PDA

View Full Version : Air Ionizers

xDiMSuMx
02-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Do these things work? they're supposed to put a negative charge on the ions or something?

I smoke and the car stinks, i heard it's good for clearing out the smoke smell

Has anyone used this before?
Different brand i should look for?

hockeybronx
02-20-2005, 10:41 PM
I would think the best way for your car to stop smelling like smoke would be to stop friggin smoking!:dunno:

You might get better responses if this thread was in the "Car Care And Detailing" section, but rather than buying things that will get rid of the smell why don't you quit smoking in your car or quit smoking completely?

Khyron
02-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Unless they have a fan, Consumer Reports found they did nothing.

The only thing I've heard of to get rid of smoke from cars is a bunch of old newspapers in the back seat. I guess they absorb the smell?

Hold/blow the smoke out a cracked window so it doesn't get in the headliner. I smoked in my car for over a year before I quit, and non-smokers cannot tell anymore.

Khyron

lint
02-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Scientifically speaking, if you put a negative charge on something, there's gotta be a positive charge somewhere else. And you can't just send out negative charged particles out, it upsets the balance of nature.

These things don't work. But the marketing makes them seem credible.

xDiMSuMx
02-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
I would think the best way for your car to stop smelling like smoke would be to stop friggin smoking!:dunno:

You might get better responses if this thread was in the "Car Care And Detailing" section, but rather than buying things that will get rid of the smell why don't you quit smoking in your car or quit smoking completely?

i'm trying, not that easy to just quit

xDiMSuMx
02-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by lint
Scientifically speaking, if you put a negative charge on something, there's gotta be a positive charge somewhere else. And you can't just send out negative charged particles out, it upsets the balance of nature.

These things don't work. But the marketing makes them seem credible.

i've read some reviews about larger ionizers for homes
people say it helps their allergies and clears out cigar smoke really well

are these people just imagining things?

xDiMSuMx
02-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Unless they have a fan, Consumer Reports found they did nothing.

The only thing I've heard of to get rid of smoke from cars is a bunch of old newspapers in the back seat. I guess they absorb the smell?

Hold/blow the smoke out a cracked window so it doesn't get in the headliner. I smoked in my car for over a year before I quit, and non-smokers cannot tell anymore.

Khyron

i do crack the window open and blow out of there
the sunroof used to help the smell alot but it's broken right now
guess i'll try the newspapers

hockeybronx
02-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by xDiMSuMx

i'm trying, not that easy to just quit

I hear you man, I wasn't trying to sound like a jackass. Best of luck with the quitting, until then perhaps just smoke before or after driving.

FiveFreshFish
02-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Smoke immediately before or after you drive to keep the interior cleaner. Trips within the city don't take much more than an hour, max - surely you can refrain for an hour. :dunno:

lint
02-21-2005, 01:03 AM

From what I've seen, these ionizers always incorporate a regular air filtration system as well. You can take it for what it's worth, but if those do work, it's not by the process that they describe. You cannot have a bunch of negative ions floating around in your car or your room sucking up cigar smoke particles. First off, the static created would be crazy IF you could get charge separation on that level. Secondly, well if it smells like snake oil, it probably is. Depends on if you want to spend the $$$ to try it out.

Khyron
02-21-2005, 01:38 AM

CR tested the Ionic Breeze and a bunch of others, in room with X ammount of particles. Made 0 difference. So then the Breeze people said that's not fair, it takes longer to work. So counter to everything, CR went back and tested it for the long period that IB said - still negligable differences.

The only way it might be effective at all is if it was at some point that circulates the air, like the cold air return or something.

Hepa filters are bloody expensive for a reason - they're pretty much the only game in town.

Khyron