PDA

View Full Version : Please help me remove my swirls =(

GT2NV
02-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Hey all, at the end of the season i went to the avenida shell spray wash bay, used the foam brush on my car and it swirled the HELL out of my paint .... i need to remove them for the show season but i dont want a new paint job.. the swirls are really bad, so some tips and products to use would be great:)

GT2NV
02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
its black paint btw:cry:

Weapon_R
02-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Polish it

lastprodigy
02-22-2005, 07:58 PM
take it for one of those 300 dollar polishes like enrich had!

GT2NV
02-23-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Polish it :rolleyes: no shit buddy, im talking about before i wax/polish

Go4Long
02-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by GT2NV
:rolleyes: no shit buddy, im talking about before i wax/polish

actually that's the answer...there is really nothing to do before wax and polish(which should actually be polish then wax...but hey...who's paying attention anyway)
if you don't have a lot of experience with a polisher I do not recommend attempting to do this yourself. You WILL make it worse.
If you have a little bit of experience and want to try to do it yourself, be prepared for it to take a while, start with a cutting polish(meguiars has a great line that even has a scale on the front of it as to how abrasive it is), slowly work your way up to less cutting pads and polishes, then once you get it to the point that it is pretty much scratch free, use a finishing polish like meguiars gold class(my own personal favorite) you can apply this by hand and use either a microfibre cloth or an orbital buffer to take it off.

nismodrifter
02-23-2005, 12:27 AM
:rolleyes: no shit buddy
you wanted a suggestion on how to remove your swirls....and he gave you a good one...so whats with the ":rolleyes:" ?

Weapon_R
02-23-2005, 12:27 AM
:rolleyes: no shit buddy, im talking about before i wax/polish

hmm, ok. Now I get it.

Add some light up washer lights to your rice mobile so they'll take attention off the swirls.

Then polish it. Dumbass.

Go4Long
02-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

hmm, ok. Now I get it.

Add some light up washer lights to your rice mobile so they'll take attention off the swirls.

Then polish it. Dumbass.

:rofl: :rofl: wait wait wait...sorry...I know what we forgot...make sure the car is parked with the emergency brake on before comencing polishing...cus let me tell ya...polishing a moving car is really fuckin hard

GT2NV
02-23-2005, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long

if you don't have a lot of experience with a polisher I do not recommend attempting to do this yourself. You WILL make it worse.
If you have a little bit of experience and want to try to do it yourself, be prepared for it to take a while, start with a cutting polish(meguiars has a great line that even has a scale on the front of it as to how abrasive it is), slowly work your way up to less cutting pads and polishes, then once you get it to the point that it is pretty much scratch free, use a finishing polish like meguiars gold class(my own personal favorite) you can apply this by hand and use either a microfibre cloth or an orbital buffer to take it off.
i have waxed with the power buffer thing numerous times but i have never cut polished... is it any diffrent than waxing? anyone have a writeup on how to do so?

Team_Mclaren
02-23-2005, 02:33 AM
google it!:rolleyes:

Go4Long
02-23-2005, 07:50 AM
depends on what you mean by power polish...if you mean the difference between an orbital buffer and a power polisher, then yeah, there's a huge difference. there is almost no way to ruin your paint using an orbital(unless you're really retarded). Using a polisher wrong will burn a nice big hole in your paint that will end up needing to be resprayed in order to fix it.
The biggest two mistakes I've seen people make when power polishing are trying to make the polisher do the work, and using to high of a speed on the polisher. do not press down on the polisher for any reason while it is on the paint, you should just guide it across the paint in an s-pattern working an area a couple feet by a couple feet at a time and letting the compound do the work(as a tip here, when you are working towards the middle of the car, rather than just letting the cord drag against the paint, either run it over your shoulder for the higher parts of the car, or clip it to your waist using a carabiner for the lower parts), also don't angle the polisher up to high, keep it pretty much level with the paint. and for the second problem, you will never use the highest speed setting on the polishers, I don't think I've ever used over 1700rpm on any of the cars I've polished.