PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk electronic Boost controllers. Need to replace my avcr

Redlyne_mr2
02-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Im running a gen 2 avcr and Im starting to get sick and tired of it. It does a poor job and holding boost, it's big, silver and awkward looking. I do like that it has variably boost through different rpms though. Can anyone recomend another electronic boost controller with variable boost? I like the e01 but its just too damn big and wouldl like hell in the interior of a 90s toyota.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
02-22-2005, 02:01 AM
This one looks promising...
http://world-motorsports.com/tbc.htm

i call dibs on your avcr when you decide to sell it !

buh_buh
02-22-2005, 02:06 AM
wanna trade avcr for e-01 anyway?:)

Kirbs17
02-22-2005, 02:32 AM
the greddy blitz 2 one is promising, my friend owns one

kanip
02-22-2005, 05:31 AM
Actually its A gReddy profec b spec-II , but yeah it works really sweet and you can tweak it out to get the perfect boost curve.

and if you wanted more control like fuel management and that whole stuff you can get the all in 1 deal with the profec e or whatever?? thats kinda cool..

if you're not a fan of greddy i'd totally slap in the hks model.
:hitit:

Kirbs17
02-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by kanip
Actually its A gReddy profec b spec-II , but yeah it works really sweet and you can tweak it out to get the perfect boost curve.

and if you wanted more control like fuel management and that whole stuff you can get the all in 1 deal with the profec e or whatever?? thats kinda cool..

if you're not a fan of greddy i'd totally slap in the hks model.
:hitit:

:rofl: Thanks sean. Thats what I MEANT to say, I swear....

heavyD
02-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
wanna trade avcr for e-01 anyway?:)

I have both and from experience that would be a bad trade. The e-01 is far better. The AVCR is too much of a pain to set-up & it seems like you always have to fuck with it.

Go with a Profec type S. They fixed all of the problems with the spec II and called it the type S. It's simple and just works like the old profec B.

buh_buh
02-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Really? I really just want to get rid of the bling bling screen, and what I don't like about the Greddy is that it doesn't have a boost per gear setting (only speed based), and you have to purchase a separate sensor to even use that. Didn't know you had to mess around with it a lot though, thanks for the heads up.

heavyD
02-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Really? I really just want to get rid of the bling bling screen, and what I don't like about the Greddy is that it doesn't have a boost per gear setting (only speed based), and you have to purchase a separate sensor to even use that. Didn't know you had to mess around with it a lot though, thanks for the heads up.

It's just too complex for its own good. The boost/gear setting sounds like a good idea but is a pita to set up properly. My opinion anyway.

heavyD
02-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Im running a gen 2 avcr and Im starting to get sick and tired of it. It does a poor job and holding boost, it's big, silver and awkward looking. I do like that it has variably boost through different rpms though. Can anyone recomend another electronic boost controller with variable boost? I like the e01 but its just too damn big and wouldl like hell in the interior of a 90s toyota.

Poor job of holding boost? Have you got the solenoid duty cycle maxed and still can't hold boost in the upper rpm range? If your turbo is internally gated it's probably the wastegate that is holding you back.

shadowz
02-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Heres another alternative

http://www.turbosmart.com.au/boost_control_electronic.htm

djfob
02-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by shadowz

hmm any good reviews with this one?

heavyD
02-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by djfob

hmm any good reviews with this one?

I looked at the bulletin which says that their solenoid works better but their solenoid looks identical to the Greddy & Apex valves which all probably come from the same solenoid manufacturer.

chris
02-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by shadowz

how much for the boost controller for the 40 psi model?

Redlyne_mr2
02-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. I have heard mized reviews about the e01. Honestly if the e01 wasnt so big I would buy it. I love the fact of variable boost setting. Unfortunately the probec b spec 2 cannot do that nor can alot of other EBC's. Hehe thanks for the link Nick but I want something a little bit more bling because I am a ricer.

HeavyD my settings are as they should be I cant see them affecting the boost problem. It may have to do with the shitty internal gate on my turbo. I have heard that if you get the solenoid wet it can screw things up as well.

I think Ive narrowed it down to either the hks EVC or blitz sbc

heavyD
02-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Thanks for all the responses guys. I have heard mized reviews about the e01. Honestly if the e01 wasnt so big I would buy it. I love the fact of variable boost setting. Unfortunately the probec b spec 2 cannot do that nor can alot of other EBC's. Hehe thanks for the link Nick but I want something a little bit more bling because I am a ricer.

HeavyD my settings are as they should be I cant see them affecting the boost problem. It may have to do with the shitty internal gate on my turbo. I have heard that if you get the solenoid wet it can screw things up as well.

I think Ive narrowed it down to either the hks EVC or blitz sbc

Those are both nice boost controllers and the Apexi one especially because of the twin solenoid setup. If you find with another boost controller you still have boost falling off at higher RPM try something like this as it worked for me:

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=WAT28DSM17psi&Category_Code=DSM

They also have Garrett universal 15 psi ones.