PDA

View Full Version : Pre-workout Warmups

hockeybronx
02-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, I realize the importance of warming up, getting your blood flowing, your muscles warm, and your heartrate up before lifting. I'm just looking for some more ideas of what people will do.

Here are a variety of things I currently choose from:

- jump rope
- jogging on the spot
- punching bag work
- vertical stretch jumps
- knee dips
- side to side stretch jumps

What does everyone else do?

~Leah~
02-25-2005, 11:06 PM
I usually just head on the bike for 5-10 mins and do arm circles and stuff while I'm sitting there... but that's cuz I'm a wimp and I can't punch a bag, otherwise, I'd do that. lol

shakalaka
02-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Nahh It aint about being a wimp. Its just that you dont like it. I dont anyways, I just do some running on the treadmill for about 10 mins, and then slow walking for about 5. Stretches sometimes if I feel like it.

~Leah~
02-26-2005, 12:56 AM
Actually as a personal trainer, I advise against static stretching in the warm up. All it does is cools your muscles down and you can basically throw that 10 mins on the treadmill in the garbage. Your muscles will be warm, so there's no need to put the heartrate back down to normal resting... go ahead and do some arm circles or something but keep moving. If you feel it necessary to stretch, do a bit in between sets or something.

EG STyLeZ
02-26-2005, 05:07 PM
i'll usually just hop on the bike for 10 minutes to get the heartrate up and the blood flowing.

when i actually start on the workout, i'll first do like 20 reps with just the bar.

davidI
02-26-2005, 05:47 PM
I just warm up with light weights, targeting the muscles I'll be working. Sometimes I'll hop on a bike for a few minutes but usually I'm faced with time constraints so I try to be quick and don't have much time for cardio.

hockeybronx
02-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by davidI
I just warm up with light weights, targeting the muscles I'll be working. Sometimes I'll hop on a bike for a few minutes but usually I'm faced with time constraints so I try to be quick and don't have much time for cardio.

Yeah I've done this a few times. It feels super weird especially when I'll throw like 20 pounds on and do leg extensions, it's amazing how muscle memory works!

Wildcat
02-26-2005, 07:00 PM
i just do a light warm up set at the begining of the first 2 exercises i do that day.

Dave P
02-26-2005, 07:25 PM
a 6ixer of canadian

r7
02-28-2005, 10:48 PM
I never stretch or "warmup" before a workout

stretch after

hockeybronx
03-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by r7
I never stretch or "warmup" before a workout

stretch after

I agree that stretching cold muscles is not good, but you should definetely do a warm-up before your workout to get your heart rate up, increase your blood flow, and thus warm up your muscle fibers.

~Leah~
03-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

I agree that stretching cold muscles is not good, but you should definetely do a warm-up before your workout to get your heart rate up, increase your blood flow, and thus warm up your muscle fibers.
Yup exactly

WhiteNikes
03-01-2005, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
I can't punch a bag, otherwise, I'd do that. lol
Do there be a place at the U of C where you could punch a bag at?