PDA

View Full Version : Calgary BMW or BMW Gallery

SuPhistiKatEd
02-24-2005, 01:40 PM
We purchased a BMW from Calgary BMW about a year ago. I am aware of the Calgary Crusaders against Calgary BMW webpage and the millions of bad comments against the dealership. Ever since then, we've been pretty skeptical of their service. We always feel unconfortable when we go there for service. The mechanics and service department people are sketchy and have a "I don't care" attitude about their customers. We feel like we are being ripped off, I know that's normal at any dealership, but this place really takes the cake. Don't even get me started on David "Schmoe." I was pretty ticked off when one of the techs decided to be a jerk and tighten the tire caps, so tight that I had to use a pair of pliers to get them off. They were excessively over-tightened. Is it just me, or do you always have to book an appointment 3 months in advance with them? I can call Brasso Nissan a week or two before and get in with no problems. There's just been too many problems (I won't go into detail) with them, and we can't really take the BS anymore.

My question to you guys is, is BMW Gallery better in terms of customer and vehicle service? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Weapon_R
02-24-2005, 01:42 PM
Unfortunately, they know that there is no competition, so they don't have to care. From what others have said, they are both owned by the same person :)

t-im
02-24-2005, 01:45 PM
It depends...

I've usually had no problem with either, and I can usually get any of my cars in semi right away...loaners is another story, but BMW Gallery is more then willing to rent me something for a day if they have none left. If it's anything else that doesn't require a service loaner (something that takes 2 or 3 hours) and I tell them I don't want to wait, and theres no loaners, and no shuttle, they get someone to drive me home. I goto BMW Gallery just because it's close to my house (over Calgary BMW). The people there are pretty attentive and nice about everything, and always wash my car (which isn't a big deal but that saves me time)

The one service guy I had problems with at BMW Gallery is gone so all is good. haha

But, both are owned by the same person, so it's generally the same...Some people I know who know the owner have said "i'd never buy a BMW from either place because he's such a crook (or something of that)"

my 2 cents

kerr
02-24-2005, 04:17 PM
I use BMW Gallery and have had no problems what so ever. Ive been there several times for both the major and minor service maintenance programs. They seem quite friendly and usually i book a week in advance. There usually have nice talent for front desk girls too.:thumbsup:

Kaos
02-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Im happy with Calgary BMW's service.
But thats because I have a couple friends who work there.
Maybe you take their attitude the wrong way? :dunno:
Maybe its the techinician you should be complaining about and not the entire dealership.
I mean, they did SELL you a car and you did happen to buy it.

bol
02-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Calgary BMW and BMW Gallery are the same business, just different locations and names. Same owner, same bullshit.

I go to BMW Gallery simply because it's closer.

cello
02-24-2005, 11:00 PM
in defence of dealerships the public see then as crooks but compare the service you get at a small shop to the knowledge that your dealer have of the car they sell and its justifiable why they might be a bit higher in price also genuine parts are used on your car at the dealer and usaully the dealer has no control over what the parts cost calgary bmw has always been good to me

bol
02-25-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by cello
the dealer has no control over what the parts cost

The parts costs are inflated 20-60% over list 99.9% of the time. It makes a big difference when you're looking at parts that are more than a $15 oil filter. Although I am sure most other brands dealers practice the same behavior.

max_boost
02-25-2005, 12:47 AM
I have had very good experiences in the parts, sales and service departments at Calgary BMW. It helps when the sales guy and technicians eat at my shop on a regular basis :D I had my E36 325 and E46 323 both serviced there.

As for Crowfoot, that's where I bought my current car, 330Ci from. C4S aka Malcolm is by far the nicest salesguy I've ever dealt with. He really went the extra mile.

I think every dealer has their issues with individual customers, you just can't please everyone. :dunno: People have bad days?

Anyway, I'd be happy to have my car service at either location.

jblitz101
02-25-2005, 01:01 AM
I purchased all my Bimmers at Calgary BMW and they have been very good to me so far. Everything was done on time and done right.

I use Jeremy Kosior and he's a wealth of knowledge and very easy to deal with.

However, I did notice that one of my side skirts was scratched right after I had brought the car for service.

The scratch is on the sideskirt just before the rear wheel opening, so I'm thinkin it was the arms for the hoist that scratched it. But of course, I can't prove it. Otherwise, it's been good.

John

SuPhistiKatEd
02-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Yea, I know who Jeremy is..nice fellow. He helped me when my remote key reset itself. Very outgoing.

Maybe I'm just being too fussy about the whole thing. There has good times, and there has been bad times and I really was not happy. I guess I'm blowing it all out of proportion. Indy was a great salesman, I really can't complain on the deal he gave us. I guess when you have a million customers waiting on you, it is hard to please everybody or be pleasant at the same time. But those Calgary Crusaders really cut them down, and I mean really down.

robpark
02-25-2005, 05:25 PM
I have used Calgary BMW for some things, and Nick O'Donnell is a nice guy; attentive and easy to get along with....

I have used Sheni's Auto-trend for service and have walked away pleased every time.

Good luck!

g-mcstud
02-25-2005, 08:23 PM
BMW Gallery has the best looking secretaries. That's all I know.:hitit:

LudeRoca
02-25-2005, 08:31 PM
My buddy got his bmw's front end re-done from there. I went with him cause he was having some insurence issues. They treated him great. They were very helpful. I thought there service was awsome.

2m0a0x2
02-26-2005, 01:10 AM
I go to Gallery because everytime I go to Calgary BMW, I get a sense that that place is falling apart. Everything is so messy. When I go to Gallery, they have awesome service and I usually don't have to book in advance. Actually if I drop my car off for problems, usually it's looked at by the afternoon.

SuPhistiKatEd
02-26-2005, 11:07 AM
They've outgrown that location, hence the reason why they're building a bigger location by IKEA. Sure they need a new location, but I strongly think Calgary needs another dealership. BMW sales are so high in this city.

bol
02-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Realize that Calgary BMW and BMW Gallery are owned by the same person...

Calgary does need another BMW dealership - but one owned by another independant party so that there is some competition!

nismodrifter
03-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Noticed a license plate frame while on the road today that said "Dilawri Auto Group - Regina" on a Mini.... which means that the same owner of Calgary BMW/BMW Gallery also runs the Mini/BMW dealership in Regina. Looks like this guy runs a monopoly in more than one city..

2m0a0x2
03-04-2005, 02:10 AM
Yeap that is true.

SUPHIS, are you serious that they're building ANOTHER dealership near ikea!??!?

t-im
03-04-2005, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by 2m0a0x2
Yeap that is true.

SUPHIS, are you serious that they're building ANOTHER dealership near ikea!??!?

I don't think he meant another dealer (to make it 3 in Calgary) but another to replace Calgary BMW. Calgary BMW is awfully small and not very pleasant inside.

2m0a0x2
03-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by t-im

I don't think he meant another dealer (to make it 3 in Calgary) but another to replace Calgary BMW. Calgary BMW is awfully small and not very pleasant inside.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

SuPhistiKatEd
03-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Calgary BMW is moving to a new location by IKEA, as they have overgrown their current location in Glendeer Circle. There will still be two BMW dealers in Calgary. It will not be called Calgary BMW when they move to their new location...I can't remember the name...but it will be much bigger and more accomodating. It's so packed in that lot...cars are all jammed up by the door...time for a change.

keroppi
03-17-2005, 01:09 AM
I bought my bimmer from BMW Gallery and their service is just great. Very nice and personal service I got from all depts there (parts and services). I really feel like somebody in there (comparing to how I was treated in GM dealerships and some Honda dealerships in town...)
On the other hand, I had a pretty bad impression on Calgary BMW though... I didn't buy anything from there, but from what I saw and encountered there, I don't really feel comfortable with the people down there.
Yes, I know both dealerships owned by the same owner... but well, as a small customer there, I don't really care (and I'm sure that owner wouldn't really care about me anyway) :P

t-im
03-17-2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by g-mcstud
BMW Gallery has the best looking secretaries. That's all I know.:hitit:

Not anymore....:barf:

benyl
03-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Noticed a license plate frame while on the road today that said "Dilawri Auto Group - Regina" on a Mini.... which means that the same owner of Calgary BMW/BMW Gallery also runs the Mini/BMW dealership in Regina. Looks like this guy runs a monopoly in more than one city..

It is a family owned business. They own Calgary Honda in the Automall as well. I think that they own a few more dealerships.

interlude
04-05-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm happy with Calgary BMW, but I went to the Gallery today (because its only a 2 min drive) and I only needed an oil change. As soon as I walked in... the Service Manager (Yes.. the manager!) came up to me and asked how I was doing and how he could help me. I told him I had an appointment to change my oil, and he asked if I would like some coffee or water, I said water and he brought me an aquafina bottle. I would have to admit, Gallery has top notch service, all his employees were busy or were not around, so he took it in his own hands to talk to the customers that were dropping off their cars.

They also cleaned my car, and all the water/powerade bottles I had under the seats, they picked them up.

A+++++ For Gallery :thumbsup:

Wish the people I knew that worked at Calgary would go to Gallery, its more convenient for me.

maxboost_R
04-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Kaos
Im happy with Calgary BMW's service.
But thats because I have a couple friends who work there.
Maybe you take their attitude the wrong way? :dunno:
Maybe its the techinician you should be complaining about and not the entire dealership.
I mean, they did SELL you a car and you did happen to buy it.

who are your friends who work there? On another note I work at calgary bmw both dealerships are great and a good company to work for

djh
02-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Bought a 2006 330i from Calgary BMW. A/C did not work from the beginning. Service manager insults us by asking if we were sure we could manage the sophisticated electronics that BMW provides. Took to Edmonton BMW, took about 5 minutes of them checking the BMW service bulletins to find the problem. Ordered the parts and A/C works fine. Installed Calgary BMW recommended 3M. Many splits, chips etc. BMW Calgary asks if we are getting the car wash wand too close? It's very obvious they are from rock chips. Took to aftermarket place that had installed much more superior product on our previous 7 vehicles and paid to have inferior 3M removed and installed better 3M - no more chips. Door handles sticking (service bulletin says to replace) Calgary BMW orders the wrong door handles. Another 2 months of waiting (Didn't mention the weeks/months of waiting on all Calgary appointments). Never have to wait with Edmonton BMW. Comfort Access - cannot stop the side mirrors from folding in when locking. Was told to wait for software upgrade - up to 6 months - still waiting.....
Bought a 335i prior to Nov 26 RIV changes. Took to Calgary Gallery dealership for warranty work and got the "frying the electrical" story due to changing driving lights and was quoted between 4000 - 6500 for modifications. Also was told we needed the latest software upgrade. Mentioned how we were waiting for that very same software upgrade on our 330i. Gave us our car keys back minus the $200 original charge. Took back to import shop that turned the running lights on. Had BMW certified software. Took car back to the US warranty work no problem also said they would be happy to do warranty work on our Canadian 2006 330i. If you have a problem, BMW Edmonton is your best bet. We used to promote BMW to everyone, now we tell everyone run away as fast and as far as you can. BMW Canada - never again!!!

vengie
02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
both owned by the same guy... as well as calgary honda, hyndai gallery, crowfoot mini, and bentley. guy is a complete asshole, i worked for calgary honda...

smontyLS1
02-24-2008, 05:32 PM
I dont know how valid it is to say the techs at the dealerships are so much better than private shops. I've worked at dealerships before and I'm at a private shop now, I like it way better. if you have an odd problem at a dealership they will never give it to their most experienced guys because you will never agree to pay 5 hours diagnosis on it. so your car with a weird issue will go to the guy they pay the least because at 16 bucks an hour they can afford to have him tinker around for a while and ask the licensed guys questions.

they do send them out for training once in a while if the dealership is good, at stadium nissan they would send 2 or 3 people to every session and there would only be 6-8 people there from southern alberta.

You will still get guys from blaskin and lane and canadian tire being hired by bmw. they will have a 27 bay shop. where do you think they are going to get the mechanics?

I'm at shenis autotrend right now. I left land rover back in august. Its far better service for the customer I think, private shops have faces. and we require a good reputation to keep business coming. I am going back to university this fall because I am sick of this industry but when my car isn't under warranty I will find a good honest private shop to have it serviced unless they will let me just do it myself.

Bimmer88
02-26-2008, 09:19 PM
It's Tony Dallari or w.e. however you spell his name that owns em ALL!...

He doesn't care... cause he's always in Mexico doing jack all and loaded beyond the riches...

We should team up and open a BMW dealership dealing great service.

I honestly have had HORRIBLE experience.... One of their service guys told me once that he could care less if someone drives a BMW. Because he said,

"They (As in the Driver) think just because they drive a BMW they get have it all and everything handed to them on a silver platter? Ha, no...

Therefore sometimes I give them their own medicine, and don't care."

Took me about... 1 month to book in advance just so I can get my power steering fixed. NOW you think it'd be right away but noooo obviously power steering isn't important enough for them to take a look at. God... w/o P/S you can't really drive... its very difficult in Bimmers to drive w/o P/S.

AND

As a loaner goes... ha... yeah right!

Its because I didn't buy the vehicle from Calgary BMW they WILL NOT offer me a loaner... BUT they will offer like 3 bucks off a day to day rental... -_-

cocoabrova
02-26-2008, 10:58 PM
I had a problem the last time I booked with Calgary BMW. Basically they had to keep my X over the wknd. (it was a Friday appt.) for an oil change/diagnose no heat from vents/re-adjust rear air susp. to match front height after getting it lowered via DIS in the rear and springs in the front). Obviously I wasn't impressed when I got the call @ 1pm (I dropped it off @ 7am) that they weren't going to be able to even look @ my car that day, but also that they wouldn't get to it til Monday, even though I had booked this appt. a month in advance. After some ranting & raving, I agreed to bring it back Monday and they actually went ahead and fixed the heat prob @ no charge (cable came off the temp wheel in the center vent) AND they evened out my rear air susp., on top of doing the oil change. Because of the effort they made to make things right, I will continue to go to them, if I had to choose between the 2 dealerships in Calgary:thumbsup: