PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Be Lookin For??

Importz
12-23-2002, 08:24 PM
Hey I am really close to buying a 99 Type R engine. When I go look at the engine tomorrow what should I be lookin for?? The guy told me there is only 15,000 km on the engine!! How do I know if he is lying or not?? Please help I dont know much about honda engines!!

Upinher
12-23-2002, 08:50 PM
You might want to check to see if the engine is legit! The engine has a serial code on the transmission housing (I think that is where it is?). Then I think that you can go to the registries and check to see if the vin # has been stolen.

Also check the oil pan, it could be dented. The engine should have a complete wiring harness on it too, and hopefully has engine mounts.

Importz
12-23-2002, 08:53 PM
Thanks dude!! Anything else I should know?? How do I run a compression test?

civicsi
12-23-2002, 08:55 PM
have to be able to crank over the motor to get a compression test.

Upinher
12-23-2002, 09:05 PM
Also check the engine stamp, to see if it is an actual B18C5. It says it on the front of the engine underneath the exhaust ports.

ramminghard
12-24-2002, 12:03 AM
to do a compressioon test you take out one spark plug and put a compression tester in the spark plug hole. crank the engine over and get reading from guage on tool.

Sykes
12-24-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by ramminghard
to do a compressioon test you take out one spark plug and put a compression tester in the spark plug hole. crank the engine over and get reading from guage on tool.

You have do it to all 4 cylinders.
It's not too hard to crank an engine while it's on the pallete. You just need a battery and jumper cables.

Weapon_R
12-24-2002, 01:19 AM
What numbers are optimal for 4cyl engines

ie - the b18b :)

FiveFreshFish
12-24-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
What numbers are optimal for 4cyl engines

ie - the b18b :)

There "wet" and "dry" test figures, but I'm not sure what they'd be. Can you determine the target values if you know what the compression should be? :dunno:

Weapon_R
12-24-2002, 01:28 AM
I should have been more specific...

I have one of those compression testers where you pull out the plug and shove it in, crank the engine and get a reading.

I've never heard of a wet and dry setup....

But just wondering what anyone knew should be a good number to get to find out if an engine is good.

FiveFreshFish
12-24-2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I should have been more specific...

I have one of those compression testers where you pull out the plug and shove it in, crank the engine and get a reading.

I've never heard of a wet and dry setup....

But just wondering what anyone knew should be a good number to get to find out if an engine is good.

The wet and dry refer to whether or not you squirt oil into the plug cavity before cranking, and doesn't refer to any special equipment. The compression tester is the same as yours.

We normally do all cylinders dry and then do them wet, and of course the oil gives us higher numbers across the board. Sorry for being unclear with the terminology.

ramminghard
12-24-2002, 01:57 AM
check seals too, look for leaks and take a look at the plugs while they are out.