PDA

View Full Version : Amp/Subs not working, frost on amp.

iblizzard
02-20-2005, 03:32 PM
So last night I was driving up to Denny's. My car was cold but since it's a very short drive (less than 5 minutes) I didn't bother to let it warm up at all.. But I did have my subs on. My car, naturally had a bit of condensation forming on the windows. I first drove my car this morning and noticed that my subs weren't working at all. I got out and checked the amp and it was on, but there was a bit of frost on the outside of it... I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with it not working.

Could I have just blown a fuse perhaps?... and if I have, would the power light on the amp still come on? (I'm talking about the fuse on the amp, not the fuse on the power cable). I didn't pull the fuse out to check it, but I'm wondering if that might be the problem. If not, what else might it be? Could condensation have ruined the amp? I've been using this amp through two winters now and haven't had any problem like this before...

Any thoughts?

SteveMo600
02-20-2005, 03:38 PM
I highly doubt that the condensation did that damage. I would check the subs on a different amp to make sure they're working. If they don't work on another amp then you know forsure that the subs a screwed. Then test a different sub with the amp that's in your car right now to see if the problem is the amp. Then you can see if it's the amp or the sub that isn't working. If both work, then it's your connection...There's a place to start.

Harryc8786
02-20-2005, 08:39 PM
I would be careful! I had an american bass amp I got for free. My uncle does shipping and it was held up @ customs for some reason. That could have somehting to do with it. Any wya last winter I was driving and noticed my bass died out. I pulled into my buddies driveway and popped the trunk. There was like a frost build up on the amp. All of a sudden it melted away, and smoke poured out. I killed the power and checked it out later. The inside there was some circuitry that caught fire. Just glad I wasn't driving. Man that thing wouldn't stop smoking. Well anyway just giving ya my bad experiance with free stuff. Hopefully there was some really wrong problem and that won't happen to you

DoubleLP
02-21-2005, 05:29 PM
It might be that the amp is temperature sensative. I found that my PG amps do the same thing....when they are cold they do not put the subs on because the amp needs time to warm up.

You can always just take the amp out of the car.......take it inside the house....let it dry.....and put it back out in the car and see if it works again. If not.....start thinking warranty.

iblizzard
02-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by DoubleLP
It might be that the amp is temperature sensative. I found that my PG amps do the same thing....when they are cold they do not put the subs on because the amp needs time to warm up.

You can always just take the amp out of the car.......take it inside the house....let it dry.....and put it back out in the car and see if it works again. If not.....start thinking warranty.

I doubt it's that, since I've run this amp through two winters now.. and it's worked right off the bat at -30... I turned it off immediately, but it was working..

And if it is broken, I've already had it for 4 years now I think... so warranty is out of the question.
If it's broken, I'll either see if I can pick up another cheap amp somewhere, or I'll just sell my subs.

tommy1223
02-22-2005, 03:08 AM
happened to me once, it was so cold the subs just didnt work when i turned on the car. then the next day it worked again. weird:dunno: