PDA

View Full Version : Attn: VW Owners

hockeybronx
02-24-2005, 10:24 PM
So today I went to Southcentre Fine Cars for my routine maintenance. I didn't think it would be a big project since I change my own oil, and replaced my own spark plugs which would have needed to be done at this time.

However I still walked into a bill of $722.92:eek:

My question is... where else can I go to get quality service and maintenance done to my car without having to bend over as soon as I walk in?

Here is the breakdown of what I got done:
- performed full system scan, replaced pollen filter, checked brake pad thickness: $103.42

- Brake flush: $94.33

- Power steering flush: $115.43

- 4 Cylinder coolant flush: $145.20

- Engine Flush: $178.09

Total Labor Costs: $391.60
Total Parts Costs: $244.87

Does anybody have any suggestions of where else I can take my car for proactive routine maintenance?

JordanLotoski
02-24-2005, 10:25 PM
ouch.....i feel your pain, my oil changes are 191.00:nut:

nismodrifter
02-24-2005, 10:29 PM
$103 to scan for codes, change pollen filter and check your brakes............OUCH!!!! gawd thats a waste of cash

post on NVD and you'll get lots of replies/experiences with various dealers in Calgary (newveedub.com)

Weapon_R
02-24-2005, 10:32 PM
And the engine flush is basically a $5 bottle they drop into your engine and run it for 5 mins, drain the oil and replace it.

Actually, if you know how to change your own oil, you could have done everything yourself for about $100.

Ferio_vti
02-24-2005, 10:33 PM
What's an engine flush??

Personally, I do all those myself, cept for the system scan.

vietdood
02-24-2005, 10:39 PM
isn't an engine flush the same as an engine oil flush walmart does?

Ben
02-24-2005, 10:58 PM
lol, thats what happens when you go to the dealership man, Thats like paying full retail at Sport Chek.

shoulda spent 100 bucks on a Bentley book for your car and done it in an afternoon.

Weapon_R
02-24-2005, 10:59 PM
An engine flush is where they put some chemicals into the engine, run it for 5-15 minutes, and drain it with your oil. Apparently, it's supposed to help keep your engine strong, but i've only done it once and didn't really see anything different.

CalgaryB5
02-24-2005, 11:30 PM
:eek: WOW... shop around next time man.:cry:

lsc2g
02-24-2005, 11:35 PM
dude i'm almost positive your on our NVD boards so check out our local sponsors like DNF motors who can work on your car for ALOT cheaper and you'll get the same quality work.

Khyron
02-24-2005, 11:57 PM
And a lot of us (like myself and lsc2g above) have the same scanner tool as the dealer so we can do it for free.

Brake flush is apparently kind of a pain to do by yourself - I just bought the bleeder thing from princess auto for 10 bucks so will try it this season sometime. Pollen filter is about 30 and you can change it yourself in about 5-10 mins.

Coolant and engine flush sound like you got hosed, but maybe there was more to it? Our non glycol coolant is super expensive, but still...

(edit - no way that should have been 3 hours labour though)

Khyron

Ben
02-25-2005, 12:15 AM
do you guys have Vag Coms?! Hook a brother up. I have the software on my laptop but no cable to check. I get CEL's that go away, only when it's below zero and at around 80km/h, thinking it's an o2 sensor giving me a hard time. Would like to see wtf the computer says is wrong.

Khyron
02-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Ben
do you guys have Vag Coms?! Hook a brother up. I have the software on my laptop but no cable to check. I get CEL's that go away, only when it's below zero and at around 80km/h, thinking it's an o2 sensor giving me a hard time. Would like to see wtf the computer says is wrong.

Doh - could have scanned it when you were over, I have it on my work laptop. Can meet up at lunch or you can come by the office if you want. I'm pretty sure I have the uber cable that does most vw/audis.

Khyron

hockeybronx
02-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Yeah I guess the problem with most of this stuff is that I didn't know before when and in how long it needed done.

These labor costs are complete bullshit.

In one hour, the mechanic probably works on 5 or 6 different vehicles and charges them all the full hour. So really the shop says it's $90.00 per hour of labor, but it's really $450.00 per hour of labor.

I'll pay closer attention to the maintenance in my Hayes Manual, and I'll do as much as possible by myself.

Thanks guys!

Altezza
02-26-2005, 04:39 AM
Man, that's more expensive than service for the IS300!

R-Audi
02-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Ben, I have the shareware VAG, (and possibly full version today..)
You could borrow the cable whenever, talk to my brother

ehos
02-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Dealerships make half of their pure profits from their dis-service departments.

There's only a few things a stealership is good for...

1) Factory (free) work.
2) Parts
3) Stuff that no other shop will touch (for rare, import cars or something that's just totally knackered)

I've always owned newer cars (1-4 years old etc) and NEVER break those rules. Never used rule 3 (ever).

PS That 'engine flush' is a total ripoff. Maybe its' just a typo? It's just too outrageous, 175 for an oil change?? Damn.