PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion Fix Up

robpark
02-25-2005, 05:33 PM
I am starting the long, and likely expensive process of having my '94 325 IS overhauled....I want it like new in the next year or so.....

Anyways, I have already had some parts replaced, more getting replaced in March (tranny cooler, fog light, air dam). On top of this, there is some minor corrosion that I want buffed out/gotten rid of. It hasn't gone throught the metal yet, and is still very small in size. Can anyone suggest a good place to have this done, and a ballpark figure for how much it will cost? No panels have to be replaced, you can hardly see the corrosion. I just want to fix it before it becomes a BIG, not to mention noticeable, problem.
Nick at BMW Calgary told me that they own T&T Honda, and that is where BMWs go for body work. I am hesitant to use T&T because I have NEVER heard anything good about them, on Hondas nor BMWs.

Thanks!

Weapon_R
02-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Chances are, it's already big. You just can't see it yet.

To properly fix it, however, you will need to cut out the panel that you are repairing, weld on a new piece of sheetmetal, and paint over it. Not an easy or cheap process, nor is it guaranteed to stop the rust.

zhulander
02-25-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm pretty sure T&T honda sources their work to Contemporary Coachworks.

jblitz101
02-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by robpark
I am starting the long, and likely expensive process of having my '94 325 IS overhauled....I want it like new in the next year or so.....

Anyways, I have already had some parts replaced, more getting replaced in March (tranny cooler, fog light, air dam). On top of this, there is some minor corrosion that I want buffed out/gotten rid of. It hasn't gone throught the metal yet, and is still very small in size. Can anyone suggest a good place to have this done, and a ballpark figure for how much it will cost? No panels have to be replaced, you can hardly see the corrosion. I just want to fix it before it becomes a BIG, not to mention noticeable, problem.
Nick at BMW Calgary told me that they own T&T Honda, and that is where BMWs go for body work. I am hesitant to use T&T because I have NEVER heard anything good about them, on Hondas nor BMWs.

Thanks!

Actually, Calgary BMW has the same owner as Calgary Honda and they are right beside each other. T and T Honda is in the NE and is not in any way, shape or form connected to the Dilawri Group of companies.

I should know, I worked for both companies.

JE

robpark
02-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Whoops, yeah....Calgary Honda..... Sorry....
Either way....I am looking for ways to take care of it before it becomes a problem....

I have the paint and clearcoat to seal......but I want to do more than just paint over it and then seal with clearcoat....

I figure professional workers can do much better than I....

Rob.