PDA

View Full Version : AMP and Capacitor Question

chevyman925
02-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Ok so I am building a new system. I am not into comps just want good bass for the rap and all other music. I am thinking about Solo Barics 10" because of the space limitations. Is there much of a difference between L5's and L7. I am looking at the Phoenix Gold R15.0:1 1,500 watt mono-block class D Amplifier (Octane) or the Kicker SX900.2 900 WATT 2 CHANNEL?

Other question is with one of the other amps I am alo running a JL 300/2 amp and a MTX 2 channel. Whap type of capacitor should I use.

Ohhh by the way this is for a boat. If anyone knows boats it is a Mastercraft XSTAR. For those who don't know boats it has a chevy suburban engine but less cargo space.

If any of the stuff I have mentioned sux please let me know I have not purchessed anything yet, you will not offend me

thanks
phall

spike98
02-25-2005, 01:51 AM
For boat applications i would suggest using marine equipment. The marine line of products have rust resistant coatings and specially treated cones. The amps are fine and i would suggest the PG amp. Thats a good amp!

As for as the cap i would skip it and put the money into good battery. You will need the extra off engine playing time for when you are fishing, skinny dipping ect. A good deep cycle gel cell from optima would be choice. If you have voltage problems then look for a better alternator. If it is a chevy engine it should be easy and cheap to find a good one. You shouldnt need more than say 120A alt.

This is all my opinion of course. Caps are a marketing waste of cash.

cman
02-25-2005, 02:15 AM
i would stick to boat audio also. clarion makes some pretty good shit.
btw thats a sick boat? im guessing your a fellow wakeboarder too eh?
to bad you ilve in texas

chevyman925
02-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Yes I am a fellow wakeboarder. I don't want to use marine stuff becasue I can get more power and better selection with car audio stuff. Check back with my original post and see if you guys know nay problems with the equipment.

Thnaks for the info about the battery. I am purchassing an optima in a few weeks. I just want to make sure that the system would not need a capacitor, you know just for extra measures against that PG 1500 comsuming power.

Also I am not really worried about the rust factor casue I am not on the coast and I am mounting my amps on boards that can be removed with ease so that they will not be stolen or affected by moisture when not using the boat.

thanks for replying. If anyone has any usefull info I would appreciate a reply. Thanks
Preston

Mad$ella
02-26-2005, 03:16 PM
First, Solobarics are AWSOME! With the right box they will give you some rediculous output. :thumbsup:

Secondly, i agree marine equipment would probally be a better choice.

As for the differances between L5 and L7, the L7 is a much more powerful sub, with much more power handling. BUT... if you are going 10" maybe the L5 is a better choice. I have a 15" L7 and I wouldnt dream of buying a 15" L5! :thumbsdow If you are going to go big, like the Solobaric was originally desinged for, then there is no choice you have to go L7, it was the original anyways, then Stillwater Designs (Kicker) introduced the lower power-handling model to apple to people who had less money, becuase the original (L7) was very expensive.

Thats my 2 cents

spike98
02-26-2005, 03:24 PM
I am pretty sure that the current L5 is the older L7. They just changed the name to the L5 and created a newer L7.

chevyman925
02-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. When you talk about the right box. I am building my own becasue space is the main thing. I am going with a sealed box. Will that be ok or should I go with a ported box