PDA

View Full Version : Booze that is best for you?

colinderksen
02-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Or should I say what type of hard liqour is the least harmfull on your body? Im guessing regular beer and rye/whiskey would be bad ones. What about Vodka and so on?

Thanks

ryder_23
02-21-2005, 06:27 PM
Vodka is the one liquor that gives you the least hang over. Whiskey is the worst.

Not sure what your going for, but that might help. I dont really remember the list, i know vodka was 10 (least), beer was (7), rum was (4), whiskey was (1).

Thats just the drink less likly to more likly to give you a hangover.

colinderksen
02-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Ok thanks. I am also talking about which one is the worst for making you fat with calories/carbs and so on. And which one is opposite of that

teknical
02-21-2005, 06:34 PM
beer would probably since you gotta drink alot more to get drunk, with hard liquor, you can just make stronger drinks. As for which liquors are worse, I"m not to sure. I drink a 2/6 of rye or rum a weekend and so far no signs of a gut coming :D

habsfan
02-21-2005, 07:00 PM
i believe beer is the worst for gettin fat actually. unless you're drinking low carb piss beer, theres TON of carbs in beer, and gets your stomach huge in no time. why do you think they call it a "beer belly"

RiceCube
02-21-2005, 07:06 PM
ya best stick to water mixed with ground barely

teknical
02-21-2005, 07:09 PM
lol thats one tasty drink. If you want something good with no hangover, go for a Vodka, Cranberry and Water. You can drink alot, and no hangover. Plus a shot of vodka a day keeps the doctor away.

hockeybronx
02-21-2005, 07:17 PM
With absolutely everything, it's all about moderation.

If you go out a couple times a week for a beer with your buddies, it's not really going to have a huge negative impact on you. If you go out getting crunk every weekend then you are packing a lot of carbs into your body.

The biggest negative concern about alcohol for me is that it's a diuretic in that it takes water out of your muscles and puts it into your blood stream. Make sure to at least equal if not exceed your water consumption with your alcohol consumption.

Wildcat
02-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by habsfan
i believe beer is the worst for gettin fat actually. unless you're drinking low carb piss beer, theres TON of carbs in beer, and gets your stomach huge in no time. why do you think they call it a "beer belly"

myth.

1badPT
02-21-2005, 08:45 PM
I like red wine - lots of anti-oxidants, and it tastes good. Fucks ya up too :D

r7
02-21-2005, 09:05 PM
something hard and diet

jack and diet

Tyler883
02-21-2005, 09:27 PM
my best advice is pick something really shitty then don't drink too much of it.

jaysas_63
02-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

myth.

actually its not a myth, beer is very bad for u (calorie wise), becuase when your body digests, and metabolizes beer it turns it into sugar, lots of sugar, which later turns into fat if u don't burn the energy....its due to the high "glycemic index" of beer

Wildcat
02-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

actually its not a myth, beer is very bad for u (calorie wise), becuase when your body digests, and metabolizes beer it turns it into sugar, lots of sugar, which later turns into fat if u don't burn the energy....its due to the high "glycemic index" of beer

um no. find me a reputable link that directly correlates beer with waist size. the "beer belly" is a product of an unhealthy lack of exercise, nothing more.

1badPT
02-22-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't know what to say about beer, but having made it from scratch several times, I will say that its basically a sugar/water mixture that's partially fermented. When you make beer you're usually aiming for between 4-6% alchohol, the rest of the sugar is still in the solution unfermented. If you were to take flat beer and pour it you'd find its almost like syrup because of the amount of sugar in it. With that said though, it might not be such a bad thing if you want a big hit of calories however if you're watching carbs, I don't think beer would be a good choice. I don't know if its different for store bought beers :dunno:

hockeybronx
02-22-2005, 03:25 PM

um no. find me a reputable link that directly correlates beer with waist size. the "beer belly" is a product of an unhealthy lack of exercise, nothing more.

:werd:

The correct association is that beer has a high amount of carbs, which raises your body fat percentage, and most people carry the majority of they're fat in their stomachs.

It would just as appropriate to call it chip-belly, fast food-belly, or pop-belly.

jaysas_63
02-22-2005, 03:58 PM

where did i talk about the beer belly....i was commenting on the fact that beer is not healthy in that it will increase ur body fat levels, if u don't burn off the energy

and if u want evidence that beer does relate to high sugar levels, then i'll be more than happy to get some artcilces from my uni's med databases.....

Originally posted by hockeybronx

:werd:

The correct association is that beer has a high amount of carbs, which raises your body fat percentage, and most people carry the majority of they're fat in their stomachs.

It would just as appropriate to call it chip-belly, fast food-belly, or pop-belly.

thats exactly what i was saying, hight carbs = high body fat levels (if u don't burn the carbs)

jaysas_63
02-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
I don't know what to say about beer, but having made it from scratch several times, I will say that its basically a sugar/water mixture that's partially fermented. When you make beer you're usually aiming for between 4-6% alchohol, the rest of the sugar is still in the solution unfermented. If you were to take flat beer and pour it you'd find its almost like syrup because of the amount of sugar in it. With that said though, it might not be such a bad thing if you want a big hit of calories however if you're watching carbs, I don't think beer would be a good choice. I don't know if its different for store bought beers :dunno:

no man ur absolutley right.....almost all teh carbs ur body digests from beer, are in the form of sugars

on a side note...how did the beer come out??

1badPT
02-22-2005, 04:53 PM
My first batch was horrible lol It could make a stray dog gag :rofl:

The second batch turned out good, and my last batch was perfect. I use kits but I don't follow the instructions to the letter anymore.

hussein
02-22-2005, 06:12 PM
i used to go and party 3 days a week, and train 3 days a week. i noticed that i wasnt showing any improvements. obviously, anything i gained would be lost by sunday if i hit it thursday, friday, and saturday.

i did this for a month, now i have decided not to drink and party as much anymore, saturday was my last night. hopefully i see some good gains!

on the other hand, before I would go out at night, i would try to do some cardio or weight training to help balance out what i would do at night.

or you can do it in moderation, but i would rather not just do it at all.

Wildcat
02-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by habsfan

myth.

where did i talk about the beer belly....i was commenting on the fact that beer is not healthy in that it will increase ur body fat levels, if u don't burn off the energy

check out this weeks issue of muscular development, theres about 12 pages clearing up rumors and myths, anything from roids to diet to training. theres a half page article on the "beer belly"

Boosted_TL
02-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Hey Wildcat,

From keeping up to date with the Health and Fitness post's I can see that you are a very knowledgeble guy in the fitness industry. I am stumped on this one if you wouldnt mind helping me out ?

I am finished my bulking session over the past few months and now its time to cut, I want to lower my calorie intake / daily but I need to find out how much calories I burn daily to know what not to exceed, IE : If I burn roughly 2500, then I will strive for 2200 to shed some fat. Know what I mean ? is it true that you just times your body weight by 10 to get a rough idea ? Or is that bull ? let me know if you got any ideas !

Or if anyone else has an idea, shoot me an idea !

I would PM this but for some reason i cant, I cant even start a new thread ? Has Beyonds format changed in the past few months ? I havent been on very much to notice.

Some posts I try to view click on the page but it only shows the bottom part of the thread where the smiley faces quick relpy areas is...anyone else know whats up ?

Thanks for your help

Warren

hockeybronx
02-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL
Hey Wildcat,

From keeping up to date with the Health and Fitness post's I can see that you are a very knowledgeble guy in the fitness industry. I am stumped on this one if you wouldnt mind helping me out ?

I am finished my bulking session over the past few months and now its time to cut, I want to lower my calorie intake / daily but I need to find out how much calories I burn daily to know what not to exceed, IE : If I burn roughly 2500, then I will strive for 2200 to shed some fat. Know what I mean ? is it true that you just times your body weight by 10 to get a rough idea ? Or is that bull ? let me know if you got any ideas !

I would PM this but for some reason i cant, I cant even start a new thread ? Has Beyonds format changed in the past few months ? I havent been on very much to notice.

Some posts I try to view click on the page but it only shows the bottom part of the thread where the smiley faces quick relpy areas is...anyone else know whats up ?

Thanks for your help

Warren

If you are cutting or toning, rather than focusing solely on a number (calorie count) I would suggest that you focus on "from what foods am I getting what I need".

There are many simple things you can do to begin to see the results you want such as increasing your daily water intake, and simple activities as walking daily.

There are many foods that are so helpful for what we need in our bodies. Foods such as tuna, chicken breasts, rice, and lean beef are excellent sources of protein, with very low carb counts.

If I were you I'd take a protein shake in the morning eat 6 meals a day making sure you are getting proper amounts of fruit and vegetables, drink plenty of water, and keep working hard in the gym.

You will see the results you want eventually.

Wildcat
02-22-2005, 10:09 PM
^ya what he said, just eat healthy and the results will come. counting calories is a pain in the ass, everyone has a good idea as whats good for them, so just eat responsible. counting calories/ journalizing is more unecessary work for you, giving you more reason not to follow through with your goals, which is why most ppl quit. if you implement a natural healthy lifestyle into your day to day activities gradually your goals will become second nature to you.

Boosted_TL
02-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys,

In regards to what you advised...I do all of the above....sometimes I think over due...

I have a total of 5-6 litres of water ( easily ) / day....I have a can of Tuna everyday....Rice and Chicken, Salmon all that good stuff... I steam all my food and dont " usually " use sauces.

I am at the gym 5 days per week with 30 min cardio each day.

I do live a healthy lifestyle, cutting / watching calories is one of the most natural ways of losing weight, accompanied by a healthy lifestyle.

I just wanted to see if any of you guys knew how to discipher how many to consume each day without passing your natural amount.

Is the times your weight by 10 rule a load of shiet ?

Boosted_TL
02-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Supplementation is a big part for me also, I use supp's and consume alot of Protein via shake and bars....

Wildcat
02-22-2005, 11:37 PM
ive heard about that rule of 10 thing before, thers not much i can tell you about it tho :dunno: , i just have no idea.

CKY
02-23-2005, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT
I like red wine - lots of anti-oxidants, and it tastes good. Fucks ya up too :D

from what i always hear from people a few sips of wine everyday is actually good for you

~Leah~
02-23-2005, 02:38 AM
Beer is bad because it has way more carbs than hard liquor (all the yeast and stuff) but ALL alcohol has 7 cals/gram (carbs and protein have 4 cals/g and fats have 9 cals/gram) .... So you're basically drinking fat, minus 2 cals/g..... mmmm yummy!!

Boosted_TL
02-23-2005, 08:54 PM
No worries.... thanks Wildcat :thumbsup:

EG STyLeZ
02-23-2005, 10:37 PM
if you're really, really concerned about your health, you should know that beer, whiskey and other malt-brewed drinks contain nitrosamines which may become carcinogenic when digested

smokedog
02-24-2005, 04:21 AM
just dance with the bitches at the club...you'll eventally lose the calories you consumed at the club

smokedog
02-24-2005, 04:21 AM
oh yeah...i foregot crown royal is the best

carstar
02-28-2005, 01:20 PM
If you're drinking hard alcohol it's not just what kind of alcohol you are drinking but what you are mixing with it. All that juice and pop is full of sugar. so you should take that into consideration too.

davidI
02-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL
Hey Wildcat,

Thanks for your help

Warren

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/patsy4b.htm

Use this to check out your approximate calorie intake requirements and initially intake that amount of calories and adjust +- 200 calories to find your optimal intake. After that's done you must continue eating atleast 1 gram / pound of protein, eat low fat...~20% of total daily caloric intake and reduce your carbs as far as you can without going into ketosis. Also try to do 45-1hr of aerobic training 4 or 5 times a week. That's the best way to lose fat while retaining muscle.
You can test for ketosis with Ketostix, which should be available at any pharmacy. You piss on them and they turn purple or something if you have ketone bodies in your blood. So all you do is cut back your carb intake until the strips change color, then you can increase your carb intake a bit and maintain it.

I've never had to cut...but this is what Arnie and most other BBs suggest.

sputnik
02-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Or as I once heard it...

"Many fat people will say that they have a water retention problem, I like to call it a burger, fries and coke retention problem"

Boosted_TL
02-28-2005, 07:01 PM
david1,

Thanks for the info....

I hope that intake measurement in wrong as it is saying my daily is 3400.....Thats a fuckin ton....In the last week I have counted 2200 between 6 meals daily...

Oh well, I will just keep on doing what I am and stick with it. I got a good stack goin on so I will keep you updated as to if its a good one or not, to accompany a good healthy lifestyle.

davidI
02-28-2005, 08:10 PM
My caloric index is 3500 for very active...which is about what I figure it should be. I try to get 5k calories a day to grow...

Boosted_TL
02-28-2005, 08:41 PM
Mine with very active ( which is true ) ! is 4k....I put Moderatly Active cause 4K is too high....haha So in reality I am 4K

So I pretty much eat half the index intake....:rofl:

Oh well, 6ft 240lbs is big enough... I am around 17% BF, 14% would be ideal.... and thats what im goin for.