PDA

View Full Version : Ephedra most dangerous dietary supplement

gggunit
02-18-2005, 02:34 PM
This maybe old news .. but just a heads up for all of you who are thinking or are taking this stuff. Check out the llinks below

Over 800 injuries have been reported by users and doctors to the FDA and various state medical bodies, including more than 50 deaths. Most of these cases involve the heart attacks or high blood pressure leading to bleeding in the brain or stroke.

----
$4.1 Million Verdict Against Nutrition Store for Selling Ephedra
--
Death of Major League Baseball Player Casts Shadow on Ephedra
death of Steve Bechler on February 17, 2003
---
Ephedra-free Does Not Be Assumed to Mean Safe
-----

Links

http://www.ephedrine-news.com/

http://www.ephedrine-ephedra.com/pages/ephedrine_side_effects.html

7thgenvic
02-18-2005, 04:47 PM
mehhh everything is dangerous these days! i don't take large amounts of the stuff but damn it sure helps you out when you need a good workout!

Def_3
02-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
mehhh everything is dangerous these days! i don't take large amounts of the stuff but damn it sure helps you out when you need a good workout! :werd:

gggunit
02-18-2005, 05:10 PM
I think no amount is worth it.. whats the point of bodybuilding when you aint gonna have a body to build.

davidI
02-18-2005, 05:22 PM
The reason so many people died from using it is because it was marketed as a fat loss drug. So these fat fuckers with weak hearts downed a bottle of it and it killed them. That said, there are also a couple cases of athletes who were hurt or killed because of using it. Why can't people just burn fat the old fashioned way?

1badPT
02-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Yeah I would consider it myself if it was just fat fuckers dropping dead from the use of it, but when people who are in the prime of their health are suffering effects and dying from it, its just not worth the risk IMO.

SUPRAPHAT
02-18-2005, 06:03 PM
You guys need to do your research.

Most of the shit that is said about Ephedrine and Ephedra is just crap.

Yes fat fockers have died due to weak hearts but the athletes died due to taking these suckers excessively and having long vigorous workouts.

Conventional use of the the drugs in a normal, healthy human being is fine. Ask your doctor if you don't beleive me.

Jason

1badPT
02-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Hey do your own research and arrive at your own conclusion. If you feel its safe, great for you, but IMO its not worth the risk and you haven't posted anything to convince me otherwise.

davidI
02-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by SUPRAPHAT
You guys need to do your research.

Most of the shit that is said about Ephedrine and Ephedra is just crap.

Yes fat fockers have died due to weak hearts but the athletes died due to taking these suckers excessively and having long vigorous workouts.

Conventional use of the the drugs in a normal, healthy human being is fine. Ask your doctor if you don't beleive me.

Jason

Actually, I did my own research on it. As did the FDA. I can see its use in cutting for bodybuilding competitions and making weight for wrestling, boxing etc. but that's about it. I can't see anything else requiring the use of ephedra for dropping the weight.

^SkylinE^
02-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Caffeine and ephedine combo may increase your risk of hypertension, sever peripheral vasoconstriction, cadiovascular and CNS stimulatory effects.

Ephedrine stimulates smooth muscle alpha-adrenergic receptors (sympathomimetic)

Serious reactions to the drug are cardiac arrhythmias.

Commom reactions include insomia, nervousness, dizziness, palpitaions, tachycardia, and urinary retention.

I hate to say it but before any of you start taking any type of drug you need to look into it, sometimes the short term affects do out weight the long term affects. What ever happend to eating right and getting big the old way of just working hard.

hockeybronx
02-18-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by davidI
So these fat fuckers with weak hearts downed a bottle of it and it killed them. Why can't people just burn fat the old fashioned way?

:werd:
I agree with flailing hands to that!

Stop following these miracle products and do what has always made you healthy: exercise, eat well, drink water, sleep.

Wildcat
02-19-2005, 12:41 AM
id like to find out how much these ppl are taking and just what kind of shape they are in or if they have a family history of heart problems etc.

eph's are pretty potent tho, i was taking 3 of the legal 8mg tabs (26mg) 3 times a day just to loose weight. over time it stopped effecting me so i can see why ppl take more and more and abuse it.

one time at work i got a 3 ephs off a guy i worked with. and i was bouncing off the walls, like i didnt sleep a wink that night. then i asked him about them the next day and he said they were 25mg each! whoops :rofl:

JeremyD
02-19-2005, 01:24 AM
From what I remember reading about that baseball player was he took an excessive amount of it, was slightly overweight, I think they were training in Vegas or someplace like that with 100+ degree (f) weather and didn't drink enough water. The ephedra was a small factor in his death.

Tyler883
02-19-2005, 01:58 AM
I find that conventional use of any drug/supplement works well to empty my pockets.

If I have extra coin, I would make damn sure that I'm eating good healthy foods.

IMO. paying someone a few hundred bucks a month to brown bag healthy meals for me, would be a much better idea than trying to get results from a plastic pill bottle while eating poorly every other meal.

Tyler883
02-19-2005, 02:00 AM
Why is it that we like to put our trust in $30 bottles full of promises, but we refuse to pay that extra dollar for a healthy convenience food?

ecstasy_civic
02-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
id like to find out how much these ppl are taking and just what kind of shape they are in or if they have a family history of heart problems etc.

eph's are pretty potent tho, i was taking 3 of the legal 8mg tabs (26mg) 3 times a day just to loose weight. over time it stopped effecting me so i can see why ppl take more and more and abuse it.

one time at work i got a 3 ephs off a guy i worked with. and i was bouncing off the walls, like i didnt sleep a wink that night. then i asked him about them the next day and he said they were 25mg each! whoops :rofl:

It was that stuff, the old 25mg's that were killing people, anyone who was taking it decided they "needed more" so they would down 3-4 a day 5 days a week.

Well, its not rocket science that if you take to much of that stuff its going to affect the way your body deals with it.

If you take it properly, a few days on a few days off etc.... with the average doses it will not kill you.

I know guys who have been on and off it for yrs and who are very serious atheletes and have had 0 side affects from it other then lack of sleep:zzz:
Im a strong believer in it, ive used it for the past yr and ive had no problems, but I can follow direction;)

my .02

spike98
02-21-2005, 04:02 AM
ephedra was used as a decongestant (sp?) in the early and late 90's. No body died from it then? It kills because its abused. Same with EVERYTHING else.

RiceCube
02-21-2005, 10:43 AM

gggunit
02-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
Why is it that we like to put our trust in $30 bottles full of promises, but we refuse to pay that extra dollar for a healthy convenience food?

Everyone has there own opinion .. but why even risk your health or even think about risking it

Arisilde
02-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Well how many people have died from Sudafed? It usually has 30-60mg of Pseudoephedrine HCL. And some people take 2 at a time 3 times a day, no deaths there and way more than 8m6 in one of those caps.

gggunit
02-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Arisilde
Well how many people have died from Sudafed? It usually has 30-60mg of Pseudoephedrine HCL. And some people take 2 at a time 3 times a day, no deaths there and way more than 8m6 in one of those caps.

how many people take Sudafed every day?

Arisilde
02-22-2005, 07:15 PM
With 30-60mg per cap and up to 6 a day, man, you don't need to take 6 a day to ramp your heart up to a fatal point. Say someones sick for 2 weeks and takes Sudafed everyday, 6 a dayx14 days. That's 84 tabs, and at a bare minimum amount of 30mg's your taking in 2520mg of Ephedrine. A bodybuilder running 24mg 3 times a day would take over a month to get that much ephedrine into his system. And a bodybuilder in decent shape can handle that, but what about a sick overweight person taking that much in 2 weeks?

Any chance of injury if ephedrine is so bad? Uh, yes, alot of chance.

SUPRAPHAT
02-22-2005, 07:33 PM
If you read on the bottle, it'll say that if after 5-7 days, the symptoms have not subsided, go see your doctor. If your sick for two weeks takin that shit then you have serious issues.

Anyways, I use Ephedrine and Caffeine as a stack for cutting while working out, I did the research, I talked to a couple doctors as well as my boss and co-workers who are physical therapists and I have no doubt in my mind that this stack will ever adversly effect me.

The only time you should really not take this drug is if you have heart issues, bad cardiovascular health, high BP and if you plan on taking more than 80mg a day.

Please talk to your doctor before you try any drug.

Jason

vcteggy
04-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by gggunit

how many people take Sudafed every day?

a lot of hockey players take 4-5 sudafeds before every game and practice, I tried it for a couple games, doesn't really help that much.