PDA

View Full Version : flax oil

smokedog
02-21-2005, 04:08 PM
what are the benefits of flax oil??...i don't have a balanced diet like most of you on this forum..so is using flax oil bad if don't monitor you fat intake??

hockeybronx
02-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Flax Oil is basically a high quality source of what I would call "good fat".

Basically if you throw it in a shake with some fruit, yogurt, juice and protein you will cover many bases in one shake:

-good sources of protein (yogurt and protein powder)
-a bit of carbohydrates (fruit)
-fat (flax oil)

Mckenzie
02-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Cant you just take a good Omega 3 multi-vitamin instead of flax oil?

hockeybronx
02-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

You can take whatever you want, there is no "take this, the ones the right one" secret for nutrition.

Take a vitamin, throw in a teaspoon of flax oil, it's all the same. I find people so often in health/fitness people become so paranoid about what to take and what not to take that they end up wasting all their time contemplating things instead of pumping iron and sleeping.

Tyler883
02-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

Yes, but....

The capsule are sometime only 1g each, if you are planning on 5g(1 tablespoon) at a time to put on salads, the 500ml bottles of oil are way cheaper than the capsules.

jaysas_63
02-22-2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Tyler883

Yes, but....

The capsule are sometime only 1g each, if you are planning on 5g(1 tablespoon) at a time to put on salads, the 500ml bottles of oil are way cheaper than the capsules.

yea but i personally can't stomach the stuff....i took that shit for like 6 months, and after each table spoon i was gagging like a little girl for a minute, needless to say i switched to two pills a day (2000 mg)......i think it was because i took it striaght, and the texture got to me

Tyler883
02-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

yea but i personally can't stomach the stuff....i took that shit for like 6 months, and after each table spoon i was gagging like a little girl for a minute, needless to say i switched to two pills a day (2000 mg)......i think it was because i took it striaght, and the texture got to me

Thats too bad, have you tried virgin olive oil?
I'm not sure if virgin olive oil has omega 3, but I've heard that it is on the list of good fats.

I've never taken any oil straight from the spoon, so I don't know what that is like.

I take my flax oil in protien shakes. I ussually can't tell that it is there. I've also tried it on salads with a little balsamic vinegar, it was pretty good with the fancy salads that have variety.

TrevorK
02-22-2005, 10:39 AM

Typically you will retain more of the substance when it is consumed as a liquid as opposed to pill form....

jaysas_63
02-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883

Thats too bad, have you tried virgin olive oil?
I'm not sure if virgin olive oil has omega 3, but I've heard that it is on the list of good fats.

I've never taken any oil straight from the spoon, so I don't know what that is like.

I take my flax oil in protien shakes. I ussually can't tell that it is there. I've also tried it on salads with a little balsamic vinegar, it was pretty good with the fancy salads that have variety.

yea i tried mixing it with fruit yogurt, and putting it on salads, but by that time i had already associated the taste of the flaxseed oil, with the texture, and hence the gagging, so when i put the oil on foods, it just became a more cumbersome task of eating the whole thing rather than just getting it over with in one shot......

treverk k ur right, by injesting the oil ur getting more of the omega 3's, but with the two pills a day i'm getting around 2000mg, which is enough considering other foods i eat are also high in omega 3's

jaysas_63
02-22-2005, 01:30 PM
sry about the dbl post (mouse is fucked up, it dbl clicks everything)

TrevorK
02-22-2005, 02:57 PM
treverk k ur right, by injesting the oil ur getting more of the omega 3's, but with the two pills a day i'm getting around 2000mg, which is enough considering other foods i eat are also high in omega 3's

The problem with this is that you need all the EFA's - Omega 3/6/9 in an appropriate ratio.

Just having a shitload of Omega 3 isn't the ideal situation - you need 6 and 9 too...

jaysas_63
02-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by TrevorK

The problem with this is that you need all the EFA's - Omega 3/6/9 in an appropriate ratio.

Just having a shitload of Omega 3 isn't the ideal situation - you need 6 and 9 too...

wow sorry man, i'm wrong....the pills i'm takin are a net weight of 1000mg (of flax seed oil) each......they contain 450 mg of omega 3

RiceCube
02-22-2005, 05:12 PM
so regular olive oil works good?

hockeybronx
02-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by RiceCube
so regular olive oil works good?

I'd say it is, there's not going to be an imperative difference between any of these oils.