PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of a lease

/////AMG
02-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Ok, so some of you have probably gone through it by selling it to someone who wanted to take over the lease.

But what if you have very short notice and are leaving the country? We asked if we can take it with us and still pay monthly, to a dealership in the country we are moving, or to wherever they want us to. But they said no.

Now, I've heard people have just left the vehicle at the dealership and not coming back for it. Haven't heard what happens after that. But obviously if you leave the country and have nothing left in the city you left (like house or anything) they can't put anything on you, except maybe just having bad credit.

Anyone here work in a dealership and has had this happened to them? I'd like to know what happens if a leased car was just left at the dealership before the lease was over.

benyl
02-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Well, just leaving it at the dealership won't help. They don't own the car and really have nothing to do with it.

The leasing company owns the car. In your case, it is Chrysler Credit (or whatever).

The best way to do it is to live up to your end of the bargain. Pay it out and sell the van. You may come back to Canada someday, do you really want bad credit when you come back?

Have you asked a dealership to buy it from you? It will cost you some money.

/////AMG
02-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Yea, of course they'll buy it, but after we've paid off all the payments. True about the coming back to Canada, but after 5-7 years isn't everything wiped clear?

I know this can't be the first time for a dealership to have this problem, I can't see why they wouldn't let someone take the car overseas especially when they have many other dealerships around the country. Oh well, just wondering about my first post, thanks though.

69cougar
02-26-2005, 12:26 PM
Just take it anyway, If it is the US all they care about are the numbers due to NAFTA, Take it there and then bring it back if needed to turn it in

1badPT
02-26-2005, 01:05 PM
http://www.leasebusters.com/default.asp