. Splashes shit all up like powerful diarrhea. Do that and you have one of the best self-serve CW's.

FiveFreshFish
02-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Things I find important in no particular order:

- Wide, single wash bays with heat and good lighting. Tandems suck.

- Good partitions between bays to prevent overspray from an adjacent bay.

- Power overhead doors with windows so you can see if it's occupied. Doors that close automatically would be nice too.

- Bill changing machine.

- 24 hr operation.

- Large parking lot for drying and detail in the summer.

- No smoking or idling permitted in wash bays.

- Digital countdown timer.

hockeybronx
02-20-2005, 11:03 PM
The biggest preference I have for carwashes is SINGLE STALLS ONLY!

I definetely like to take a long time washing my car, and I hate it when I'll pull into a spot to start washing then another person will come behind me, quickly wash their vehicle and then sit there and stare you down until you are done.

If you want any advice from me it would be to have single stalls rather than the stupid double long stalls.

69cougar
02-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Things I find important in no particular order:

- Wide, single wash bays with heat and good lighting. Tandems suck.

- Good partitions between bays to prevent overspray from an adjacent bay.

- Power overhead doors with windows so you can see if it's occupied. Doors that close automatically would be nice too.

- Bill changing machine.

- 24 hr operation.

- Large parking lot for drying and detail in the summer.

- No smoking or idling permitted in wash bays.

- Digital countdown timer.

:werd:

frozenrice
02-20-2005, 11:38 PM
A carwash with at least one bay that has a carpet/upholstrey cleaner so that I can shampoo my own interior. I'm talking about something like a carpet cleaner that you'd rent from Safeway or something.
10th and 10th sorta had the right idea, but it was more or less a tiny hand held version of the foam brush that you'd wash the outside of your car with.

nismodrifter
02-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

pshhhh...im guessing u arent a business man :D :D :D

ripping off the customer as much as possible is business isn't it? :D ehhehehe

you guys should see the carwash in saskatoon, its mad pimp. Its one big building with one entrance and one exit. You drive in and there are like 5 kind of stalls on each side. Each stall is crazy wide and are seperated from each other. No coins used, you put money onto a card and you can use it till it runs out of money and then "recharge" it. The charge is 50cents per minute, which means I can wash my car and make it all SPOTLESS in $2. Building is heated, SUPER clean (floors are coated and they have employees, who wear uniforms, keeping the place clean). They have air nozzels and all that shit. Very professional operation, I was impressed at first sight and thats the only place I go to wash my car, the guy knows how to run a business.

That is the ONLY thing that I like about that shit hole of a town haha :D

Hash_man
02-21-2005, 01:59 AM
HOT WATER!!! ... I dont know why no one has mentioned this yet, but especially in our climate, the warmer the water it, the better it cleans the car I find.,

I also like the idea of something that will spray the bottom of your car when you drive in.

One thing I really hate about car washes....you puts in your dollar...then you piss away 20 seconds of it waiting for the line to cycle thru to the rinse or wash or whatever was last in use....Gawd do I hate that fucken bulllshit!!!

^^^ Worst thing ever about coin washes. :guns:

benyl
02-21-2005, 02:10 AM
You all forgot one.

don't recycle the water.

I know the one on 17th does it. With mad pressure, you are practically sand blasting your paint.

hockeybronx
02-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by benyl
You all forgot one.

don't recycle the water.

I know the one on 17th does it. With mad pressure, you are practically sand blasting your paint.

Hahaha:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

At first I laughed, then I sat back and said "those rat bastards!"

Bones21
02-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Definitely the worst for me is the waiting for the cycle to finish. Especially when you only have like 2 or 3 bucks to wash your car. I swear it's all a scam to get more cash outta you. Oh and never go to the carwash in shawnessy on the road behind Winners. I swear the guy turns down the amount of time you have on each dollar over the winter......bastard:banghead:

nismodrifter
02-28-2005, 01:18 AM
shawnessy one is a bastard carwash, never go there. That car wash also has a DEADLY exit, down hill slope that ices up and there is a fence/concrete wall 3 meters away. Seen so many cars slide into that thing. If you need a coin wash and you're in that area then go to Gas King over in Midnapore

buh_buh
02-28-2005, 01:33 AM
I didnt bother going through the entire thread cuz it was too long but I'll list things I like:

1) 24 hours
2) heated
3) good lighting
4) good water pressure
5) timer (i think Nismo was saying there isnt one, but the one near Heritage LRT has one)
6) Single car bays
7) walls that avoid overspray from other bays

I've boycotted 10th and 10th cuz I've gotten yelled at numerous times for drying my car inside the bay when there isn't even a lineup outside. 14th St. Mohawk is where its at!:thumbsup:

max_boost
02-28-2005, 02:26 AM
I'm lazy, I just go to the touchless car washes now :D

max_boost
02-28-2005, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I didnt bother going through the entire thread cuz it was too long but I'll list things I like:

1) 24 hours
2) heated
3) good lighting
4) good water pressure
5) timer (i think Nismo was saying there isnt one, but the one near Heritage LRT has one)
6) Single car bays
7) walls that avoid overspray from other bays

I've boycotted 10th and 10th cuz I've gotten yelled at numerous times for drying my car inside the bay when there isn't even a lineup outside. 14th St. Mohawk is where its at!:thumbsup:

The Mohawk one is nice to use. Speaking of 10th and 10th, didn't Kenny get in crap for using his wash mit while there was $ in the timer? Now that's stupid. :rofl: :nut: :dunno:

Everytime I am at 10th and 10th, I feel like the workers are spying on me or something:dunno: Like I have to wash my car a certain way or else they will bitch.:guns:

pixil9
02-28-2005, 03:26 AM
what is wrong with big bucket?

liztic
02-28-2005, 06:08 PM
we've just got some new ones here in kingston with timer and such, but biggest bonus is you can use credit/debit cards in the bays....it's actually cheaper too