PDA

View Full Version : car compare....talon vs. gti

MK3HKS
02-28-2005, 03:09 AM
just posting to see what ppl prefer... tell me pros and cons of both car plz:D

Canaduh
02-28-2005, 03:13 AM
the golf hands down.

while neither one is cheap to fix if something goes wrong, the talon is awd, which is nicer to drive but more $$$ if it breaks. Depends on what motor is in the gti too, how modded? someone done a swap to it? keep in mind its also 2 years newer.

and its more of a personal thing but I like the look of the GTI way more.:thumbsup:

Barking_Spidre
02-28-2005, 03:15 AM
Prices, KM's on both?

MK3HKS
02-28-2005, 03:47 AM
both around the same price, the VW has the following mods i know of for sure, maybe more...

16" racing rims (dunno which brand), crossdrilled rotors, lowered 2 inches, 3" front to back DTM style Exhaust, cold air intake, short shifter, sway bar ...thas all i know off hand

and the talon is stock

GTi has 143 000 km and dont know about a talon (probably around 200-230 000km)

Gti has the original motor.....2L

Canaduh
02-28-2005, 03:53 AM
still the golf simply based on the km's. personally i would take both to be inspected. see what kinda shape they are both in.:dunno:

Barking_Spidre
02-28-2005, 03:53 AM
I'd have to say golf, hands down.

Ben
02-28-2005, 04:21 AM
Talons are a brutal money pit for the inexperienced. Go with the golf. CHEAP to fix, and lots of aftermarke support. It better sound ok. Everyone and their dog puts those fucking DTM tipped mufflers on their VW's and it ALWAYS sounds like asshole cuz they buy the cheap low budget ones.

ECONO DTM MUFFLERS SUCK!!!

heavyD
02-28-2005, 08:50 AM
If one car has 75KM less than the other, I would take the lower mileage car.

If they had comparable mileage, I would take the Talon hands down. The VW 2.0L engine is an oil burner and that's probably it's only positive.;) Talon will be cheaper to fix (parts from Mitsubishi in Calgary are the cheapest I have ever seen for OEM parts, VW parts are $$$) and as long as the transfer cases aren't leaking the AWD is just as reliable as RWD or FWD. Also VW's annualy rank as the most unreliable vehicles you can buy (Every year it's a 2-horse race between Suzuki and VW) that's why when you go to trader.ca and search for VW's there are more for sale than any other car by far. That said I would thoroughly inspect each car first.

Also at least you can add "go" to the "show" with a Talon. The 2.0L Golf will always be all "show". Most importantly FWD is AWD's little bitch.:D

HuMz
02-28-2005, 11:56 AM
i don't see how those 2 cars can even be remotly close to the similar price range:dunno: .....esspecially with the talon being 1st gen and having that high of kms, so either the talon is way overpriced or there is something seriously wrong with the gti to be priced as low as the talon

EK 2.0
02-28-2005, 12:47 PM
I say with your budget find something else...

I mean if the maintenance has not been done on either car, it is going to cost you a fair bit to get them back to "spec"...

but boiling it all down...YOU have to pick, not let beyonders choose for you...for if we do, you may end up with a purchase that you will not be happy with a month or 6 from now...

Kirbs17
02-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Myself and a friend of mine had terrible luck with DSM's, and Im currently a VW owner, so GTI for sure:thumbsup:

heavyD
02-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
Myself and a friend of mine had terrible luck with DSM's, and Im currently a VW owner, so GTI for sure:thumbsup:

You make a good point. If you don't know anything about cars, DSM's are not a good choice. They are a little more complex than your average FWD car, plus alot of people just crank the boost without proper supporting mods and blame their ineptitude on the car. If you do know how to properly maintain a car they can be just as reliable as anything else out there.

MK3HKS
02-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Talons are a brutal money pit. Go with the golf. CHEAP to fix, and lots of aftermarke support. It better sound ok. Everyone and their dog puts those fucking DTM tipped mufflers on their VW's and it ALWAYS sounds like asshole cuz they buy the cheap low budget ones.

ECONO DTM MUFFLERS SUCK!!!

front to back 3" piping with a dtm style exhaust is cheap? i always thought its like over 2 grand for the job, i dunno:dunno:

euro_racer
02-28-2005, 08:54 PM
i would always take the GTI, i've owned 4 vw so far and didnt have a problem ever, but then i look back at my friends talon and yea it is fast and all that but talons are just not the type of cars that you would own for a while and not having to fix something on them, they always have something wrong with them. but i am preatty sure like said above if you take good care of the talon they may sometimes last a while.

Weapon_R
02-28-2005, 09:14 PM
3" piping on a 2.0L? LOL

Euro_Trash
02-28-2005, 09:58 PM
The Golf, much better looking (I know I am biased) but get that, and slap the BBM Twin Screw Compressor on it, and you will be set. It will be the first 2.0L Lysholm in Alberta, and quick as hell :thumbsup:

MK3HKS
02-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
3" piping on a 2.0L? LOL

hahahahahhahaha, i made myself look like an idiot , i know:banghead:

i dunno what te measurement is but its pretty thick...remeber the supra?, about that thick;)

Ben
02-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by MK3HKS

front to back 3" piping with a dtm style exhaust is cheap? i always thought its like over 2 grand for the job, i dunno:dunno:

if you knew what I was talking about, you'd know how dumb this comment you made looks. :)

Euro_Trash
02-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
[ The VW 2.0L engine is an oil burner and that's probably it's only positive.;)
[/B]

Not sure where you get your information from..... I have owned 3 VW's and not one has burned any oil. And from experience VW's are not high maintenance. The 2.0L is a bulletproof motor, I have seen well over 300 klicks on them. My girlfriend has a Laser, and it has broken down many times in the last 6 months, including the legendary transmission those cars have. Plus, as I said before, a simple Lysholm bolton kit would slap a leash on your AWD and take it for a walk.
PS. I know this is a pointless argument, of course we are both going to be biased :D

Daxin
02-28-2005, 10:28 PM
I own both right now (87 Golf and 94 Talon), and I must say, the Golf is pretty much a pain in the ass to fix, especially when most of the bolts require allen or torx keys. This would be the only downside I have on the Golf. It is a reliable car, but the talon will always be my favorite.

BumpinTalon
02-28-2005, 10:57 PM
just FYI, Golfs ranked near the bottom in consumer report tests. Talons are good cars when they are stock, a lot of them break down because people mod them improperly and putting performance parts on high mileage cars is a recipe for disaster.
Volkswagons are not as reliable as you would think they are, and the parts are pricey and they are difficult to work on. Talons are easy to fix, the motor has a huge wealth of knowledge and there are usually part-outs of old ones every couple months at ca.dsm.org so parts second-hand are super-cheap. plus, it is an awesome platform to go fast on (once you have rebuilt the motor and taken care of other high mileage problems).
that golf looks nice, but I'd bet money it has been owned by a teenager or young person who has bagged the hell out of it and there is going to be all sorts of things wrong with it because he abused it. I would take a pass on it, and the Talon too, and get something newer that is low mileage and reliable. Go to the Crowfoot Saturn dealership, any car that is more then 9 years old is sold at blue book value so you can get great prices on some decent cars with low mileage.

Ben
02-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
just FYI, Golfs ranked near the bottom in consumer report tests. Talons are good cars when they are stock, a lot of them break down because people mod them improperly and putting performance parts on high mileage cars is a recipe for disaster.
Volkswagons are not as reliable as you would think they are, and the parts are pricey and they are difficult to work on. Talons are easy to fix, the motor has a huge wealth of knowledge and there are usually part-outs of old ones every couple months at ca.dsm.org so parts second-hand are super-cheap. plus, it is an awesome platform to go fast on (once you have rebuilt the motor and taken care of other high mileage problems).
that golf looks nice, but I'd bet money it has been owned by a teenager or young person who has bagged the hell out of it and there is going to be all sorts of things wrong with it because he abused it. I would take a pass on it, and the Talon too, and get something newer that is low mileage and reliable. Go to the Crowfoot Saturn dealership, any car that is more then 9 years old is sold at blue book value so you can get great prices on some decent cars with low mileage.

You people must be quadra palegics with your hands cut off, or reading the wrong consumer reports for the models.

HARD TO WORK ON AND EXPENSIVE?!?!?!?! You gotta be kidding me. Parts are rediculously cheap, and there are TONS of used parts floating around.

The MK3 golfs with the 2.0L dont get much simpler than that.

Also what those reports DONT tell you is what the problems were. An engine failure counts the same as a window switch fuse failure. So dont believe EVERYTHING you read.

And no, VW 8V's are NOT oil burners, nomatter that anyone says, I mean we all have someone who knows soneone whos burned oil, but it's not like hyundais of the early 90's that pretty much ALL burn oil by now.

I know you're biased because your a talon lover and I'm a VW lover, but come on, enough spewing out incorrect info please and thanks. We're not talking about an MK4 1.8T or a Phaeton here as far as complexity.

If mk3 2.0L golfs are complex cars to you, then you my friend need to get a sail boat. Thats gonna be pretty much the only thing simpler, other than an MK2 or MK1 VW.

jaysas_63
03-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Ben

If mk3 2.0L golfs are complex cars to you, then you my friend need to get a sail boat. Thats gonna be pretty much the only thing simpler...

lol who needs a 2.0, when u can have WIND beneath ur wings

maximus
03-01-2005, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Ben

You people must be quadra palegics with your hands cut off, or reading the wrong consumer reports for the models.

HARD TO WORK ON AND EXPENSIVE?!?!?!?! You gotta be kidding me. Parts are rediculously cheap, and there are TONS of used parts floating around.

The MK3 golfs with the 2.0L dont get much simpler than that.

Also what those reports DONT tell you is what the problems were. An engine failure counts the same as a window switch fuse failure. So dont believe EVERYTHING you read.

And no, VW 8V's are NOT oil burners, nomatter that anyone says, I mean we all have someone who knows soneone whos burned oil, but it's not like hyundais of the early 90's that pretty much ALL burn oil by now.

I know you're biased because your a talon lover and I'm a VW lover, but come on, enough spewing out incorrect info please and thanks. We're not talking about an MK4 1.8T or a Phaeton here as far as complexity.

If mk3 2.0L golfs are complex cars to you, then you my friend need to get a sail boat. Thats gonna be pretty much the only thing simpler, other than an MK2 or MK1 VW.

Finally something truthful!!

I'm on my 6th VW (91 Jetta 8v, 91 GTi 16v, 95 GTi, 88 GTi 16v, currently 92 GTi 16v and 65 bug :D ) and you know what I've never had any major problems or even been stranded. I started out with my Jetta when I was 18. I am no mechanic but I managed to learn and fix many things on that car. I used it for 4 years and only needed routine maintenance. These are one of the easiest cars to work on. I do a lot of work myself on all my cars especially since nothing major has gone wrong. Definately very easy cars to work on.

That being said I've heard horror stories about VWs as well. But I treat mine extremely well and I think any car treated properly, like not treating every red light like the dragstrip, they will last and have few problems.

Obviously there will be bias on either end but that dosn't mean people should come on hear and talk out of their a$$ to try and prove their car is better. Funny you don't see any VW supporters on here stating that Talons are hard to work on and are unreliable when they have no clue :rolleyes:

All I can say is VW have been very reliable for me for the past 6 years and thats why I keep going back.....that and the fact they are an absolute blast to drive!!

heavyD
03-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Since you say I'm not being truthful, you'll have to learn the hard way not to spout shit like this when there is evidence to back up my claims.

The horror stories you have heard are plenty when it comes to VW's. I actually was looking at 2000 - 2002 Jettas a few years back and took three for test drives and all three had problems like power windows not working, windshield wipers coming on if you hit a bump, one kept stalling (probably due to the faulty coil packs VW used for a while). My brother owns an Audi A4 1.8T so I know all about the little but expensive quirks with these cars, temperature/pressure senders failing, faulty 6-disc changers, extended warranty due to oil sludge problems with the 1.8T.

You want truthful look at this site is has (2000 members):
http://www.myvwlemon.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000150.html
or this:
http://www.suckercars.com/index.pl/lemon_cars

Maybe Time magazine isn't truthful:
http://www.time.com/time/globalbusiness/article/0,9171,1101031124-543826,00.html

I would not recommend a VW to anyone as they are probably the worst car you can buy.

Canaduh
03-01-2005, 09:03 AM
and mitsubishi has no problems at all:drama:

nothing like head gaskets, motors, tranny's etc. I used to work on them for a living, they are far from perfect either. you get lemons in every brand. oh not to mention the zero tolerance motors, your timing belt skips a tooth and kiss your engine or at least pistons good bye.:thumbsup:

heavyD
03-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Canaduh
and mitsubishi has no problems at all:drama:

nothing like head gaskets, motors, tranny's etc. I used to work on them for a living, they are far from perfect either. you get lemons in every brand. oh not to mention the zero tolerance motors, your timing belt skips a tooth and kiss your engine or at least pistons good bye.:thumbsup:

I never said Mitsubishi's didn't have problems did I.:rolleyes: Thing is that turbocharged talons and elclipses were discontinued 6 years ago and the many you say you fixed are probably 1994 and earlier which makes them 10 - 14 year old cars. If you know much about cars you will know that turbocharged cars don't age near as well as N/A cars. I'm talking about relatively new 2000 and up VW's shitting the bed. VW lovers can't win this argument no matter what they say.

Canaduh
03-01-2005, 09:18 AM
ok mr mechanic, good call:banghead:

too bad in 1994 I was 16 years old, but thanks for coming out. Ignorance is bliss. Maybe get some better facts and come back with something better then some retard who wrote a "lemon book" yeah some 2000 and up VW's had problems, but every manufacturer has problems. That doesn't mean there is no such thing as a good vw from 2000 up.

Also I didn't see the person who started this thread asking about a 2000 and up VW, did you?:dunno:

heavyD
03-01-2005, 10:23 AM
too bad in 1994 I was 16 years old, but thanks for coming out.

Oh I see. You were 17 in 1995 and 18 in 1996. How is your age in 1994 relevant to anything? Stay out of the thread if you have nothing useful to contribute.:thumbsup:

I don't particularily like when someone says I'm not being truthful when I am. Let's quit the bashing and stick with the original subject as kids are starting to ruin the thread.

Anyway it's obvious that the VW guys will say VW and the Mitsu guys will say talon. Fortunately I'm sure that the fella that made the post has a mind of his own and will make his own decision based on his personal tastes and a mechanical inspection as there are no garentees on any used cars.

Canaduh
03-01-2005, 10:25 AM
uh the point was when i was workin on mitsub's i wasnt just talkin about pre 1994 retard. the whole point was there are shit cars in every manufacturer's stable. you just seem to like shit talkin vw's. you stated your opinion once, move along. the person who started this thread was talkin about a 92 talon and a 94 golf, given the choice I would take the golf. I didn't say shit about a 2000+ VW.:whocares:

DUBBED
03-01-2005, 10:26 AM
I had a GTi almost identical to that for almost a year and had NO problems. I regret selling it. :(

heavyD
03-01-2005, 10:27 AM
oh not to mention the zero tolerance motors, your timing belt skips a tooth and kiss your engine or at least pistons good bye.:thumbsup:

Skip a tooth and kiss your pistons goodbye? I call BS on that. If the belt fails yes. Most twincam design engines destroy valves and pistons if the timing belt fails. Thanks for the useful input.:rolleyes:

heavyD
03-01-2005, 10:28 AM
uh the point was when i was workin on mitsub's i wasnt just talkin about pre 1994 retard. the whole point was there are shit cars in every manufacturer's stable. you just seem to like shit talkin vw's. you stated your opinion once, move along. the person who started this thread was talkin about a 92 talon and a 94 golf, given the choice I would take the golf. I didn't say shit about a 2000+ VW.:whocares:

See what happens when kids degrade threads into insults.:thumbsdow

Canaduh
03-01-2005, 10:29 AM
was there a part about zero tolerance you missed asshole? go do some research, then come back with some brains.

that or just stop whoring your bullshit in this guys thread:bullshit:

heavyD
03-01-2005, 10:32 AM
was there a part about zero tolerance you missed asshole? go do some research, then come back with some brains.

that or just stop whoring your bullshit in this guys thread:bullshit:

Kids.:rolleyes:

Weapon_R
03-01-2005, 10:32 AM
I own neither but i'd still pick the golf. Its newer, its got less mileage, and IMO, looks better.

As for quality, although the VW guys will probably jump up on me, they are not well built cars. If you are used to Honda or Toyota or Nissan or GM or even Chrysler reliability, you may be surprised. I was very close to buying a MKIV, but too many websites and LOW, LOW VW ratings turned me off considerably.

BumpinTalon
03-01-2005, 10:33 AM
dunno where everyone is getting this whole idea for parts being cheap for VWs. if you can afford to tune your German car then of course parts will be cheap in comparison, but last I checked people my age had a hard time paying the premiums for OE volkswagon parts.

Canaduh
03-01-2005, 10:35 AM

Kids.:rolleyes:

kids eh dickhead? 27 makes me a kid? like I said, why don't you go whore in someone else's thread. your point is proven, talon's are better cars:bullshit:

heavyD
03-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I own neither but i'd still pick the golf. Its newer, its got less mileage, and IMO, looks better.

As for quality, although the VW guys will probably jump up on me, they are not well built cars. If you are used to Honda or Toyota or Nissan or GM or even Chrysler reliability, you may be surprised. I was very close to buying a MKIV, but too many websites and LOW, LOW VW ratings turned me off considerably.

Thank you. That is all I said originally as this is well known and documented. I get all these guys saying that I'm not truthful and kids calling me names. If it walks like a duck ..........

Please note also that in my first post I said I would take the lower mileage car. That would be the VW apparently. I didn't start the flame wars.

Euro_Trash
03-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Its ridiculous how you can't seem to coprehend our sides of the argument: look at how many people have good things to say about VW's compared to how many people have bad things to say about talons/eclipses/lasers. The only big problem with VW's that I have heard are big problems with Corrados (haven't experienced yet myself, knock on wood), and I've heard of 2 cases of the heated seats in an MK4 light on fire. For some reason people think VW's are shit boxes, and yet I have owned 3 myself, and my family has gone through 2, and we have not seen any problems that you would not see with older cars. And even if 2000+ break down, that is irrelevent to this discussion. You drive a talon, so say you like your car, but don't start saying shit about VW's.. especially if you have no had any extended experience yourself. With my experience, I would say that what you said is BS

DonJuan
03-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Well... my opinion is to get the Golf, cuz owning the Talon would make you a DSM owner; and the last thing anyone needs is another DSM E-Thug.

And as far as reliability of DSM's go:
HeavyD is you car running yet?

EK 2.0
03-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
Well... my opinion is to get the Golf, cuz owning the Talon would make you a DSM owner; and the last thing anyone needs is another DSM E-Thug.

WHAT THE FU*K?!?!

Not ALL DSM onwers are "E-THUGS"...well I wasn't one...and that statement is a generalization of all DSMer's...

oh looky here...this entire thread has been generalizations about one make vs. another...

MK3HKS should have just made a poll, and not asked for opinions...but get the car that appeals to YOU more not how much it appeals to every tome, dick, and harry on beyond...EVERYONE has thier biases, and that is gonna effect their posts and thinking...

Get a car that stands out to you...get it THOUROUGHLY inspected...whether DSM, Honda, Vee Dub, Toyota, or LADA...and you will be happy...

good luck with your search...

heavyD
03-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan

Ha. Ha. I'm an E-thug.:bigpimp:

Both of my DSMs are purring. You must be referring to my Eclipse that spun a rod bearng last spring. It's been running flawlessly since August. It actually wasn't a problem with the car at all. I bought a powdercoated valve cover off of ebay and found out the hard and expensive way not to do that ever again. The bastards bead blasted the bottom of the valve cover so the baffles get full of beads. I figured it out as I put on a new FPT28 the same time as the valve cover and spun the rod bearing a few weeks later and the turbo seals were leaking. I tried to get warranty from forced performance and they said the turbo seals failed due to oil contamination. I took the valve cover put it in the bathtub full of water and after a few minutes there were little beads on the bottom of the tub.:cry: It's a shitty lesson to learn but that's life. Now I have a fully built engine so life aint all bad.

heavyD
03-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

WHAT THE FU*K?!?!

Not ALL DSM onwers are "E-THUGS"...well I wasn't one...and that statement is a generalization of all DSMer's...

oh looky here...this entire thread has been generalizations about one make vs. another...

MK3HKS should have just made a poll, and not asked for opinions...but get the car that appeals to YOU more not how much it appeals to every tome, dick, and harry on beyond...EVERYONE has thier biases, and that is gonna effect their posts and thinking...

Get a car that stands out to you...get it THOUROUGHLY inspected...whether DSM, Honda, Vee Dub, Toyota, or LADA...and you will be happy...

good luck with your search...

Yeah Yeah. We know you are now a TypeR E-thug.;) JK.

maximus
03-01-2005, 04:42 PM

You want truthful look at this site is has (2000 members):
http://www.myvwlemon.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000150.html
or this:
http://www.suckercars.com/index.pl/lemon_cars

Maybe Time magazine isn't truthful:
http://www.time.com/time/globalbusiness/article/0,9171,1101031124-543826,00.html

I would not recommend a VW to anyone as they are probably the worst car you can buy.

:rofl:

The first link is another forum where there should be tons of people who hate 'lemons' since they specifically go looking for that forum yet only two people agree with that guys opinion. Read some of the other posts they make some good counter-arguments as well. 2000 members yet few agree with him?

"90% of Canadian VW/Audi owners say , they would purchase the same vehicle again." I find that interesting. If they suck soo bad and are always in the dealership like you imply since they are unreliable then why would people go back?

I think most people will agree that VW did indeed screw up with the MKIV 1.8T. Everyone knows about the distributor problems blah blah blah. I just don't see how you can generalize that because of 1 model that had problems that the all VW are unreliable and poorly built. Thats pretty sad. Do you forget the TDi's? They suck too right because the are made by VW?

My brother bought a 2000 2.OL couple years ago and guess what.....no major problems! After 60,000 kms he had to change the MAF and O2 sensor. Under warrenty, big deal.

Just curious as to why you think they are not well built? I'm not saying that they are Hondas which are engineered to be super reliable and are, but they aren't as bad as people are making them out to be. Again I've, and all people I know, have had little problems with them.

And sure parts are expensive when you go to the dealership. Most parts, especially for the 8v engines, are not that bad. I recently tuned up my 16v and paid about $65 for spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter and accelerator cable. All Bosh parts. I could have saved by buying cheaper stuff as well like autolite plugs and fram filters. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is yes you should decide but most of all don't believe everything you read on internet forums. Bring potential car purchases to a certified mechanic and get their opinion.

heavyD
03-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by maximus

:rofl:

The first link is another forum where there should be tons of people who hate 'lemons' since they specifically go looking for that forum yet only two people agree with that guys opinion. Read some of the other posts they make some good counter-arguments as well. 2000 members yet few agree with him?

"90% of Canadian VW/Audi owners say , they would purchase the same vehicle again." I find that interesting. If they suck soo bad and are always in the dealership like you imply since they are unreliable then why would people go back?

I think most people will agree that VW did indeed screw up with the MKIV 1.8T. Everyone knows about the distributor problems blah blah blah. I just don't see how you can generalize that because of 1 model that had problems that the all VW are unreliable and poorly built. Thats pretty sad. Do you forget the TDi's? They suck too right because the are made by VW?

My brother bought a 2000 2.OL couple years ago and guess what.....no major problems! After 60,000 kms he had to change the MAF and O2 sensor. Under warrenty, big deal.

Just curious as to why you think they are not well built? I'm not saying that they are Hondas which are engineered to be super reliable and are, but they aren't as bad as people are making them out to be. Again I've, and all people I know, have had little problems with them.

And sure parts are expensive when you go to the dealership. Most parts, especially for the 8v engines, are not that bad. I recently tuned up my 16v and paid about $65 for spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter and accelerator cable. All Bosh parts. I could have saved by buying cheaper stuff as well like autolite plugs and fram filters. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is yes you should decide but most of all don't believe everything you read on internet forums. Bring potential car purchases to a certified mechanic and get their opinion.

Time magazine shouldn't be trusted?

Honesly I think its great that you VW guys are so passionate about your cars and I'm sure that only a small percentage of VW's are lemons but they have been perennial poor performers also on JD power & associates rankings for used vehicles. Compared to most vehicles out there you have a better chance of getting a lemon in a VW. I'm certainly not a VW hater but a spade is a spade.

Mitsubishi's have their share of problems also and are below the industry average (so is Nissan, Mazda, & Subaru for that matter) for reliability but at least I admit that this true. Lets just leave it alone and let the guy pick the car which he thinks will be the best for him.

Khyron
03-01-2005, 05:19 PM
First of all, using reliability reports of the much maligned A4 MK4 chasis/engines (1999.5-2005) to justify claims about the MK3 chasis/engines makes about as much sense as bashing the Talon because some guys with Lancers had problems.

Secondly, the MK2 is one of the more reliable cars you can get. The MK3 is not as rock solid as the 2, but still very reliable. The MK4 had a shitload of issues, but they were all minor stupid annoying things. The 1.8T engine was one of Wards top 10 engines at least once. Coils were an issue, but I carried a 20 dollar spare in the trunk and was able to change it on the side of the road in about 5 minutes with just a screw-driver. A total screw-up for sure (by Bosche), but not the same as a faulty head-gasket or a grenading transmission.

I love my car, but I wouldn't have recommended it to a non car person during 01-03 just because of those stupid problems. Mind you, aside from cracking my oilpan and the 2 self-repaired coils before the recall, I've had no problems at all. And dealer experiences have been good thus far. Shrug.

As to the original question I'd get the Talon because it's faaasst. :D

PS: MK5 GTI with DSG will pwn you all!

Khyron

maximus
03-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
First of all, using reliability reports of the much maligned A4 MK4 chasis/engines (1999.5-2005) to justify claims about the MK3 chasis/engines makes about as much sense as bashing the Talon because some guys with Lancers had problems.

Thats my point. He's using one model's problems to make statements like this.

:dunno:

heavyD
03-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by maximus
Thats my point. He's using one model's problems to make statements like this. :dunno:

Guys it's okay. Lets quit bashing each others cars. I actually was going to get a Jetta because I like the VR6 so it's not like I hate VW's or anything.

If anything good comes out of this post it is an idea for my new sig. I'll try ti grt it up tonight.

SuggarDaddy
03-01-2005, 08:38 PM
wow! might i say in that picture the stock-looking, talon looke better than the "ricy" gti!

i think the answer is simple! Talon, it can become a money pit if you'r stupid and no nothing about cars and how to treat them.

1. talons look 10 times nicer ... ANY year.
2. There's sooooo much more potential with a talon than a gti!

but that's me :)

MK3HKS
03-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by SuggarDaddy
wow! might i say in that picture the stock-looking, talon looke better than the "ricy" gti!

i think the answer is simple! Talon, it can become a money pit if you'r stupid and no nothing about cars and how to treat them.

1. talons look 10 times nicer ... ANY year.
2. There's sooooo much more potential with a talon than a gti!

but that's me :)

the gti is not "rice" its nice and clean.....

this is rice........
http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~veggetto/ricer1.jpg

Euro_Trash
03-01-2005, 09:30 PM
How the hell do rims and lowering make a car rice? Shit I better leave the stockies on and put a lift on my car

DonJuan
03-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
MK5 GTI with DSG will pwn you all!
Khyron
Not me, cuz my Tercel sneaks up on people. (it's the car you think is broken down in the other lane) and then WHAM! Ricer Flyby before you know it! What I said about DSM E-thugs was meant to be a generalization "I was misquoted by the Media." To tell ya the truth there are lots of guys with VW's too that are asses, so they are everythere. And just because people that have bought VW's would buy another doesn't mean it's good, it just means that VW owners have alot of brand loyalty. The Lincoln Towncar has the highest retern buyers of any car, but that doesn't mean that its a good car, it just means that funeral homes and old people like it for some reason. (I got generalizations everywwhere!)

SuggarDaddy
03-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
How the hell do rims and lowering make a car rice? Shit I better leave the stockies on and put a lift on my car

yeah i exaggerated a bit, but i was trying to get a point out.

Khyron
03-03-2005, 12:11 AM
http://www.nexus-point.net/forums/neverlose2.jpg

Euro_Trash
03-03-2005, 12:37 AM
Hahahaha I used to have a van exactly like that but Brown

MK3HKS
03-05-2005, 06:14 PM
thanx guys for all the info, i decided iam gonna go with a GTi , till i find a 2nd gen talon tsi awd for cheap :thumbsup:

btw: i know the one in the picture is a 1st gen , but i like the 2nd gens alot more, but they are alot more $ too, so iam just gonna drive the GTi till i find a talon for cheap :D

Canaduh
03-05-2005, 06:21 PM
whatever makes you happy, everyone will have a different opinion. and just so the morons like heavy d can stfu, if it was a newer talon or eclipse I would have had a harder time with a verdict.

:drama:

heavyD
03-05-2005, 07:04 PM
whatever makes you happy, everyone will have a different opinion. and just so the morons like heavy d can stfu, if it was a newer talon or eclipse I would have had a harder time with a verdict.

:drama:

It's been a long time since I've seen such an idiot grace these boards. Congratulations! People can disagree but you don't have to make it personal. Grow up.:english:

Canaduh
03-05-2005, 07:12 PM
sorry, thats what us "kids" do asshole. Maybe next time spit your opinion out once and stfu instead of ranting on about something that you obviously don't know all the facts about

:whocares: :guns:

Go4Long
03-05-2005, 07:35 PM
sorry, thats what us "kids" do asshole. Maybe next time spit your opinion out once and stfu instead of ranting on about something that you obviously don't know all the facts about

:whocares: :guns:

when you're what you drive column says your mom, you are bound to get a couple of "kids" remarks. if you're 27 and still think that's funny I've got a great limerick about a man from nantucket that you will love.

now to contribute something useful to the thread, my mom had a Jetta 2.0L that cost her $6k in maintenance in a month(and wouldn't ya know it, just after the warrenty expired). No one expects any car to have a perfect maintenance history with all it's owners, because for some reason, people are idiots when it comes to their cars. "MY MOTOR BLEW AFTER 50'000km WHAT THE F*CK??", "well, did you change the oil regularly?", "NO THEY SAID YOU ONLY NEED TO DO MAINTENANCE EVERY 60'000km" stupid stuff like that, work in the serivce department in any dealership and you will hear at least one STUPID comment a day, I guarentee it.
Are either of these cars the most reliable cars on the market? no, of course not, if you want a car that's gonna last a million km's on the original motor, go buy a corolla and keep it stock.
Yeah, a lot of 4G63 cars have probably bit the big one hard over the years, but look at any other factory turbo car, and you will see the exact same thing, it's entirely to easy to just buy a boost controller and crank the boost and blow the motor. Will you see a lot of Jetta/Golf 2.0L's that have blown up motors, nah, probly not, they're slow, n/a, and a bitch to really get a lot of power out of(short of a $4k supercharger).
so go past the motors and look at the rest of the car. VW's have a lot of little electrical ghosts and the likes, deny it if you want, but I've been around one for a while and seen em first hand.
I've never owned a talon, hoping to soon, good luck with your volkswagen...it boils down to choice, there's a lot of people on this board that are passionate about DSM's, and a lot that are passionate about VW's, put em together, and you've got this thread.

Canaduh
03-05-2005, 07:49 PM
"when you're what you drive column says your mom, you are bound to get a couple of "kids" remarks. if you're 27 and still think that's funny I've got a great limerick about a man from nantucket that you will love."

wow im so impressed.....now who's the kid :drama:

and you missed the point. I've been around a dealership or two and every manufacturer makes shitty cars, there are bad and good with everything. The point was he could have stated his opinion once and stfu, instead he went on and on about a model of VW that wasn't even involved and aparently that meant all vw's are shit? both of them are nice cars, ive had an eclipse and i've had a jetta. Given the two choices in the begining of this thread I would have taken the VW, and as I stated if it was a newer talon or eclipse I would have had a harder time making a decision.

Go4Long
03-05-2005, 07:52 PM
wow im so impressed.....now who's the kid :drama:

thanks for proving my point.

this is a forum, forums are designed for discussion, he was reinforcing his opinion with evidence(the links) and personal experience. Same as you are trying to do.

MK3HKS
03-05-2005, 08:30 PM
can the next mod who sees this thread please close it, ppl are e-thuggin it...:closed: