PDA

View Full Version : Rear-ender: Repair and advice?

Phy
02-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Alright, so yesterday I was backing out of my parking stall at work, had to turn right around this big pickup blocking my view to the right. As I come around, I spot this guy coming at me from about 15-20 feet away, I've got just barely enough time to slam on the brakes and stop. A second (or maybe a bit less) later, he hits my rear bumper on the right side - it's nice and shattered around the impact, and a bit of my frame and bodywork just under my taillight is pushed in. It's not crumpled, just... curved in some. Otherwise she's drivable.

Anyway, first thing: I don't have collision, and his insurance company's falling back on "if you were backing out it's your fault". Which is bogus, there was no reasonable way for me to know the guy was coming, but anyway. Unless I can sweet-talk 'em, I'm gonna be stuck with the repairs to my 200SX. Any strategies y'all can suggest?

Second: I went and got an estimate from Horton Autobody, cos they did decent work on my Probe when it got broken into. Comes to $1700, which puts a big dent in my plans for the summer. I've already got the police sticker. Is there anywhere in town that's good and cheap? (I figure I can install the bumper and honeycomb myself, if I can buy 'em from Body Shop Supplies.) So all I'd really need is them to tug the rear panel into position, bang down the trunk floor, and repaint everything. And Horton wants to tug out the frame a bit, too. Any suggestions?

heavyD
02-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Ha Ha. Good & cheap autobody work. You are lucky if you can find good & expensive in this day and age where most shops just wash your car and spray on a new coat with zero prep.:thumbsdow

Speed_69
02-16-2005, 02:44 PM
technically it is your fault if you get in an accident while backing out of the lot unless the other driver is like speeding or something. you should be backing up more slowly to watch out for oncoming cars but yea i understand that you couldn't see because there was a big pickup in your way.

and as for your repairs, i say go to that autobody shop again.
i don't really think good and cheap go together.

3G
02-16-2005, 02:54 PM
ur best bet is to take it to a backyard bodyman

vietdood
02-16-2005, 03:32 PM
if you want things done right, you're going to have to pay for it. there's no point in doing a half ass cheap job only to have to get it redone later down the road. make sure they power buff and polish your car blends in with the new paint job.

i get good and cheap body work only because my uncle's a supervisor at an autobody. i pay 1/2 to 2/3 of what other people have to pay.

Zero102
02-16-2005, 05:28 PM
What is the other guy's story?
Does he admit you were stopped when he hit you?
Parking lot accidents rarely end in a pay-out by the other insurance company, especially not for the person who is backing out, but it's always worth a shot.

Phy
02-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Well, that's kind of what I expected. Alright, any recommended body shops? Not cheap, but good? Figure I might as well get a couple more estimates before I do any repairs.

Didn't get the other guy's story, but even if I did how do I know that's the version he's gonna give to his insurance agent?:dunno: It's all bs anyway. I'll try pushing for a 50-50 split. I'm already looking at full liability so what, really, do I have to lose?

Zero102
02-17-2005, 03:08 PM
What I meant is, what does his insurance company say his story is?

Speed_69
02-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Phy
Well, that's kind of what I expected. Alright, any recommended body shops? Not cheap, but good? Figure I might as well get a couple more estimates before I do any repairs.

Didn't get the other guy's story, but even if I did how do I know that's the version he's gonna give to his insurance agent?:dunno: It's all bs anyway. I'll try pushing for a 50-50 split. I'm already looking at full liability so what, really, do I have to lose?

doesn't the police report tell it all?

Phy
02-17-2005, 03:53 PM
So far I haven't heard his version, either from my insurance, or the police, or him. Sorry if I sound clueless, this is the first time I've been through this procedure.