PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only person on Beyond that thinks GT4 should be called GT3.5?

heavyD
02-24-2005, 10:23 AM
There is less jaggies and the patented PS2 flicker is less prevalent, the interface is improved, there are a few more cars & mods, the photoshop editing is cool, you can bring over licenses & credits from GT3.

After 4 years in developement they couldn't get online to work?:confused: The AI is as crappy as before as you can still cheat. I can still use the same stratagy as the PS1 GT's. Go full throttle into a sharp corner, when all the other cars brake, you go inside and smash into a turning car knocking him out of the way and taking his spot whithout missing a beat. Or in harpin corners, just run/collide full throttle into the wall sideways and drive out since cars cannot be damaged. How can you call this a "driving simulator". After my first night I'm already feeling deja vu.

Now I'm not bashing that game as it is still undeniably the best of its kind and the graphics are the best the PS2 has to offer but I hear all of these people gushing about how great it is and I wonder if they ever played GT3 or even GT2. It just seems to me like if it was a PC game it would be priced as an expansion pack but since it is Sony we have to pay full game price for GT3 with a new coat of paint.:dunno:

DUBBED
02-24-2005, 10:47 AM
I kind of agree. The first thing I did notice though is how different the steering is, especially between FWD and RWD.

I must admit though the only reason I play the game is to buy the cars.

Kamen
02-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I have GT3, and I started playing GT4 last night, and so far I think it's great. But maybe that will change when I get over how fun it is with the wheel...:dunno:

Akagi Redsuns
02-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Even though you get rewarded for driving stupidly.....doesn't mean you should be doing it. I drive the courses like any sane driver would. The development team really needs to play Pro Race Driver 2 and even LeMans 24hr....and incorporate some good racing ideas into the game. Ohhh they added a fuel tank now.....big whoop. No damage, no changing weather, no changing time of day....etc. Lots of improvements that wasn't done that should have been done to make it an outstanding driving and racing game. And even though it moniker is "ulimate driving simulator", progress is only made by racing other cars and competing.

In any case, I was dissapointed with the overall feel of the game. They could have improved so much....especially with the "tuning" screen where you buy and install mods. It is exactly the same way as it was in GT1.....no progress made at all.

B-Spec is a waste of time for me and if some of the endurance races wasn't so long (24hrs), it wouldn't be needed at all.

The only reason I picked it up is to drive on Nurburing and Circuit Le Sarthe using a wide variety of cars. Nice to see a good model of Nurburing unlike the pathetic attempt by Microsoft on Project Gotham Racing 2.

boi-alien
02-24-2005, 11:26 AM
I agree, the AI isn't a whole lot smarter. I remember them saying that the AI was supposed to be a lot smarter this time around. I still see the AI just taking perfect lines, not avoiding me at all just smashing into me running me off the road if i'm in their way. But, it's still a great game!

benyl
02-24-2005, 11:38 AM
hmm, maybe I will think twice about parting with my cash.

Akagi Redsuns
02-24-2005, 11:42 AM
One last point from me, I do like the physics improvement over GT3. Everything cornered, accelerated and braked really flat in that game. In GT4 now, you feel the weight being transfered while cornering, braking and accelerating. It's nice, and you can feel the difference when you get the racing suspension and dial it in.

Hopefully someone gets working on a hybrid garage game save manipilation program so we can find the hidden cars and mix and match cars and engines. Had a blast with that in GT3 and hopefully there will be one for GT4.

DUBBED
02-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah what's the deal with that b-spec shiet? That seems like the biggest waste of time ever.

heavyD
02-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
One last point from me, I do like the physics improvement over GT3. Everything cornered, accelerated and braked really flat in that game. In GT4 now, you feel the weight being transfered while cornering, braking and accelerating. It's nice, and you can feel the difference when you get the racing suspension and dial it in.

That's funny because I have heard some guys actually complain about this because they think the cars handle more like buses even though it is more realistic.

/////AMG
02-24-2005, 12:11 PM
I think most of the improvements that should have happened, will mos tlikely happen in the next GT on PS3. If thats the case it makes sense if not, then I have no idea why they wouldn't improve the game (because PS1 & PS2 games will work on PS3).

frostyda9
02-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
Yeah what's the deal with that b-spec shiet? That seems like the biggest waste of time ever.

I like the B-Spec for certain stuff. For example, if there course is REALLY boring and the only reason you are doing it is to get completion, you can just guide the car while you take a break from playing. I use the B-spec when I feel like a smoke and I just want to get a race over with.

cityhunter2501
02-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by frostyda9

I like the B-Spec for certain stuff. For example, if there course is REALLY boring and the only reason you are doing it is to get completion, you can just guide the car while you take a break from playing. I use the B-spec when I feel like a smoke and I just want to get a race over with.
Im using it as im studying for midterms and doing my projects :rofl:

benyl
02-24-2005, 07:14 PM
I just bought it at EBgames... I will report back later... haha