PDA

View Full Version : Your GPA

WWJAI
02-15-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm currently enrolled in my first year of post secondary and am currently not doing so well regarding marks and I was just wondering does your GPA matter when getting a workterm job/position or a job in the future?

Weapon_R
02-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Some employers ask for your GPA, but most don't.

btw - hang in there. The first and second years are the toughest. After that, it becomes a normal part of life, and your grades will improve.

WWJAI
02-15-2005, 06:35 PM
my first sem i only got a 2.2 and am really struggling. I want it at least over a 3.0 so just kind of scared about a GPA for the future.

lint
02-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI
I'm currently enrolled in my first year of post secondary and am currently not doing so well regarding marks and I was just wondering does your GPA matter when getting a workterm job/position or a job in the future?

Depends on what you're going to want to do. For internships/co-op, your marks will matter. Most companies don't seem to care much, but if you want to pursue a professional program (med, law) then that will matter, as well as post graduate studies. And although most programs also look at the GPA for the last 20 courses, some will look at all, and others will look at the last 20, but consider your overall as well.

WWJAI
02-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by lint

Depends on what you're going to want to do. For internships/co-op, your marks will matter. Most companies don't seem to care much, but if you want to pursue a professional program (med, law) then that will matter, as well as post graduate studies. And although most programs also look at the GPA for the last 20 courses, some will look at all, and others will look at the last 20, but consider your overall as well.

I'm doing accounting.

lint
02-15-2005, 06:38 PM

I'm doing accounting.

You're going to want to bring that GPA up. You need a high GPA to get into the BComm program, and from there, if you want to get into a CA firm, they're going to look at your GPA too.

Chim
02-15-2005, 06:39 PM

I'm doing accounting.

A good GPA would help you get some summer accounting jobs, which leads to getting into a CA firm, which leads to getting your CA earlier if that's what you're going for....

Weapon_R
02-15-2005, 06:42 PM
If you are in the U of C, you'll need a 3.5 to get into accounting. Personally, if you were capable of doing that well, you'd be wasting your time in management. Go into engineering :)

WWJAI
02-15-2005, 06:47 PM
I always thought so but I'm not getting into BComm Program. I'm just aiming to get the applied degree and after that I am possibly looking for a designation as a CA. I'm taking the accounting at Mt.Royal.

WWJAI
02-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Also got another question. I'm not actually in the program right now. Just taking General Arts and Science but I'm taking all the accounting courses required right now so will my GPA only matter on my course marks while I am in the program or will it matter on the accounting courses I took while I was in General as well?

GTS Jeff
02-15-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm currently enrolled in my first year of post secondary and am currently not doing so well regarding marks and I was just wondering does your GPA matter when getting a workterm job/position or a job in the future? i think u should stop worrying about that and instead worry about how to improve your gpa.

in my experience, theres only one way of getting better marks and thats studying shit until u know it inside out. the problem is that its easier said than done, so u just gota sit the fuck down one day, and just do it. then keep doing it everyday until u see some good marks.

Godfuader
02-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Also got another question. I'm not actually in the program right now. Just taking General Arts and Science but I'm taking all the accounting courses required right now so will my GPA only matter on my course marks while I am in the program or will it matter on the accounting courses I took while I was in General as well?

I was in the same situation till about 2 weeks ago. For program admission they will look at your 8 recent courses and determine a 'competitive' GPA. If you are over 2.0 you are good to apply and it would be highly reccommended that you do it during the priority application period (ended Jan. 31). You can still apply for secondary application which means if there is space in the program then they might let you in.

Your college GPA is cumalative with every single credit course you have done at MRC. At the end they do look at the most recent courses (maybe 20?) and give u another 'competetive' GPA. Good luck with the accounting program. The profs are great! :thumbsup: Go and talk to a Business Department advisor (I believe its Wayne Irvine) and they will help you get into your program faster and also will advise you on what courses in semester should help your GPA. Good luck

-Fuad

WWJAI
02-16-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

I was in the same situation till about 2 weeks ago. For program admission they will look at your 8 recent courses and determine a 'competitive' GPA. If you are over 2.0 you are good to apply and it would be highly reccommended that you do it during the priority application period (ended Jan. 31). You can still apply for secondary application which means if there is space in the program then they might let you in.

Your college GPA is cumalative with every single credit course you have done at MRC. At the end they do look at the most recent courses (maybe 20?) and give u another 'competetive' GPA. Good luck with the accounting program. The profs are great! :thumbsup: Go and talk to a Business Department advisor (I believe its Wayne Irvine) and they will help you get into your program faster and also will advise you on what courses in semester should help your GPA. Good luck

-Fuad

Yes I've already applied during the priority application period. Alright, then I guess I better sit my ass down and be a fuckin geek and stop being so lazy.

Godfuader
02-16-2005, 01:17 AM

Yes I've already applied during the priority application period. Alright, then I guess I better sit my ass down and be a fuckin geek and stop being so lazy.

Im goin into my 3rd and final year of class room studies and im still a lazy ass. Accounting is all about the basics....once u got that, the rest is common sense.

-Fuad

camby
02-16-2005, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Some employers ask for your GPA, but most don't.

btw - hang in there. The first and second years are the toughest. After that, it becomes a normal part of life, and your grades will improve.

Sadly, that is not true... GPA gets your foot in the door. Most employers look for people with GPAs between 3.3 - 3.7. If you have no experience, the GPA is very important.

I'm in my 3rd year and I must say, there is much more work in 3rd year than 1st and 2nd combined.

t-im
02-16-2005, 01:58 AM
I'm with Weapon_R on this...GPA can be an important factor, but many companies don't base everything on it.

Experience plays a much more important factor in finding a job these days - along with how you do on the interview (Some people just don't do well in interviews).

If you've proven to be knowledgable and have some good experience down on your resume, the importance of your GPA fadesss away....to a certain extent, of course :)

Basically, having a stellar GPA doesn't mean shit if you don't have the experience to prove that you're "adaptable" to real-world work environments.

First year is rough for some people who don't adjust themselves to the way University is (in comparison to HS) - But I think after that, you realize University isn't a joke and get your ass in gear.

Weapon_R
02-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by camby

Sadly, that is not true... GPA gets your foot in the door. Most employers look for people with GPAs between 3.3 - 3.7. If you have no experience, the GPA is very important.

I'm in my 3rd year and I must say, there is much more work in 3rd year than 1st and 2nd combined.

If you say so...

I'm guessing that those with 3.2s and below are wasting their time then huh?

Speed_69
02-16-2005, 09:40 AM
so let's say you take a course and get a 2.5gpa. then you retake the course and get a 3.5 the second time. do they just then take the 3.5 and calculate that one into your cumulative or do they take both?

ZorroAMG
02-16-2005, 10:00 AM
My first semester at UofC was a 1.89, I was fantastic at pool, mind you LOL. By the time I graduated, my overall GPA was 3.37(haha l3.37). You can do it too, it's not that hard.

WWJAI
02-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
My first semester at UofC was a 1.89, I was fantastic at pool, mind you LOL. By the time I graduated, my overall GPA was 3.37(haha l3.37). You can do it too, it's not that hard.

That is inspiring to hear. During your period did you work at all? or did you just concentrate on school?

zain123
02-16-2005, 10:19 AM
acct major in sait (2nd sem) - 2.85
i failed finance first.. but redid the final n passed :clap:
n i work atleast 25-30 horus a week
jus hang in there n try to divide time for everythin it helps..!

WWJAI
02-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by zain123
acct major in sait (2nd sem) - 2.85
i failed finance first.. but redid the final n passed :clap:
n i work atleast 25-30 horus a week
jus hang in there n try to divide time for everythin it helps..!

I have a friend thats in her first year Acct at sait and dropped out of finance last semester..haha....but the thing is....arn't SAIT courses much easier compared to mrc and U courses?

t-im
02-16-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Speed_69
so let's say you take a course and get a 2.5gpa. then you retake the course and get a 3.5 the second time. do they just then take the 3.5 and calculate that one into your cumulative or do they take both?

Why would you redo a course? Unless you flat out F'd it (c- and below) then I wouldn't redo it.

Shaolin
02-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Yes, they don't take the average of the 2.. they just take your highest one.

I know some who've re-taken courses if it's a pre-req for future designations. So if they didn't get high enough they do it again so they can get the pre-req.

Singel
02-16-2005, 11:07 AM

Well damn, I guess I better start slacking or I won't get hired with my 4.0 :D

Mckenzie
02-16-2005, 12:15 PM
I think people have to realize that GPA is a very good indication of your work ethic....those of you wanting the top end jobs will most likely have to get top grades. Many of the postings in the Haskayne career office for the top consulting, accounting, finance, etc jobs ask for "top quartile only" or "deans list only" students. It is an easy way for them to reduce the number of potential applicants in a flash. I see the students in Haskayne with mediocre GPAs ....they do not work very hard and do not take school seriously. Someone with top quartile grades (3.6 and above) takes their shit seriously...that is something that not every average joe can pull off. So why would you want someone who just barely squeeks by and who does not take school seriously working for you? I am not saying it is going to get you the job but it is a very good indication of your work ethic and dedication.

Now there are many jobs out there where they dont look at grades....however they may not be as prestigious as you would like...starting at lower pay, smaller companies, etc.

My .02 from my experience

ZorroAMG
02-16-2005, 01:11 PM

That is inspiring to hear. During your period did you work at all? or did you just concentrate on school?

I never worked during school (just summers) but looking back with the amount of free time I made to party and still rack in great grades, I don't think you'd be SOL if you work right now, just party less :)

GTS Jeff
02-16-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm in my 3rd year and I must say, there is much more work in 3rd year than 1st and 2nd combined. no shit, but the first couple years are still the hardest because it takes some time to get used to studying.

BumpinTalon
02-16-2005, 04:35 PM

I have a friend thats in her first year Acct at sait and dropped out of finance last semester..haha....but the thing is....arn't SAIT courses much easier compared to mrc and U courses?

SAIT is a cakewalk... I pulled off a 3.1 last semester and I studied maybe an hour and left all of my big projects to the day before they were due to do them. this next semester is proving to be almost as easy, I'm at a 3.5 currently./

camby
02-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
no shit, but the first couple years are still the hardest because it takes some time to get used to studying.

I guess its different for everyone.

In my experience, the people with GPA's above 3.5 get all the interviews for internship first. When all those people have accepted jobs, the people with GPAs above 2.7 seem to get the next set of jobs and then the ones above 2.0 get the rest. There are cases where companies hire straight up on GPA. Positions for internship in Europe only look at GPA and make offers based entirely on that to students. Of course, GPA only gets your foot in the door. I know some people who have above 3.8 and still don't have jobs.

high GPA -> more interviews -> more chance for offers ?

ntv1980
02-21-2005, 01:09 AM
High GPA, believe it or not, IS USELESS in real life in term of getting work, unless you have exceptional high GPA and you go for doctorial, post-doctorial degree.

It's not WHAT YOU KNOW
It's WHO KNOWS YOU (YOU KNOW)

girlRACER
02-21-2005, 01:42 AM
Speaking of GPA...what is the recommended GPA range when one should include their GPA in their resume? Some people say 3.0+ but others say 3.4+?

Originally posted by ntv1980
... unless you have exceptional high GPA and you go for doctorial, post-doctorial degree.

What do you mean by "post-doctorial degree." :confused: You can't get any degree high than a PhD unless you're talking about MD which you don't need a PhD to get into. :dunno: I think you mean post-graduate, masters, doctoral?

Dope Dealer
02-21-2005, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER
Speaking of GPA...what is the recommended GPA range when one should include their GPA in their resume? Some people say 3.0+ but others say 3.4+?

Anything above 1.7 :D

Actually anything above 3.0 is recommended.

Speed_69
02-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by ntv1980
High GPA, believe it or not, IS USELESS in real life in term of getting work, unless you have exceptional high GPA and you go for doctorial, post-doctorial degree.

It's not WHAT YOU KNOW
It's WHO KNOWS YOU (YOU KNOW)
:werd: !!

it's all about who you know, if you had a crappy gpa and you knew the people hiring..they would hire you still even over someone with a high gpa.

and gpa is not an indication of your work ethic. some people like working but hate school(like myself). i'm a very cooperative & on task worker. i show up everyday on time, never miss a day, and accomplish all of my tasks BUT i'm crappy at school. some people just try harder in the workplace rather then school

t-im
02-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

:werd: !!

it's all about who you know, if you had a crappy gpa and you knew the people hiring..they would hire you still even over someone with a high gpa.

and gpa is not an indication of your work ethic. some people like working but hate school(like myself). i'm a very cooperative & on task worker. i show up everyday on time, never miss a day, and accomplish all of my tasks BUT i'm crappy at school. some people just try harder in the workplace rather then school

word..

can we say nepotism?? A few companites totally follow that - ie TCPL