PDA

View Full Version : Omega-3, Omega-6

1badPT
02-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Anyone targeting a specific level of these in their diets? I'm thinking about adding flax seed oil (omega-3) and sesame oil (omega-6) to my morning shake. Anyone have any suggestions on better sources of these EFA's?

I read an article in that fitness magazine thats in Second Cup and they said many trainers are megadosing these EFA's to get their athletes to increase mass quickly without the side effects of other quick mass methods (ie juice).

davidI
02-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Tuna Tuna Tuna. I dunno, lately I haven't been a fan of supplementing anything but if you can afford it then flax and sesame are the way to go.

rahim
02-25-2005, 04:20 PM
i wouldn't count on to much extra muscle gain from these supps (shouldn't even be compared to juice) , taking them would be more likely to increase overall health (which may help you gain muscle) and supposedly help you burn fat faster (which may make you look like you have more muscle)

You best source of omega 3 is still fish oil though, i was aiming for 5-10g's (2 caps with each meal if possible) of fish oil a day and 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil (one in the morning and one at night)

Wildcat
02-25-2005, 06:01 PM
bah, i just use alot of extra virgin olive oil in my stirfrys. EFA's are important but its really nothing to loose sleep over.

TrevorK
02-28-2005, 11:49 AM
I supplement with Udo's - pretty much agreed upon as the best EFA mix - it contains Omega 3/6/9 in a specific ratio.

Wildcat
03-01-2005, 12:18 AM
im using alot of seasme seed oil now with my chicken and its pretty good. i was thinking about walnut or almond oil too, nutritionally the seasme oil looked best to me and i think the others wouldve tasted too strong. and i couldnt find any flax seed oil at safeway :dunno:

1badPT
03-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Flax seed oil is sold in black bottles and you'll find it either in a cooler or if you're lucky you can find a brand on the shelf. Superstore has a good flax oil in their supplement aisle, that doesn't need refridgeration until you open the bottle.

TrevorK
03-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT
Flax seed oil is sold in black bottles and you'll find it either in a cooler or if you're lucky you can find a brand on the shelf. Superstore has a good flax oil in their supplement aisle, that doesn't need refridgeration until you open the bottle.

I think it might also be worth mentioning that these oils are senstive to light are they not?

1badPT
03-01-2005, 12:00 PM
yes - even in the black bottle and in the fridge, the oil is good for about a month before it goes rancid.

when exposed to light, flax oil develops radicals, and heat causes the oil to become rancid quicker.

Wildcat
03-01-2005, 12:09 PM
^is this true for only flax seed oil? what about the sesame seed oil i got?

1badPT
03-01-2005, 12:29 PM
yeah for the most part this applies to flax seed oil. sesame oil is a lot more stable.

Tyler883
03-04-2005, 01:47 PM
I dont throw out my peanut butter until it goes bitter.....

And,I hate the idea of throwing out good flax oil.

I recommend diliberately letting some flax oil go rancid, so you know what it tastes and smells like.Just a little bit on your finger won't hurt you.

GorG
03-06-2005, 04:47 PM
hmmm i end up using omega 3, 6, and 9 thats just whats in my caps, i know what 3, and 6 do but what does omega 9 do?

TrevorK
03-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by GorG
hmmm i end up using omega 3, 6, and 9 thats just whats in my caps, i know what 3, and 6 do but what does omega 9 do?

The only man you need to talk to about EFA's:

http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend.htm

Start there, if you don't find his results search his site.