PDA

View Full Version : loosening screws and bolts

Speed_69
02-27-2005, 09:51 PM
i was going to replace my tailights but two of the bolts just don't seem to want to come off. i tried spraying wd-40 on them but they still don't want to come off..any ideas that can help me?

DuPont
02-27-2005, 09:56 PM
10mm? just reef on it. or use a 3/8" dr. ratchet for more leverage. Those are just dinky little nuts dude.

cman
02-27-2005, 10:12 PM
i had one bitch of a bolt, 10mm also, on my water pump i was replacing yesterday. the little bastard wouldnt budge. in the end after several people yanking on it, it finally came lose.
just use as much leverage as possible, bang it, whatever you can.
eventually it will give.

djayz
02-27-2005, 10:15 PM
leverage is key get a big pipe to put around the handle of your wrench and itll loosen no problem

canadian_hustla
02-27-2005, 10:18 PM
if you strip the bolt, you can always pick up a deformed nut loosener from Canadian Tire or something, I had a similar problem the s.o.b would not come off and after trying numerous times it was stripped. The loosener worked wonders.

BlackArcher101
02-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Best to use a rust penetrator and wait for a while.
Otherwise, if you use leverage and larger forces, you risk shearing it right off (and then you are screwed).

So get some rust stuff, let it soak, and you'll have no problem. Use some anti-seize compound when putting it back on, just in case you need to take it apart again.

Speed_69
02-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Best to use a rust penetrator and wait for a while.
Otherwise, if you use leverage and larger forces, you risk shearing it right off (and then you are screwed).

So get some rust stuff, let it soak, and you'll have no problem. Use some anti-seize compound when putting it back on, just in case you need to take it apart again.

what is some rust stuff i could use then?
i was just thinking spraying some wd-40 again and letting it soak overnight instead of just leaving it for a minute

Rockski
02-27-2005, 10:37 PM
wd 40 and working it best you can is probably the best idea, that and throw a snipe on it (djayz)

ryder_23
02-28-2005, 12:45 AM
For leverage, use a big torque bar, those worked great for my suspension bolts, but not sure about a small.. Let it soak in wd 40 for a while too, and the rust stuff works well as well.

GTS Jeff
02-28-2005, 01:31 AM
wd40 kinda sucks for siezed and rusted bolts. liquid wrench is better, and even better is super expensive penetrating fluid.

as everyone has said, since its a super tiny bolt, maybe just let the shit soak and try to use bangs rather than insane leverage.