PDA

View Full Version : Proactive

AznDragon2004
02-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Anyone here tried proactive and does it work?

Delta
02-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Yeah, i noticed things got better. Give it a shot, see how it works.

Owned Again
02-23-2005, 07:47 PM
I havnt tried proactive... but I give cocain a shot ever once and while! After a quick 8-ball I start to realise how im the smartest and coolest person in the world!

ryder_23
02-23-2005, 08:05 PM
GO for the good stuff.. Accutain :D

Screw the face cream, get acne at the source, oil glands, :rofl:

Hakkola
02-23-2005, 08:42 PM
accutane is the only shit that ever worked. I used proactive back in the day and it dried out my skin, you have to use all the moisturizers as well if you use it, and when you have sensitive skin, that's just way too much crap.

All I do now is wash my fash every night and morning with cetaphil, which you can pick up pretty much anywhere, it's just like a facial soap, works well,I have no acne problems anymore.

After all my experience with products and shit, I find the best cure is eating well and just using a gentle cleanser, everything else is shit. Only medication worth using is acutane and that's only if there's a serious acne problem.

nismodrifter
02-23-2005, 08:53 PM
I am on accutane right now....my face was pretty bad and now its getting noticably better. The one thing that I will say is that you SHOULD ONLY go on accutane if you have a SERIOUS acne problem.

The shit messes you up BADLY, your mood will noticably change (sad, depressed, don't feel like doing anything...you are probably saying "what a wuss, its not going to happen to me" and thats what I thought too before I went on it....but it honestly does mess you up), your lips will crack like crazy, bleed and the skin off your lips will literally peel off in chunks, have gotten random nosebleeds once or twice.

Does it work...yes.....but I'd only use it if its your last resort.

AznDragon2004
02-23-2005, 10:07 PM
I don't got serious acne. I just got oily skin and pimples here and there so I just wanted to know if proactive will help

Dope Dealer
02-25-2005, 06:49 PM
I heard some people are suicidal on accutane. Both of my brothers took it but luckily I didn't need to. It's pretty potent stuff.

three.eighteen.
02-25-2005, 07:26 PM
yeah accutane fucks with your shit...what i found works is aloe vera, the plant, every night use rubbing alcohol to carpet bomb any baddies on your face(or you could just use spectro gel which contains alcohol anyway) , then snip a piece off the aloe plant and rub the goo inside all over your face

Skyline_Addict
02-25-2005, 07:28 PM
because this product is not prescribed, it is just like any thing off the counter. so you have to treat it that way. it may work better or worse, i don't know, but when it comes to stuff that isn't medically prescribed, the best way to find out is to try. because results vary much more with off the counter stuff.

AznDragon2004
03-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Anyone here know how much proactiv costs?

Dope Dealer
03-06-2005, 09:29 PM
http://proactiv.com/order/order_now.php?PHPSESSID=8f8b69bd6a16a21805a5329c204c35dc

Anyone see the new infomercials with P. Diddy and Alicia Keys? Haha

Euro_Trash
03-06-2005, 10:00 PM
I paid 70 bucks for this 4 piece kit, it helped a lot actually, not 100% but enough to make me happy

Benny
03-06-2005, 11:30 PM
I tried a while ago and it didn't do shit for me. I went on accutane about a year ago and even though it fucked me up for a while it worked. My acne problem came back fairly recently and my doctor says I've pretty much used a lifetime's worth of accutane. I guess I'm just shit outta luck.

finboy
03-06-2005, 11:32 PM
it works alright, but not great. accutane will fuck you up BAD, i had a split lip for 6 weeks straight, any time i would talk it would start bleeding. been on it twice and i won't use it again.

BokCh0y
03-07-2005, 12:10 AM
I've never tried Proactive but I can say that Accutane is the bomb. I used Accutane back in the day, it actually made my acne worse before it got better. From what I heard from my Dermatologist is that the stuff works best after you finish your treatment. My treatment was for 6 months and in the beginning it got crazy bad. Good thing though was my blackheads would just fall off my face - literally. After the treatment my face just started clearing and clearing.

A buddy of mine also tried Accutane but his was the Accutane 10 which is not as strong as the Accutane 40 I used. His treatment was a pill every other day instead of everyday. He had less side effects this way as well and has been zit free for a year now.

Of course the are sideffects with this stuff. Actually there's ALOT of side effects and would be better if you checked it out online or through your doctor. Only thing I can say is keep your hair short and carry lots of cream and chapsticks. If you wear contacts....buy glasses.

Good Luck with the Zits pal.

nismodrifter
03-07-2005, 12:31 AM
bokchoy: Did your doctor prescribe accutane40 everyday??? mine said take it everyday for the first month, and then every other day for the rest of the period. I am in month 2 now and have noticed my face getting worse (probably because of the fact I take it every other day)...so I am just curious as to what your "medicine schedule" looked like and if you had any serious side effects?? I'll probably ask him to crank it up again because my face is getting really bad now :(

BokCh0y
03-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
bokchoy: Did your doctor prescribe accutane40 everyday??? mine said take it everyday for the first month, and then every other day for the rest of the period. I am in month 2 now and have noticed my face getting worse (probably because of the fact I take it every other day)...so I am just curious as to what your "medicine schedule" looked like and if you had any serious side effects?? I'll probably ask him to crank it up again because my face is getting really bad now :(

Yeah Dude when I was on it my Doctor had me use it EVERYDAY for 6 months. It does however get worse before it gets better. When I started the treatment my Zits were starting to get out of control - like 5 new ones a week. So anyways when I used the Acutane mine went from like 5 new ones to like 10 new ones a week. I did however ask my Doctor about this and he said it was normal and that the acne usually clears up after the treatment. He did mention however that in severe cases you will have to take a second course of treatment. Mine however really cleared after the 6 month course was over.

My biggest side effects was extreme dry skin especially in my face. Crazy chapped lips and all my arm hairs fell off. No joke dude. The fukers fell off and never grew back!!!! I was so concerned that I actually cut my hair short - box cut. I read that hair loss is a side effect and that if you are having sex you HAVE to wear a jimmy to prevent pregnancy. I guess it causes some fuked up effects to unborn children or something. But yeah your treatment sounds right with the acne getting worse and all. How long is your course of treatment for? i would stick with the treatment the doc has you on right now as after the treatment....the fukers are mostly all gone. My Doctor - Dr. Allan Behm is one of the best Dermatologists in Calgary but I think he was a little extreme with the course of treatment for me. He didn't even try anything first like tetracycline. Just moved me to Acutane 40 as the first course of treatment. You gotta also remember that this stuff has some serious side effects on your kidney and liver. I think it'll be all cool in the end for you. I can't imagine anyone being as pretty as me but you can sure try. :D

Good Luck Pal.

-DK-

ryder_23
03-07-2005, 12:49 AM
I was on accutain for 4 months.

I started out with a month, 2 pills one day, 1 the next (40). then after that it toned down to 1 every 2 days, then 1 every 3 days.

It worked great for me, had just dry side effects, nothing too bad... I'd go on it again, wasnt dissapointed at all...

Speed_69
03-07-2005, 12:50 AM
are there any good products out there that get rid of acne scars?
i pretty much have no pimples right now but i have some acne scars left and i hate them!!

BokCh0y
03-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23
I was on accutain for 4 months.

I started out with a month, 2 pills one day, 1 the next (40). then after that it toned down to 1 every 2 days, then 1 every 3 days.

It worked great for me, had just dry side effects, nothing too bad... I'd go on it again, wasnt dissapointed at all...

:werd:

nismodrifter
03-07-2005, 12:51 AM
I am also on the "rush" treatment, straight onto accutane + tetracycline...at the same time hehe. But I have seriously tried a lot of other methods and this is my last resort and god I just hope it works. Really sucks but what can you do :( I'll look into getting onto the pills everyday because my face is just horrible this month. It got worse for the first couple weeks and then instantly cleared up for about 2-3 weeks...now its just back to hell again :( Thanks for the info man, appreciate it.

ryder_23
03-07-2005, 12:55 AM
^
isnt the tetra the one that is anti biotic form?

mixing the 2 causes bleeding of the brain if its the one i'm thinking of. They had to wait a few weeks before i went on accutain b/c of this. Hopefully its not the same thing i'm thinking of, or you might want to talk to doctor.

Both my doctor, and when i got my prescription filled said same thing.

Acne scars, vitamin E cream worked great for my scar i had across my face from a laceration, maybe that will work too :dunno:

BokCh0y
03-07-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Speed_69
are there any good products out there that get rid of acne scars?
i pretty much have no pimples right now but i have some acne scars left and i hate them!!

I hear tanning is the best way to clear up some of the scars or maybe some facial bleach. It also depends on the scars. I have scars - slight pot marks on left side of cheek. For the discoloration of the skin left from scars you can either wait it out as it will fade naturally or you can pick up this bleach stuff. My gf got it for me and it faded the scars so they weren't noticeable.

As far as actual physical scars ie. pot marks, I hear just tanning (dries out skin??? this i what i've heard from chicks) and moisturizer with vitamin e and elastisin stuff. My girl used to set me up with the cream and stuff. Can't remember what it is called though.

Shampoo Suicide
03-07-2005, 12:59 AM
I was on accutane for like 4 months, and only made me worse. I was extrememly dry (but I wasnt drinking much water, even though I should have been drinking double water). I found the best thing for me was to drink lots and lots of water, its help like nothing else.

t-im
03-07-2005, 01:18 AM
I have a prescription written up for Acutane in my wallet from my doctor but I haven't gotten around to getting it....I'm kinda worried about the side effects as it's a pretty strong pill (form what I know and what i've seen you guys write)..

My main concern is does it give you headaches?..make your eyes hurt?..or is it just all around dryness?

I went on Minocycline (Minocine) for about 2 weeks a few years ago and got major major headaches/nausea/dizzyness...and my eyes ached like crazy...

It's not exactly comparable to Acutane as this is an antibiotic..but yeah, I'm just worried those things will happen again with Acutane..

anyone?

BokCh0y
03-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by t-im
I have a prescription written up for Acutane in my wallet from my doctor but I haven't gotten around to getting it....I'm kinda worried about the side effects as it's a pretty strong pill (form what I know and what i've seen you guys write)..

My main concern is does it give you headaches?..make your eyes hurt?..or is it just all around dryness?

I went on Minocycline (Minocine) for about 2 weeks a few years ago and got major major headaches/nausea/dizzyness...and my eyes ached like crazy...

It's not exactly comparable to Acutane as this is an antibiotic..but yeah, I'm just worried those things will happen again with Acutane..

anyone?

For me i didn't have any headaches or dizziness or aching eyes. I just had super dry skin, lips and eyes. So dry in fact my contacts would sometimes "pop" out when I blinked lol. But definately check with your doc and online if your concerned.

BebeAphrodite
03-07-2005, 01:36 AM
For the original question, proactive didn't work for me. I get maybe one pimple once every two months or so but I 'broke' out this one month and got 3 zits so I got freaked, went on proactive for one month and it did nothing for me because I had more zits on it than I do without it.

rio_rex
03-07-2005, 01:43 AM

anyone?

I took acutane a few years ago...it really dried out my skin, and my back would be forever ichy. The others are right about the dry eyes too. My contacts would get really uncomfortable because of the dryness in my eyes. But the biggest warning i would give to you is its emotional sideffects. I think this was when i was 16 or something when i took it, and it gave me severe depression. At that time i didn't know about the sideeffects because my parents were forcing me to take it:nut: , and prob 2 weeks after i started taking it i became so antisocial i couldn't even bare to talk to anyone or for that matter walk around in public comfortabley. I took that shit for a year before i quit using it, but it fucked up my head real good....my depression didn't go away, and stayed with me for a good 4 years. I think it probly triggered it, but yeah i'm 20 and its only recently gone away. To me this shit is the fucking devil:banghead: :banghead:

But yeah, it varies from person to person on the sideffects, so do ur research before ya pop them pills:rolleyes:

bspot
03-07-2005, 01:44 AM
Man, accutane fucked me up so bad I had to go off. I was intensly dry, lips were in pain all the time, but the worst was I had massive joint problems. My knees went to shit when I went on it, and shortly after coming off they got better. I HATED the regular blood samples too.

Since I didn't finish my whole treatment I wasn't zit free after, but better than I started off. I've taken some Sulfatrim stuff (I think i screwed up the name.. sulfa something) and it does a good enough job with what I'm left with.

Oh yeah.. worst part about Accutane: No drinking or you'll really hurt your liver/kidneys

t-im
03-07-2005, 01:54 AM
hmm, see i've been told acutane is my last resort, and if I don't take it, my skin won't get better.

my skin is pretty bad..thorugh HS i never would really get pimples..but after 1st yr 1st semester, i totally broke out..and didn't do much about it..and to this day I haven't done THAT much about it because I kinda hoped I would eventually grow out of it (obviously not) so now I have scaring and acne problems still...

but the way Acutane sounds..i'm kinda willing to live with my skin and most likely grow out of it...eventually..

still not sure....

BebeAphrodite
03-07-2005, 01:58 AM
hmm, see i've been told acutane is my last resort, and if I don't take it, my skin won't get better.

my skin is pretty bad..thorugh HS i never would really get pimples..but after 1st yr 1st semester, i totally broke out..and didn't do much about it..and to this day I haven't done THAT much about it because I kinda hoped I would eventually grow out of it (obviously not) so now I have scaring and acne problems still...

but the way Acutane sounds..i'm kinda willing to live with my skin and most likely grow out of it...eventually..

still not sure....

ya I was wondering why you had accutane cuz I remember you as a clear skinned guy!

cman
03-07-2005, 02:03 AM

still not sure....

:werd: my exact dilema. ive tried a few other things that worked, but at a rate of probably 0-5% per month over 4 months, so its not doing a whole lot. i want to rid of the problem at a quicker rate, but the side effects other members have experienced and those written about in brochures and on the internet have me 50/50 on whether to go for accutane or not.

t-im
03-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by BebeAphrodite

ya I was wondering why you had accutane cuz I remember you as a clear skinned guy!

Katie..you haven't seen me in yeaaars :) ..and probably wouldn't be able to recognize me if you randomly walked by ..my scaring/skin is THAT bad compared to before. I'm surprised that I actually let it get this bad

yeerj
03-07-2005, 02:24 AM
If your acne is quite mild you might want to ask your doctor about BenzaClin. It's available by prescription from your doctor.

However, if you want a product that will clear up your acne for many years then you should speak to your doctor about Accutane. Many doctors are now prescribing it for anyone, not just those with severe acne.

A note about Accutane is you better make sure that you have some kind of medical plan because it is expensive. It's around $200/month without insurance.

cman
03-07-2005, 02:27 AM
yea cost is not an issue for me. its the side effects that im worried about.
and i would classify mine as fairly severe.
its just the side effects.
i want to because severe acne sucks balls, but i would rather have severe acne than the serious side effects

Skyline_Addict
03-07-2005, 02:55 AM

Katie..you haven't seen me in yeaaars :) ..and probably wouldn't be able to recognize me if you randomly walked by ..my scaring/skin is THAT bad compared to before. I'm surprised that I actually let it get this bad

i think you should definetely go on some type of prescription, something to more drastically improve your skin. i mean, if nothing else is working...you gotta atleast give some new things a try. don't let the problem get worse. it's like that for any sort of illness/discrepancy/etc. just keep trying something, and if nothing gets better, go through your last resort. my cousin, (who is a model) takes accutane even though she doesn't have acne on her face, but just her back and shoulders. so it's definetely something that can even be used to treat the "mild" cases, per se. you should give it a try if nothing else works, but don't let it drag on too long. apparently some people never "grow" out of acne at a young age, and it carries on through adulthood.

yeerj
03-07-2005, 03:25 AM
I've taken Accutane and didn't experience any of the major side effects that people often complain about. I have to admit that when I read about Accutane I was somewhat worried.

The only thing that really bothered me was that my nostrils became very dry and I have to put Vaseline in them on a regular basis.

If your acne is fairly severe definitely talk to you doctor about Accutane. For most people it will put the acne into remission for up to 10 years.

nismodrifter
08-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Accutane update:

I have been on it for 8 months now (I started treatment in January) and this shit is LE BOMB! I only take one pill every like 3 days now and my face is clear and clean as glass....not a single pimple. No noticable side effects anymore. Yes its a little bit hard when you first start treatment but once you see the results its really worth it!!!

And regarding headaches:
t-im: I did notice that with antibiotics I had REALLY bad headaches too...like my head would be freaking KILLING somedays. With Accutane I did not have any headaches but did have all the other BS. Its all gone now though, no peeling, no dryness, doing pretty well.

BokCh0y
08-15-2005, 12:55 PM
glad to hear your face is clearing up fine. after i got of the accutane, my face cleared even more. a little extra something to look forward to after treatment.

t-im
08-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Accutane update:

I have been on it for 8 months now (I started treatment in January) and this shit is LE BOMB! I only take one pill every like 3 days now and my face is clear and clean as glass....not a single pimple. No noticable side effects anymore. Yes its a little bit hard when you first start treatment but once you see the results its really worth it!!!

And regarding headaches:
t-im: I did notice that with antibiotics I had REALLY bad headaches too...like my head would be freaking KILLING somedays. With Accutane I did not have any headaches but did have all the other BS. Its all gone now though, no peeling, no dryness, doing pretty well.

I got the prescription for acutane, but I never went and filled it. I didn't really want to go through with it..and somehow my skin natrually cleared up quite a bit...i breakout a bit but nowhere as worst as before..so I have no clue..

I may take acutane in the future, but i'm putting that on hold for now, but nice to hear that it works!

Tai-Lun
08-17-2005, 08:28 PM
pm sent

AznDragon2004
08-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Tai-Lun
pm sent

Replied pm

aln
08-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
accutane is the only shit that ever worked. I used proactive back in the day and it dried out my skin, you have to use all the moisturizers as well if you use it, and when you have sensitive skin, that's just way too much crap.

All I do now is wash my fash every night and morning with cetaphil, which you can pick up pretty much anywhere, it's just like a facial soap, works well,I have no acne problems anymore.

After all my experience with products and shit, I find the best cure is eating well and just using a gentle cleanser, everything else is shit. Only medication worth using is acutane and that's only if there's a serious acne problem.

i would agree. watch what you eat also. back off spicy and fried foods. drink lots of water and it will help.

creeper
08-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Drink enough water that you have to piss every 30 minutes, were talking a shitload of water, and then wash your face with just your bare hands (after you have washed them first) about 5 - 6 times a day. The massive amount of water you drink will stop your face from drying up like mad, and the "gentle" washing should help rid your skin of oil. Try taking vitamins, especially Vitamin D (the sunshine vitamin!). DO NOT eat drink or eat anything thats all sugar, or anything bad at all for that matter. Coke, candy, chocolate, SLURPEES, anything at all that is unhealthy. After a can of coke, I can honest to god feel my face itching and shit, and can feel the fucking acne starting to bubble up.

Stress is a major issue with acne for me. If you relax and try and rid yourself of some stress, that will help alot.

But trust me on the water thing, drink so much that you always have to piss, and continue drinking all day. Seriously.

Lots of vitamin D!!

Oh and one more thing - WHATEVER YOU DO, DOOOOONNNN'TTTT TOUCH YOUR FACE! EVER! Don't scrath, itch or even rest you hand on your face, be very concious of this - your hands are always filthy dirty, and your face is sentive to that. Be very very concious not to ever touch your face. Your probably leaning your hand on your chin or something right now, DONT!

This causes all the puss and goop to spreak out under the skin, and make more acne. And also rubs oils and dirt from your hands deeper into the skin. Never, ever, ever touch your face.

If you sleep with an animal, like a pig girlfriend or cat or dog - get rid of it from your bedroom. Dryclean your blankets, and put on clean sheets. Change the pillow cover every week (again, trust me) and always try to sleep in the cleanest bed possible. This has alot to do with it, because when you sleep and mash you face all around in your pillow, covered in cat or dog hair and sweat and shit, thats BAD for your skin.

Also, if you use hair gel, or other products, fully wash them out of your hair before going to sleep. And dry your hair completely.

In the morning, after you shower and use conditioner, wash your face - conditioner seems to have gel-ish shit that will kind of leave a film on your face, fucking up your pores even more.

Always, always, always keep your bed clean, wash your face very, very often (excessively often) and drink a fortune of water, more water than you ever thought you could drink. But a Nalgene bottle, or a sport bottle or whatever, and fill it up and drink it down as soon as its empty.

Trust me, I've dealt with this for years, and have kept it very much underwraps for months now, because of my obsessive compulsive regime.

PS - Brush your teeth BEFORE washing your face before you go to bed, this prevents shit from geeting around your lips, chin ect. Lots of tiny shit that you might not notice flys all around when you brush, brush really close to the mirror if you dont believe me, and check out the galaxy of little white specks afterwards (maybe its just me!) .

Anyways, acne is shit - but you can get rid of it by being overly-radical.

creeper
08-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Oh and one more thing, always "pad" dry your face, with a new towel every single time you wash it or shower, never re-use the same towel on your face, unless you've laundered it first. Never wipe your face, always pad dry it, really gently.

By pad I mean, press down softly in one spot to soak up water, move the towel to an un-used area, and press down again, make sure to get all the water nice and dry under your nose.

AznDragon2004
08-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the tips creeper

civicrider
08-21-2005, 09:14 PM
i got the proactive stuff and as long as i remember to use it my face stays clean, but from what ive herd its not good if you have really bad acne

GucciBoy
08-22-2005, 02:53 PM
actually wash your face 2x a day, no more, no less. Anything more will only aggravate the skin, strip down the natural oils and as a result produce more and more. Yes tons of water, and I mean boat loads! Who cares if you have to pee every 10 seconds. And change pillow cases every night if you can, or every second night at the least.