PDA

View Full Version : V6 swap into an Mr2

Hollywood
02-23-2005, 03:56 PM
I have read up on the websites that talk about this. SCC did an article on the swap a few years back too. I the article they said it was easy, but after review the web pages it seems like a huge hassel. Not to mention I dout those superchargers for the v6 are too easy to get these days either.

How many people actually have done the swap on the main MR2 boards?

Gspotracer
02-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Didn't they make a factory V6 SC MR2(95 I think):dunno: I swear I remember reading about it somewhere.

three.eighteen.
02-23-2005, 04:04 PM
no, the only FI 2nd gen mr2s are 4cyl turbos...however a SC Camry V6 powered MR2 won the USCC without contest this year

604-Mico
02-23-2005, 04:15 PM
I believe the guy named his car the MR-6
Crammed a 1mz-fe into the mr2 and got the TRD S/C

Theres a few around the states if im not mistaken so it is possible

Hollywood
02-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Oh I know it is possible, I was just curious how many actually have it.

Redlyne_mr2
02-23-2005, 11:46 PM
There are a small handful of v6 MR2's in northamerica. visit www.mr2oc.com there is a section for hybrid owner mr2s. The TRD SC is easy to come by but like everything TRD is pricey. The swap should be pretty straight forward since the mr2 has a transverse mounted engine. I have never driven a v6 mr2 so I cant comment on how it drives.

EK 2.0
02-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
There are a small handful of v6 MR2's in northamerica. visit www.mr2oc.com there is a section for hybrid owner mr2s. The TRD SC is easy to come by but like everything TRD is pricey. The swap should be pretty straight forward since the mr2 has a transverse mounted engine. I have never driven a v6 mr2 so I cant comment on how it drives.

based on weight numbers Ryan, it should drive like a stock SW with more tq...

and yes, the swap SHOULD be fairly straitforward...

heavyD
02-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood
I have read up on the websites that talk about this. SCC did an article on the swap a few years back too. I the article they said it was easy, but after review the web pages it seems like a huge hassel. Not to mention I dout those superchargers for the v6 are too easy to get these days either.

How many people actually have done the swap on the main MR2 boards?

Don't even bother with it. It's alot more work than your 240 SR20 swap, lots of little things to fuss with and anything TRD stands for (Totally Ridiculous Dollars). Just get a G35 or STi.

Hollywood
02-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Don't even bother with it. It's alot more work than your 240 SR20 swap, lots of little things to fuss with and anything TRD stands for (Totally Ridiculous Dollars). Just get a G35 or STi.

I was bored at work yesterday so I thought I would satisfy some curiosities. Nothing I planned on doing or buying.

dj_Twin_turbo
02-24-2005, 12:55 PM
I think the car you're refferring to was a TTE prototype of the MKII. Dark red car, right ?

Originally posted by Gspotracer
Didn't they make a factory V6 SC MR2(95 I think):dunno: I swear I remember reading about it somewhere.

I'm when reading up on the swap, it seems to be too much of a hassle, it is.

I, on the other hand, plan to do this swap in the future. A supercharged V6 is my preferene over a 4cyl Turbo... not saying its better ! It's just what I would rather have.

jvillain
02-26-2005, 11:33 AM
You would either have to swap all the engine control electronics from the car it was coming out of over to the MR2 or get an EMS and start fabbing up a wiring harness. That is ontop of all the other little things that aren't going to line up. Definitly not a project for the faint of heart.

If you would like to bring a hardtop up from the US I think this car is still available.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=73167

Hollywood
02-27-2005, 12:58 PM
It's trickey to bring over a modified vehicle into canada. Especially whne it has chassis modifacations.

jvillain
02-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Depends on the car. If it was available in both Canada and the US and there were no major differences in the 2 cars then it isn't bad. There are a couple of things that you have to do on an MR2 like the third tail light etc.

If any one is interested the is a write up on bringing up an MR2 from thye US. I found the link on www.mr2.com.

Hollywood
02-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by jvillain
Depends on the car. If it was available in both Canada and the US and there were no major differences in the 2 cars then it isn't bad. There are a couple of things that you have to do on an MR2 like the third tail light etc.

If any one is interested the is a write up on bringing up an MR2 from thye US. I found the link on www.mr2.com.

No it does not depend on the car. The most major thing checked on importing any vehicle from the US is any chassis changes.

jvillain
02-27-2005, 07:18 PM
No it does not depend on the car.

Ya, phone up transport Canada and tell them you want to bring an Elise up here and listen to them laugh. I think you will find the most important thing they check is if it was stolen or not.

The inspection a car goes through on the way into the county is basically the same as an ou t of province inspection which isn't bad. I passed mine with the car lowered and lot of speed parts added.

Besides which the only chasis mods are rolling the front fender and punching out the rear. Both legal mods in Canada.

Hollywood
02-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by jvillain

Ya, phone up transport Canada and tell them you want to bring an Elise up here and listen to them laugh. I think you will find the most important thing they check is if it was stolen or not.

The inspection a car goes through on the way into the county is basically the same as an ou t of province inspection which isn't bad. I passed mine with the car lowered and lot of speed parts added.

Besides which the only chasis mods are rolling the front fender and punching out the rear. Both legal mods in Canada.

It's no where near like an out of province they check wayyyyy less for a federal inspection. The things they check are depending on the vehicle each vehicle has it's own "certian" check list. But the thing the check with all cars despite the list is chassis modifications.

Federal inspections do not care about no cat converters, coil overs, exhausts intakes, etc, unless it is on the list for that vehicle.

I haver talked to them lots so I know what I'm talking about.

The V6 mr2 has "chassis" modifications, so I'm not sure if canadian tire would pick up on it but it would be a definate risk.