PDA

View Full Version : Compustar Upgrade Confusion

RSX_TypeS
02-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Im confused and was hoping someone here could help. I recently purchased a 1WAM-AS Compustar (Remote Start/Alarm Combo). I purchased this base model because I was told I could upgrade later for a 2Way. Well I went back to upgrade and the shop said i could go with the 2WFM-AS, but I want the 2W900FM_AS (because of the vibrating alert), but they said that the brain was different between the models so i would be unable to upgrade to the 2W900FM-AS. Is this true? I though someone in here said once before that all compustar brains are the same and all one needs to do is swap antenna/remotes and the base model can be upgraded to any other level.
Please someone clear this up for me.

offroaderdodge
02-27-2005, 04:12 PM
You should send strugari a message,he seems knowledgable on the compustar products,or send compustar an e-mail and the will confirm whether its possible or not.good luck.

Strugari
02-28-2005, 08:32 AM
I do believe that the Compustar systems use the same brain. The 4200 series module can be upgraded by changing the antenna and the transmitters. You could log on to the compustar site and ask the question to the techs there to be certain. I have not done any of the 900 series so I am not 100% sure on the interchange.
www.compustar.org

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Tony2
02-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Yes you can upgrade no problem, the upgrade package consists of a 2-way antenna, and a 2-way remote. Takes all of 10 minutes (TOPS) to plug in new antenna and program remote and your on your way. Your most likely to find the "8000" version in Alberta which looks and performs the same as the "900" just operates on a different frequency.

Any Authorized Compustar dealer can do this for you.....

T2

RSX_TypeS
03-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks alot. I'm having the upgrade done this afternoon. In your opinion how do you think compustar compares to other names like Viper?

Strugari
03-01-2005, 02:13 PM
I sell both and they are both good brands.
My opinion anyway:D

RSX_TypeS
03-01-2005, 03:34 PM
The compustar seemed to have a better looking remote and the range was very nice. Since you sell both Im assumming you work/own a car audio store - do you see anyone bringing them back with any type of manufacturer defects or any other warranty issues? What is the battery life like for the LCD remotes - i heard from someone else that they (the remotes) go through batteries quick...is that true?

Strugari
03-01-2005, 07:14 PM
The compustar transmitters have given some problems, not many, but a few. The battery life depends on the usuage of course, but look at replacing the battery every three months or so on the Compustar.
The Viper (2 way) chews up batteries a little faster than the Compustar.

offroaderdodge
03-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Good to know,gary,i sell/install black widow,becoming a little disappointed,though.i would guess the compustar would eat batteries if set on auto,if that model has that feature,i installd one for a buddy,was a slick unit-with auto-arming when you walk away.

Strugari
03-01-2005, 10:16 PM
They use a AAA battery so cost is not a big issue. There are a lot more functions available on the Compustar than there are on the Viper.

Chiggles
03-09-2005, 12:53 AM
Auto-arm/disarm is probably what's sucking up the juice on the battery since you can see the transmission icon blink every few seconds. I had my Compustar unit installed in November, and the battery guage on the display indicates that I've only used a quarter of the life so far and a buddy at work has only replaced the battery in his about 3 times over the last 2 years. Neither of us use the auto arm/disarm feature, so I'm sure you'll get way more life out of your battery if you just manually arm/disarm instead.