PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Wheel - February 23, 2005

skidmark
02-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Seatbelts

One would think that wearing a seatbelt would be an automatic habit for today's drivers and their passengers. The seatbelt law has been in place for many years and the benefits of being properly buckled up have been clearly demonstrated. However, ICBC seatbelt surveys still show that a significant percentage of vehicle occupants don't buckle up, especially on rural roads. 50% of fatalities in Canada occur with unbelted drivers on those roads.

Road Safety Vision 2010 contains a component called the National Occupant Restraint Program which calls for a target of at least 95% compliance for restraint use. RCMP Traffic Services have agreed to be held responsible for meeting the goals of RSV2010 and will be devoting 30% of enforcement time to insuring proper occupant restraint use.

For those of us who do not yet wear seatbelts or use child restraints on a regular basis, black clouds are gathering on the horizon. The Superintendent of Motor Vehicles advises that he will no longer issue a permanent medical exemption from seatbelt use. The BC Medical Association advises doctors that there is no valid medical reason for a permanent seatbelt exemption, although doctors may still grant a temporary exemption on medical grounds if the proper form is completed.

The biggest change is hinted at in recent activity in the BC Legislature. Bills 3 and 4 have received third reading and will remove the maximum fine of $100 and the need to seek approval from the Chief Justice for changes in violation ticket penalties. Speculation is that the penalties for failing to use or using occupant restraints improperly is about to become very expensive financially.

Today would be a good day to read or re-read the section of your vehicle's owner's manual detailing the proper use of occupant restraint. Follow those guidelines carefully and smile as you pass through our next occupant restraint check without being stopped!

Tyler883
02-23-2005, 02:07 PM
I swear by seatbelts, and use them 100% of the time.

But I'm not naive, the seatbelt laws have more to do about protecting insurance companies than it does about my safety.

DayGlow
02-23-2005, 02:35 PM
we all pay medical costs with our taxes. The less people we have in the hospitals with serious preventable injuries the less money has to come off of my pay cheque.

TKRIS
02-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Canada or not: Here's how I think it should go
No seatbelt = No insurance or medical coverage

Drinking and Driving = No insurance or medical coverage (except of course if there is another person involved, they should be treated and you should have x many years to pay the government back for the hospitalization costs you've caused)

No vehicle insurance = No insurance or medical coverage

Invalid or revoked driver's licence = No insurance or medical coverage

You get the picture. I'm not saying that these people shouldn't receive medical attention, that would be sadistic, only that if you knowingly do something you know is stupid, you have to pay for it yourself.

Kris

fast95pony
02-25-2005, 01:44 AM
I'm completely at a loss as to why people do not wear their seatbelts. I feel naked without mine.

On a side note: I notice in many, many movies and TV shows , the actors are not wearing any belts. Now , I realise most of those cars are being towed,but it doesn't set a good example.

Just watch the FnF . All those fancy race seats and 5 point harnesses , and no one is wearing any belts..

I've also noticed on "Cops" , the offiers not wearing their belts. I guess this is so they can get out of their cruiser quickly,but shouldn't the officer's safety come first ?? Or is catching the perp more important ?? :dunno:

skidmark
02-25-2005, 10:53 AM
The ONLY time I ever go without mine is when I have a prisoner and no shield between the front and rear seats.

DayGlow
02-25-2005, 02:24 PM
I wear my seatbelt all the time, expect when I am close to a call (1 - 1/2 blocks away) that has a potential for a runner. At that time the car is travelling at a very slow speed. Basically the finger is on the button and it comes off as the car stops.

X_plorer
02-25-2005, 03:40 PM
You know what makes me mad, if your in an accident in your car and your seat belt is damaged, your insurance will fix it. You ride a bike and bust up your helmet, which it is law to wear, your SOL and have to replace it from your own funds. What gives? Yes I know that your bike does not come with a helmet as standard equipment but I think they should still reimburse you some amount.

DayGlow
02-25-2005, 03:43 PM
do you have insurance on your bike and helmet?