PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder dislocation

2.4l
02-23-2005, 02:07 PM
so i was working out yesterday after being out of the gym for about 4 days.. all was good starting off with some skullcrushes 45 per side 7 reps .. then i lowered the weight to a 35 on each side for more reps/motion. with the 35's being a little easy and wanting to get extra motion i brought it behind my head and the bench almost touching the floor, then back up, on about the second rep the bar got caught on the underside of the bench and my shoulder came right out. after bringing the weight back up with a fucked shoulder and a shitload of shock i almost passed out lookign in the mirror.. anyways i asked the guys who work there to snap it back in place and they pretty much said fuck you. so i pulled on my arm and set my own shoulder right there, very painfull:banghead: sorry for the rant but i was wondering what can i do to speed up the healing process so i can get back in the gym faster? anything i can eat or any motions i can put my shoulder through. at the moment i have reduced mobility and a little pain, but i heal very fast so i dont expect to be out longer then a week.. any suggestions are much appreciated.:thumbsup:

Tyler883
02-23-2005, 02:13 PM
I think you've probably heard this before, but the best thing you can do with a joint injury is to stay off it, and don't irritate it. You can sometimes work through the pain of a muscle injury, but joints and tendons should not be treated that way.

if you're not sure that a week is enough time, try 2 or 3 weeks, its better than dealing with cronic pain for the next few months.

YCB
02-23-2005, 07:48 PM
yeah thats what happened to me do.. incline bench with free weights, fucked up my left shoulder, i still worked out, but i did work outs that put very little strain on my shoulder, and i supplemented with glucosamine for a bit.. now its good as new.. but i still don't do incline bench with free weights..

RiceCube
02-23-2005, 07:51 PM
massage?

00redLUDE
02-23-2005, 09:45 PM
First thing is IF you seriously dislocated your shoulder and then reduced it back in yourself, you should go to your doctor or a walk in clinic to get a x-ray done on your shoulder. You could have chipped a bone when you dislocated it or when you reduced it back in.

Second, as long as you did not break a bone, you need to immobolize that shoulder with a sling for 10-14 days. Why? Because when you dislocate a shoulder the ligaments that hold that shoulder in place will be all stretched. You will need to rest that shoulder for 10-14 days so that the swelling will go down and the ligaments will tighten up as well. If you do not do this and decide to go back to weight training you run the risk of dislocating the shoulder again or even worse not allow the ligaments to tighten up again which will lead to an unstable shoulder which would make you pretty much f*cked.

Once you rest the shoulder for the 10-14 days, get reassessed by the doctor and if everything is ok you should go to physiotherapy for a few sessions so that they can show you some range of motion and strengthening exercises to rehab your shoulder.

When you get back to the gym start off slowly first with light weights and build up your strength from there.

Start to finish you are looking at 4-6 weeks if you want to do it the right way. Good luck :thumbsup:

rc2002
02-23-2005, 10:48 PM
I dislocated my shoulder a few years ago too, and it still slips from time to time now. The ligaments will never be as tight as they were before. It sucks, but the best thing you can do without resorting to surgery is strengthening your rotator cuffs. After a few weeks, try using those rubber ropes and slowly build up resistance...

gggunit
02-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Ive dislocated my shoulder before as well.. have a rotar cuff torn now.. check out rotar cuff excerises online.. and most importantly
DO THEM!!!

r7
02-25-2005, 01:30 AM
Ouch! Dislocated my shoulder 10 years ago.. and it still bothers me!! Definetely a liftime injury.. go to the doc

SUPRAPHAT
02-25-2005, 02:30 AM
that sucks man, I work at a physical therapy clinic and see this kinda thing all the time(dislocated shoulders).

I'll talk to the therapists and get a list of excercises for yah tommorow!

Jason

7thgenvic
02-25-2005, 02:54 AM
welcome to rehab son! pysio licks! and your shoulder will NEVER feel the same! NEVER and it sucksss sooo bad

SUPRAPHAT
02-25-2005, 03:39 AM
The only thing that sucks about physio is the cost. I've worked at a physio clinic for 4 years and I love getting worked on and from all the work I've had done, I more than likely won't ever have to worry about hurting a joint or have spine problems cus all my instabilities have been corrected when I am young, which is when most problems begin and are left untreated which then turn into major problems when you are older.

Crap that was a long sentence, haha

Jason

2.4l
02-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
welcome to rehab son! pysio licks! and your shoulder will NEVER feel the same! NEVER and it sucksss sooo bad

fuck that i bet i can get it stronger in a few months... it happened to my other shoulder but not nearly as bad of a dislocation.. i just went to a doctor he said go to physio and take advil, dont work out for 10 days..
thanks for your suggestions:thumbsup:

mcshow
02-25-2005, 12:41 PM
dislocating your shoulder sucks, i separated my shoulder a few years ago in hockey, and went to physio but never really bothered with the exercises plus went back to playing too quickly and now my shoulder is messed plus my other shoulder popped out in a rugby game 2 years ago and never did anything about that either just toughed it out, and that was the worst thing you could do, cuz now everytime i go to the gym, i have to work on my rotator cuffs because my shoulders are just a mess

i recommend to do the exercises now before it gets worse like everyone has already said, it will never be quite the same, but you can strengthen it but one of the best exercises for your rotator cuff is keeping your elbow against your side at a 90 degree angle and use a rubber band and rotate your arm away from you and also turn around and rotate towards yourself, i find those help the most

gggunit
02-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by 2.4l

fuck that i bet i can get it stronger in a few months... it happened to my other shoulder but not nearly as bad of a dislocation.. i just went to a doctor he said go to physio and take advil, dont work out for 10 days..
thanks for your suggestions:thumbsup:

no matter how much advil you take it aint gonna help.. i stopped working our for 6 months.. still acts up when I benchpress especially.. go to a profesional not just your family doc...

SUPRAPHAT
03-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Sorry, I totally forgot about this thread.

I talked to the therapists at work and they said the biggest thing you wanna do is definitely go see your family doctor first. He will prescribe physical therapy 95% of the time. As for exercises they said they can't really give any general exercises cus it all depends on the severity of the dislocation and whether you are getting numbness down your arm or any other symptoms along with the pain.

One excercise that they did mention was to do a lot of ball work. Get one of those excersice balls and put it up agains a wall about head height and use your hand to roll it in circles on the wall. Not sure if you get what I mean but its a good exercise for your stabilizers in your shoulder.

Just make sure that your not doing anything in the gym until the should is good and healed! Go see your doctor again or talk to your physical therapist before you do anything strenuous on the shoulder or else you'll end up with perminent damage and it will pop out on you all the time and then 20-30 years down the road you'll be lookin at rotator cuff surgery or a shoulder replacement.

Jason