Date: Sat Feb 26 10:36:09 2005
Subject: Homicide - further information

-----BEGIN MD5 -----------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------
CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE

CALGARY POLICE SERVICE MEDIA RELEASE

The Calgary Police Service is requesting the publics’
assistance regarding Calgary's fifth homicide of 2005.

On Saturday, February 26th, 2005, at approximately 12:50
a.m., the Calgary Police Service was called to the 1100 block
of 17 Ave SW, in relation to gunshots being heard in the
area.

Upon arrival, police and EMS personnel were directed by
witnesses to a bar in the area and determined that an adult
male was deceased. Witnesses at the scene provided
information about an altercation that occurred between two
groups of people.

John Pheng, 23 years of age, of Calgary, died as a result of
injuries sustained in the altercation. The cause of death is
being withheld for investigative purposes.

Calgary Police Homicide Unit has called upon the Community
Response Team to assist with this investigation.

-30-

max_boost
02-28-2005, 12:58 AM
The escalating violence, possibly revenge motivated is getting pretty scary. I just hope I'm not in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Ben
02-28-2005, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
The escalating violence, possibly revenge motivated is getting pretty scary. I just hope I'm not in the wrong place at the wrong time.

word word word word word.

wrong place at the wrong time seriously sucks ass, catching stray bullets is nobodies friend.

nismodrifter
02-28-2005, 01:02 AM
stay in your houses people, this shit is getting too stupid

t-im
02-28-2005, 01:03 AM
hmm, yeah a friend of mine was there that night and wanted me to go down for drinks - good thing I got lazy and didn't wanna drive back to downtown

jaysas_63
02-28-2005, 01:06 AM
cocky stupid kids..and guns is a very dangerous combination

guy was only 23 yrs old...what a waste of a life......

T-Dubbs
02-28-2005, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Ben

word word word word word.

wrong place at the wrong time seriously sucks ass, catching stray bullets is nobodies friend.
You would know

Barking_Spidre
02-28-2005, 02:50 AM
Move to airdrie! It's safe here.
Another reason why I don't live in Calgary.

Gondi Stylez
02-28-2005, 02:59 AM
this is getting to be wat out of control! and i hear edmonton isnt much better and im moving there in sept! :thumbsdow

RIP John

mo_virgin
02-28-2005, 03:00 AM
You guys... its an isolated incident. Why are you guys talking about staying home and moving to airdrie? You think people who live in compton or oakland let drive by's keep them inside the house? Heellll no!

Gondi Stylez
02-28-2005, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
You guys... its an isolated incident. Why are you guys talking about staying home and moving to airdrie? You think people who live in the bronx or oakland let drive by's keep them inside the house? Heellll no!

wrong place.. wrong time! u never know! anything can happen now-a-days!

btw, the bronx is a bad example to give die to the fact that that is the WAY OF LIFE in that area of NY. it is common occuranbce thus it doesnt bother anyone! go live there for a night and see how u would feel?! persoanlly, i dont want to be at a club or such one night and have this huge fight break out with memebers shoot/stabbing at random! not cool!

Ben
02-28-2005, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
You guys... its an isolated incident. Why are you guys talking about staying home and moving to airdrie? You think people who live in compton or oakland let drive by's keep them inside the house? Heellll no!

I'm calgarian born and raised, and it IS geting a lot worse.

I mean of course it's nothing bad compared to most places in the US, but when things like this happen of course people are gonna post "yeah, things are so bad now, stay in your homes" shit like that.

Calgary is growing fast, and with that comes crime.

Gondi Stylez
02-28-2005, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Ben

I'm calgarian born and raised, and it IS geting a lot worse.

I mean of course it's nothing bad compared to most places in the US, but when things like this happen of course people are gonna post "yeah, things are so bad now, stay in your homes" shit like that.

Calgary is growing fast, and with that comes crime.

:werd: im a calgarian born and rasied also b ut the major problem i have is that it seems no matter what the cops do it will always get worse! i dont understand why if ur suspected in gang violence the cops cant arrest you and detain you? they should change the laws! plus it is for the betterment of the society! IMHO!

Gadgetboy
02-28-2005, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
i dont understand why if ur suspected in gang violence the cops cant arrest you and detain you? they should change the laws! plus it is for the betterment of the society! IMHO! what if you matched the description of someone who was suspected of gang violence and was detained, and interrogated without any actual evidence? If that happened to me, I would be pretty pissed off, along with pretty much everyone else who gets hassled like that for no reason.

/////AMG
02-28-2005, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
this is getting to be wat out of control! and i hear edmonton isnt much better and im moving there in sept! :thumbsdow

RIP John

:werd: Edmonotn used to be a lot worse but it's come to a real big slow down in gang violence.... right now. I do think Calgary is getting worse too. Anyway if this guy wa sin a gang and all that, I'm sure he didn't deserve it and/or maybe he did. who knows. But anyway R.I.P.

SoSlowDx
02-28-2005, 08:13 AM
John was a nice guy if you knew him. RIP John

Xtrema
02-28-2005, 08:44 AM
I blame GTA games.

Seriously tho, this is no different than you would find elsewhere in the world in big cities.

It just sucks that anytime these shit happens, it HAD to be Asians who are involved. And you also wonder why Asians are biased against at clubs. Well, here again is your answer.

Why the heck people of color are more likely to form/join gangs?

legendboy
02-28-2005, 08:54 AM
I drove right by athens by night saturday, saw all the police tape and shit....

DUBBED
02-28-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't understand why people are dying over pride or revenge or whatever it is. Pretty fawking pathetic if you ask me.

I've said this before though as long as no innocent people get hurt, they could stand in the middle of the street shooting each other in the face and I wouldn't give two shits.

oddjob
02-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Stupid gangs, what are they 5 yrs old? :whipped:

brandon
02-28-2005, 09:18 AM
I heard on the radio it was a execution style murder and he was affliated with gangs. Anybody have any more info on this?

sputnik
02-28-2005, 09:22 AM
The guy who was killed was recently released from prison after serving 9 months for taking a baseball bat to someones skull at a local karaoke bar.

soupey
02-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
The guy who was killed was recently released from prison after serving 9 months for taking a baseball bat to someones skull at a local karaoke bar.

*questions whether he feels sorry for him anymore*

this guy is equivalent to the pizza beating video in ask leo...guess he got what was comin to him....

about the talk about calgary gettn so bad, yes it is, but calgary has expanded so much in the last few years, its expected, and just cuz of a few isolated gang incidents, your questioning whether or not to live here?, that doesnt make sense to me, that and the chances of you gettn hurt are slim to none unless you have some sort of affiliation with the gang.

sucks that its happening in calgary so often now, but mind you, remember 17th ave during the flames games, heavy police presence but barely anything serious that happened....(atleast not to my knowledge), im under the impression most other cities would have rioted when we lost....pretty sure only in calgary would you get away with no problems after fans are dissappointed....

anyways i dont wana talk about hockey its depressing haha

Mckenzie
02-28-2005, 09:57 AM
This city is starting to remind me of the gang violence in Edmonton....I am not sure what is up with these people but it seems they think they are in some kind of mob drama....its Calgary get over it, not NY. Smoke a joint and chill out or something....there is no need for spraying bullets into a club and catching bystanders or whatever.

But I guess they gotta 'keep it real'....:rolleyes:

Cops do know who these people are and they should all be dragged off the streets and shitkicked before they 'chop you up'. Then after a good shitkicking, they should all be sent to jail....there is no need to have these people on our streets.

My .02:dunno:

Mr. Burns
02-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

wildkarrde
02-28-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by SoSlowDx
John was a nice guy if you knew him. RIP John

He's done his fair share of bad shit as well.
RIP nontheless.

B17a
02-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
It just sucks that anytime these shit happens, it HAD to be Asians who are involved. And you also wonder why Asians are biased against at clubs. Well, here again is your answer.

:werd: 2/5ths of the City's murders this year have a gang flavour. If you're oriental and even remotely look badass, be prepared to be hassled by cops, bouncers, and any others thanks to these assholes who keep storming clubs and executing people.

rmk
02-28-2005, 11:49 AM
i try not to ruffle peoples' feathers, but...

i think everyone needs to wake up.

1) the general public; this crap will happen in a city of 1MM. we calgarians do tend to (from time to time) live in a fairytale land, where we like to think that we still live in 1985.

2) CPS; just admit already that we have a gang problem. and not ANY gang problem, an ASIAN gang problem (with deadly reprocussions, more than likely tied to DRUGS). for fear of a backlash against them, the cps have taken the easy way out and not publically said so, shame on them for that. they know damn well who is involved in these shootings but can't be straight with us. they need to wake up and take charge arrest these lunatics and publically tar and feather them.

3) gang members and PEOPLE WHO ROLL WITH THEM; karma's a bitch fellas and you'll get yours sooner than you think. YOU ARE WHO YOU ROLL WITH.

Have a nice day.

DC2uned
02-28-2005, 12:36 PM
I think one of the main reasons Calgary has this teenybopers gang issue is due to the fact we don't have power house gangs (organized mob type) like large U.S. cities due, to take care of these morons.

Those cities have mobs that arn't doing it for *respect* or *pride*. They are in it for money. Alot of Calgary's gangs wouldn't last an hour in U.S. cities. These power gangs would take care of them real quike, and when they do it they use their brains so they don't make a scene. It's like these morons shooting at eachother do it for the image. So sad!

SoSlowDx
02-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by wildkarrde

He's done his fair share of bad shit as well.
RIP nontheless.

Yeah I know.

Def_3
02-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by rmk
i try not to ruffle peoples' feathers, but...

i think everyone needs to wake up.

1) the general public; this crap will happen in a city of 1MM. we calgarians do tend to (from time to time) live in a fairytale land, where we like to think that we still live in 1985.

2) CPS; just admit already that we have a gang problem. and not ANY gang problem, an ASIAN gang problem (with deadly reprocussions, more than likely tied to DRUGS). for fear of a backlash against them, the cps have taken the easy way out and not publically said so, shame on them for that. they know damn well who is involved in these shootings but can't be straight with us. they need to wake up and take charge arrest these lunatics and publically tar and feather them.

3) gang members and PEOPLE WHO ROLL WITH THEM; karma's a bitch fellas and you'll get yours sooner than you think. YOU ARE WHO YOU ROLL WITH.

Have a nice day.
I couldnt agree with you more:thumbsup:

kiwi
02-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by brandon
I heard on the radio it was a execution style murder and he was affliated with gangs. Anybody have any more info on this?

He beat someone to death in a back alley a few years ago or something, so this was revenge. Something like that... not too sure.

heavyD
02-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by rmk

Goodfellas anyone?:D

sputnik
02-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by kiwi

He beat someone to death in a back alley a few years ago or something, so this was revenge. Something like that... not too sure.

Here is what the Calgary Sun had...

Pheng was known to police and the fatal bar skirmish was not the first time he'd been involved in a deadly incident.

In 2001, Pheng was sentenced to nine months in jail after pleading guilty to bashing Peter Miu over the head with a baseball bat during a fight behind a downtown karaoke bar.

Pheng's friend Vuthy Kong was sentenced to seven years in prison for stabbing to death Peter's brother, Adam Miu, in that same brawl.

Police, meanwhile, confiscated surveillance videotape from Melrose Cafe and Bar on 17 Ave. after receiving reports from witnesses that Pheng was there earlier Friday night.

B17a
02-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
back in my famillies ghetto days these kids used to hang out with the neighbohrs in our duplex,back in doverwood. haha Shit i even let them bolth in (Vuthy,John)one time to play street fighter...

man am i ever glad i never ended up like them

Good on you!:thumbsup:

So having grown up with these guys in the same neighborhood, where did they go wrong? What kind of parents if any did they have?:dunno:

TKRIS
02-28-2005, 02:18 PM
So, how long until these morons kill each other off? Oh yeah, I forgot that every loser that gets waxed is replaced by some younger, dumber loser that will enevitability end up as a bullit magnet himself.
Want to know why there are so many gang problems? Ignorance is "The New Black", that's why.

Kris

Ben
02-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Every time the police associate this violence to asian gangs the race card gets pulled and we have public uproar, which is probably why the CPS has been tiptoing around this issue.

Lets face it tho, these asian gangs are ruining shit for everyone and it needs to be put under control NOW.

dj_honda
02-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Pheng's friend Vuthy Kong was sentenced to seven years in prison for stabbing to death Peter's brother, Adam Miu, in that same brawl.

Wow, only 7 years for murder???

Theres part of the problem right there.

DC2uned
02-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Every time the police associate this violence to asian gangs the race card gets pulled and we have public uproar, which is probably why the CPS has been tiptoing around this issue.

Lets face it tho, these asian gangs are ruining shit for everyone and it needs to be put under control NOW.

:thumbsup:

So true. The CPS need to call it what it is, and put an end to this shit.

Kaos
02-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda

Wow, only 7 years for murder???

Theres part of the problem right there.

Thats Canada for ya.
And if hes good He'll get out sooner and put on probation.

R.I.P. John

Fivewayradio
02-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Kaos

Thats Canada for ya.
And if hes good He'll get out sooner and put on probation.

R.I.P. John

Haven't three of this years murders been gang related? And as far as I've heard there haven't been arrests in any of them. Correct me if I'm wrong. But apparently gangs can get away with murdering whoever they want without any repercussions. That's probably why this keeps happening.

Gondi Stylez
02-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
This city is starting to remind me of the gang violence in Edmonton....I am not sure what is up with these people but it seems they think they are in some kind of mob drama....its Calgary get over it, not NY. Smoke a joint and chill out or something....there is no need for spraying bullets into a club and catching bystanders or whatever.

But I guess they gotta 'keep it real'....:rolleyes:

Cops do know who these people are and they should all be dragged off the streets and shitkicked before they 'chop you up'. Then after a good shitkicking, they should all be sent to jail....there is no need to have these people on our streets.

My .02:dunno:

Originally posted by Ben

both very well said!

:werd:

88CRX
02-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Pretty much sums it up right there.:werd:

Makes me not want to hit up any downtown clubs or bars.

Curious
03-01-2005, 03:56 AM
The race card is not the problem. It is a fact that when there is a major crime involving asians, the problem is getting, "WITNESSES". This fact has always been a problem for the CPS.

sputnik
03-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Looks like there was some more gunfire in the south east last night...

Gunfire erupted in a parking lot in southeast Calgary last night, and police investigated its possible connection to recent gangland activity in the city. The shots were fired around 6:30 p.m. outside the Burger King at 48 St. and 17 Ave. S.E.

Immediately after the shots rang out, bystanders reported seeing an Asian male, with a handgun, walking from the scene.

No one was hurt, but shell casings were found at the scene by investigators.

Police Insp. Luch Berti said he could not say whether the latest shooting was gang-related.

The gunplay happened just one day after Chief Jack Beaton told the Sun he would not let gangs "take over" the city.

"We always keep an open mind, we try to be as objective as we can and don't look for connections but it definitely is a vehicle of interest for us and if there is a connection we will pursue that," said Berti.

"It fits a pattern of something we've seen in the past ... but nothing's been ruled out."

About an hour after the shooting, two males were taken into custody at gunpoint by police after their SUV -- which matched the description of a vehicle involved in the Burger King shooting -- was spotted travelling along 52 St. N.E. , said Berti.

They were later released without charges.

Meanwhile, Sun sources said Pheng was a suspect in other unsolved violent crimes -- including at least one murder.

Linju Ly, 19, was fatally shot in a drive-by shooting as he shovelled the walk outside his Robert Rd. N.E. home on Dec. 29, 2002.

Cops connected that murder to the shooting death of Vihn Le, 29, one day earlier at the Auxiliary after-hours club downtown, calling it a suspected act of retribution.

Pheng was considered a suspect in Ly's slaying.

Staff Sgt. Barry Cochran, head of the homicide unit, said an autopsy performed yesterday confirmed Pheng died from a gunshot wound to the chest. Now the push is on to find his killer.

Part of the investigation will most certainly delve into Pheng's past.

Police have said he was known to associate with gangsters.

Apart from his connection to Ly's death, sources said Pheng was one of as many as six assailants who burst into a Chestermere home and tied up a 21-year-old man before snatching a 20-year-old woman from the home last September.

The home invaders grabbed a large sum of cash from the house and took off with a vehicle parked outside.

Police eventually surrounded two southeast Dover homes and arrested Pheng.

The woman said she'd been sexually assaulted by her attackers and was taken to Foothills hospital.

But the case fell apart when the victims refused to co-operate with police, saying they would not testify at a trial.

Pheng also pleaded guilty to a 2001 attack on Peter Mui, brother of Adam Mui, who was murdered during the same incident.

Pheng's friend Vuthy Kong was convicted of manslaughter in Adam's death.

rinny
03-02-2005, 03:25 AM
Police eventually surrounded two southeast Dover homes and arrested Pheng.

He probably still lived in the same house as when you guys were kids!

AsianCaucasian
03-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Another one on deerfoot trail again this morning. Two SUV's opened fire on a third car, police believe its related to the other gang shootings.

rmk
03-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian
Another one on deerfoot trail again this morning. Two SUV's opened fire on a third car, police believe its related to the other gang shootings.

fucking idiots. they should put these guys in a room and gas 'em.

t-im
03-02-2005, 02:58 PM

wtf..???..details?

sputnik
03-02-2005, 03:03 PM
from todays calgary sun...

Police claim they know who's responsible for the most recent shootings that have rocked the city -- including one where a Calgary man was gunned down in cold blood. Staff Sgt. Sean Doyle of the community response unit said a number of suspects have been identified in a Saturday shooting that claimed the life of 22-year-old John Pheng.

"Now we have to build a case around them, one that's solid enough to get a conviction," Doyle said.

The comments came before reports of more gunfire -- this time on northbound Deerfoot Tr. near 32 Ave N.E. at around 12:30 a.m. this morning.

"According to witnesses, it involves two SUVs and possible shots were fired," said Insp. Luch Berti. No one was injured in the reported gunfire, which was reportedly aimed at a third vehicle.

"Right now, it's just speculation, but last night it was two black SUVs, so there may be something to this," he said, referring to Monday night's shooting outside the 48 St. and 17 Ave. S.E. Burger King.

In the Burger King shooting, no one was hurt but shell casings littered the ground around the fast-food restaurant.

A pair of males were taken into custody about an hour after the gunplay was reported, but both suspects were released after being questioned and they were not charged.

However, Doyle said the men taken into custody were present when Pheng -- who was a suspect in the 2002 murder of Linju Ly -- was fatally shot at the Shaken Drink Room, 1137 17 Ave S.W., early Saturday.

"I can't say they were involved in the shooting, but they were certainly there," Doyle said.

Community response officers, members of the gang-enforcement unit and the joint-task force Integrated Response to Organized Crime team are investigating the shootings.

Meanwhile, Mayor Dave Bronconnier said the recent spate of shootings is the unsavoury byproduct of Calgary's wealth.

"Gang activity is on the rise, and when there's lots of money floating around, those people tend to gravitate towards it," said Bronconnier.

But Bronconnier said that doesn't mean Calgary should accept flying gunfire as a fact of life, and he hopes a 14% increase in police gang-unit spending this year will help crush the recent outburst of violence.

The extra money will pay for another detective and four constables on the gang unit, and comes as part of the police budget, which is nearing a quarter-billion dollars.

kiwi
03-02-2005, 03:11 PM
*sigh*
They can kill each other all they want, just hopefully no innocent people get hurt by their stupidity!

awd
03-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Calgary is beginning to remind me of growing up in BC -- too bad really, I was hoping this province wouldn't come to this.

AsianCaucasian
03-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Any city with a lot of asians is going to have a lot of crime. It's just the way it is.

doublepostwhore
03-03-2005, 09:15 AM
^ does China have alot of crime? Japan? Korea (north + south)?

(curious)

AsianCaucasian
03-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by doublepostwhore
^ does China have alot of crime? Japan? Korea (north + south)?

(curious)

yes, tons.

/////AMG
03-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Any city with a lot of asians is going to have a lot of crime. It's just the way it is.

Bot true jut because these crimes are asian related doesn't mean any city with a lot of asians is going to have a lot of crime.
Not true at all mate.

AsianCaucasian
03-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG

Bot true jut because these crimes are asian related doesn't mean any city with a lot of asians is going to have a lot of crime.
Not true at all mate.

I'll have to disagree, I don't know of any cities (or at least none come to mind) with a high asian population that don't have a general trend of violent crime. It's a touchy subject but it was actually mentioned in my urban studies textbook that North American cities with a rise in immigration of Asians have a rising crime rate as well. You could argue that it has more to do with the general city population growth though.

rmk
03-03-2005, 11:04 AM
btw, there was no media on the alleged shooting on deerfoot. no citybeat, tv or radio... just a rumour.

AsianCaucasian
03-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by rmk
btw, there was no media on the alleged shooting on deerfoot. no citybeat, tv or radio... just a rumour.

I heard it on the radio on Tuesday morning, apparently the victim in the car that was shot at does not want to come forward nor identify himself so it's making it really hard to substantiate his claim.

Melinda
03-03-2005, 11:14 AM
It was in the paper that morning as well

DEREK57
03-03-2005, 11:15 AM

Why though, it doesnt seem like the Asian community is that bad off economically or anything?

AsianCaucasian
03-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by DEREK57

Why though, it doesnt seem like the Asian community is that bad off economically or anything?

For this one I'm not really sure but one thing that could probably contribute to it is that organized crime in China is centuries old. Some triad organizations date back to early 100-200 AD. Also, with such a violent history in Asia in recent decades, it is not presumptuous to assume that this could be a cause for the tendency of crime involving Asians to be violent. It's just sad that this kind of crap follows us to other shores.

rmk
03-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by DEREK57

i don't want to make a generalization, but asians are pretty tight- nit family wise. they have eachothers back and i really think that if one family member is into bad stuff then some of the other family members tend to follow suit and get in on the action. and when they get a really big group together theres no stopping them and they're ruthless. & i think some of them like the high life, the prestige and the power that comes with the gang related activities.

my 2 cents

AsianCaucasian
03-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by rmk

i don't want to make a generalization, but asians are pretty tight- nit family wise. they have eachothers back and i really think that if one family member is into bad stuff then some of the other family members tend to follow suit and get in on the action. and when they get a really big group together theres no stopping them and they're ruthless. & i think some of them like the high life, the prestige and the power that comes with the gang related activities.

my 2 cents

That's pretty true about the people I know. Some of my extended family is into that stuff.

max_boost
03-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Taken today from the Calgary Herald.

Last month's gangland killing inside a southwest bar has cracked a cold case for Calgary homicide detectives investigating a 15-month-old unsolved murder.

Police are announcing today they believe John Pheng, who was shot dead Feb. 26 inside the bar Shaken Drink Room on 17th Avenue S.W., killed 18-year-old Jason Dang Jan. 1, 2004.

"We are coming to a conclusion to the Jason Dang murder," said Staff Sgt. Barry Cochran, head of the homicide unit.

"One of our recent homicide investigations afforded us the opportunity to re-interview witnesses."

Dang was stabbed to death outside Denny's restaurant at McKnight Boulevard and Edmonton Trail N.E. over a year ago.

Police said Dang and his killer were feuding over a girl. She reportedly dated Pheng before Dang, and the two young men had fought before.

Last week, police knocked on Anh Vo's door and delivered the news that her son's killer had been found, but he too was dead.

She said Tuesday she was disappointed police were unable to lay charges while Pheng was alive to face a judge.

"I'm sad right now," she told the Herald.

Vo said she had been living in fear because she's always believed her son's killer had partners that fateful morning.

All along she had heard who was responsible, but her son's friends were keeping tight-lipped around police.

Vo brought her family to Calgary more than 14 years ago from Vietnam with hopes for a better life.

Dang, a former Forest Lawn High School student, was working as a packer in a local factory at the time of his death.

The teen's uncle, Lac Vo, said Dang ran with a bad crowd and was involved with drugs when he was younger, but that he was trying to straighten out his life.

Vo was one of the last people to talk to her son before the fatal stabbing. The teen called to say he planned to visit his girlfriend before coming home.

The concerned girlfriend phoned Vo's home when Dang failed to show up.

Vo and her daughter drove to the restaurant, only to find police hovering over her son's body lying face down on the road.

"I'm sad," she said Tuesday. "I'll never forget my son."

Tyler883
03-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by B17a

If you're oriental and even remotely look badass, be prepared to be hassled by cops, bouncers, and any others thanks to these assholes who keep storming clubs and executing people.

I look like white trash, and I don't have a problem with harrasment.....I guess I just don't go to the same places(or do similar activities) that white trash goes to.

32V-V8
03-16-2005, 01:16 PM
LOL welcome to the big city. It aint gonna stop. Ive lived in other bigger cities and the best bet is to stay out of shitty areas, disassociate with any "badasses" you might know and move on. IVe been shot at before... nothing like running for your life.

It aint gonna stop. The victims and witness's will not testify because they will get killed.

Their Asian-ness isnt relevant to the violence.. But in all honesty, people will become fearful of them, and disassociate. Its reality.. not racism... not bigotry, its a desire for self-preservation. All my asian poker buddies down south arent knife/gun toting loonies... so I know that not all of them here are.

I just hope that the public will see past the race issue and we can still all be friends.

Im also thinking of bumpin the heat up in mah ryde fo doze mofos who be bumpin.,

Tyler883
03-16-2005, 01:43 PM
confuscioeus says " he who hangs around stray bullets, should keep his head down."

32V-V8
03-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by awd
Calgary is beginning to remind me of growing up in BC -- too bad really, I was hoping this province wouldn't come to this. No kidding, I guess Alberta isnt as right-wing as its renouned for.. otherwise it wouldnt have even got across the bc border.

There is no question that it has to stop... but what will it take? The funnier part about it is that the shooting downtown there was over 30 shots fired, and if Im not mistaken.. one person was hit. Again, they tribe up on an SUV on deerfoot.. shoot at him... and he is unharmed. Maybe these jokers should go take some pistol training?

RiCE-DaDDy
03-17-2005, 01:04 AM
"When something happens in Calgary...nothing happens...it's just another asian dead"

doublepostwhore
03-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Its not just "asians"... all races partake in gang related violence/activities... it is just that the count of "asians" that are into more of the revenge/pride shit are prevelant as they are quicker to draw in the public domain. I would bet my bottom dollar that every day in calgary there is atleast 1 gang related murder... just that people are getting smarter... and so are the police.
Rightfully so... if the gangs are kill themselfs off within their "cliques" with not only the cocain/crack/meth/E but killing each other for respect/drugs then all the better... aslong as the general public doesnt get harmed.

Do you realise how many busts have been made? Millions of dollars in E, and coke in the past few months... for people to say the police are doing a shitty job... you are FOOLING yourselfs... and you are blinded from the real truth... the main concern is drugs... without them eventually there would be no reason to fight... police are concerned about the product not the people.

The fact that "asians" <--- can you tell I hate this term? are involved doesnt mean we can black list all of them. For the most part alot of us will NEVER see bullets/guns/keys of coke... if you are DT late at an iffy club... then your taking your life into your own hands.

I Dont cringe when I see police... I feel safer... they are attacking the real problem... something tangable... not a lead on an unsolved murder.

Its not that I am heartless... but If a gang banger got shot at a club... or went to jump someone... no one can be innocent... I would rather they (gangbangers) mess around with their members/enemies... then kill policemen for singling out only a part of the problem.

Melinda
03-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Two more stabbing incidents last night in 2 different bars on 1st street...multiple people hurt :(

This morning at 2:20 AM Calgary EMS responded to a club at
1213 1 Street SW for a stabbing.

The Calgary Police Service was quick to secure the scene for
EMS. Paramedics assessed a 27-year-old male that sustained a
single stab wound to the abdomen. He was treated on scene
for his injury and transported to the Foothills Trauma
Center.

He was admitted in serious but stable condition. His injury
is not believed to be life threatening.

The Calgary Police Service is investigating the incident and
they will release further details.

-30-

At 1:00 AM this morning Calgary EMS were called to assist the
Calgary Police Service at the Sambuca nightclub at 720 8
Avenue SW for an assault.

Paramedics assessed a 19-year-old male that sustained head
and facial injuries after being assaulted. He was treated
and transported in stable condition to Foothills Hospital.

During the assault pepper spray was also used and EMS treated
3 others that were suffering the effects of being pepper
sprayed. They were 2 males aged 20 and an 18 year old
female. All 3 were treated by EMS and released at the scene.

-30-

xDiMSuMx
03-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by doublepostwhore
I would bet my bottom dollar that every day in calgary there is atleast 1 gang related murder...

i dont think so dude

xDiMSuMx
03-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
Two more stabbing incidents last night in 2 different bars on 1st street...multiple people hurt :(

This morning at 2:20 AM Calgary EMS responded to a club at
1213 1 Street SW for a stabbing.

The Calgary Police Service was quick to secure the scene for
EMS. Paramedics assessed a 27-year-old male that sustained a
single stab wound to the abdomen. He was treated on scene
for his injury and transported to the Foothills Trauma
Center.

He was admitted in serious but stable condition. His injury
is not believed to be life threatening.

-30-

At 1:00 AM this morning Calgary EMS were called to assist the
Calgary Police Service at the Sambuca nightclub at 720 8
Avenue SW for an assault.

Paramedics assessed a 19-year-old male that sustained head
and facial injuries after being assaulted. He was treated
and transported in stable condition to Foothills Hospital.

During the assault pepper spray was also used and EMS treated
3 others that were suffering the effects of being pepper
sprayed. They were 2 males aged 20 and an 18 year old
female. All 3 were treated by EMS and released at the scene.

-30-

Sambuca isn't on 1st st

bspot
03-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by xDiMSuMx

Sambuca isn't on 1st st

... and no one got stabbed there :dunno:

Melinda
03-18-2005, 12:57 PM
The news said it was a stabbing, the website said asault :dunno: And I have no idea where sambuca is so I guessed

xDiMSuMx
03-18-2005, 01:06 PM
i thought i heard that there were 2 stabbings at nyla last night
not sure though

B17a
03-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Anyone read the Herald today? I guess the cops are looking at this Pheng guy in another murder, that kid who got stabbed at NYLA a few years back. Jeez, he stabs and kills a kid last year, another the year before. Sounds like someone did us a favour and took care of this pyscho!

gatorade
03-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by B17a
Anyone read the Herald today? I guess the cops are looking at this Pheng guy in another murder, that kid who got stabbed at NYLA a few years back. Jeez, he stabs and kills a kid last year, another the year before. Sounds like someone did us a favour and took care of this pyscho!

Sounds like they are trying to pin half of calgarys unsovled murders on him, they also say he was a suspect in linju's murder too, its pretty suspicious that they found all this information out after his death considering the fact that half of these people have been dead for years.

B17a
03-18-2005, 08:30 PM
I think that's the point. Now that he's dead people who were scared to talk are a little more open now. For a guy who looks like a skinny 12 year old (at least from the police pics) he sure did strike the fear of god into people!

32V-V8
03-19-2005, 01:34 AM
The scary part is... these events will be less and less shocking as they keep happening, they will become impersonal.. and as with all large cities.. people will quit giving a shit. Someone should have choked out that skinny little homo a long time ago.

32V-V8
03-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Police say the slaying of a known gangster made murder witnesses more willing to come forward about his role in the killing of another man.

And that allowed them to close the book on a 2004 murder case.

John Pheng, 22, was shot to death Feb. 26 in a wild, gang-related shootout at the Shaken Drink Room on 17 Ave. S.W.

Before his death, cops were close to arresting Pheng for the stabbing death of 18-year-old Tay "Jason" Dang, whose body was found at the side of the road on McKnight Blvd. at Edmonton Tr. N.E., Jan. 1, 2004.

Staff Sgt. Barry Cochran said police made a DNA match between an object left at Dang's murder scene and his killer, Pheng.

"We were on the threshold of laying charges against Pheng in that homicide," Cochran said.

Police said they believe a fight over a woman prompted the killing.

Several friends and associates of Dang were interviewed immediately after the murder, but most refused to tell police what they knew.

Pheng was pulled in for questioning, but was released, Cochran said.

Over a woman... that is gold.

kiwi
03-20-2005, 01:24 AM
Date: Sat Mar 19 22:07:50 2005
Subject: Shooting incident at 2800 block of 17 Ave SE

-----BEGIN MD5 -----------------------------------

CALGARY POLICE SERVICE MEDIA RELEASE

A few minutes after 8:00 PM on Saturday the 19 March 2005 EMS
and police responded to call of someone suffering from
gunshot wounds.

The caller was located in a service station in the 2800 block
of 17 Ave SE after driving into the parking lot and requested
assistance from the station clerk. EMS treated and
transported the victim, a male in his early twenties to the
Foothills Hospital in potentially life threatening condition.

The victim arrived at the service station in a 1995 red Honda
Accord that had numerous bullet holes in the drivers’ side.

At this time police do not know where this incident took
place or who was responsible.

The Community Response Team as been notified and will be
conducting the investigation.

-30-

Public Contact Information:

Police are requesting the publics’ assistance and are asking
anyone who may have seen or heard anything that may be
related to this incident to call them at 266-1234 or Crime
Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

Public Email Contact:

[email protected]

-----END MD5 d8c565bb5b8b4355f33fe449fba61f5e-----

djayz
03-20-2005, 01:28 AM
OMG
not another one...and it involves a red HONDA accord

this is getting out of hand

t-im
03-20-2005, 01:31 AM
I like how global news mentioned the guy was "asian"

djayz
03-20-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by t-im
I like how global news mentioned the guy was &quot;asian&quot;

what else are they to say? yellow?

i say everybody just leaves these guys alone and eventually they will kill each other out then there will be none left
this is retarded...and its all over whos bigger and better

t-im
03-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by djayz

what else are they to say? yellow?

i say everybody just leaves these guys alone and eventually they will kill each other out then there will be none left
this is retarded...and its all over whos bigger and better

They could have not mentioned it? haha

anyways, not a shooting but kinda freaky

http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2005/03/release.20050320_200701_3542_0

CRXguy
03-21-2005, 12:34 AM

They could have not mentioned it? haha

anyways, not a shooting but kinda freaky

http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2005/03/release.20050320_200701_3542_0

That's like straight out of a Chinese gangsta movie! :nut:

32V-V8
03-21-2005, 03:09 AM
Jesus this city is being over-run.

gen2teggy
03-21-2005, 03:23 AM
he had it comming

thinmyster
03-21-2005, 08:32 AM
??????? do you know what happened? ^^^^^^^^^

32V-V8
03-21-2005, 01:13 PM
LOL apparently so... The only way I can see someone having that coming is if someonesa family member was raped/molested/beaten up.

Shaolin
03-21-2005, 06:39 PM
the victim isn't talking about the incident either.. hmm.

rmk
03-22-2005, 11:36 AM
some data: there are 25,000+ registered members on beyond. a fraction might post regularily, many lurk and the rest are dead/unused accounts. at any given time (figuratively speaking) 100 - 300 members / guests are logged in and have beyond open.

out of all these users, there is a good (really) good chance that these jerkoff's are watching and reading here. factor in what we talk about (cars, entertainment, local life, etc, etc) and our age group lines up, they're here. and people know people.
------------

all i got to say is that the cops are coming after you twirps. they are better,smarter, faster and have 10x more firepower than you guys do. you will be caught and taken care of in jail (not talking about bubba, but you'll meet him later). everybody is fed up with you guys and the courts will make sure you you live a long life in the slammer.

sorry, this is just pissing me off even more now. :thumbsdow

thinmyster
03-22-2005, 11:53 AM
yah no shit hey bbbooooooooorrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssss :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow to all the wanna be gangsters

bw54867
03-22-2005, 12:11 PM
why does society place all blame on delears and label drug users as victims? it is the drug users who call the dealers

without users there would be no dealers

laws only make drug profits more lucrative

Calgary and Edmonton are big cities now,with growing populations grows the growth of drug users,with growing populations grows the growth of poverty,with growing populations grows the growth of those who would like to escape poverty

more officers will not change anything,a change to Canadian laws would be the only solution

rmk
03-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by bw54867
why does society place all blame on delears and label drug users as victims? it is the drug users who call the dealers

without users there would be no dealers

laws only make drug profits more lucrative

Calgary and Edmonton are big cities now,with growing populations grows the growth of drug users,with growing populations grows the growth of poverty,with growing populations grows the growth of those who would like to escape poverty

more officers will not change anything,a change to Canadian laws would be the only solution

everybody is a victim when drugs are involved.

32V-V8
03-22-2005, 02:27 PM
There is serious flaws in our legal system though. More police would be great but only in cooperation and to support some changed legislation.. I think to pile on more police would be more clusterfucked and would probably just stress the system more. There has to be changes at the government levels so that these roach-goofs can be dealt with. I hate to say it, but if the law breakers are asian or lebanese or from whatever other country.. and werent born here... why not send them back? Before you scream racisim... first think about the dynamics and logic behind it.

brandon
03-22-2005, 02:55 PM
I like how global news mentioned the guy was &quot;asian&quot;

Even if the guy was white they would of mentioned that he was caucasian. I have seen it alot on globals news reports it has nothing to do with one certain race.

abyss
03-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Did anyone see that map in the herald *edit, SUN, thanks* about all the drug busts in Calgary, I had NO idea it was that bad. That was crazy! If those are the ones that got caught, imagine how many more are out there that haven't been caught yet. I say "yet" cause hopefull they'll be caught very soon as well.