PDA

View Full Version : Karate Rocks

FinalFantasy
02-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Does anyone here do karate?
Well, I work out at this great place in NE Calgary called Al-Taqwa Karate Inc. They teach karate for men and women seperate and they are planning on having kickboxing. They also have yoga classes and a sauna room as well as showers etc etc. They have a small cafe and it is pretty cool.

Anyone know any other place?

Carfanman
02-27-2005, 03:08 PM
I go to a karate class, its actually freestyle martial arts, a combo of karate, kickboxing, and boxing, and there are no katas, you just learn the moves and put them together in whatever way you think works best in the situation.

I really like the way they teach it, and its definettly really good. I think martial arts classes are great, and its good because its a great cardio and weight workout in one.

Skyline_Addict
02-27-2005, 10:28 PM
not sure of any other places, but i suggest taking aikido.

Khyron
02-27-2005, 11:16 PM
It all depends on what you want it for. I've been doing jiu-jitsu for about six years, which is extremely practical in the real world but there's not really any decent sparring. Now I'm focusing on Iaido (non-sparring sword work) and a bit of Arnis (stick fighting). Go to classes and watch and find the one that suits you.

Khyron

HK2NR
02-28-2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
It all depends on what you want it for. I've been doing jiu-jitsu for about six years, which is extremely practical in the real world but there's not really any decent sparring. Now I'm focusing on Iaido (non-sparring sword work) and a bit of Arnis (stick fighting). Go to classes and watch and find the one that suits you.

Khyron

Hey khryon, where in calgary do they teach iaido at?

Khyron
02-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Can pm me for details - it's public but not advertised. A lot of the Akido schools do some boken and jo work as well.

Khyron

HK2NR
02-28-2005, 09:20 PM
awesome i'll pm you soon, i always thought it was non-existent in calgary :D

Wildcat
03-01-2005, 12:24 AM
all the guys i work with are mixed fighters for the most part. ju-jitsu for a ground and mutai kickboxing for standing. also encorporating other styles to round themselves out, like judo and olympic wrestling. i dunno about karate, it seems more recreational than practical :dunno: , good exercise tho im sure.

cityhunter2501
03-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
all the guys i work with are mixed fighters for the most part. ju-jitsu for a ground and mutai kickboxing for standing. also encorporating other styles to round themselves out, like judo and olympic wrestling. i dunno about karate, it seems more recreational than practical :dunno: , good exercise tho im sure.
:werd:
im about to start taking bjj and muay thai starting march and can't wait. im going at BDB Martial Arts.

bjj + aikido seems good too

2000_SI
03-01-2005, 02:29 PM
I used to do karate, and it is a decent workout, but it has no real life applications. Ive been doing Taekwon-do for about 9 and a bit years now, and I highly recomend it. It doesnt focus a lot on punching, mostly jsut kicks, but its a great workout and it has some of the best and most fun sparring matches I think you can get in a martial art.

Just mho

SUPRAPHAT
03-01-2005, 02:53 PM
I've been really interested in doing jeet kune do but I can't seem to find a reputable teacher in this city, does anyone know any good instructors for jeet kune do or is anyone taking this class?

Thanks

Jason

/////AMG
03-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Used to do Freestyle Martial Arts, I quit cause of school :banghead: :banghead: Bad move, now I'm too lazy to get back into it, I would if I was still in Calgary.

Lasz
03-06-2005, 01:17 AM
kyokushin karate for me

Tyler883
03-06-2005, 02:26 AM
I studied 'kickthemintheballs whiletheyaretryingtoshow offthierfancymartialartsmoves'

it works pretty good, I've never had anyone get the best of me.

NismoR
03-06-2005, 02:36 AM
this might be kinda off topic but i was wondering if their is any schools that teach samurai kinda things....would bushido be considered that kinda thing

joseph
03-06-2005, 02:45 AM
Bushido isn't a martial art its more of a samurai's principles and code of ethics :thumbsup:. I'm not sure if you'd be interested in ninjutsu but you could try http://www.ittacanada.com/ninjutsu.php

NismoR
03-06-2005, 02:47 AM
i guesse im just looking for somthing where you would use swords.... haha

NismoR
03-06-2005, 02:48 AM
and spar with them kinda thing

joseph
03-06-2005, 03:04 AM
Then you'd probably wanna learn kendo or iaido theres this school as well http://www.calgarykendo.ca/

Never tried that one but I've heard its pretty good

Khyron
03-06-2005, 03:12 AM
Kendo is very intense sparring - more of a sport, but as close to real sword fighting as you'll probably get.

Iaido uses what you might call a katana, but it's formal drawing and katas, usually from kneeling.

Definately check out kendo - sounds like a good match.

Khyron

Charon
03-08-2005, 01:58 AM
Urban Combat Tactical Training Center (http://www.progressivecombatacademy.com/)
Been training this Jeet Kune Do based self defence for years. I feel bar none the best street self defence. No rules, no weight catagories. Its whatever works to get you out of an altercation.

Training involves multiple opponents, opponents with knifes, sticks, etc...

ProjectR
03-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by joseph
Then you'd probably wanna learn kendo or iaido theres this school as well http://www.calgarykendo.ca/

Never tried that one but I've heard its pretty good

word...a friend of mine was doing kendo, said the training was pretty good. i think it's pretty sword training for samurai's (but with wooden bamboo swords, they really hurt!)

ecstasy_civic
03-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

:werd:
BJJ and Muay Thai OWN, I do greco roman a few times a month now too, but, dude

Karate, cardio and fun would be all that I think one could get out of it???

MMA is definatley the way to go if your wanting to learn defence/offence.