PDA

View Full Version : is NOS cheating? whats your opinion

nosoup4u
12-23-2002, 04:36 PM
and why?

GTS Jeff
12-23-2002, 04:40 PM
nope, i dont see it as cheating...though i would probably use a more permanent mod on my own car...

jdmakkord
12-23-2002, 04:45 PM
imo If it were cheating, they wouldn't allow it in hardcore drag racing. It is just another performance upgrade.

Dope Dealer
12-23-2002, 04:56 PM
Are you thinking of adding NOS to the Supra?

Ben
12-23-2002, 04:57 PM
nah, its not cheating...if its the only thing you have done to the car its a bit on the lame side, but if you have alot of other mods and you throw that on top, then thats great, go nuts!

nosoup4u
12-23-2002, 05:10 PM
Yeah, i want to add a 2 stage NO2 into the car.
an intercooler shot and a direct port 100hp wet system

I am going to try for the 9's this coming year, full weight street car.

Dope Dealer
12-23-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by nosoup4u

:drool:

That would be something to see!

Good luck with this, can't wait to see this beast once it's all done! :thumbsup:

cocoabrova
12-23-2002, 05:18 PM
NAWZZZZZZZZZZ is :bigpimp: I'd install on my car but I've heard too many horror stories as opposed to good stories, for the B-series:dunno:

Lo)2enz0
12-23-2002, 05:26 PM
Ya, I will be a race city junky in the spring so i will look for a supra hitting 9's. But i don't think its cheating as long as your not shooting into a stock engine.

Lo)2enz0
12-23-2002, 05:29 PM
hey cocoabrova,

did you see the story and pictures of the guy who has NOS and the bottle over heated and it blew up in his garage. The whole truncl was trashed and I believe he blew up his garage door.

Laurier

nosoup4u
12-23-2002, 05:44 PM
Actually I am shooting into a stock motor.
I made 703rwhp (26psi)on the same stock motor.
and a 11.1 @ 129 with 22psi(560rwhp) alll acompolished on the same stock motor with 70000km.

James
12-23-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Benny
nah, its not cheating...if its the only thing you have done to the car its a bit on the lame side, but if you have alot of other mods and you throw that on top, then thats great, go nuts!

:werd:

Thats gonna be impressive, good luck! :thumbsup:

dj_honda
12-23-2002, 05:58 PM
if you are going over 800hp, i heard you should upgrade even the 2jZ internals... but then again i don't own a supra and wouldn't know its capabilities first hand.

i think there are more reliable ways to make the same amount of power, but they usually cost more, so people always tend to say nitrous is cheating.

since its allowed in drag racing, i don't think it's cheating, but i wouldnt put it on a car i owned, just because there are more reliable ways of making power and going faster

treg50
12-23-2002, 06:31 PM
If anything, its just cheese, but it's not cheating. If at a race both racers say they'll race NOS-free but one guys goes ahead and uses his NOS then that's just cheese and dishonourable. Sure, there are no rules "set in stone" but it's up to the racer if he wants to be honourable or not, and take a cheese-win in that way.

If both say, "You got NOS, I got it too. Let's go", then that sounds pretty cool to me. Also, if a guy without NOS says to a guy with NOS, "I'll take you on NOS-boy", then the guy with NOS can take him on with his honour intact.
:burnout:

turboMiata
12-23-2002, 06:46 PM
The coolest thing about Nawz is the purge valve. I'd get Nawz just so I could pull up next to a big V8, rev my engine and purge!

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

HOK
12-23-2002, 06:59 PM
not if your drag racing... hehe

KoukiS14
12-23-2002, 07:07 PM
For what you are trying to accomplish.

9Sec street car.

I don't think its cheating. More power to ya.:thumbsup:

90_Shelby
12-23-2002, 07:25 PM
I think you should worry about getting your car down the track with full boost before you pour the juice to it.;)

Get your car (suspension) setup better for the track before you put more power to it as I think you will be fighting with it a lot to get a full pass in.

On another note the dyno session is on me if you hit 900 to the ground:nut: :thumbsup:

I heard your putting your car in the World of Wheels, should we get Dean to put his in too, a car length behind:D

46,000 downloads on Racing Flix.com:eek: :hitit:

eur0
12-23-2002, 07:41 PM
if your looking for a fair race on the street, i think its cheating, especially if the other guy hasnt done any mods and you spend all this cash to build up your motor and you lose, i dunno it may just be me but i think its dumb

jdmakkord
12-23-2002, 08:11 PM
uh we are talking about a 700+ hp supra here that runs low 11's. With slicks and a new clutch....it should break 10's(crosses fingers!) The nitrous will be wicked to get rid of that lag eh mau???

Redlyne_mr2
12-23-2002, 09:57 PM
Mau if having a little bit of n20 is what you need to get yourself into the 9's then go for it. It seems apparent that you dont want to open up that engine just yet and you seem to have the supporting mods to handle the nitrous so go and hook a bottle up. Im not a fan of nitrous on n/a cars with minimal mods, I see that as cheating but you have come a long way already so thats completely different. Im sure you know of the expenses coming your way once you enter the tens and ultimately the nines so this years mods will probably be the ones that allow you to pass tech inspection. Good luck man I look forward to seeing the supra in action next summer.

mrmattyk
12-23-2002, 10:00 PM

Wet is dangerous, GET DRY!

Who cares about the extra power, it's dangerous

90_Shelby
12-23-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by mrmattyk

:nut: :rolleyes: :banghead: :nut: :rolleyes:

Redlyne_mr2
12-23-2002, 10:04 PM

otherway around dude

mrmattyk
12-23-2002, 10:07 PM
Are you serious?
Well my friend told me that wet is more dangerous when we were watching F&F. He said that the Eclipse had a wet system so it failed, because 'while wet causes more power than dry, it's highly unstable'.

Thanks Redlyne_mr2 for setting me straight on the subject.

jdmakkord
12-23-2002, 10:20 PM
wet makes big horsepower. This isn't a honda 1.8L motor here!

90_Shelby
12-23-2002, 10:26 PM
Movies aren't real.

turboMiata
12-24-2002, 12:08 AM
Are you serious?
Well my friend told me that wet is more dangerous when we were watching F&F. He said that the Eclipse had a wet system so it failed, because 'while wet causes more power than dry, it's highly unstable'.

Thanks Redlyne_mr2 for setting me straight on the subject.

Nope. This is how it shakes out:

DRY - NOS only, no fuel :thumbsdow
WET - NOS + fuel (single fogger/injector) :thumbsup:
DIRECT PORT - Same as WET but the NOS/fule mixture is injected into each intake runner separately :clap:

Joe Malms
12-24-2002, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
Movies aren't real.

true
however, it wasnt even the movie that misinformed him..it was his friend that told him that "wet systems are highly unstable"
lol
i swear..the negative outcomes from fast and furious will last a lifetime.

oh, btw..mau, you've gone insane haha

mrmattyk
12-24-2002, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Joe Malms

true
however, unfortuneately it was his friend that told him that "wet systems are highly unstable"
lol

oh, btw..mau, you've gone insane haha

Ya he also told me he could make a 10 second car for 8 grand :rofl:
and tonnes of stuff this board has proved false

girlRACER
12-24-2002, 04:16 AM
Well I raced with my friend at Secret Street at Race City who has NOS in his Del Sol. At first, his NOS didn't kick in properly and I won by at least a second. But the second time the NOS did work and he managed to pull ahead of my car by .02 seconds. It's AMAZING how much difference NOS makes. He's a cool guy and I had lots of fun and I'd definitely race him again. It's all in good fun.

However, I don't think it's cool if you brag about beating someone on NOS alone. Seems kinda unfair :dunno:

Mikko
12-24-2002, 06:39 AM
lol, if it's drag racing, all that matters is that short strip. And even if it wasn't, it doesn't matter.

All that matters is the agreed upon rules before hand. Breaking those is baaad.

drox
12-24-2002, 07:11 AM

Who cares about the extra power, it's dangerous ... Ugh, wet = safer. It has an additional fuel nozzle so you wont lean out..
Originally posted by Joe Malms
i swear..the negative outcomes from fast and furious will last a lifetime. Bleh, wait till #2 comes out *shudders*.

IMO, nitrous is fair game. Is it cheating to put high comp internals in your car? Or to put a gt35/40 turbo? No, so why would nitrous? I give the dude spraying a 100 shot on his stock stang motor as the guy bragging about having a to4 turbo. :dunno: To me, it doesnt matter how you make the power. If its there, good :D

4wheeldrift
12-24-2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
imo If it were cheating, they wouldn't allow it in hardcore drag racing. It is just another performance upgrade. Not wanting to burst your bubble, but in the top performance NHRA classes nitrous isn't allowed. Runnign alcohol or nitromethane makes it pointless anyways :D

Anyhoo, when you're going for ultimate speed I don't think its cheating. When you're putting a 100 shot on your honda just so you can say you can beat a mustang on a otherwise stock motor, that's cheating.

Loose
12-24-2002, 10:03 AM
I don't think it's cheating.

I do however think a direct port system is a bit too complex for a car that can make so much power on turbo alone.

I would run a wet kit, single fogger just ahead of the throttle body. You could run anything from 35hp to 100hp (or so), to increase torque, or top end.

With a direct port, you're gonna get a whole lot of horsepower at once, no matter what jets you have in (since you have 6 sets of jets, you're minimum additional horse power is ~120 I think).

I also think that the intercooler sprayer thing is gay. Add that and you'll need your own heating/refridgeration engineer to manage your NOS system. Too complex!

Enough rambling, merry Christmas dude.

2000impreza
12-25-2002, 11:10 PM
imo nitrous is NOT cheating..... nitrous is good for drag racing because you use it only use it for those few seconds you need it.

i use to run a dry zex kit on my car and didn't have a single problem.... it was reliable too. on a turbo car you want a wet system. 100shot is a decent amount of nitrous so it might be better to go direct port.

73-440-Cuda
12-26-2002, 10:42 PM
thats like saying "are steroids cheating in body building"??? go figure

2000impreza
12-26-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by 73-440-Cuda
thats like saying "are steroids cheating in body building"??? go figure

this is the worse example i've heard of.... you can't relate body building and steroids to nitrous on a vehicle...... IF that WAS the case then any sort of forced induction would be cheating including turbo and supercharger? :confused:

codycr6
12-30-2002, 08:37 AM
"100shot is a decent amount of nitrous so it might be better to go direct port"

I use two stages of single fogger nozzles for a total of 250hp, and have no problems at all. I usually tune down to 200-225 hp on pump gas, 50 hp on the first stage and 150 on the second. Why direct port on only 100 hp ? The turbo is already going to atomize the mixture well from the high CFM rate, and jet changes to alter your fuel/air mixture are MUCH easier with a single fogger.

BLUE95GT
01-01-2003, 12:02 AM
Nitrous cheating...No
Unless it's not allowed in the class your racing in.
I should be spraying 150 maybe some time this summer if all goes well :)

XFT
01-01-2003, 02:10 PM
It's Cheating. Specially For you Ricer-folk.:werd:

SilverRex
01-01-2003, 02:32 PM
NOS? you mean the octane booster ^^

SickBastard
01-01-2003, 03:29 PM
I dont think that its cheating at all. ITs a power adder just like any other performance part.

l/l/rX
01-02-2003, 01:20 AM
sup nosoup4u
i was jes wonderin if you're part of sonIc? i think they make like comp chips for lexus and toyotas. its a local calgary group i belive, but if you would like to check them out if you havent already heard bout them i could give you their site.