PDA

View Full Version : UofC Grad Lounge Food/Service Complaint

nambis
02-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Has anyone been to the grad lounge at the UofC?

The waitresses at the Lounge are either poorly trained or unwilling to do their job properly. On my most recent visit, I was being served by a younger waitress with a Spanish accent. She chose to first serve people who arrived after me, even though she knew I had been there first, because I had asked for an ashtray. Then I watched my food sitting on the window for ten minutes, while the waitress stood behind the bar playing with the Christmas lights. Overall the service was extremely slow and generally unpleasant, even though the Lounge was not busy. While I was there, I noticed some other patrons having to chase after the waitress to inform her that they had been waiting for service. I have seen this waitress working for several years at the Grad Lounge, so it’s not like she’s just learning the ropes.

I had been served by other waitresses who were equally slow and rather unfriendly (they hardly ever smile, they never ask how the food is, and they always slam down the plate in front of me).

I would like to come more often to the Grad Lounge, but the service always makes me reconsider. It seems as if the management is unaware of this problem, and that a culture of laziness has developed among the servers. I realize that it’s only the Grad Lounge, and I am not demanding world-class service, but I would like the staff to at least be polite to me.

Furthermore, I am consistently disappointed in the food quality. The ingredients used are the cheapest quality available. It tastes like mass-distribution cafeteria food. No effort is taken to incorporate more interesting and creative ingredients into the dishes. One may argue that this keeps the cost down, however, I have eaten at many restaurants around town which serve much better food for the same price. I don’t mind paying more to enjoy, for example, a really good burger instead of something that tastes like Chef Boyardee meat and is served on a boring white bun that’s way too big for the patty.

AcuraTl
02-20-2005, 12:35 PM
go and complain to the management, those of us who have worked in the food service/service industry know that, that is the most effective way to get a message conveyed.

nambis
02-20-2005, 12:35 PM
By the way, if anyone else wants to complain about how shitty the food is you can do it online here: http://www.fp.ucalgary.ca/GSA/feedback.htm

t-im
02-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Well, either way this wil change - aren't they contracting out food services now?

nambis
02-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Yea, they are contracting out university food services but the grad lounge is under different management (ie GSA) and won't be affected by the change :cry:

girlRACER
02-21-2005, 01:28 AM
:( I'm a huge fan of the grad lounge. I agree that the service isn't great and that it isn't exactly fast but as a student I'm used to poor service on campus and that my business is taken for granted. I'm just happy that they have $3.18 Kokanees, serve Tiger beer, have relatively cheap food and aren't as packed and smokey as the Den. There's an older gentlemen working there (grey hair and kinda plump) and he's pretty nice. You should try getting a table in his area next time you go (if they even have their own areas).