PDA

View Full Version : Webber to the Sixers

Si_FlyGuy
02-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Am I the only one to think that the Kings got fleeced?

max_boost
02-24-2005, 12:02 PM
They could/should have gotten more for Webber. Throw in some draft picks or something next time! Other than that, Webber isn't that big of a loss for them. Webber has a big salary, on the downside of his career, clearly a lot slower after his major injury and is a defensive liability. The kings are a run and gun team like the Suns and Sonics. Peja, Miller, Mobely, and Bibby, they are a better team without C-Webb :D

max_boost
02-24-2005, 12:06 PM
On the flip side, a great deal for Philly! They might win the East now! A.I needed a sidekick and got a good one without the team giving up very much. :eek:

Impreza
02-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Definetly a good move on the King's part. Webber is a good player, but he doesn't suit the offence in Sacramento. Like max_boost said, the King's are a run and gun team. I find that Webber takes away from the King's offense and tries to dictate how the offense should be.

menace3
02-24-2005, 12:32 PM
well sixers got a great team. A.I.. CWebb, and late addition Jamal Mashburn if he's going to be healthy they can make the playoffs

hustler
02-24-2005, 12:37 PM
sixers are the only team making things interesting this year but what a statement C Webb and Mashburn will make that a solid team and they didnt even lose that much, the only question I have is who will be coming off the bench now?

gran turismo
02-24-2005, 01:14 PM
I doubt Mash will play again. I think he'll retire after this year. Too bad, cause you're right. AI, C Webb and Mash...that's good for at least 3rd in the east. Still, I'm happy to see the sixers trying to make a push.

menace3
02-24-2005, 01:20 PM
its kinda 50/50 for mashburn to play. i dont think he will retire this season if he plays i think he's coming off the bench. the way Kyle Korver is playing.

5hift
02-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Mashburn will probably never play a game again, the whole reason of aquiring him is that his contract expires at the end of the year and he comes off the books leaving alot of room under the cap for Philly to sign another good player in the offseason.

Webber is an overated power forward who cant do much besides shoot and make the occasional nice pass. I've watched him choke in the playoffs for the Kings every year he hasnt been injured. Sacramento made a smart move in getting rid of him and his huge contract and now have the space to sign a real all star player in the offseason that better suits their uptempto style of play.

cman
02-24-2005, 04:24 PM
that trade was almost as shitty as the Vince trade in terms of solely quality vs. quality.

Kirbs17
02-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Yea the vince trade was complete crap. The sixers are going to be a potent force in the east now, iverson should thrive.

PGTze
02-24-2005, 05:43 PM
You could see that comming, the kings are going to clean house over the off season. Peja wants out too.

Ajay
02-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Philly got Mashburn now too? Damn that's a pretty potent trio. Webber hasn't been the same since he had his knee surgery in 2003 but all the shit and drama in Sacramento also probably helped him not playing well.

It's Peja's team now and Philly will be ALOT better when those three guys can gel. Kinda sad though that they have a losing record and they're still a half game back of Boston for lead of that division.

alomke
02-24-2005, 06:42 PM
i thought Raptors would have had s'thing....let's say a point guard, I was expecting Baron Davis but they never gave a run for it.......Baron Davis is a true guard so that Alston would come off the bench..
VC trade wasn't that bad i'd say cuz Raps have two future 1st round picks and Vince is yet to show his true colours to the Jersey team and his mama's Saga. Vince is good and if he doesn't wanna play that's it.....injuries man, that guy has dunked too much since he was 12........those legs, ankles hurt. It's over!!!!!

menace3
02-24-2005, 07:38 PM
well i dont think Baron Davis will actually play for toronto because the fact is the raptors cant afford Baron Davis . hell maybe next year they will let go of chris bosh.

BigDannyCool
02-24-2005, 07:47 PM
i like the philly, new orleans trade....they both get huge salary cap room after this season

A_3
02-24-2005, 08:13 PM
The Sixers have always been my favorite team next to the Raptors and this trade is great for them. Earlier in his career AI wanted to be the man in Phili, which he became but in the process ran Jerry Stackhouse out of town and made it fairly clear to management he wanted to be the only name on the sixers. He's grown now and see's he can only take a team so far on his back, Chris Webber in the west was a better then average PF, in the east he will become dominant, no one even stands close to him. IF Mashburn plays again the Sixers will become a scary scary team, the combo of Iverson, Webber, and Mashburn would be out of control. I'm excited to see the Sixers make something of this trade and go deep into the playoffs, I honestly think they can beat Miami.

Over to the Sacremento situation. Peja wanted out because him and Webber didn't get along. The management looked at the cards and decided it was a much smarter plan to build around Peja, a younger highly talented pure shooter, then Webber, an aging, injury prone, old school power forward. This trade makes both teams better and i'm happy to see it,

It's a shame the Raps didn't try and go for Bdiddy perhaps with Donyell. Him dishing the ball to Bosh is something I would have liked to see. However I doubt Davis would have at all been happy playing in Toronto. He wanted to go to the west coast, let alone an eastern conference team in Canada. I doubt the raps will get rid of Bosh next year, they would have to find something might nice because as of now they are building this franchise around him.

menace3
02-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Peja and Webber get along very well they team up for about 4 years. but then he wanted out of kings because he wanted to go to Lakers to reunite with his mentor Vlade Divac. Sixers can't beat Miami in the playoffs Webber get scared when playoff time.

Ajay
02-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by menace3
Peja and Webber get along very well they team up for about 4 years. but then he wanted out of kings because he wanted to go to Lakers to reunite with his mentor Vlade Divac. Sixers can't beat Miami in the playoffs Webber get scared when playoff time.

Peja didn't want to go to the Lakers to be with Vlade. Peja wanted out of Sacramento because last year he had the second highest scoring average in the entire league and was for sure the MVP of that team.

He knew that when Webber came back he wouldn't get the same passes, plays, and looks that he got when Webber wasn't around cause like most Peja figured that the team would still be centred around CWeb....obviously they aren't taking that route and the Kings now belong to Peja.

The Sixers will go far into the playoffs but I dunno about knocking off Miami. Miami has had all year to play with each other while Philly now has to adjust to a different style of offense with the new additions. AI will sitll get the most looks and it's still his team but with Webber and Mashburn around it does free him up quite a bit making that team quite the offensive threat.

RiCE-DaDDy
02-24-2005, 09:14 PM
crazy deals this deadline, but raptors made no moves oh well.

A_3, Bdiddy is garbage, we already got a PG.

The webber trade overall is kinda :confused: webber is a jump shooting PF thats needs the ball, but uh oh AI needs the ball 100% time tho, so chemistry is till an issue, but they do look scary on paper.

The Kings did awesome without Webber so they'll be fine, and they added some depth now too.

5hift
02-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by menace3
well i dont think Baron Davis will actually play for toronto because the fact is the raptors cant afford Baron Davis . hell maybe next year they will let go of chris bosh.

If TO's gm has any idea what he is doing he wont trade Bosh. In his second year bosh is really developing. He a garnet type player that wont blow you away with fancy moves or drop 40 points a night. But he works hard, gets you 20 points and 10 rebonds and a few blocks every night. Most importantly he plays defense and actually wants to get better, something Vince couldnt get a handle on. Keep in mind bosh had only spent 1 year in college so basicly TO is working with a kid only 3 years out of highschool who is still growing.

bigboom
02-24-2005, 09:58 PM
have you guys forgot that webber is injury prone? the guy gets injured once it comes down to crunch time, then he lets his team bail him out then he comes back for playoffs. he's like another vince...

menace3
02-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
have you guys forgot that webber is injury prone? the guy gets injured once it comes down to crunch time, then he lets his team bail him out then he comes back for playoffs. he's like another vince...

i agree but I like Webber better than Vince "INJURED" Carter .. Carter he's a weiner

BigDannyCool
02-25-2005, 01:50 AM
They are gonna center the team around bibby, not Peja

DelSoln
02-26-2005, 01:41 PM
The problem is that Kenny Thomas, Corliss Williamson, and Brian Skinner are not run and gun players. They are all bangers that have a little post game which doesn't suit Sacs offence at all.

DEREK57
03-02-2005, 04:32 PM
I dont think this is such a bad trade for either side, I most likely would have done it being either gm. Webber was not doing much in Sacramento he was overrated, and their team had gone stagnant. In terms of their offense, the three new players dont fit into the system that well, but they will add such much needed toughness down low. The Kings were always a fun team to watch, and played good, but now that their shooting had gone down a little, and they can't keep as many stars, the only way to stay a winning team is to get tough downlow.

As for Webber to philly, Webb is still a good player and should be able to help Iverson out. They were right in getting a big man/star, to support AI, though I dont think C Webb is necessarily the guy. Iverson throws up alot of shots, so I think a good rebounder inside would be valuable to clean up the mess, someone like Ben Wallace would have been nice in Philly I bet. But Webb is still a midrange shooter, and though hes not that touch, he can play downlow too. I think this trade should get Philly into a guarenteed playoff spot, and give them 1st in the Atlantic.