PDA

View Full Version : Clear Plastic Rock Guard

bokchoy
03-01-2005, 08:36 PM
I am looking at getting a rock guard on my new car in waiting (G35 - can't wait!!!) and was wondering you all could provide me input as to which company to go with for the rock guard, 3M Trimline or Shadow Tint. I've done some reading here and have also done some calling and both of these places are at the top of my list. Can you let me know your preference and why?

Also, for those that have 3M on your rides, can you let me know if you've experienced any discoloration or yellowing? I'm getting a white one and this is my top concern.

Thanks!

FiveFreshFish
03-01-2005, 09:22 PM
The two cars I have with the 3M film are both dark (blue and black) so they hide any effects of yellowing, if there is any at all. Wax buildup at the edge is a problem if you're not careful. Might not be an issue with a white car.

On my black car, the 3M stuff is at least 7 or 8 years old and it's the thick stuff. In the picture below, you can barely see it on the hood. It's there; just not very visible given the camera angle and lighting conditions.

Look at the fog light. It has the same old, thick 3M film as the hood and you can see it has yellowed slightly compared with the headlights that have the new 3M film that are only 6 months old.

The new films these days are thinner and are less prone to yellowing. If you garage your car most of the time, you won't have any problem with yellowing, IMO.

vincent-h
03-20-2005, 02:32 PM
on a white car it WILL yellow slightly as I had it on my last white subaru and it does start to yellow slightly. But only under close inspection and was wax gets stuck inbetween sometimes so you have to watch it.

but from afar and taking pictures you'll never notice at all. It helps a shit load I had it on my old subaru and I didni't put in on my new one and my new one I've driven half as much as my old out and it's got 3times the amoutn of chips.

knox
07-26-2005, 11:03 AM
go to shadow tinting
he is really good

Sharpie
07-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Spy Design in okotoks has rickashay (sp?). Might wanna try them.

knox
08-19-2005, 09:21 AM
hey
try mel at look shady
403-862-9670

mac_82
08-19-2005, 09:25 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90984