PDA

View Full Version : Flying from Vancouver to Calgary

three33
02-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey.This coming summer my fiance and I will be travelling to Vancouver Island with her parents. We will be doing the driving thing. Only problem is,is that they are staying out there for 2.5 weeks and neither of us can take that much time of work,they most we can get is 2weeks. Does anyone know the best way for us to get back to Calgary from Vancouver? I know there is Greyhound and plane and train. I have no experience travelling and was wondering if someone could help me out. We are leaving on July 28th and must be back in Calgary by August 10th.I hope someone can help me out on this one.Thanks in advance.

vietdood
02-21-2005, 11:35 PM
check westjet, they have seat sales which only costs about $100 to fly from vancouver to calgary, that's with all the tax and service charges include. i think it's $59 before the tax and services.

t-im
02-22-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by vietdood
check westjet, they have seat sales which only costs about $100 to fly from vancouver to calgary, that's with all the tax and service charges include. i think it's $59 before the tax and services.

the cheapest westjet went for van tickets last summer was 190 including tax and etc.

it was about 48 one way

anyways, tickets that far ahead aren't cheap yet..they usually get cheaper a few weeks inadvance of the date

Weapon_R
02-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Greyhound is the cheapest, plus you get to take in some scenery if you don't mind the drive...

Plus, if you buy one adult ticket and book far enough in advance, you can get a great deal on a second ticket.

FiveFreshFish
02-22-2005, 01:15 AM
I've done Vancouver to Calgary on a Greyhound and it's no picnic because you make lots of stops in between. From Victoria, add on more time for the ferry ride back to the mainland.

Don't beat yourself up by taking the bus because you'll need a day to recover from the journey. Spend a little more to fly and you won't regret it.

16.5 hours vs. 1.25 hours, you pick.

t-im
02-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
I've done Vancouver to Calgary on a Greyhound and it's no picnic because you make lots of stops in between. From Victoria, add on more time for the ferry ride back to the mainland.

Don't beat yourself up by taking the bus because you'll need a day to recover from the journey. Spend a little more to fly and you won't regret it.

16.5 hours vs. 1.25 hours, you pick.

I agree.

busing it is not worth it unless all flights are booked up (happened to a friend of mine).

if you're thinking of busing, you might as well just drive out - you can do it in about 8-9 hours with minimal stops, and you'll have your own car to drive around in (if that's an issue for you)
but either way, just fly out - you'll get to spend the most time on vacation without the hassle of anything

Xtrema
02-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Try busing once and I swear to never do that ever again.

If you have to take it, stay as close to the front of the bus if possible. Least chance of motion sickless.

cityhunter2501
02-22-2005, 08:29 AM
theres no public train that connects Vanc with Calgary?
if there is it will take 3-4 hours

three33
02-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Driving with our vehichle is not an option cause well we don't have a vehichle that would make it out to Vancouver.We are thinking more along the lines of Greyhound as my fiance is not too fond of flying, I know its only a two hour flight but even still don't want to push her.

carzcraz
02-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by three33
Driving with our vehichle is not an option cause well we don't have a vehichle that would make it out to Vancouver.We are thinking more along the lines of Greyhound as my fiance is not too fond of flying, I know its only a two hour flight but even still don't want to push her.

The flight to Van city is really not that bad...just did it again yesterday evening. It actually goes by pretty fast...safety orientation, snacks and drinks, read some magazines and 1 hour 4 mins later you've arrived :thumbsup:

t-im
02-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501

what? :rolleyes:

Tripz
02-22-2005, 08:11 PM
I hate driving, if you dont mind the long 10+ hour drive then go for it, but since the plane tickets are not that expensive i rather advice you to fly instead. Also westjet has tv builted into the back of the seats, i didnt even get to finish watching the second half of a basketball game and i was already there :D.

AcuraTl
02-22-2005, 08:23 PM

well somebody obviously isent from Western Canada...tsk tsk

Xtrema
02-22-2005, 11:14 PM

If cars can only make it in 12hrs @ 100km/h, how fast do you think our trains can go to do it in less than 4hrs?